Chizik defends Gus Malzahn

aubiefifty

Not sure I'd call Gus' tenure a rollercoaster.  Outside of his first year, they avg 5 losses per year.  Even the "good" year, last year, that some like to hang Gus' hat on had 4 losses (3 in humiliating fashion).

The Gus "rollercoaster":

no-fun-roller-coaster-guy.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

First off nothing Bama has done kept Auburn a 8 win program. That's little brother syndrome 101. Secondly, being an 8 win program in the 50s is a LOT different from being an 8 win program in the current day. When you have 10 games in a season, being an 8 win team is a LOT different from being an 8 win team with 14/15 games per season. 

Even when Bama was down (every coach they had between Bryant and Saban, save for a few good years in between,) we weren't much better than an 8 win team. Exactly what was Bama doing to make Auburn an 8 win team while they themselves were an 8 win team?

People have to get the fudge over what Bama is doing. Nothing they do effects us in the least. As long as people continue to BELIEVE Bama is "holding us down" or "holding us back" we will continue to be called the little brother. Clemson isn't a state school. I sure don't feel like they are the little brother in South Carolina. Florida State sure isn't s little brother in Florida. USC sure isn't a little brother in California. But those schools don't cry about the other teams media holding them down. They don't react to everything the other schools do... People need to leave this little brother syndrome at the door.

Like I keep saying, it's probably gonna take another generation of ouldes finally dying for AU to be able to move forward.  Too much Bear Bryant StockhAUlm syndrome and spinelessness.  This stems from our BOT down to the average message board sheep.  I hope to see Peace In Our Time with everyone rowing in the right direction giving a competent HC the control, security, and bagmen that they need.  BASKETBALL is getting there.  Booster(s) went out and talked BRUCE into coming to AU and forced Jacobs hand with $$$.

War Eagle Anyway.

17 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm sorry, but that statement is BS...and Chizik is not referring to the Iron Bowl as one game, he's talking about the success of Saban as a whole.

You can bet your ass it's in play.

It may be in play but it is not at the top of the list when it concerns Malzahn.

These PTB know that CGM has beaten Alabama 2 times while at AU, and one time while as OC under Chizik. 

No other SEC coach has beaten Saban more than once. So the priorities is NOT the major reason for wanting Malzahn out. So Chizik is wrong in that sense. Does it enter the picture? OFC, if Malzahn had NEVER beaten Saban. 

The main reason is his inconsistencies as a HC, and the roller coaster ride during the years that we either started off strong then fell apart down the stretch or the years that we struggled early, but recovered down the stretch to have a winning season.

We want championship competitive years with our HC, and giving GM 6 years, and now 7 to find that is causing the grumblings, and with this buyout issue, it has made it harder to make a HC change, so AD Greene is working from the perspective that if Gus needs support in other areas, then give it to him, and THEN if he fails to be competitive, then evaluate to make a coaching change.

17 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Hey Gene- the fanbase has ceded the Bama game for ten years, only gets pissed off about Tennessee games, quarterbacks with broken arms, and such. Maybe he's worth defending  IDK  But the Saban comparison is not even on the list of issues at play here. Total misread Chizick. Go figure.

Good gawd man. How could a man with an IQ above 50 utter such nonsense? I'll accept you were drunk. For your sake, plead guilty.

17 hours ago, AURealist said:

Probably has a point about the power broker meddling.

Dead wrong about Saban.  

I believe the power brokers have already tried the 'counsel Gus' approach and they've finally given up on that.  Gus' dogged determination to keep doing the same damn things over and over is what's gotten him to this point and is what will eventually get him fired.  

He is dead right about Saban. IIWII. 

48 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Even the "good" year, last year, 

You don’t have to put quotations around good. We beat our two main rivals that were ranked number one and were SEC w division champs. I don’t want that to be our ceiling, but I’m not going to be afraid to call it a good year either. “Same ole Gus” ain’t gonna fly.

48 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Even the "good" year, last year, that some like to hang Gus' hat on had 4 losses (3 in humiliating fashion).

We also played a playoff team 4 times and an undefeated UCF team last year. 2 losses at end of tbe regular season as well.

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I've never understood people saying Bowden was fired. He was not. He quit on his team. In the middle of the season. 

And no it's not about Saban. It's about my 9 year old daughter who hates football being able to call out the plays after we line up. It's about running up the 0 gap after a first down 746 times in a row. It's about players looking worse in year 2 than they did year 1. It's about not hanging on to talent, not processing under performing talent, but running off talent. It's about not being able to count to 4.

I mean I COULD keep going listing the absurdities but everyone knows what they are unless their head has been in the sand for the past 5 years.

I called  plays at 50% in 2010 and 2013. I call plays at 50% on Sundays. Do you understand?

14 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

He is dead right about Saban. IIWII. 

The implication being made in the article is that no one in power would want to fire Gus if uat weren't coached by Nick Saban.  I don't believe it.  Wanting to fire a guy after 6 seasons isn't 'knee jerk' or "roller coaster".  Gus is failing to deliver, with or without Saban.    

28 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It may be in play but it is not at the top of the list when it concerns Malzahn.

These PTB know that CGM has beaten Alabama 2 times while at AU, and one time while as OC under Chizik. 

No other SEC coach has beaten Saban more than once. So the priorities is NOT the major reason for wanting Malzahn out. So Chizik is wrong in that sense. Does it enter the picture? OFC, if Malzahn had NEVER beaten Saban. 

The main reason is his inconsistencies as a HC, and the roller coaster ride during the years that we either started off strong then fell apart down the stretch or the years that we struggled early, but recovered down the stretch to have a winning season.

We want championship competitive years with our HC, and giving GM 6 years, and now 7 to find that is causing the grumblings, and with this buyout issue, it has made it harder to make a HC change, so AD Greene is working from the perspective that if Gus needs support in other areas, then give it to him, and THEN if he fails to be competitive, then evaluate to make a coaching change.

If Gus was the first coach that Auburn hired,  fired, wanted to fire, or interfered with, whether deserved or not, then I could whole-heartedly agree with you. 

From the Shug-to-Barfield transition until today, the leadership at Auburn, in general, has been a dividing source. Auburn money brokers, donors, board members, administrators, even to the slanted state media who thrive on our self-created drama.

In my earliest of Auburn remembrances, it was said that Paul Davis was the Shug-appointed successor until he allegedly had a little too much night-life in New Orleans before the Oklahoma Sugar Bowl after the '71 season. The Auburn President at the time, Harry Philpott, swore him off as long as he was president. Barfield got the job after '75.  

When nothing changes at the top, nothing changes below.

We've been living and dying by that paradigm for at least 57 years.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You don’t have to put quotations around good. We beat our two main rivals that were ranked number one and were SEC w division champs. I don’t want that to be our ceiling, but I’m not going to be afraid to call it a good year either. “Same ole Gus” ain’t gonna fly.

We also played a playoff team 4 times and an undefeated UCF team last year. 2 losses at end of tbe regular season as well.

As much as I enjoyed Amen Corner, Gus undid the Goodwill by deciding to hold AU hostage for a contract renegotiation instead of preparing for the most important game of the year. ....and it showed.  Sorry, he completely lost me with that decision.

So while beating thUga in the regular season was great, Gus handed it right back to them (which game you reckon thUga fans talked about more?) in the game that would have put AU in the CFP.

The UCF loss was a direct result of the deflation that was the SECCG.  The Clemson & LSU losses were not Auburn playing well and just being beat by "superior teams".  Auburn lost due to bad preparation & gameplanning against Clemson (the defense kept that game close despite the Offense) and the LSU Offensive Turtle Shell loss....  These were the very definition of "Same ole Gus".

I'm happy for you that you consider that a Good year.  ...and yes, I enjoyed Amen Corner.  Unfortunately, he used those two games to fool the crap out of the AU family and AU PTB to put us in the position we're in now.

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The implication being made in the article is that no one in power would want to fire Gus if uat weren't coached by Nick Saban.  I don't believe it.  Wanting to fire a guy after 6 seasons isn't 'knee jerk' or "roller coaster".  Gus is failing to deliver, with or without Saban.    

We disagree. The implication is AU fans feel additional pressure due to Saban success. 

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Um because he was a former coach here. So he has a unique perspective that only a few people would have. 

That doesn't make what he said correct though. It seems he actually thinks that Auburn acted impulsively firing him, lol

Could be but I think Chiz was spooked by the shooting that involved a number of players and Dyer's problems.....and reacted badly...clamped down on the players and lost their confidence?    And the Loeffler experiment too was a bad decision.  

None the less, the guy has been around football quite a while and observed a lot about the SEC and college football in general....and he did bring the first national championship to Auburn in about 50 years.

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

We disagree. The implication is AU fans feel additional pressure due to Saban success. 

Chiz is saying that Saban's success is making the difference.  Saying that is saying Auburn should be and would be happy with Gus' performance if only uat was doing poorly under another coach.    I hope that's not the case, because Gus is earning his pink slip without any help from Saban and I'd like to think the AUPTB are smart enough to recognize the fact.  

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Chiz is saying that Saban's success is making the difference.  Saying that is saying Auburn should be and would be happy with Gus' performance if only uat was doing poorly under another coach.    I hope that's not the case, because Gus is earning his pink slip without any help from Saban and I'd like to think the AUPTB are smart enough to recognize the fact.  

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Again I disagree. He is saying it makes a difference, not the difference. He also eludes to many other factors at play.

51 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As much as I enjoyed Amen Corner, Gus undid the Goodwill by deciding to hold AU hostage for a contract renegotiation instead of preparing for the most important game of the year. ....and it showed.  Sorry, he completely lost me with that decision.

That was just business and nothing personal. Gus was only three weeks removed from a burning hot seat. Of course he is going to demand security and tbe way we went after him this season entirely justifies the contract he sought. We could’ve just turned him down you know.

So while beating thUga in the regular season was great, Gus handed it right back to them (which game you reckon thUga fans talked about more?) in the game that would have put AU in the CFP.

We ran out of juice in tbe fourth quarter  and had already lost a key player. It happens. When Gus’s offense is healthy, he’s 2-0 in SECCG. Let’s not understate the tall task of playing THAT Georgia team twice in a month either. Their coaches were probably sifting through our game plan while preparing for Georgia Tech. I take this back, the Georgia coaches couldn’t know who to prepare for yet but still....It’s not like Georgia had to exert a lot of energy to defeat GA Tech. 

The UCF loss was a direct result of the deflation that was the SECCG

I agree. Their team wanted it and we didn’t get up for it. Not really sure how many times I’ve seen that play out but a lot. 

The Clemson & LSU losses were not Auburn playing well and just being beat by "superior teams". 

Stidham being green in our system and Kerryon out against Clemson certainly didn’t help.  I agree on LSU. Although I’m still  puzzled as to your continued quotation usage. 

Unfortunately, he used those two games to fool the crap out of the AU family and AU PTB to put us in the position we're in now.

It’s not his fault he kicked tbe dog crap out of them and sought job security. It’s our own fault for accepting it. Repeat after me. It’s our fault. OUR FAULT.

18 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That was just business and nothing personal. Gus was only three weeks removed from a burning hot seat. Of course he is going to demand security and tbe way we went after him this season entirely justifies the contract he sought. We could’ve just turned him down you know.

I know what you're saying and I'm a capitalist but his Business is to win football championships.  Clearly winning the SECCG was not personal for him but going from $4M per year to $7M was what he prioritized as personal.  He made that clear.  Oh, & I don't absolve the dummies who aided and abetted him.

45 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We ran out of juice in tbe fourth quarter  and had already lost a key player. It happens. When Gus’s offense is healthy, he’s 2-0 in SECCG. Let’s not understate the tall task of playing THAT Georgia team twice in a month either. Their coaches were probably sifting through our game plan while preparing for Georgia Tech. I take this back, the Georgia coaches couldn’t know who to prepare for yet but still....It’s not like Georgia had to exert a lot of energy to defeat GA Tech. 

I'm not pretending that beating thUga a 2nd time was an easy task.  Also, I would not have felt too bad about it except I personally believe Gus wasn't laser focused thus his coaches didn't even know if they'd have a HC going into the actual game...much less the players.  And I'm sorry, playing KJ in that game was unimaginative and detrimental to the Offense.  HC should have had RB2 ready to go.

53 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree. Their team wanted it and we didn’t get up for it. Not really sure how many times I’ve seen that play out but a lot. 

We're simpatico on this.

54 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Stidham being green in our system and Kerryon out against Clemson certainly didn’t help.  I agree on LSU. Although I’m still  puzzled as to your continued quotation usage. 

I agree that Stidham was still green, but the stupid play calling and poor line play didn't help.  Again, the O not playing to the strengths of the personnel.  A Gus trait.

My use of quotes in this case "superior teams".... I don't believe Clemson nor LSU were superior to a (well coached) Auburn.  .... especially LSU.  I sometimes use quotes to denote ironic/incorrect ideas as some on this board want to pretend those teams were simply superior.  It's not an uncommon grammar tool.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s not his fault he kicked tbe dog crap out of them and sought job security. It’s our own fault for accepting it. Repeat after me. It’s our fault. OUR FAULT.

Not my fault.  Maybe yours 😉.  Certainly a few college educated zillionaires' faults.

I was not for renegotiating a contract the week of the SECCG.  That was stupid.

Again, I'm a capitalist and believe one should be paid their worth....or market value.  But with that said, I also believe one should earn it and do what they're paid for.... again like standing up for your coaches & players, who laid themselves on the line all year, and being the leader they deserved the week of the Conference Championship.  I don't feel any sympathy/empathy for one holding out simply for MORE millions.

I feed, clothe, and shelter a family of 4 for probably less than he makes in 1 qtr of a football game.  So I'm not going to pretend to feel for his financial situation.  Matter of fact, I wish the PTB would keep all the money talk secret.  It's none of our business really.

25 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Clearly winning the SECCG was not personal for him but going from $4M per year to $7M was what he prioritized as personal

You mean job security is what he held personal right? He didn’t hold Auburn hostage (lol.) He didn’t say give me a deal or my team won’t be practicing before the SECCG. He went about business as usual. Look up when Gus handled his contract during the 2013 season. He did it the week of that SECCG as well and he coached fine then. Your personal belief that he wasnt focused is devoid of fact. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/lets_get_this_done_gus_malzahn.html

38 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

use quotes to denote ironic/incorrect ideas as some on this board want to pretend those teams were simply superior.  It's not an uncommon grammar tool.

Usually when people use quotation marks, theyre referencing a direct and unique quote. And I doubt anybody has ever called that LSU team the superior team. 

41 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So I'm not going to pretend to feel for his financial situation. 

Nobody is wanting you to feel sorry for his situation. But to say he held Auburn hostage or anything else like that is ridiculous. He is a professional represented by another professional and contract negotiations happen all the time. You cannot fault him for looking after his own when you look after yours.

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You mean job security is what he held personal right? He didn’t hold Auburn hostage (lol.) He didn’t say give me a deal or my team won’t be practicing before the SECCG. He went about business as usual. Look up when Gus handled his contract during the 2013 season. He did it the week of that SECCG as well and he coached fine then. Your personal belief that he wasnt focused is devoid of fact. 

Your previous post said it wasn't personal but business.  I pointed out that it WAS personal and he ignored his Business of coaching his football team. So, which is it?  You're moving the target on me.

As for not holding AU hostage... I thought it was "pay me or I go to Arkansas"...  And apparently it was made clear the deal had to be done before the SECCG.  So the coaches & players didn't even know if Gus would be their HC in the game.  What would you call it then?  Besides business, of course.

As for 2013, good for him.  Glad it worked and they successfully defeated Missouri.  So, I guess the pattern is, SECCG = New Contract Negotiation.  Great.  Maybe next time they will lower the buyout LOL.

Usually when people use quotation marks, theyre referencing a direct and unique quote. And I doubt anybody has ever called that LSU team the superior team. 

I've read enough of your posts to believe you're highly intelligent.  So, I believe you know why I'm using them and you understand the point of ironic quotes....or Air-Quotes...if you will.  For some reason you just want to act like I'm stupid or weird.  I much prefer the intelligent conversation I felt like we were having as opposed to you trying to be argumentative about something silly to make yourself superior to me.  But that's okay.  I'm comfortable in my skin.

Nobody is wanting you to feel sorry for his situation. But to say he held Auburn hostage or anything else like that is ridiculous. He is a professional represented by another professional and contract negotiations happen all the time. You cannot fault him for looking after his own when you look after yours.

I don't disagree with anything you said here really. Except maybe the 2nd sentence...

However, as an Auburn Football Fan I have the every right to feel disappointed in the performance of AU's multi-millionaire coach and will not pretend to be able to relate to his version of looking after his family vs the real world version.  I don't begrudge him his pay, but I do begrudge him being paid so astronomically for doing a pretty bad job.

Now, with that, we obviously just don't see The Gus Malzahn Experience eye-to-eye and that's okay.

God bless you and your family, War Eagle and Merry Christmas!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Your previous post said it wasn't personal but business.  I pointed out that it WAS personal and he ignored his Business of coaching his football team

You’ve yet to point out how he ignored his business as coach? His job doesn’t begin and end on Saturdays. Apparently in 2013, he nogotiated the contract late Thursday night before tbe SECCG. Did he ignore his business then?

And how am I moving the target? You said it was your opinion that he ignored he lost focus during the SECCG week and my opinion has yet to shift.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

As for not holding AU hostage... I thought it was "pay me or I go to Arkansas"

That’s a negotiation. If Auburn doesn’t want to give him job security, let him leave and nobody is bound to him anymore. 

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Now, with that, we obviously just don't see The Gus Malzahn Experience eye-to-eye and that's okay.

Agreed and Merry Christmas. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’ve yet to point out how he ignored his business as coach? His job doesnt begin and end on Saturdays. Apparently in 2013, he nogotiated the contract late Thursday night before tbe SECCG. Did he ignore his business then?

And how am I moving the target? You said it was your opinion that he ignored he lost focus during the SECCG week and my opinion has yet to shift.

I actually have pointed it out in posts dating back to last year after the SECCG.  Your not going to agree but just for this exercise in futility, I've stated the thUga 2.0 gameplan was nothing but the same stuff we've seen over and over from this Offense.  Plus, somebody REALLY paying attention realizes KJ was not good to go.  It was clear early in the game.  Thus, I don't believe Gus was entirely present in the coaching and gameplanning.... certainly not as focused as he should be for a Championship.  And with that, he had both coaches and players not sure if he was going to be their HC in the game throughout much of the week.  You don't think THAT affected their focus and prep?

There, it's pointed out.... again.  It's just opinionated conversation and I'm fine that you disagree.

4 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Like I keep saying, it's probably gonna take another generation of ouldes finally dying for AU to be able to move forward.  Too much Bear Bryant StockhAUlm syndrome and spinelessness.  This stems from our BOT down to the average message board sheep.  I hope to see Peace In Our Time with everyone rowing in the right direction giving a competent HC the control, security, and bagmen that they need.  BASKETBALL is getting there.  Booster(s) went out and talked BRUCE into coming to AU and forced Jacobs hand with $$$.

War Eagle Anyway.

thor.gif

50 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I actually have pointed it out in posts dating back to last year after the SECCG.  Your not going to agree but just for this exercise in futility, I've stated the thUga 2.0 gameplan was nothing but the same stuff we've seen over and over from this Offense.  Plus, somebody REALLY paying attention realizes KJ was not good to go.  It was clear early in the game.  Thus, I don't believe Gus was entirely present in the coaching and gameplanning.... certainly not as focused as he should be for a Championship.  And with that, he had both coaches and players not sure if he was going to be their HC in the game throughout much of the week.  You don't think THAT affected their focus and prep?

There, it's pointed out.... again.  It's just opinionated conversation and I'm fine that you disagree.

The game plan was chugging alone fine early on.... we literally went right down the field on them to start. If we score on that drive where Stid fumbled we break their will and win IMO. That turnover gave them momentum and we could never get it back. In additon it was like the entire team got out of sync. Missed field goal, unforced fumble, two blown blocks, etc.   

I like Chiz but Gus is a “good” HC ?  Really ? It’s not like bama is our only loss every year or Gus has been consistently winning 10 regular season games per season and catching heat over losing to bama ! Gus has turned us into Ole Piss East and that is simply unacceptable!  Chiz is right about the BOT meddling, but he is as dilusional as Gus if thinks 7-8 wins per season losing to most of your main rivals is a good coaching ! 

War Eagle 

Just now, PoetTiger said:

The game plan was chugging alone fine early on.... we literally went right down the field on them to start. If we score on that drive where Stid fumbled we break their will and win IMO. That turnover gave them momentum and we could never get it back. In additon it was like the entire team got out of sync. Missed field goal, unforced fumble, two blown blocks, etc.   

It's been bantied about for years regarding the early scripted plays.  Yes, those seem to work fine.  ...but then the adjustments and real on the fly coaching seems to be the bugaboo so often in Auburn's offense.

I'm sorry to those who think Gus is just fine but I don't.  There's been boucoup evidence over the years that he's in over his head.  It's fine that you disagree.  I simply hope we ALL get what we want, regardless of who's running the show.  A competent and always competitive team representing on Saturdays.

Archived