Recruiting rankings / numbers questions for the gurus

AUTiger03

So I ordered by "Average" (stars) and compared this to actual team recruiting rankings, and there are some striking differences:

image.png

I noticed that PSU and AU are in the top 4 in terms of "average recruited talent level" (if that's fair to call it) but because the number of total commits is lower than say Georgia's, their overall points score is lower. This actually seems true most years. AU takes less kids than bama for example pretty much every year but the star power is there for the kids we do get.

So my question is this: Is there a reason why Alabama signs so many every time compared to AU? Is it because they're processing more players out? And is this why it's considered "better" to recruit that many? You have more to choose from before the processing is complete? Or are we low on numbers as a result of low recruiting and normal processing/attrition?

And why is AU lagging behind in this way? Are we just unwilling to process players at a higher rate, or are we just unable to acquire more talent - we miss on the guys we want that we saved spots for? I don't follow recruiting as much as some on here so I'm hoping there are simple answers to this because I've been curious for years.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance!

Edit To Add: I went back and looked, it seems like most years Auburn adds to its numbers after NSD so I was not correct that AU tends to finish with lower numbers substantially than other schools but still the questions as it pertains to NSD in general are still valid I guess. Thanks

Not a guru but I will add this.  Most of the top teams will have 2 to 3 very highly rated players as fall back plans.  Gus has done a really good job under the circumstances this year but he puts too many eggs in one basket.  Not all of the time but more often than not when a kid goes elsewhere Gus fills the spot with a much lower rated player or has to go the Grad Transfer route.  The grad transfer route is not something you can build your team on and should be used when you have a glaring hole that must be filled.  In year 6 we should not be relying on Grad Transfers every year.  We all hate our rivals but I admire the way they replace a 4 or 5 star kid that goes elsewhere with another 4 or 5 star kid.

If we can ever get to the point where we are consistent as a program our recruiting pitch can change for the better.  We can tell kids that they are our #1 priority but the slot goes to the first to commit.  Right now we are hoping and praying for a kid like WP to choose us over Clemson and FSU at the last minute.  If we miss on him there is no back up plan that is anywhere near the caliber of that player.  Clemson signed 26 kids yesterday.  Bama signed 23 kids yesterday.  UGA signed  17 along with 4 kids who are in school already.
Those schools are basically done and can try to cherry pick what is left to fill a couple spots.  Auburn has holes to fill at OL, RB, and LB.  For the most part our rivals have the kids they wanted and are done.

One last thing that I thought was interesting.  Clemson signed 14-3 star kids.  That staff does an amazing job of finding kids that fit what they want to do regardless of what others think.

Another interesting note.  Out of the top 30 classes we signed less kids yesterday than all but 5 schools.

Those are numbers for committed players and we're in the midst of an early signing period.  By the time National Signing Day gets here in February, our number of signed recruits is likely to be similar to bama and all the other top schools.  It's been that way every year since the NCAA quit allowing you to oversign and place your academic rejects in JUCO.  We may leave a spot or two open for grad transfers, which would really be the difference between us signing 25, or 24, or 23.  There are other factors as well...you can count spots forwards and backwards as well...I just don't think "processing" has as much to do with it.  We tend to sign close to our fully allowed 25 spots every calendar year.

9 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Another ? how does bammer sign 26 I thought 25 was the max?

If a team only signed 24 last year, then they can sign 26 this year  but the extra guy has to be an early enrolee. I think the limit on this is three per year.

Just now, Mikey said:

If a team only signed 24 last year, then they can sign 26 this year  but the extra guy has to be an early enrolee. I think the limit on this is three per year.

Does the extra guy early enrollee count back to last years class?

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Does the extra guy early enrollee count back to last years class?

Yes. That's why it has to be an EE guy.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Those are numbers for committed players and we're in the midst of an early signing period.  By the time National Signing Day gets here in February, our number of signed recruits is likely to be similar to bama and all the other top schools.  It's been that way every year since the NCAA quit allowing you to oversign and place your academic rejects in JUCO.  We may leave a spot or two open for grad transfers, which would really be the difference between us signing 25, or 24, or 23.  There are other factors as well...you can count spots forwards and backwards as well...I just don't think "processing" has as much to do with it.  We tend to sign close to our fully allowed 25 spots every calendar year.

Yeah this is what I noticed going back and looking. I have noticed that on NSD (or now the early version) we tend to be lower than the other big schools we recruit against but by the time it's done we have near the 25 number. I assume this is because we miss out on some big name guys we were hoping for and fill them in later with some lesser recruited guys, grad transfers, etc.

Someone commented about Clemson, I'm a little surprised that Gus doesn't find a few more special gems in the 3-star group. For his offense I could see a lot of guys that don't rate a highly as others in their position might have something special he could use. 

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

I think that's a list of commits, not signees.  We didn't have 17 signees yesterday.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

I think that's a list of commits, not signees.  We didn't have 17 signees yesterday.

We have a total of 16 signees/ or early enrolled players.  Out of the top 30 schools in the rankings we were like 27th in the amount of kids we got yesterday.  we have to change this.  If we still have 8-10 slots to fill after the early signing period then we are behind the ball.  Our rivals have 2-3 slots to fill after the early signing period.

10 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

We have a total of 16 signees/ or early enrolled players.  Out of the top 30 schools in the rankings we were like 27th in the amount of kids we got yesterday.  we have to change this.  If we still have 8-10 slots to fill after the early signing period then we are behind the ball.  Our rivals have 2-3 slots to fill after the early signing period.

To extend on your comment about AU being behind the ball.

Get this $#!t..........uat had 4 guys that signed yesterday, they were immediately on campus and on the practice field with the team yesterday......another 14 (FOURTEEN) of their early signees will be on campus in January for a total of 18 (EIGHTEEN) early enrollees/signees on campus, getting acclimated, in the weight room, watching film on their own, participating in practices with the rest of the team and learning the "Process".

Talk about being behind the ball - my God! 😲

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

To extend on your comment about AU being behind the ball.

Get this..........uat had 4 guys that signed yesterday, they were immediately on campus and on the practice field with the team yesterday......another 14 (FOURTEEN) of their early signees will be on campus in January for a total of 18 (EIGHTEEN) early enrollees/signees on campus, getting acclimated, in the weight room, watching film on their own, participating in practices with the rest of the team and learning the "Process".

Talk about being behind the ball - my God!

Yep.  Our rivals are Coke and Pepsi while we are Laura Lynn cola.

They have more early enrollees than we have signees.  Think about that for a minute.

I think Dire Straits named their band after our OL situation.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

They have more early enrollees than we have signees.  Think about that for a minute.

Just further proof that the only reason they win is because they cheat and the only reason we lose is because they cheat. 

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

aTm will have 7 ~ uga 4/5 ~ lsu 4

It makes me too nauseous to think on it too hard.   

7 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Getting a 7-8 month jump on the competition by bringing in early signees/enrollees is invaluable, to already have 70% of your total signing class on campus/in weight training/on a nutrition plan, etc. before the standard NSD in February is effing SAVAGE. 

This is just another way NS takes a rule change (he didn't want an early signing period at all) and uses it to his advantage.  

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Getting a 7-8 month jump on the competition by bringing in early signees/enrollees is invaluable, to already have 70% of your total signing class on campus/in weight training/on a nutrition plan, etc. before the standard NSD in February is effing SAVAGE. 

This is just another way NS takes a rule change (he didn't want an early signing period at all) and uses it to his advantage.  

It really changes the definition of a true freshman. Way more opportunity to give a true freshman playing time under those circumstances.

11 minutes ago, CR said:

It really changes the definition of a true freshman. Way more opportunity to give a true freshman playing time under those circumstances.

No doubt, and it changes the old definition of football players are nothing but a bunch of big, muscular meat heads.  These kids took care of business in the classroom for a couple of years, they graduated HS early, put themselves in position to be able to get the ACT/GPA in order and enroll early.  

3 hours ago, keesler said:

We will have 9 early enrolees. So if your above numbers are correct we're well ahead of aTm, UGA and LSU. @keesler that should cure your nausea.

8 hours ago, AUTiger03 said:

Is there a reason why Alabama signs so many every time compared to AU?

Because Bama retools with nearly all high schoolers while AU has to round out classes with transfer & Grad transfers. What you don't see on a list like this is all those dad gum transfers & Grad transfers AU has brought on in recent years. They don't show up on recruiting sites but they count just the same in the NCAA.'s eyes. Most teams bring in 25 new players every year. When you see a team signing more than 25 it's because they didn't bring in 25 the previous year & are having some January enrollies in the next class fill up the previous 26 limit.Some teams, like Bama, replenish the losses with nearly all high school kids. Other schools, like AU, have to finish off the yearly 25 limit, with transfers & Grad Transfers due to unnecessary holes brought on by poor roster management & in some cases development. This pretty much cancels out the rest of the question in the 2nd paragraph of the OP.

8 hours ago, AUTiger03 said:

Are we just unwilling to process players at a higher rate, or are we just unable to acquire more talent

We have had a high rate of attrition in recent years. We acquire the talent to fill unnecessary holes as stated above but some each class are transfers & Grad Transfers. Hope that clears things up @AUTiger03.

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Not all of the time but more often than not when a kid goes elsewhere Gus fills the spot with a much lower rated player or has to go the Grad Transfer route. 

Or leaves holes open a la OL recruiting.

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

The grad transfer route is not something you can build your team on and should be used when you have a glaring hole that must be filled.  In year 6 we should not be relying on Grad Transfers every year. 

7 hours ago, kd4au said:

They actually can sign up to 28 because they have 3 January Enrollies that can finish of their 2018 limit. Don't be surprised if they grey shirt 1 or 2 like they have done the past couple of years as well.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's 5 FWIW.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

We have 9 FWIW.

Archived