New approach in bowl preparation

aubiefifty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m in ‘Show me’ mode on our level of prep. I was let down last season, after hearing Gus and our players talk about how fired up and ready they were. A win in this bowl and a good offensive showing would help shift some of the negativity back to some optimism. 

36 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Stidham is going pro let him. START AND PLAY THE OTHER QBS.

Yeah so refuse to let him play his last game... That's the real Auburn thing to do... SMH... No... it isn't. 

Last year people complained when a certain DB sat out the bowl...er...got sick... And "missed" the bowl. Now people are complaining about wanting to force Stidham to sit the bowl game.. 

Some things just make no sense...

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Last year people complained when a certain DB sat out the bowl...er...got sick... And "missed" the bowl. Now people are complaining about wanting to force Stidham to sit the bowl game.. 

Haven’t thought it of this way before. Good point. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah so refuse to let him play his last game... That's the real Auburn thing to do... SMH... No... it isn't. 

Anyone who thinks the coaches should sit Stidham is a cotton-headed ninny muggins. Just my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I’ll also add that I highly suspect Stidham might not have even announced the plans to go pro at this point. He did so on the day Kelly Bryant made his decision which place to transfer. Probably asked to do this by Gus himself to help this recruiting effort. So you don’t stab him in the kidney. 

12 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Anyone who thinks the coaches should sit Stidham is a cotton-headed ninny muggins. Just my opinion. 

Well next year have fun with zero QB experience. I'll remind you of this when you're pissing and moaning because of struggling to 4 wins.

31 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Well next year have fun with zero QB experience. I'll remind you of this when you're pissing and moaning because of struggling to 4 wins.

Seeing Willis/Gatewood/Sandberg playing in a bowl game will not give any of those QBs any meaningful ‘experience’ so why are we trying to make this point? If you want to argue the experience page, whine about Willis not getting more passing reps in 2017, not about starting Stidham in this bowl game. 

Calm down and back off the ledge. 

33 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

If you really think playing them in THIS ONE GAME will help that next year, I have some AMAZING ocean front land in Missouri to sell you. I'll let it go real cheap too.

I will go on record and say I would LOVE to see JoeyG take as many snaps as possible assuming one team or the other is up by 3+ TDs in the 4th.

I'm just not certain it will be us up. But I can only hope it is us. 

But I've been saying it since the matchup was announced, we need to watch out for Rondale Moore and game plan to stop him. The 5-foot-9 Moore leads the nation in receptions (103) and tops the Big Ten in receiving yards (1,164), receiving touchdowns (12) and kickoff return yards (599). He recorded at least 100 all-purpose yards in nine games, including the season opener against Northwestern when he totaled a school-record 313. Since the matchup was announced, the true freshman has become a  All-American WR, The Purdue freshman was named the ninth winner of the Paul Hornung Award, given to the most versatile player in college football, Freshman of the year. Receiver of the Year. First-team All-Big Ten and other awards.

It's interesting, Moore went to the same high school as Jeff Brohm. 

I really hope we can stop their offense, or should I say I hope their offense that played tOSU doesn't show up, lol

Screenshot_20181227-101005.png

I really feel like ours players will be pumped for this game.  Auburn had a crappy regular season and pre-season expectations or hopes of contending for a championship were shot with the Tennessee loss. 

So there is no excuse for our guys to be dejected or depressed about having to play this bowl because they weren't even in contention for the conference or greater things anyway.  They've had 2 months to get their heads straight, heal up, and get prepared to lay it all on the line for this bowl win.  There are no excuses for a loss tomorrow - Gus needs this badly.

48 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I will go on record and say I would LOVE to see JoeyG take as many snaps as possible assuming one team or the other is up by 3+ TDs in the 4th.

I'm just not certain it will be us up. But I can only hope it is us. 

But I've been saying it since the matchup was announced, we need to watch out for Rondale Moore and game plan to stop him. The 5-foot-9 Moore leads the nation in receptions (103) and tops the Big Ten in receiving yards (1,164), receiving touchdowns (12) and kickoff return yards (599). He recorded at least 100 all-purpose yards in nine games, including the season opener against Northwestern when he totaled a school-record 313. Since the matchup was announced, the true freshman has become a  All-American WR, The Purdue freshman was named the ninth winner of the Paul Hornung Award, given to the most versatile player in college football, Freshman of the year. Receiver of the Year. First-team All-Big Ten and other awards.

It's interesting, Moore went to the same high school as Jeff Brohm. 

I really hope we can stop their offense, or should I say I hope their offense that played tOSU doesn't show up, lol

Screenshot_20181227-101005.png

Paging Kevin Steele....

2 hours ago, wde1968 said:

Well to be fair, we had a QB with an SEC West championship season worth of experience and we crawled our way to 7 wins. Soooo there's that.

6 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Seeing Willis/Gatewood/Sandberg playing in a bowl game will not give any of those QBs any meaningful ‘experience’ so why are we trying to make this point? If you want to argue the experience page, whine about Willis not getting more passing reps in 2017, not about starting Stidham in this bowl game. 

Calm down and back off the ledge. 

This would be a chance to see what Willis can do. All these practices at the number 1 and turn him lose. Ledges ass I'm tired of everyone being so tolerant of mediocrity. Tell Gus after Iron Bowl Willis will start the bowl game practice accordingly. If he didn't like it he could quit no buyout win-win.

If we cant win this game without Stidham then next year is a disaster waiting to happen. Smart move is to play Willis and verify he is not the next Jeremy Johnson and hope he has the game day "it factor". And anyone that thinks a full game of experience is not important must not have been watching the early season games under Gus.  Or football in general. Maybe Gus can even figure out what Willis does well before the 3rd game next year. If he performs like Kiehl Frazier or JJ in the bowl then the reps in spring probably look much different. Stidham made a business decision to do what is right for him. The head coach of Auburn needs to do the same. Who to play is not about being nice. It's about winning and winning big next year. Maybe Gus' coach speak about his confidence in next years QB situation was just garbage though and no QB other than Stidham has been prepared to lead. In fact based on past results I'm going to believe that until proven otherwise.

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Gus is going to do all he can to win this game. Trust me its a big ass game for Gus to win.

I thought every game was important. Doesnt he do everything he can to win every game? So this time he really means it, like double pinkie finger swear, gosh darn it. But why is this game so important? He is not getting fired because of this team or this season. What changes if Auburn doesn't win? Who thinks 5 or 6 losses next year is okay as long as we beat Purdue in a bowl? 

6 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I thought every game was important. Doesnt he do everything he can to win every game? So this time he really means it, like double pinkie finger swear, gosh darn it. But why is this game so important? He is not getting fired because of this team or this season. What changes if Auburn doesn't win? Who thinks 5 or 6 losses next year is okay as long as we beat Purdue in a bowl? 

Well OK 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Gus is going to do all he can to win this game. Trust me its a big ass game for Gus to win.

I agree with you golf, but I’m pretty sure if Gus blows it, the first words out of his mouth will be” it’s not the end of the world, we just didn’t execute, but I think we are in a really good place and we had a really good week of practice”.

8 hours ago, keesler said:

I really feel like ours players will be pumped for this game.  Auburn had a crappy regular season and pre-season expectations or hopes of contending for a championship were shot with the Tennessee loss. 

So there is no excuse for our guys to be dejected or depressed about having to play this bowl because they weren't even in contention for the conference or greater things anyway.  They've had 2 months to get their heads straight, heal up, and get prepared to lay it all on the line for this bowl win.  There are no excuses for a loss tomorrow - Gus needs this badly.

I agree with all your point. But you have to remember we still have Gus and as long as we do it won’t matter how much the players want to win.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, keesler said:

It’s always important to dominate in a bowl game and set the stage for the spring and the future, nothings changed.  Auburn needs to win this thing, just like every game.

Agree. For example look at Wisconsin / Miami that just ended. Who will have a better offseason? Guessing Wisconsin 

also, I never have figured out why any team doesn’t show up ready to play a bowl game because it isn’t what they played the entire season for. Should have have a better season to get to a better bowl, or play for championships. Scoreboard is on, practice all year, and for many players they’ll never play again after the bowl game. WTF would you not give 100% for?

23 hours ago, Barnacle said:

PLEASE tell me where you got this. It gets funnier every time I read it!!  

Archived