Why Broussard left team

aubiefifty

why print this now a couple of days before the early signing period?

Why former top recruit John Broussard Jr. left Auburn mid-season, and what’s happened since

Updated Dec 16, 10:52 PM; Posted Dec 16, 4:11 PM

John Broussard Jr., pictured here when he committed to Auburn in 2015, discussed why it didn't work out with the Tigers, and why he decided to transfer. (Julie Bennett)

0 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

SBlum@al.com

The look on John Broussard Jr.'s face as he walked off the field, and into the tunnel after Auburn’s season-opening win over Washington said it all. His father could see the dismay in Broussard’s eyes, having not seen the field when the junior DB had every expectation of playing.

Three days later, Broussard Jr. announced that he would be leaving the football program. It was a quick decision, but since there was no indication he had a role on this team, a simple one. He conferred with his parents, some Auburn coaches, and made his exit swiftly.

“I can look at my child and tell, he’s just distraught,” said John Broussard Sr. “... I’d rather him leave the program than stay there and be unhappy.”

Fast forward three emotionally difficult months, and, on Sunday, Broussard Jr. officially committed to Memphis. He will be a graduate transfer — after getting his degree online from Snead State Community College — and will be immediately eligible with two years left to play.

It’s an exciting change for Broussard, who came to Auburn as one of the most highly-touted players in the state of Alabama. He was a local star at Central-Phenix City, ranked as the No. 7 player in the state at the close of the 2016 class. He had a plethora of offers from Mississippi State, Clemson, LSU, Michigan, Florida State. A total of 17 offers across almost every powerhouse program.

But in his two years and one game at Auburn, he made just a handful of tackles in a small sampling of on-the-field action.

“I could have played in that game," Broussard Jr. said of the Washington game. “But I just felt like ... during that time at Auburn, I was fighting an uphill battle. I felt like I had earned time, I had earned playing time, but after the first game I didn’t get it. So I just felt like, I didn’t want to waste another year.”

This is coming from the same kid, who, in 2015, told AL.com that he wanted "to go to the NFL. I want to win the Jim Thorpe Award. The Heisman would be a high goal, but it is realistic.”

This is coming from the same player that actually won Auburn’s most improved player award during spring practices in 2018, per his parents. The whole family believed he was on the precipice of getting his opportunity.

“Yes, I think, I think it’s still very much in reach,” Broussard Jr. said of if those same lofty high school goals are in reach. “… No matter where you go your play will show, your tape will show. So I still believe, believe it’s a possibility, winning an award of any sort. … For me, the main thing I want is to just get on the field, I just want to play.”

Broussard Sr. said the family holds no ill will toward Auburn or its coaches. In Broussard Jr.'s post announcing he was leaving the team, he said he loves and appreciates Auburn. He still has many friends on the team.

When asked directly if he thought the coaches communicated clearly with him about his role on the team, Broussard Jr. was less emphatic. He waited six seconds before saying “um,” and then 13 seconds total before saying, “Well, I really don’t want to talk about the coaches."

Auburn’s safeties coach Greg Brown said in August that Broussard “has done nothing but come along steadily” during the offseason. When Broussard announced his departure, head coach Gus Malzahn said “We wish him nothing but the best.”

Broussard Jr.'s decision to leave left him in a bind academically, and he had to enroll in a community college in order to receive his associates degree. He will graduate this semester. There have only been a few days where he hasn’t worked out, as he prepared for his next move.

Those same schools didn’t come calling. But his choice came down to Memphis and Florida Atlantic — he took official visits to both schools.

He said it’s a little hard to see players he knew growing up, and guys he knew at Auburn declaring for the NFL Draft, taking those next big steps that he envisioned for himself.

“It breaks your heart,” said his mother, Vickie Broussard. "It makes you feel bad as a parent, because you can’t do anything about it. When your child feels bad, it makes you feel bad.”

But there’s solace in getting another opportunity. And that’s what is in front of Broussard now. He will sign his National Letter of Intent on Wednesday, and soon the spring practices will be going on. It is not how he planed for things at Auburn to go.

He believed he should have played, and that he was ready to play, and, to some extent, that he and his family were recently led to believe he would play. At Memphis, he hopes there’s a chance to showcase his capability.

“I really improved a lot, I got a lot better,” Broussard Jr. said. “… Not only have I kept my ability when I first signed, I feel like I’ve gotten better.”

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I don't ever recall AL.com writing stories on players being "processed" by UAT, especially not around signing time.

That makes two stories this year by AL.com: Asa Martin and now Broussard. Same M.O. Interview the parents.

It is scummy reporting, click-bait driven, but who will hold them to account? Do you think any of the beat reporters or private site reporters will? Nope. I have yet to read one sports reporter take Scott Gleeson to task over digging up Kyler Murray's junior high tweets.

What about Brandon Marcello's story claiming Malzahn was forced to renegotiate his buy out to get authority to change assistant coaches, and agreed to it? Only followed by stories Malzahn was not given the authority to change assistant coaches, and Malzhan later denied any contract changes. When Marcello was asked if he stood by his original story, crickets.

I don't doubt there are some sports reporters who look at the muck racking and say "Oh, I wish I had thought to do that article", and there are others who say "These guys are ruining our profession." But those with the latter opinion stay quiet, because they know for every one of them, there are a dozen young members of the former group.

because that site is an extension of uat football. They are a recruiting tool and media hype source for anything uat.

They are required to print negative slant articles about Auburn on a regular basis otherwise lose funding and access to uat.

It's predictable. Every year before the signing days there will be a hit piece by Al.com. There will be another similar attempt by them just before the February signing date. Their annual AU bashing right before the Iron Bowl is as predictable as sunrise. Thanks for posting the entire article, as i don't give Al.com clicks if i can help it.

people need to quit getting so butt hurt because a teenage kid decides to leave and go play football somewhere else.....it happens to every program around the country

UGA has a highly ranked tight end that left the team this week.....happens to every program.....the media is not out to get Auburn....the sky is not falling....Auburn fans need to stop being "Chicken Little" and start looking at the positives......believe me if you do you will have a happier life.....War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

negative article but does highlight coaching issues we discuss here. Gus has never seemed to use all of the talent and weapons Auburn has on the bench.

If what we see during a game is what he see's in practice then we are in bad shape.

Meh.  Maybe a swipe, not a hit.  Some kids don't realize their dreams at the school of their choice and have to move on for a chance to play.  Happens hundreds of times every year.  

My feeling is that if Broussard  was the best option to be playing against UW, the coaches would have had him playing. Surely he would have gotten other opportunities later in the season but apparently PT somewhere else was more important than being on the Auburn football team. I don't fault our coaches for this. The grass may be greener somewhere else, but maybe not.

22 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Yep. I don't ever recall AL.com writing stories on players being "processed" by UAT, especially not around signing time.

That makes two stories this year by AL.com: Asa Martin and now Broussard. Same M.O. Interview the parents.

It is scummy reporting, click-bait driven, but who will hold them to account? Do you think any of the beat reporters or private site reporters will? Nope. I have yet to read one sports reporter take Scott Gleeson to task over digging up Kyler Murray's junior high tweets.

What about Brandon Marcello's story claiming Malzahn was forced to renegotiate his buy out to get authority to change assistant coaches, and agreed to it? Only followed by stories Malzahn was not given the authority to change assistant coaches, and Malzhan later denied any contract changes. When Marcello was asked if he stood by his original story, crickets.

I don't doubt there are some sports reporters who look at the muck racking and say "Oh, I wish I had thought to do that article", and there are others who say "These guys are ruining our profession." But those with the latter opinion stay quiet, because they know for every one of them, there are a dozen young members of the former group.

That was Phillip Marshall's reporting. Guys at rivals reported similar info. 

I don’t why people blame Gus for Broussard leaving.  Kevin Steele makes the call on who starts on defense and if he couldn’t crack the lineup then that’s on Broussard.  Kevin Steele is going to put the best 11 out there.  It’s a lazy story during a slow part of the season.  

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Does anyone really read AL.com anymore. Serious question. 

Fifty does as he posts 5-10 article from them a day.

Im sure the reason alot of people leave their college team is because they arnt playing....  I had him as a 3*....   when was the last time a DB won a Heisman? 

1 minute ago, auskip07 said:

Im sure the reason alot of people leave their college team is because they arnt playing....  I had him as a 3*....   when was the last time a DB won a Heisman? 

When Peyton Manning got ripped off, right?

This actually was a lot less painful than I anticipated.

When the news of the Meyers' brothers and Jalen Harris leaving the program came out I remember seeing Broussard tweeting "It's not the players I promise *crying/laughing emoji*" or something to that effect. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Fifty does as he posts 5-10 article from them a day.

And I appreciate him for doing so. Makes it easier to read what is being said in a one stop shop. So stop. 

9 hours ago, jared52 said:

If AU folks would just ignore the drivel coming from al dot com, it would probably help.

How is it drivel? Immediately after NCM left, Broussard posted and deleted a cryptic but negative tweet about our coaches. I was expecting much worse. Broussard clearly didn’t like our coaches.

As for the timing of the article, Broussard just now committed to Memphis. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

How is it drivel? Immediately after NCM left, Broussard posted and deleted a cryptic but negative tweet about our coaches. I was expecting much worst. Broussard clearly didn’t like our coaches.

As for the timing of the article, Broussard just now committed to Memphis. 

I meant al dot com in general. I'm saying there's nothing to get worked up about if you just ignore them. That's what I do.

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

I meant al dot com in general. I'm saying there's nothing to get worked up about if you just ignore them. That's what I do.

Fifty can put an AL.com tag on the threads for those that want to ignore them, but I don’t mind reading their articles.

Sometimes they are okay, sometimes there is a clear bias...Al.com just knew Pearl was a goner for example. 

At least I know what is out there. 

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Fifty can put an AL.com tag on the threads for those that want to ignore them, but I don’t mind reading their articles.

Sometimes they are okay, sometimes there is a clear bias...Al.com just knew Pearl was a goner for example.  

At least I know what is out there.  

Yep, I look at his threads and see who wrote it and move along when I see certain names. No harm in him posting them and it keeps al dot com from getting clicks.

Archived