New approach in bowl preparation

aubiefifty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

Agree. For example look at Wisconsin / Miami that just ended. Who will have a better offseason? Guessing Wisconsin 

also, I never have figured out why any team doesn’t show up ready to play a bowl game because it isn’t what they played the entire season for. Should have have a better season to get to a better bowl, or play for championships. Scoreboard is on, practice all year, and for many players they’ll never play again after the bowl game. WTF would you not give 100% for?

People use that excuse for the UCF loss. AU lost to a team mostly made up of 1 and 2 star recruits and a part time coaching staff that was already working for another school. So people needed an excuse. But in reality AU came out with a poor game plan that limited the chance for success. Calling slow developing run plays against a small team that used speed to get penetration and beat AU to the point of attack.  The problem was not execution or desire, it was coaching and a lack of adjustments.

Man, it's easy for our opponents to sniff out our tells over a 6 day pre-week so when you give a team a month to prepare it doesn't put me in the most optimistic of places

18 hours ago, wde1968 said:

This would be a chance to see what Willis can do. All these practices at the number 1 and turn him lose. Ledges ass I'm tired of everyone being so tolerant of mediocrity. Tell Gus after Iron Bowl Willis will start the bowl game practice accordingly. If he didn't like it he could quit no buyout win-win.

I too am tired of people being tolerant of mediocrity. But benching Stidham for Willis isn't the way to show that. One game will not make or break anything for next season. It just won't. And as far as Willis goes, it's pretty telling about his ability when Gus signs someone who had been out of the game for 5+ years and is as old as our new OC, as well as the fact that so many expect a true freshman to waltz in and win the starting job. This doesn't even count the outright desperation of Gus trying to get Kelly Bryant. Willis has had multiple seasons as the #2 guy and it simply seems the coaching staff has little to no confidence in his ability. So why someone would want to force him playing and sitting the better QB mystifies me. If Purdue actually shows up, we will have to score a LOT to beat them. I'm just not sure Stidham can do that, muchless Willis. I have 0 confidence he can... And it seems the coaching staff...er...Gus...also feel the same way.

Also "telling" Gus who his personnel will be is the very meddling that people complain so much that happens to Gus. As much as I don't like Gus as our coach, that's horse crap. That's not something that is done. For someone who is "tired of everyone being so tolerant of mediocrity" You just gave the recipe for just that.

17 hours ago, AUBourne said:

If we cant win this game without Stidham then next year is a disaster waiting to happen. Smart move is to play Willis and verify he is not the next Jeremy Johnson and hope he has the game day "it factor". And anyone that thinks a full game of experience is not important must not have been watching the early season games under Gus.  Or football in general. Maybe Gus can even figure out what Willis does well before the 3rd game next year. If he performs like Kiehl Frazier or JJ in the bowl then the reps in spring probably look much different. Stidham made a business decision to do what is right for him. The head coach of Auburn needs to do the same. Who to play is not about being nice. It's about winning and winning big next year. Maybe Gus' coach speak about his confidence in next years QB situation was just garbage though and no QB other than Stidham has been prepared to lead. In fact based on past results I'm going to believe that until proven otherwise.

First off Stidham or not, if Purdue actually shows up, we will have a hell of a time even keeping up with them, MUCH LESS beating them. This Purdue team you so half heartily dismissed, beat Ohio State by 30. Let that sink in before you think we just wipe the floor with these guys. 

And no, the smart play is NOT to hand the offense to a QB the coaching staff clearly doesn't trust. As I said above, Willis has been #2 for multiple seasons. Gus did everything in his power to get Kelly Bryant...even going as far as a desperation visit on the day Bryant committed to Missouri. Also if they had any confidence in Willis, the staff wouldn't be expecting a true freshman to waltz in and start. Think about that. A kid who played high school football this year has more of a chance starting next season than the guy who has been #2 for two seasons... That isn't the smart play...AT ALL...

Also, ONE GAME will not help a hill of beans for next year. Its astounding someone can think that. The business decision has been made. Its about winning. And we don't beat Purdue with Willis. Like it or not, Stidham is out best QB, and its not even close. The business decision by the coach HAS been made. Gus is going to try and win. That doesn't happen by sitting your QB1. AND it still boils down to the fact that one game will not make or break next year. Not in the slightest.

And you ended your comment basically agreeing with me. This is a complete 180° from the start of your comment. At least keep your stance the same in the same comment. Jeez.

14 hours ago, AUBourne said:

People use that excuse for the UCF loss. AU lost to a team mostly made up of 1 and 2 star recruits and a part time coaching staff that was already working for another school. So people needed an excuse. But in reality AU came out with a poor game plan that limited the chance for success. Calling slow developing run plays against a small team that used speed to get penetration and beat AU to the point of attack.  The problem was not execution or desire, it was coaching and a lack of adjustments.

Waaaaay to much truth here for some of this crowd. Be careful or you will be labeled as negative.

21 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

First off Stidham or not, if Purdue actually shows up, we will have a hell of a time even keeping up with them, MUCH LESS beating them. This Purdue team you so half heartily dismissed, beat Ohio State by 30. Let that sink in before you think we just wipe the floor with these guys. 

And no, the smart play is NOT to hand the offense to a QB the coaching staff clearly doesn't trust. As I said above, Willis has been #2 for multiple seasons. Gus did everything in his power to get Kelly Bryant...even going as far as a desperation visit on the day Bryant committed to Missouri. Also if they had any confidence in Willis, the staff wouldn't be expecting a true freshman to waltz in and start. Think about that. A kid who played high school football this year has more of a chance starting next season than the guy who has been #2 for two seasons... That isn't the smart play...AT ALL...

Also, ONE GAME will not help a hill of beans for next year. Its astounding someone can think that. The business decision has been made. Its about winning. And we don't beat Purdue with Willis. Like it or not, Stidham is out best QB, and its not even close. The business decision by the coach HAS been made. Gus is going to try and win. That doesn't happen by sitting your QB1. AND it still boils down to the fact that one game will not make or break next year. Not in the slightest.

And you ended your comment basically agreeing with me. This is a complete 180° from the start of your comment. At least keep your stance the same in the same comment. Jeez.

I am amazed out how much you got wrong there.  I never claimed Purdue was not capable of beating AU. Not sure if you just misread what I wrote or just decided to make stuff up. Not once did I criticize Purdue but your entire first paragraph is a based on this false premise. It was hard to keep reading after that but I soldiered on.   The reason why we agreed at the end is because we both agree that Gus has (probably) failed to develop another QB yet again.  That was pretty much the summary of my whole post. The fact that next season, the most important thing that Gus faces (not this bowl game) Auburn will be playing an untested QB with no experience for the coaching staff to base any decisions on.  Sounds to me that  Gus decided short term success is more important than next season because he has not been capable of recruiting and preparing a HS QB. And next season is going to be a disaster and he knows it.

It is obvious that how AU practices does not allow for a true evaluation of QB play (see Jeremy Johnson, injured Sean White, Kiehl
Frazier, etc). If Willis plays and looks horrible then I think that would and should effect reps in spring practice which in turn impacts next season.  That's pretty simple.  Practice and experience impacts play and coaching decision. . If 3 or 4 guys are sharing reps then nobody is getting the amount of practice time (especially the true freshman) to develop.

Who told you the coaching staff expects a true freshman to win the starting job next year?  Please provide a link to a coach saying this.  Because I think you are making stuff up. 

If the rest of the QBs on our roster including Willis are not capable of leading this team to a win against Purdue how are we going to beat Oregon, LSU, UGA, Alabama, MSU, UT, etc?  I am saying that after 6 years of recruiting, coaching and preparing Gus should have a QB on roster that he recruited out of HS that can successfully lead the offense. And playing that QB is more beneficial for next season than letting them rot on the bench.

40 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Waaaaay to much truth here for some of this crowd. Be careful or you will be labeled as negative.

Well I am definitely negative in my thoughts on the future under Gus as head coach  I really thought we had a gem in him that would dominate offensively. I thought we would have a dynamic offense that recruits flocked to. But his failure to evolve, develop QBs, develop a passing game, poor decisions on assist hires has taken away any confidence I had in him.  But I also don't post or come here enough to care what people think of me. 

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I too am tired of people being tolerant of mediocrity. But benching Stidham for Willis isn't the way to show that. One game will not make or break anything for next season. It just won't. And as far as Willis goes, it's pretty telling about his ability when Gus signs someone who had been out of the game for 5+ years and is as old as our new OC, as well as the fact that so many expect a true freshman to waltz in and win the starting job. This doesn't even count the outright desperation of Gus trying to get Kelly Bryant. Willis has had multiple seasons as the #2 guy and it simply seems the coaching staff has little to no confidence in his ability. So why someone would want to force him playing and sitting the better QB mystifies me. If Purdue actually shows up, we will have to score a LOT to beat them. I'm just not sure Stidham can do that, muchless Willis. I have 0 confidence he can... And it seems the coaching staff...er...Gus...also feel the same way.

Also "telling" Gus who his personnel will be is the very meddling that people complain so much that happens to Gus. As much as I don't like Gus as our coach, that's horse crap. That's not something that is done. For someone who is "tired of everyone being so tolerant of mediocrity" You just gave the recipe for just that.

i love your statement    " First off Stidham or not, if Purdue actually shows up, we will have a hell of a time even keeping up with them, MUCH LESS beating them. This Purdue team you so half heartily dismissed, beat Ohio State by 30. Let that sink in before you think we just wipe the floor with these guys."         lol  um i believe auburn DID wipe the floor  with purdue. as for disliking those who accept mediocrity i get tired of you negative nancy's that post the same ol same ol over and over to the point where i think it hurt us in recruiting with a couple of players.

Archived