Harold Joiner

au701948

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

So how the how in the hell did they talk him into moving from a 4 star running back to come play tight end for us and get maybe 6 passes for his career? I feel bad that we did him like that. 

Auburn got him because every other school gave up on him. They all stopped recruiting him. Gus told Joiner he'd use him like how he used Charles Clay at Tulsa. Clay got touches in plenty  different ways from catches to handoffs  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

He only had 3 carries with a 4.5 ypc avg. in 2018. No definitive conclusion can be drawn from that in my opinion. He is 6'3" but only 215 lbs. right now. Let's see what he can do with 20 more lbs. of muscle on that frame as a 6'3" 235 lb. running back.

I should have been more clear. Coming out of high school I didn’t see him as a power back . I think he could be a punisher if he gains the weight and the attitude 

6 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Auburn got him because every other school gave up on him. They all stopped recruiting him. Gus told Joiner he'd use him like how he used Charles Clay at Tulsa. Clay got touches in plenty  different ways from catches to handoffs  

Stopped recruiting him why?

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Not directed at you, @sizzle.

LOL at all of Gus' paper recruiting classes.  I guess they satisfy the ignorant in February but rarely result in much a few years later.

BUT CROOTIN POINTS!!!  LOL, don't be stupid.  Look at the trees and the forest.

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Stopped recruiting him why?

Because he's another broken before we get'em recruit.  See Kerryon Johnson for more details.  Will be useful (to Gus) by his 4th year on campus.

9 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

He only had 3 carries with a 4.5 ypc avg. in 2018. No definitive conclusion can be drawn from that in my opinion. He is 6'3" but only 215 lbs. right now. Let's see what he can do with 20 more lbs. of muscle on that frame as a 6'3" 235 lb. running back.

I agree and think about how Kam Pettway came on once given a chance. Also, how does Gus really know if he isn’t a Derrick Henry type back?

19 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

I agree and think about how Kam Pettway came on once given a chance. Also, how does Gus really know if he isn’t a Derrick Henry type back?

Because Henry was 100x better at running the ball in high school?

1 hour ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Not directed at you, @sizzle.

LOL at all of Gus' paper recruiting classes.  I guess they satisfy the ignorant in February but rarely result in much a few years later.

BUT CROOTIN POINTS!!!  LOL, don't be stupid.  Look at the trees and the forest.

Exactly what tubs did too. Highly ranked in February, then half couldn't qualify.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Exactly what tubs did too. Highly ranked in February, then half couldn't qualify.

Yeah, but he had more opportunity to take chances with the way scholarships were setup back then.

Tubs recruited well enough and if the GOBN wouldn't have shutdown and tucked their tails when Saban came along we'd have been better off than we are, imo.

Tubs had his blame in it as well, but it was just a stupid and avoidable situation.  He should've replace Knox/Nall years before the end and move to a more open offense to take advantage of all the athletes.  Our defense never would've sucked at least.

1 minute ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Yeah, but he had more opportunity to take chances with the way scholarships were setup back then.

Tubs recruited well enough and if the GOBN wouldn't have shutdown and tucked their tails when Saban came along we'd have been better off than we are, imo.

Tubs had his blame in it as well, but it was just a stupid and avoidable situation.  He should've replace Knox/Nall years before the end and move to a more open offense to take advantage of all the athletes.  Our defense never would've sucked at least.

Tubs gets such a bad rap for the failed Franklin experiment. He definitely fumbled the snap, but he had the right play called. Unlike some other coaches, he made adjustments. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tubs gets such a bad rap for the failed Franklin experiment. He definitely fumbled the snap, but he had the right play called. Unlike some other coaches, he made adjustments. 

I agree.  He's still my all time favorite AU coach.  His rep was sullied on purpose, and the GOBN had/has no idea how to deal with an Agent like Jimmy Sexton.

His experiment was just too little too late in the end.  He needed to make further staff moves to make it successful and his loyalty did him in.

He's an AUBURN MAN, imo.  I wish he'd come back and help fundraise.  Maybe under Greene it'd work out.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It was all in the execution and follow through that got Tubs.  He never got buy in from his staff.  I give him credit for the seeing the needed to adjust and in the correct direction.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

It was all in the execution and follow through that got Tubs.  He never got buy in from his staff.  I give him credit for the seeing he needed to adjust and in the correct direction.

Exactly. 

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, bigbird said:

Hopefully he make the transition to TE and is a nightmare match up...but, Gus

You had to go and ruin it...BUT GUS. Does that mean Gus is a but?

1 minute ago, 1913-14 said:

You had to go and ruin it...BUT GUS. Does that mean Gus is a but?

Open for interpretation. 😁

4 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Because he's another broken before we get'em recruit.  See Kerryon Johnson for more details.  Will be useful (to Gus) by his 4th year on campus.

Uh, Kerryon ran for 895 yards in his second year on campus and 1,391 in his third year on campus, then went pro. 2018 WOULD have been his 4th year on campus, and Gus wasn't able to use him at all. What's your point?

7 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I should have been more clear. Coming out of high school I didn’t see him as a power back . I think he could be a punisher if he gains the weight and the attitude 

Ahh gotcha, I agree.

4 hours ago, Hopsing said:

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Derrick Henry was 6'3" 240 lbs in high school and already a moose. Harold Joiner was 6'3" 205 dripping wet in high school, tall and lanky. Joiner is 215 now, had 3 games in '18 and will just be a RS Freshman in '19. Let's see what he can do at 235, he could be a late bloomer with that frame.    

47 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Derrick Henry was 6'3" 240 lbs in high school and already a moose. Harold Joiner was 6'3" 205 dripping wet in high school, tall and lanky. Joiner is 215 now, had 3 games in '18 and will just be a RS Freshman in '19. Let's see what he can do at 235, he could be a late bloomer with that frame.    

What about their speed, vision, balance, leg drive, lateral mobility, ball security, ability to follow a block, to make a cut, to get their pads low...

Not being smart. Entirely possible that Joiner is still growing into his frame- he was 5'10 his sophomore year of HS for all I know- and just wasn't comfortable physically as a HS JR/SR. But a TON of evaluation was done on that kid and nobody wanted him as a running back. It's probably not a matter of him just getting bigger. He's also going to have to learn how to be a running back. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

While I agree with Henry being better my point is does Gus really know what he has in HJ?

many have argued that sometimes no one is sure if Gus know what he has in many players because he pigeon holes them to a specific role.

Walks like a 🦆, talks like a 🦆, then it must be a 🍩 is what I think Gus does sometimes!

2 hours ago, Hopsing said:

While I agree with Henry being better my point is does Gus really know what he has in HJ?

many have argued that sometimes no one is sure if Gus know what he has in many players because he pigeon holes them to a specific role.

Walks like a 🦆, talks like a 🦆, then it must be a 🍩 is what I think Gus does sometimes!

Can you give a few past examples of your analysis of pigeon holing players. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What about their speed, vision, balance, leg drive, lateral mobility, ball security, ability to follow a block, to make a cut, to get their pads low...

Not being smart. Entirely possible that Joiner is still growing into his frame- he was 5'10 his sophomore year of HS for all I know- and just wasn't comfortable physically as a HS JR/SR. But a TON of evaluation was done on that kid and nobody wanted him as a running back. It's probably not a matter of him just getting bigger. He's also going to have to learn how to be a running back. 

I guess the answer would be it's yet to be determined. You won't get an argument from me that Joiner is a work in progress. We'll see how this turns out but there is a lot to work with in his case.

To be fair, he was all over the place in his recruitment if i remember correctly...but he could still be a weapon w the guys around him. He fits RB/HB/TE/Slot...HUNH 👍

6 hours ago, creed said:

Can you give a few past examples of your analysis of pigeon holing players. 

Our receivers don't run every route.

Devon Barrett(when he was a freshman): swing pass back

R Davis: screens and crosses

Slayton: deep routes 

Shed, Sal, NCM: big slot blockers

Hastings: Option/skip route

Sammie Coates: deep fly

Stove: reverse or jet

Ricardo Louis: reverse or deep pass

Archived