UGA QB Justin Fields Transfers to Ohio St. (Threads Merged)

GwillMac6

Fields has no grounds to base a waiver on so he will have to sit a year.   If not, we will have free agency break out all over CFB.     And AU likely won't get a sniff of him which is quite telling considering this is the coach that brought in Cam.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd love to know the claim he's presenting to the NCAA and the grounds he's using for a waiver to play in '19.

Indications are he could use the racist comments made by the baseball player as some type of grounds for why he should be able to transfer immediately without having to sit.

Sounds weak as an argument, but the NCAA has been caving more and more recently on reasons to allow transfers to play immediately.

Freshman QB Justin Fields to transfer from Georgia, report says

Updated Dec 17, 7:12 PM; Posted Dec 17, 7:11 PM

Georgia quarterback Justin Fields (1) tries to escape from Georgia Tech linebacker Victor Alexander (9) in the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018, in Athens, Ga. Georgia won 45-21. (AP Photo/John Bazemore) (John Bazemore)

0 shares

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

cstephenson@al.com

Highly touted freshman quarterback Justin Fields will transfer away from Georgia, according to a report Monday by USA Today’s Dan Wolken.

Fields, rated the No. 2 overall prospect in the 2018 class, played in 12 games this season as the primary backup to Jake Fromm. The Kennesaw, Ga., native completed 27 of 39 passes for 328 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions and also rushed for 266 yards and four scores.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Fields was the second-rated quarterback in the country but also in Georgia last season, behind Cartersville product and Clemson phenom Trevor Lawrence. While Lawrence eventually beat out junior Kelly Bryant (who later transferred) for the starting job with the Tigers, the Bulldogs stuck with Fromm (who was a 4-star recruit in the 2017 class).

Under NCAA transfer rules, Fields would sit out the 2019 season and have three years of eligibility beginning in 2020. However, according to the report, Fields is expected to appeal to the NCAA for immediate eligibility.

Georgia has signed a highly-touted quarterback recruit in three straight classes: Fields in 2018, Fromm in 2017 and 5-star prospect Jacob Eason in 2016. Eason later transferred to Washington, where he is projected to be the starter next season.

The Bulldogs have one quarterback committed for their 2019 class: 4-star recruit John Rhys Plumlee of Oak Grove, Mississippi.

He might as well try. Everyone else in the business is using what leverage they can, and some of them are getting awfully rich doing it under much more specious pretenses. 

He should go to JC where he can play a lot and develop his skill base. He would be a huge Free Agent the following year.  Could end up like Murray at OU this year.  It was a major mistake to go to UG and sit on the pine.

13 hours ago, kd4au said:

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year? If so I don't see how it will help him to transfer. Fromm would probably go pro by the time he could play at another school anyway. But yeah I'm all for him coming if that's what he wants.

He is making his case to the NCAA around the September incident of where the N-Word was used towards him from the UGA baseball player, making Fields want to transfer.  Pretty darn good case and a big black eye for UGA.  Anytime UGA looks this bad brings joy to my heart.

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He is making his case to the NCAA around the September incident of where the N-Word was used towards him from the UGA baseball player, making Fields want to transfer.  Pretty darn good case and a big black eye for UGA.  Anytime UGA looks this bad brings joy to my heart.

I was assuming this was gonna be the angle

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

"I handed the ball off good as ****" 

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I like this kid. 

Also, further to a lot of opinions already expressed, seeing this story take top billing on the front page of AJC gives me immense pleasure. 

3 hours ago, keesler said:

He's petitioning on what grounds?  He played in 13 games this year.

Is he petitioning a sit out year because he didn't the PT he thought he deserved?  Is he petitioning because he feels like the coaches & program he voluntarily signed with didn't utilize his talents appropriately?  Is he petitioning because he has an ill family member and needs to be closer to them?

I'd love to know the claim he's presenting to the NCAA and the grounds he's using for a waiver to play in '19.

Someone called him a name.

No, not a coach.

No, not a teammate.

A student-athlete, not involved in any capacity with the football program, who was dismissed. 

Immediate transfer granted!

2 hours ago, LakeBum said:

He should go to JC where he can play a lot and develop his skill base. He would be a huge Free Agent the following year.  Could end up like Murray at OU this year.  It was a major mistake to go to UG and sit on the pine.

JC was a thought of mine too. He’d lose a year of eligibility (instead of RSing), but if he’s really 5-star talent, he can be ready to bolt after 2020.

Murray sat out 2016 and sat the pine behind Mayfield in 2017. So he proved two years of waiting does not snuff out 5-star talent. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also, further to a lot of opinions already expressed, seeing this story take top billing on the front page of AJC gives me immense pleasure. 

Anything that makes UGA look bad makes my day.  I knew this was going to be a good week!

https://atlallday.com/2018/12/18/georgia-bulldogs-justin-fields-transferring-doesnt-matter/

Not making UGa look bad because UGa fans apparently don't let stuff like that bother them.  :dunno:   

We get upset if some guy who barely plays decides to transfer and yet  here is a 5* or high 4* taking off from geogia and mostly folks are saying...."have a good career elsewhere"..

Apparently Luke Ford which is tbe TE that we desperately courted last year is transferring as well. Is still at home in the state of Illinois while UGA conducts bowl practices.

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

https://atlallday.com/2018/12/18/georgia-bulldogs-justin-fields-transferring-doesnt-matter/

Not making UGa look bad because UGa fans apparently don't let stuff like that bother them.  :dunno:   

We get upset if some guy who barely plays decides to transfer and yet  here is a 5* or high 4* taking off from geogia and mostly folks are saying...."have a good career elsewhere"..

"Mostly"? What have you seen other than the one post on a fan blog?

There are at least 5 stories about Fields on AJC today. That's a newspaper that also covers 4 pro franchises and Georgia Tech (sorta). 

• ellitor changed the title to UGA QB Justin Fields "MAY" Transfer

Thread title updated. As of this afternoon per Radio Show 3 Man Front Fields' name is not in the transfer database as of now.

Kirby tried to trick him this year to try and force him to stay. I hope he goes just to shove it back in KS's face.

His reported favorites are Ohio State, Oklahoma, and FSU. Per: https://www.12up.com/posts/6250075-report-justin-fields-would-consider-3-schools-if-he-leaves-georgia/partners/36273

Weren't we 2nd on his list when he chose UGA? I guess he saw all the negative recruiting Smart was doing against AU come to life and figured he'd rather go elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, Tiger said:

His reported favorites are Ohio State, Oklahoma, and FSU. Per: https://www.12up.com/posts/6250075-report-justin-fields-would-consider-3-schools-if-he-leaves-georgia/partners/36273

Weren't we 2nd on his list when he chose UGA? I guess he saw all the negative recruiting Smart was doing against AU come to life and figured he'd rather go elsewhere.

He may or may not be better than Nix but I am sure he doesn't want to take a chance on the same thing happening to him twice. My guess is with Urban gone it's really between OK and FSU.

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Or we have Bo Nix coming in & if JF didn't get NCAA clearance to play immediately they essentially would be in the same class when JF was elkigible & Bo could be the starting QB for a while by then. Also reports of Joey having good Bowl prep. May not be an easy path for JF to start if he does transfer.

3 minutes ago, bg5 said:

My guess is with Urban gone it's really between OK and FSU.

Actually Day is supposedly an offensive guru & a selling point for JF. They may not be sold on Martel (SP?) for the future.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Or we have Bo Nix coming in & if JF didn't get NCAA clearance to play immediately they essentially would be in the same class when JF was elkigible & Bo could be the starting QB for a while by then. Also reports of Joey having good Bowl prep. May not be an easy path for JF to start if he does transfer.

Don't sunshine on my parade, buster! We are wearing panchos over here 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Thread title updated. As of this afternoon per Radio Show 3 Man Front Fields' name is not in the transfer database as of now.

Archived