Why Broussard left team

aubiefifty

Al.com, obvious bammers being obvious. There is nothing the author needs to be writing about Auburn with regards to this topic because it isn't unique to CFB. The writer gets the 2018 Captain Obvious award.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Sully to Beasley said:

I would rather read the phone book (do they still have those????)

😋

80497E06-B858-4A23-A73B-BC3FA68F8441.jpeg

The best guys play.  If he was one of the best he would have been on the field.  If I remember correctly Smoke made the last sack against Washington and he was a true freshman.  

If a player's confidence is shaken by a player transferring, that player would probably be eaten alive by a major program anyways. It seems most of the kids who seek the big lights already consider themselves better than most of the players on the team.

Clemson and Alabama benched their starting QBs that played in the college playoffs and have true freshmen all over the field, didn't skip a beat. Auburn loses a non-impact player and people here think the program is collapsing. To me, that's a worse look than the article.

The question was who was Broussard going to beat out to get PT.  While I was not always happy with our DB play last year we had a pretty solid group of DB's with what appears to be a really solid class coming in. Broussard said in the article that he had improved under these coaches so it appears what he was upset about was PT not the teaching he was getting.  It was his job to impress the coached enough to get PT if he didn't impress them enough that was on him. 

Not even a story. If he was as good as he thinks he is he could have given it 3 more games to crack the lineup. Good luck to him. 

I didn’t blame NCM for leaving. He left quietly and kept the negativity ( that he obviously felt) to himself. 

5 hours ago, TigerOne said:

negative article but does highlight coaching issues we discuss here. Gus has never seemed to use all of the talent and weapons Auburn has on the bench.

If what we see during a game is what he see's in practice then we are in bad shape.

I think the problem here is Gus used his talent. And he had 5 or 6 DBs who were more talented than Broussard.

Many of these highly talented 4-stars and 5-stars who transfer from Auburn do not become all-stars at their new schools. For the athletes with discipline problems, those problems do not magically go away simply by transferring schools.

To me, it more reflects on poor talent evaluation by Auburn in the first place.

6 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I think the problem here is Gus used his talent. And he had 5 or 6 DBs who were more talented than Broussard.

We got alot of people on this forum that dont believe he uses his talent.  

21 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Many of these highly talented 4-stars and 5-stars who transfer from Auburn do not become all-stars at their new schools. For the athletes with discipline problems, those problems do not magically go away simply by transferring schools.

To me, it more reflects on poor talent evaluation by Auburn in the first place.

I'm definitely not going to pin some DB leaving on Gus. Nor am I going to assume that one 3-4* getting beat out by a bunch of other 3-4*s is a result of poor talent evaluation.

Talented guys leaving because they can't overtake other talented guys on the depth chart is a good problem. It's a sign of a healthy roster. That's what happens when you have championship depth. Or even when you have our depth. 

5 hours ago, JJB74 said:

people need to quit getting so butt hurt because a teenage kid decides to leave and go play football somewhere else.....it happens to every program around the country

UGA has a highly ranked tight end that left the team this week.....happens to every program.....the media is not out to get Auburn....the sky is not falling....Auburn fans need to stop being "Chicken Little" and start looking at the positives......believe me if you do you will have a happier life.....War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody's hurt because a player that couldn't crack the playing rotation left. Where are the articles about the several four and five star players that have left UAT in the past year? That's what makes Auburn folks mad at Al.com. It's one sided, biased coverage timed to hurt Auburn as much as possible while the same thing happening in Tuscaloser gets swept under the rug.

It is easy to forget that most of the sportswriters in the state graduated from Alabama and so they are naturally going to try their best to show Auburn in the poorest light possible.  When I see a particularly vicious article I will sometimes check the author's past via Google and more times than not they are an Alabama grad.  Only once have I ever found the writer to be an AU grad and then in digging deeper I found that he was on the staff of The Plainsman.  The Plainsman has always been at odds with the football program at Auburn.  When I have found that an author has graduated from Alabama, I usually call them out and suggest that ethically they should disclose their bias at the start of an article.  No politics here Same in this state.  The sportswriters are the mouthpiece for the Alabama program.  Even if they did not graduate from Alabama they are encouraged to write positive articles about Alabama and negative articles about Auburn by their managers and the owners who most likely did graduate from Alabama.  Been this way in this state forever.

JWShewmake

50 minutes ago, JWShewmake said:

When I have found that an author has graduated from Alabama, I usually call them out and suggest that ethically they should disclose their bias at the start of an article. 

I remember when Cowart came here he wanted to be a sports journalist or something. I’m actually surprised he couldn’t go to a better school for that. Like let’s say Bama or Florida. But that is besides the point. Your whole post is deeply flawed.

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

why print this now a couple of days before the early signing period?

Why former top recruit John Broussard Jr. left Auburn mid-season, and what’s happened since

Updated Dec 16, 10:52 PM; Posted Dec 16, 4:11 PM

John Broussard Jr., pictured here when he committed to Auburn in 2015, discussed why it didn't work out with the Tigers, and why he decided to transfer. (Julie Bennett)

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

The look on John Broussard Jr.'s face as he walked off the field, and into the tunnel after Auburn’s season-opening win over Washington said it all. His father could see the dismay in Broussard’s eyes, having not seen the field when the junior DB had every expectation of playing.

Three days later, Broussard Jr. announced that he would be leaving the football program. It was a quick decision, but since there was no indication he had a role on this team, a simple one. He conferred with his parents, some Auburn coaches, and made his exit swiftly.

“I can look at my child and tell, he’s just distraught,” said John Broussard Sr. “... I’d rather him leave the program than stay there and be unhappy.”

Fast forward three emotionally difficult months, and, on Sunday, Broussard Jr. officially committed to Memphis. He will be a graduate transfer — after getting his degree online from Snead State Community College — and will be immediately eligible with two years left to play.

It’s an exciting change for Broussard, who came to Auburn as one of the most highly-touted players in the state of Alabama. He was a local star at Central-Phenix City, ranked as the No. 7 player in the state at the close of the 2016 class. He had a plethora of offers from Mississippi State, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Florida State. A total of 17 offers across almost every powerhouse program.

But in his two years and one game at Auburn, he made just a handful of tackles in a small sampling of on-the-field action.

“I could have played in that game," Broussard Jr. said of the Washington game. “But I just felt like ... during that time at Auburn, I was fighting an uphill battle. I felt like I had earned time, I had earned playing time, but after the first game I didn’t get it. So I just felt like, I didn’t want to waste another year.”

This is coming from the same kid, who, in 2015, told AL.com that he wanted "to go to the NFL. I want to win the Jim Thorpe Award. The Heisman would be a high goal, but it is realistic.”

This is coming from the same player that actually won Auburn’s most improved player award during spring practices in 2018, per his parents. The whole family believed he was on the precipice of getting his opportunity.

“Yes, I think, I think it’s still very much in reach,” Broussard Jr. said of if those same lofty high school goals are in reach. “… No matter where you go your play will show, your tape will show. So I still believe, believe it’s a possibility, winning an award of any sort. … For me, the main thing I want is to just get on the field, I just want to play.”

Broussard Sr. said the family holds no ill will toward Auburn or its coaches. In Broussard Jr.'s post announcing he was leaving the team, he said he loves and appreciates Auburn. He still has many friends on the team.

When asked directly if he thought the coaches communicated clearly with him about his role on the team, Broussard Jr. was less emphatic. He waited six seconds before saying “um,” and then 13 seconds total before saying, “Well, I really don’t want to talk about the coaches."

Auburn’s safeties coach Greg Brown said in August that Broussard “has done nothing but come along steadily” during the offseason. When Broussard announced his departure, head coach Gus Malzahn said “We wish him nothing but the best.”

Broussard Jr.'s decision to leave left him in a bind academically, and he had to enroll in a community college in order to receive his associates degree. He will graduate this semester. There have only been a few days where he hasn’t worked out, as he prepared for his next move.

Those same schools didn’t come calling. But his choice came down to Memphis and Florida Atlantic — he took official visits to both schools.

He said it’s a little hard to see players he knew growing up, and guys he knew at Auburn declaring for the NFL Draft, taking those next big steps that he envisioned for himself.

“It breaks your heart,” said his mother, Vickie Broussard. "It makes you feel bad as a parent, because you can’t do anything about it. When your child feels bad, it makes you feel bad.”

But there’s solace in getting another opportunity. And that’s what is in front of Broussard now. He will sign his National Letter of Intent on Wednesday, and soon the spring practices will be going on. It is not how he planed for things at Auburn to go.

He believed he should have played, and that he was ready to play, and, to some extent, that he and his family were recently led to believe he would play. At Memphis, he hopes there’s a chance to showcase his capability.

“I really improved a lot, I got a lot better,” Broussard Jr. said. “… Not only have I kept my ability when I first signed, I feel like I’ve gotten better.”

Possibly a PSA for the young men who might be contemplating allowing Gus to ruin their careers? 

Or it could be black helicopters.

image.png

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Well that proves it.  Shut down all message boards.  NOBODY is right.  

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Wonder what comments he is referring to? As far as I can tell from the article, Broussard wasn’t getting playing time. Broussard thought he should be getting playing time. He decided to leave Auburn and find playing time elsewhere. No way Kevin Steele intentionally allows the “best players” to sit on the sideline. I understand Brousard’s frustrations with not getting pt. Glad he found somewhere to land, but putting this on the coaches is a stretch at best. 

12 hours ago, JJB74 said:

people need to quit getting so butt hurt because a teenage kid decides to leave and go play football somewhere else.....it happens to every program around the country

UGA has a highly ranked tight end that left the team this week.....happens to every program.....the media is not out to get Auburn....the sky is not falling....Auburn fans need to stop being "Chicken Little" and start looking at the positives......believe me if you do you will have a happier life.....War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also know a turd when we see one. And yes....the al.com media is out to promote spuat and rip AU. 

Archived