Chizik defends Gus Malzahn

aubiefifty

Just now, DAG said:

But why do we need more talent to beat teams already inferior to us? That’s my response. 

Because they aren't that far behind talent wise, unfortunately. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, VAtiger12 said:

Because they aren't that far behind talent wise, unfortunately. 

That’s just simply not true. Mississippi State is not nearly as close to us in talent as you mention. Tennessee? Yes, but then I have to ask, how are these other teams handling UT then? Missouri and Vandy CRUSHED Tennessee 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s just simply not true. Mississippi State is not nearly as close to us in talent as you mention. Tennessee? Yes, but then I have to ask, how are these other teams handling UT then? Missouri and Vandy CRUSHED Tennessee 

I'm not saying we shouldn't have still beaten Tennessee. You've got my vote all day on that one. It's still college football, how did Purdue beat Ohio State? It happens. 

The entire point I was trying to make was that our losses on the recruiting trail have led to our inconsistency more than a lot of other factors have. 

To talk about the MSU point, I feel like our offensive line is more or less at MSU's level and well.. it's shown all year. 

2 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I'm not saying we shouldn't have still beaten Tennessee. You've got my vote all day on that one. It's still college football, how did Purdue beat Ohio State? It happens. 

The entire point I was trying to make was that our losses on the recruiting trail have led to our inconsistency more than a lot of other factors have. 

To talk about the MSU point, I feel like our offensive line is more or less at MSU's level and well.. it's shown all year. 

Fair enough 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also, just want to throw this out there. I know my varying opinion will make me a HATER, but it isn’t just about getting talent.  Talent is helpful, but scheming/development is just as important. If that were not the case then why does FSU suck so bad? Why is USC average? Texas just got nice again. Look at freaking Miami? These are blue chip caliber schools struggling and they can definitely hand pick players across the nation. I will say, the reason NS is the GOAT is because he has tapped into something instrumental.

He has learned to get the best out of not only his players, but the leaders shaping his players. One thing I find fascinating about NS is he is still a student to leadership. I was watching college football live yesterday and he had Kobe speak to his players. Guess what? NS was in the front row with a pen and paper, listening and learning. I found that simple action fascinating. 

The man places MENTAL training and development equal to PHYSICAL training and development.  He does not feel like he is above learning something new or training his mind and keeping it sharp and he wants the same for his staff & players. 

Mind over Matter!

The #1 obstacle holding humans back is not their body, it's their brain.

1 hour ago, VAtiger12 said:

I don't think there's as much development happening in college as some people want to think. I think it's mostly that good players come in, a lot of muscle gets added, they learn some techniques and they are out. I think there's only a select few who are really making big jumps. I see that all across college football, Auburn is about the same as most schools in that regard. 

This statement is why I gave the facepalm.  Why would a school even hire position coaches if they can’t develop a player?  You mention that they learn some techniques; isn’t that development?  I mentioned this is another thread, but if you are a good position coach you student will excel and the focus is on the player, not the coach.  If a player excels he has had a good position coach, no player can reach his goal just by going through the motions, he has to be coached (read developed).

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

The man places MENTAL training and development equal to PHYSICAL training and development.  He does not feel like he is above learning something new or training his mind and keeping it sharp and he wants the same for his staff & players. 

Mind over Matter!

The #1 obstacle holding humans back is not their body, it's their brain.

Honestly though, when was the last time Auburn has invited someone of that caliber, who is not associated with Auburn to speak? Like a Derek Jeter, Tim Duncan, etc?

15 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I think everyone of us can agree that while Auburn consistently pulls top 10 talent every single year, there have been glaring deficiencies in certain areas of the roster that has been ignored.  Those deficiencies bit the team in the butt this year and those areas need immediate attention and improvement. 

I think everyone of us can agree that player development, preparing players, roster management, and talent retention is another area that needs attention and improvement.

I honestly don't know that Auburn can do any better in recruiting than they are right now, and I don't know that the losses on the recruiting trail can be curtailed with the current staff.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly though, when is the last time Auburn has invited someone of that caliber, who is not associated with Auburn to speak? Like a Derek Jeter, Tim Duncan, etc?

Auburn prides itself on not operating in any capacity like the evil one's to the West of us.  :cool:

Archived