Next Years O-Line

AuburnNTexas

As has been talked about all year O-line was our weak link even though last few games it improved still not great but better. What do we have to look for next year.

Center 

Kim seemed to know offense better that Brahms and we were better when he played center but he was not strong enough he has been in system long enough that I can't see him becoming stronger and more physical

Brahms has been hurt so much that he was not ready this year he will have a chance to get stronger and learn the O more so could be a decent center

Irving a Redshirt Freshman was a road Grader in HS has had a year to get stronger and learn the position so a possibility at Center

Guard - I believe we have some depth here but need 3 of these guys to step up as always need a backup ready to go.

Horton - experienced player had a bad year but I expect him to bounce back 

Harrell -  experienced player had a bad year but I expect him to bounce back

Hamm - Big kid who has overcome adversity Redshirt Freshman

Manning - Big Kid rated well out of HS has potential to help Redshirt Freshman

Stutts -  Big Kid rated well out of HS has potential to help Redshirt Freshman

Tackle - Our Achilles heal

Driscoll - GT in second year graded out well

Prince Tega - Would give us a great LT but everybody thinks he is gone to NFL 

Troxell - Showed some promise and might have to play LT - Will need to improve a good bit

Ashley - All world potential - Has not lived up to his tools some say he is soft and might not be here next year

Prince Sammons - Has the Physical Tools 6'7" 300 pounds strong and some speed - New to football has not really picked up the game - will be a Junior - we need the light to come on to go with the tools

Sharp - Will be a Senior was a Project tackle might end up playing him if we have any injuries

There are some other O-Linemen on the Roster but I don't know much about them so I left off the list.  I don't expect any incoming Freshman to be SEC ready so thay are not in this analyzes either. Of the 5 Tackles 1-2 may not be hear next year, One is learning the Game and one is a senior who has not been able to break into lineup even as bad as we were this year. 

With the Options and added experience I expect better play in the Interior at tackle we need to pray that Tega changes his mind and decides to stay or we are in a world of hurt. It wouldn't hurt for Ashley to stay and prove people wrong that he is soft.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

Why is Ashley away and not back til January? Curious to know what's going on with him.

Maybe something about a baby being born or on the way. Just what I heard no sure info 

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Maybe something about a baby being born or on the way. Just what I heard no sure info 

I did hear that regarding Brown but I did not know Ashley was expecting. Just wondering what the ordeal is with him. Was a USA Today 1st Team All-American in high school. Big time recruit that we had committed for years before he signed with us. I've read where some say he's soft and some say he has "medical issues". Really would like to see this guy compete and be the player we thought he would be for us on an offensive line that's desperate for some much needed help.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

I did hear that regarding Brown but I did not know Ashley was expecting. Just wondering what the ordeal is with him. Was a USA Today 1st Team All-American in high school. Big time recruit that we had committed for years before he signed with us. I've read where some say he's soft and some say he has "medical issues". Really would like to see this guy compete and be the player we thought he would be for us on an offensive line that's desperate for some much needed help.

Think its a little of both hopefully the light will come on

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As has been talked about all year O-line was our weak link even though last few games it improved still not great but better. What do we have to look for next year.

Center 

Kim seemed to know offense better that Brahms and we were better when he played center but he was not strong enough he has been in system long enough that I can't see him becoming stronger and more physical

Brahms has been hurt so much that he was not ready this year he will have a chance to get stronger and learn the O more so could be a decent center

Irving a Redshirt Freshman was a road Grader in HS has had a year to get stronger and learn the position so a possibility at Center

Guard - I believe we have some depth here but need 3 of these guys to step up as always need a backup ready to go.

Horton - experienced player had a bad year but I expect him to bounce back 

Harrell -  experienced player had a bad year but I expect him to bounce back

Hamm - Big kid who has overcome adversity Redshirt Freshman

Manning - Big Kid rated well out of HS has potential to help Redshirt Freshman

Stutts -  Big Kid rated well out of HS has potential to help Redshirt Freshman

Tackle - Our Achilles heal

Driscoll - GT in second year graded out well

Prince Tega - Would give us a great LT but everybody thinks he is gone to NFL 

Troxell - Showed some promise and might have to play LT - Will need to improve a good bit

Ashley - All world potential - Has not lived up to his tools some say he is soft and might not be here next year

Prince Sammons - Has the Physical Tools 6'7" 300 pounds strong and some speed - New to football has not really picked up the game - will be a Junior - we need the light to come on to go with the tools

Sharp - Will be a Senior was a Project tackle might end up playing him if we have any injuries

There are some other O-Linemen on the Roster but I don't know much about them so I left off the list.  I don't expect any incoming Freshman to be SEC ready so thay are not in this analyzes either. Of the 5 Tackles 1-2 may not be hear next year, One is learning the Game and one is a senior who has not been able to break into lineup even as bad as we were this year. 

With the Options and added experience I expect better play in the Interior at tackle we need to pray that Tega changes his mind and decides to stay or we are in a world of hurt. It wouldn't hurt for Ashley to stay and prove people wrong that he is soft.

Don't mean the laugh emoticon as a negative about your post.  I appreciate your positive outlook.  But, if you're not in Public Relations, you either missed your calling, or you are great at something else.:D

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Don't mean the laugh emoticon as a negative about your post.  I appreciate your positive outlook.  But, if you're not in Public Relations, you either missed your calling, or you are great at something else.:D

I sure don't mind the laugh but as for being Positive  I don't think I was when talking about tackles  I said "Of the 5 Tackles 1-2 may not be here next year, One is learning the Game and one is a senior who has not been able to break into lineup even as bad as we were this year" That is basically saying we are going into next year with Driscoll and Troxell with Baily Sharp as the backup. I should have said 6 tackles not 5 but my point is unless Tega returns and it doesn't look like he will we are hurting big time at tackle.

I really think the Interior play will be better than this past year partly because it was so poor this year and partly because Horton and Harrell are both better than they played this year. I think the Center Position hurt Horton and Harrell.  Center should be better because of more experience and if Brahm or Kim don't improve enough to take the position I think Irving has the tools to be an SEC center now that he has worked out for a year.

On Troxell I said he will need to improve a good bit. Sammons needs the light to come on, Tega probably won't be here, Ashley may not be here and i he is has to prove he is not soft, and Sharp couldn't even break into lineup on this years weak O-line.  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Well, he's obviously not soft all the time...

Where do NFL scouts project Tega?  I feel like he could be talked into coming back.  Also wouldn’t hurt recruiting next year if we could show another NFL caliber lineman.  Braden, Coleman, Robinson are good examples to show recruits.  I’m sure I’m missing someone.

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I really think the Interior play will be better than this past year partly because it was so poor this year and partly because Horton and Harrell are both better than they played this year. I think the Center Position hurt Horton and Harrell.  Center should be better because of more experience and if Brahm or Kim don't improve enough to take the position I think Irving has the tools to be an SEC center now that he has worked out for a year.

That makes some sense, and I hope you are correct.  That would remedy a lot of the problems in the run game at least.(which would then help somewhat in the play action passing game)

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Where do NFL scouts project Tega?  I feel like he could be talked into coming back.  Also wouldn’t hurt recruiting next year if we could show another NFL caliber lineman.  Braden, Coleman, Robinson are good examples to show recruits.  I’m sure I’m missing someone.

Totally not being rude. Tega is nowhere on the radar . He is so far away it’s not even funny . After this season I don’t see any nfl caliber guys from the oline. Not yet anyways 

17 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Totally not being rude. Tega is nowhere on the radar . He is so far away it’s not even funny . After this season I don’t see any nfl caliber guys from the oline. Not yet anyways 

I agree.  I was asking in reference to the NFL statement in the original post.  I was wondering if I had missed something.  

If Tega leaves, I'll understand.  It's the wrong decision if heads to the draft though.  I'm hoping he can find a lower division school with a real OL coach who can develop his raw talent.  I have nothing but good wishes for the young man.

From what others have said Tega may leave and try for NFL to help his family.  Hopefully they can convince him one more year to hone his skills and he might really get drafted.

This is where the NCAA should change a little. Let a player test the draft waters and as long as the player has stayed in school and not signed with an agent let him stay in school if draft does not go well. It won't hurt the school as worse case they lose a player that they would lose anyway and best case they get a key player back.  For the player if they don't get drafted or drafted to low they get one more year to work on their degree.

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

If Tega leaves, I'll understand.  It's the wrong decision if heads to the draft though.  I'm hoping he can find a lower division school with a real OL coach who can develop his raw talent.  I have nothing but good wishes for the young man.

Grimes has a pretty good history at Auburn of developing great left tackles.  I’m not sure why you don’t consider him a real Oline coach?  

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Freshman orientation needs a class on "These are condoms. You can call them rubbers or you can call them raincoats or you can call them 'I ain't payin' no damn child support without a job', but whatever you call them, don't dip your wick in the well without one."

59 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Freshman orientation needs a class on "These are condoms. You can call them rubbers or you can call them raincoats or you can call them 'I ain't payin' no damn child support without a job', but whatever you call them, don't dip your wick in the well without one."

Yes. That always works.👌

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

From what others have said Tega may leave and try for NFL to help his family.  Hopefully they can convince him one more year to hone his skills and he might really get drafted.

This is where the NCAA should change a little. Let a player test the draft waters and as long as the player has stayed in school and not signed with an agent let him stay in school if draft does not go well. It won't hurt the school as worse case they lose a player that they would lose anyway and best case they get a key player back.  For the player if they don't get drafted or drafted to low they get one more year to work on their degree.

What would Alabama do about someone's family needing help? I suggest doing that

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Someone apparently needs to be educated on trap babies.

In regards to center I agree that Kim is just not strong enough. I really think NB can be the man, he’s been injured a good amount. A healthy offseason with the strength staff and JB could do wonders for him. I also remember speculation that Horton could play center so maybe that could be explored in the offseason?

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

The speculation that Tega might leave is not based on AU Family posters. It is based on the fact that several NFL draft sites have him listed as potential high (2d -3d round in some scenarios) round draft pick. The NFL is all about measurables and athleticism and he is loaded with both. 

11 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Pretty sure all players who leave early have the option to come back and finish their degree for free. Maybe that's just something I read somewhere and has no bearing on the truth, but it would make sense considering schools get graded based upon player graduation rates.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure all players who leave early have the option to come back and finish their degree for free. Maybe that's just something I read somewhere and has no bearing on the truth, but it would make sense considering schools get graded based upon player graduation rates.

You could be correct but if you are playing you will be at school where others may just drop.  Having a chance to continue to play would probably keep more in school.

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You could be correct but if you are playing you will be at school where others may just drop.  Having a chance to continue to play would probably keep more in school.

No question of that. I really hope Tega stays, because I think the offensive line could be pretty good next year if he does.

4 hours ago, au302 said:

In regards to center I agree that Kim is just not strong enough. I really think NB can be the man, he’s been injured a good amount. A healthy offseason with the strength staff and JB could do wonders for him. I also remember speculation that Horton could play center so maybe that could be explored in the offseason?

Don't leave Irving Out as a Center or Guard he was a road Grader in HS and was a big strong kid by HS standards but most O-line need 1-2 years to get college strong replace baby fat with muscle. Irving has had the first year. He might be big enough to handle some of the BIG SEC NOSEGUARDS.

Archived