AuburnNTexas

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What would Alabama do about someone's family needing help? I suggest doing that

We tried that before, but one of the cuz's didn't keep it down home.:laugh:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure all players who leave early have the option to come back and finish their degree for free. Maybe that's just something I read somewhere and has no bearing on the truth, but it would make sense considering schools get graded based upon player graduation rates.

This is correct.  Cam Newton did it and so did Peyton Barber.

Call me crazy, but I was pleased with our OL play during the Georgia and Alabama games.  I think they started to finally get that light turned on.  I said this in another thread, but developing the OL takes time.  This is why most freshmen do not come in and start right away unless necessary.  I think Herb Hand did ZERO development, and just rode on the guys the Grimes had coached up before him.  And those guys graduated last year, which was when Hand conveniently left.  So Grimes inherited a bunch of guys with zero coaching, so he has had to start at ground zero.  I think this is a good reason why we started to finally see some improvement at the end of the season as that was enough time for Grime's teachings to take hold.  I am curious to see how the OL does in the bowl game to see if my reasoning is correct or not.

I do think we will get a much improved line next year with these guys having 1.5 years to learn from Grimes.  I hate to see Tega leave if that is the case though.  I thought he was really coming on strong this season and could be a draft pick in 2020 with another year.

31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Call me crazy, but I was pleased with our OL play during the Georgia and Alabama games.  I think they started to finally get that light turned on.  I said this in another thread, but developing the OL takes time.  This is why most freshmen do not come in and start right away unless necessary.  I think Herb Hand did ZERO development, and just rode on the guys the Grimes had coached up before him.  And those guys graduated last year, which was when Hand conveniently left.  So Grimes inherited a bunch of guys with zero coaching, so he has had to start at ground zero.  I think this is a good reason why we started to finally see some improvement at the end of the season as that was enough time for Grime's teachings to take hold.  I am curious to see how the OL does in the bowl game to see if my reasoning is correct or not.

I do think we will get a much improved line next year with these guys having 1.5 years to learn from Grimes.  I hate to see Tega leave if that is the case though.  I thought he was really coming on strong this season and could be a draft pick in 2020 with another year.

I agree with this...things started to come together a little better at the end of the year. And honestly, there were plenty of times the OL would have looked better had JS just stepped up into the pocket instead of bailing. 

Also, folks piling on Grimes seem to forget that it was his OL in '13 that allowed us to run all over people even though we could basically tell the opposing team what play we were about to run. The OL this year was a Herb Hand issue. Grimes is a solid OL coach.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What would Alabama do about someone's family needing help? I suggest doing that

Exactly!

They move whole families across country (& ocean FTM) and make sure they have homes & jobs.  All with the NCAA & SEC's blessing.  I'm sure Auburn can utilize that same program, right!?

1 hour ago, fortworthtiger said:

Also, folks piling on Grimes seem to forget that it was his OL in '13 that allowed us to run all over people even though we could basically tell the opposing team what play we were about to run. The OL this year was a Herb Hand issue. Grimes is a solid OL coach.

The problem there is that those weren't his guys, except maybe Kozan? Dismukes was a 3rd-year starter. So was Slade. Also, JB was only gone 2 years. 2018 and 2019 are his recruiting classes coming to fruition. 

Also, that's taking away a lot of credit from the "skill" players from 2013. I use scare quotes because Jay Prosch was basically an uber athletic guard. Possibly the most valuable college FB of the decade. And a TON of our yards were a direct result of tenacious blocking on the perimeter by our WRs combined with Corey Grant's speed and/or Nick Marshall's running skills combined with misdirection and tempo. Tre was a damned-near perfect college RB and Nick was a magician. Oh, and those OLs didn't have to pass block much. In addition to the aforementioned misdirection, and in addition to how many times he threw while rolling out or just avoiding pressure, Marshall was 10th in the league that season in pass attempts. There were 4 guys who had 100 more attempts than he did. 5 of the guys ahead of him played fewer games. GRob still hasn't learned how to pass block.

I just think there were a lot of variables that went into that offense's success, and that- despite our gaudy rushing totals- it wasn't a complete offensive line. 

And if you think I'm a JB basher, I'm not. I used to argue against all these things I just said. I was excited when we hired him back.

15 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

If Tega leaves, I'll understand.  It's the wrong decision if heads to the draft though.  I'm hoping he can find a lower division school with a real OL coach who can develop his raw talent.  I have nothing but good wishes for the young man.

So true.  He deserved so much better than the OL coach we gave him while he was here.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I use scare quotes because Jay Prosch was basically an uber athletic guard. Possibly the most valuable college FB of the decade.

That guy was so fun to watch block.  Defensive players prayed he didn't even look at them because that might have meant he was assigned to block them.  I remember the first day on campus he broke a lot of records in the weight room.  One of the best cases of granting immediate eligibility too.  If they didn't, his mother would have never gotten to see him play in person.  Just makes me smile typing that out.

Other defenders when Jay looked their way:  tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Other defenders when Jay looked their way:  tenor.gif

Yep, pretty much. I remember times when he didn't even touch a defender but still cleared a path for the runner. 

11 minutes ago

Here is a stat that is less than ideal: Auburn signed 13 offensive linemen out of high school between 2013-18. Only three of those players have started more than 10 games.

Braden Smith - 41

Mike Horton - 19

Marquel Harrell - 18

People have a lot of dementia when it comes to ole Grimy

20 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

11 minutes ago

Here is a stat that is less than ideal: Auburn signed 13 offensive linemen out of high school between 2013-18. Only three of those players have started more than 10 games.

Braden Smith - 41

Mike Horton - 19

Marquel Harrell - 18

Tega?  He's got to be above 10?  Nevermind...he was a defensive signee.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

11 minutes ago

Braden Smith - 41

Mike Horton - 19

Marquel Harrell - 18

But...but...

I just do not see Tega leaving early for the draft. Another strong year is needed for him. With a strong season for 2019, he could wind up a low 1st round pick. I am sure the coaches will set down with him and lay everything out for him. He is a talent no doubt, but still a bit raw imho to enter the NFL. I could be wrong and have no problem being wrong. I just hope he is given honest objective info so he can make the right choice.

As for Ashley, it seems that when he was on the field, he did a fairly decent job. We really need to get Prince Sammons on the field asap and let him learn the ropes in real game experience. He reminds me a bit of Gatewood in that there is a ton of untapped potential there.

Frankly, I did not pay attention this year how the offensive line was set up to block.  I am wondering if lindsey being a passing coach set up the line to be more pass blocking than run blocking.  I am interested in the bowl game to see how the line will be set up to block.

32 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Another?

I thought he had a decent year considering all things involved. A strong 2019 would give him a decent shot at being a low first round pick. A lot more money compared to a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

9 hours ago, L I G E R said:

So true.  He deserved so much better than the OL coach we gave him while he was here.

He has not left for anywhere. I am curious to see year 2 of JB and what improvements will be made. It very well could be that the OL needs another year of JB to see improvement. Year 2 should give us a clearer picture of JB one way or the other. JB has been in the business a long time and has a proven track record for the most. I know this season was the tale of the OL and I hope we will see improvement in 2019.

I hope we will see a touch of Dilly in the offense for the bowl game. We will either see the same old stuff we have seen all season or maybe the bowl game will be a turning point for the better. It is all on Gus and he will either make it or break it or be gone at the end of 2019. I hope we will see some of Gatewood in the bowl game.

I really think we have a diamond in the rough with Gatewood that will shine once given a chance to do so.  I hope we can get a nice lead and let the youngsters have a go at it. I think Gus finally understands that this is it for him if he fails to produce. Another 7-5 season will be the end of Gus. I have been just as upset and put off with Gus as any fan on this board. I just want us to win and do so more than 7-5, 8-4.  I can be ok with a 9-3 or 10-2 season as long as we beat some of our rivalries. I have hope (not a whole lot 15% maybe, but yes, I do have hope as should any Auburn fan on this board).

If Gus goes, bring in Mike Norvell. He is super young coach who could do well on a bigger stage than Memphis. Today has been a rough day in that a limb fell on our metal roof during a rainstorm that punctured a big hole in the roof that resulted in some serious water damage to the house. Things could be worse, but the Doc is not in any mood for a whole lot of foolishness tonight!

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

11 minutes ago

Braden Smith - 41

Mike Horton - 19

Marquel Harrell - 18

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Guilty. I changed my tune around midseason though. 

As much as player development is an issue, I honestly question how much the blocking scheme the O-line coaches are being forced to teach factors in on play execution.  I feel like we have not countered anything that Defensive coaches have figured out about our tendencies.

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

As much as player development is an issue, I honestly question how much the blocking scheme the O-line coaches are being forced to teach factors in on play execution.  I feel like we have not countered anything that Defensive coaches have figured out about our tendencies.

Totally agree that it's a group effort. 

Do Hand and Grimes run the same blocking scheme?  I’ve gotten hooked on Jay Tate’s podcast and they were talking about Stutts making an impression in practice.  With the lack of physicality this year and the poor play of the guards it wouldn’t completely surprise me to see some people moved around or shuffled.  Maybe move Horton/Harrell/Trox to the outside if Prince leaves.  Have Hamm, Stutts, Ashley play at the guards.  Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can tell me if I’m way off here?

Archived