Harold Joiner

au701948

5 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Malzahn needs to play Harold a lot more. Harold is a big back and that's what need more of. Big RB's who can run right through you.

Just because he's big doesn't mean he'll run through you. He's a finesse runner. He plays like a scat back. Maybe he changed it up for the future?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can he take it to the house at any given time? If yes, put him in and let’s find out!

He ran pretty hard in the carries he got last season in the wildcat!

On 12/24/2018 at 4:18 AM, thrustmaxwell said:

Sounds like cognitive dissonance, or setting yourself up for failure.  Not sure which.

Or maybe simple optimism, something you quite obviously eschew in the search for ways to put down the team for which you profess to be a fan.

45 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Or maybe simple optimism, something you quite obviously eschew in the search for ways to put down the team of which you profess to be a fan.

Cognitive dissonance you mean?  It's unhealthy and leads to worse mental illness.

If real is rainbows and unicorns I'll point it out, if it's not I will call it whatever it is.

11 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Cognitive dissonance you mean?  It's unhealthy and leads to worse mental illness.

If real is rainbows and unicorns I'll point it out, if it's not I will call it whatever it is.

No, I mean optimism. The future is not set, and thus you don't know it any better than I do. I simply choose to look at the future in a positive way, while you choose the opposite.

Of course, from what I've gathered about you, it doesn't matter if reality is "rainbows and unicorns", as you put it. All that matters is how negatively you can spin it. Which makes you no better than me, no matter how much you want to place yourself on a shelf. And that's okay, too. You're hardly the first person to disagree with my optimism. I just think it's funny that you think your spin is in some way holier than mine.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:01 AM, McLoofus said:

Tubs gets such a bad rap for the failed Franklin experiment. He definitely fumbled the snap, but he had the right play called. Unlike some other coaches, he made adjustments. 

He did have the right call. His mistake was not going all in on it and letting “ his boys” talk him out of it.

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

No, I mean optimism. The future is not set, and thus you don't know it any better than I do. I simply choose to look at the future in a positive way, while you choose the opposite.

Of course, from what I've gathered about you, it doesn't matter if reality is "rainbows and unicorns", as you put it. All that matters is how negatively you can spin it. Which makes you no better than me, no matter how much you want to place yourself on a shelf. And that's okay, too. You're hardly the first person to disagree with my optimism. I just think it's funny that you think your spin is in some way holier than mine.

Not holier just more realistic. If I send you to the store and you wreck every time then it’s being realistic to expect that it will happen again. If nobody has seen Elvis since he died then it’s unrealistic to assume he is still here. It’s called giving an honest opinion as opposed to blowing smoke up someone’s rear.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Not holier just more realistic. If I send you to the store and you wreck every time then it’s being realistic to expect that it will happen again. If nobody has seen Elvis since he died then it’s unrealistic to assume he is still here. It’s called giving an honest opinion as opposed to blowing smoke up someone’s rear.

On an unrelated note, where does that smoke come out?

1 minute ago, Hopsing said:

On an unrelated note, where does that smoke come out?

You would have to ask the one that’s blowing it , I’m always busy just trying to get out of the way of these smoke blowers. 😁

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

You would have to ask the one that’s blowing it , I’m always busy just trying to get out of the way of these smoke blowers. 😁

I cracked myself up, and your response just added to it! Good stuff in a world that sometimes needs to loosen up!

On 12/27/2018 at 7:48 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It's not unrealistic to think that the coach who won the West just one year ago could do so again two seasons later. It's not unrealistic to name the players who disprove thrustmaxwell's little spiel about how Malzahn can't recruit QBs or RBs. It's not unrealistic to think a team that has won a national championship and played for another in the last decade due to the guy in charge might get back there when he takes over play calling again and has an experienced offensive line again (the latter of which is the common denominator in the 2010, 2013, and 2017 seasons).

It IS unrealistic to call a coach with two SEC titles under his belt a "one trick pony" as if the SEC can be won with only one trick in the bag. You can be negative about Gus all you want to, as you are entitled to your own opinion, but don't get so upset when someone else points out the brighter side of things in their response.

BTW, the offensive line looked pretty danged good on Friday, lending credibility to Malzahn's claim that they're on the verge of something special and my claim that we might just have a great season next year. If being "realistic" is a requisite of being a fan (read: fanatic), then I don't want to be a fan. I'd rather see my team with rose colored glasses and believe in them than to beat down hope at every turn just so I can be known as "realistic".

"Hope: it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of [our] greatest strength and [our] greatest weakness."
--The Matrix

29 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

It's not unrealistic to think that the coach who won the West just one year ago could do so again two seasons later. It's not unrealistic to name the players who disprove thrustmaxwell's little spiel about how Malzahn can't recruit QBs or RBs. It's not unrealistic to think a team that has won a national championship and played for another in the last decade due to the guy in charge might get back there when he takes over play calling again and has an experienced offensive line again (the latter of which is the common denominator in the 2010, 2013, and 2017 seasons).

It IS unrealistic to call a coach with two SEC titles under his belt a "one trick pony" as if the SEC can be won with only one trick in the bag. You can be negative about Gus all you want to, as you are entitled to your own opinion, but don't get so upset when someone else points out the brighter side of things in their response.

BTW, the offensive line looked pretty danged good on Friday, lending credibility to Malzahn's claim that they're on the verge of something special and my claim that we might just have a great season next year. If being "realistic" is a requisite of being a fan (read: fanatic), then I don't want to be a fan. I'd rather see my team with rose colored glasses and believe in them than to beat down hope at every turn just so I can be known as "realistic".

"Hope: it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of [our] greatest strength and [our] greatest weakness."
--The Matrix

The 2018 O-line was by far the worst that Malzahn's had since he's been here. I expect improvement next year but in order for us to replicate championship caliber season's, the O-line is going to have to in the top 4 in the SEC in order for us to get there. I don't see our O-line being in the top 4. Maybe top 6 or 7 like in the top half of the SEC but I haven't seen anything that makes me think the O-line will be THAT much better to expect us to have a chance to win the West.

Our schedule is still going to be difficult. I'd argue our 2019 schedule might be more difficult than 2018. Yes we get Bama and UGA at home but we go to A&M, LSU, and Florida. We got Tennessee this year at home and lost. We trade Tennessee for an improving Florida team as our rotating East opponent. I don't see us going to the Swamp and pulling out a win. Mullen has turned Florida's program around. We haven't won in Baton Rogue in almost 20 years. Even our 2013 and 2017 teams lost in Baton Rogue. We broke the streak this year against A&M of the road team winning each game in the series. A&M dominated the game this year but Mond's late interception cost them. We ran a hurry up offense and Stidham's passing won us the game. We were fortunate to beat A&M this year. If we play them a similar type game next year where they lead by 10 in the 4th quarter, I doubt we'll come from behind a 2nd time, this time it's on the road...... I'm not even going to speculate on UGA and Bama.

If our team if capable of throttling a mediocre opponent like Purdue then why didn't we show that earlier this season? We lost to a 5-7 Tennessee team at home. The bowl game we had 3-4 weeks to rest up and prepare and gameplan to throw the kitchen sink at them. We won't have that luxury during the season when you have only a week to gameplan for the likes of UGA and Bama and you don't get 3-4 week to rest up for those games either.

3 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The 2018 O-line was by far the worst that Malzahn's had since he's been here. I expect improvement next year but in order for us to replicate championship caliber season's, the O-line is going to have to in the top 4 in the SEC in order for us to get there. I don't see our O-line being in the top 4. Maybe top 6 or 7 like in the top half of the SEC but I haven't seen anything that makes me think the O-line will be THAT much better to expect us to have a chance to win the West.

Our schedule is still going to be difficult. I'd argue our 2019 schedule might be more difficult than 2018. Yes we get Bama and UGA at home but we go to A&M, LSU, and Florida. We got Tennessee this year at home and lost. We trade Tennessee for an improving Florida team as our rotating East opponent. I don't see us going to the Swamp and pulling out a win. Mullen has turned Florida's program around. We haven't won in Baton Rogue in almost 20 years. Even our 2013 and 2017 teams lost in Baton Rogue. We broke the streak this year against A&M of the road team winning each game in the series. A&M dominated the game this year but Mond's late interception cost them. We ran a hurry up offense and Stidham's passing won us the game. We were fortunate to beat A&M this year. If we play them a similar type game next year where they lead by 10 in the 4th quarter, I doubt we'll come from behind a 2nd time, this time it's on the road...... I'm not even going to speculate on UGA and Bama.

If our team if capable of throttling a mediocre opponent like Purdue then why didn't we show that earlier this season? We lost to a 5-7 Tennessee team at home. The bowl game we had 3-4 weeks to rest up and prepare and gameplan to throw the kitchen sink at them. We won't have that luxury during the season when you have only a week to gameplan for the likes of UGA and Bama and you don't get 3-4 week to rest up for those games either.

Purdue had the same 3-4 weeks to prepare, and they still got the crap beaten out of them. Part of the problem through the regular season might have been a rift between Malzahn and Lindsey (though I'm not claiming to know anything more about the atmosphere surrounding the team than most fans do). And the offensive line did get better as the season progressed, it was just hard to see against UGA and UAT because of the strength of their defensive fronts. We won't know exactly how much the O-line has improved until next season, but I do think it got better, and will continue to get better. JB Grimes is a good coach, if not a good recruiter.

The schedule is undoubtedly difficult. It always is for us, especially when we play OOC foes like the Oregon team we'll be up against in the season opener. But I think this season was tainted by the LSU loss (a game we should have won), and the let down from that penetrated the team's morale. That's what led to the UT loss, at least as I see it...though that may be a stretch on my part. I just think there are enough good things lining up that we could have a great year next year, and I prefer to remain optimistic about it rather than preaching doom and gloom (not referring to you). We'll all eagerly await August 2019 in anticipation, and see what fruit is born when it comes. War Damn!

Archived