The Beginning of the End?

homersapien

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

She's an old woman trying feverishly and fruitlessly to connect with a younger voting base.

I bet she isn't even ....1/1024 drunk.  ;) 

I wouldn't assume her positions are primarily oriented toward the young.  And Sanders certainly didn't seem to have a problem with the young. 

Regardless of your emotional reaction to Warren, the time for her message has come.

(That's a good crack though about the Native American blood though. ;) )

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Then we agree.  Warren's not a drunk and Pelosi does have dementia.

FTFY...

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

FTFY...

Well, I guess that makes Warren a drunk.  (Or maybe she also has dementia.  Once there's enough video to compile, I am sure a similar case could be made.)

You really have a thing with doubling down on idiotic positions. :no:

I'd love to see a spilt ticket with two moderates with a track record of being able to compromise both directions. 

Cut out the extremes from both parties

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I'd love to see a spilt ticket with two moderates with a track record of being able to compromise both directions. 

Yeah. Though we have become such a massively polarized society politically it is difficult to believe that has any realistic shot of occurring unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yeah. Though we have become such a massively polarized society politically it is difficult to believe that has any realistic shot of occurring unfortunately. 

The majority of the country isn't polarized and they want or support compromise. Nonpolar candidates running together on a platform of compromise based on similarities rather than differences would do well...IMO. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The majority of the country isn't polarized. 

I sure wish that was true but it seems to me that it isn't. Even the small sample of posters in this forum appears to show we are polarized.

18 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I sure wish that was true but it seems to me that it isn't. Even the small sample of posters in this forum appears to show we are polarized.

You really think this is a true sample?  

I see predominantly political polarization actually.  It's been happening since well before Trump. It's just being exacerbated now.

There are groups that seem to be moving toward the center, away from the extremism on both sides and that looks promising. I am hopeful this movement gains momentum as more and more logical folks tire of the constant craziness and find themselves seeking a common ground and rational discussion/forward progress. 

I think this concern about polarization is sort of misplaced.  The immediate problem is elsewhere.

Trump Has Entered The Lying Stratosphere, Says Pulitzer Prize-Winning Columnist

“No one believes a word out of his mouth,” Thomas Friedman said of the president.

Three-time Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman didn’t hold back on his scathing criticism of Donald Trump on Friday, calling him a “disturbed” president who lies so often that “no one trusts this man.”

“If we face a crisis with a president who no one believes who’s surrounded by a C-team in a dysfunctional  White House, then God save us,” Friedman told Wolf Blitzer on CNN.

Trump has told “one too many lies,” Friedman said. “I don’t know whether it’s lie number 6,000 or 7,000 — The Washington Post has been keeping tab — but ... we’re in a moment now where people simply don’t believe a word out of his mouth. When he can stand up and say, ‘I never said Mexico would pay for the wall,’ we’re through the looking glass.”

The “core” problem is that “we have a president without shame who is backed by a party without spine that is supported by a network called Fox News without integrity,” Friedman said. “Fasten your seatbelt.”

Friedman called Trump a president with “formal authority but no moral authority.” The most frightening thing, Friedman noted, is that the Republican Party will do nothing to stand up to him. 

”We have a disturbed man as president – that’s very clear,” Friedman said. “We have a party that is not ready to stand up to it. What worries me is now we’re threatening our institutions.”

The “biggest crisis right now is in the Oval Office,” Friedman said.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, bigbird said:

You really think this is a true sample?  

It appears to me it is but I wouldn't argue that it is. It is sure divided.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:38 AM, johnnyAU said:

She's an old woman trying feverishly and fruitlessly to connect with a younger voting base.

I bet she isn't even ....1/1024 drunk.  ;) 

You are right in her objective.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:44 AM, bigbird said:

The problem with that scenario is you wind up with essentially the Democratic party of of the Clinton(s).  In other words, a party that is still dedicated to corporate money, free trade, globalization and the wealthy rather than the "working" class.  That's how we got to where we are.

What we need is a new party - or possibly a reformed Democratic party - that returns to serving the constituency of the poor, middle class and working class. 

That may sound "extreme" in principle, but the numbers don't lie.  We are heading for a major upheaval that will be fueled by wealth distribution.

(Incidentally, that's why AOC's suggesting of a 70% tax rate is not as outlandish as it may sound.)

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

You are right in her objective. But there is something you can't see in this close up of her. She is in her kitchen and the bigger picture is interesting. On top of the cabinets behind her are several figurines, one being a young black chomping into a slice of watermelon. If she was a conservative the media would be all over it screaming racist and Sharpton and Jackson would be on CNN in a heartbeat.

Well, that's probably true - if you could see it.  :-\

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

The problem with that scenario is you wind up with essentially the Democratic party of of the Clinton(s).  In other words, a party that is dedicated to corporate money, free trade, globalization and the wealthy rather than the "working" class.  That's how we got to where we are.

What we need is a new party - or possibly a reformed Democratic party - that returns to serving the constituency of the poor, middle class and working class. 

That may sound "extreme" in principle, but the numbers don't lie.  We are heading for a major upheaval that will be fueled by wealth distribution.

(Incidentally, that's why AOC's suggesting of a 70% tax rate is not as outlandish as it may sound.)

I am so proud of you...:campfire:

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, that's probably true - if you could see it.  :-\

Just curious if PT was shown the video of Warren, that the pieces on top of her cabinetry were actually not watermelon eating figurines, but ceramic kettles.  I see the edited the original post, but I don't see a correction.

Trump’s Crumbling Wall — Of GOP Political Support

The increasing Republican skittishness about Trump’s wall and the continuing government shutdown offers an instructive preview of how Donald Trump’s presidency is likely to end: when key Republican senators decide that Trump is more trouble than he’s worth.

What’s new about this crisis is the increasing number of Republican defections. Politically, Trump’s obsession has backfired. His demand for the wall and his holding the rest of the government hostage become more unpopular by the day.

The most recent polls show that the public blames Trump more than the Democrats for the shutdown by margins approaching 2–to–1. There are at least seven Republicans in tight re-election races in 2020, and they aren’t happy.

They include Cory Gardner of Colorado, Susan Collins of Maine, Thom Tillis of North Carolina and Rob Portman of Ohio. Senators Pat Roberts of Kansas, who is retiring, and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska have also expressed exasperation in comments to the press. One can only imagine what they say in private.

The increasing Republican skittishness about Trump’s wall and the continuing government shutdown offers an instructive preview of how Donald Trump’s presidency is likely to end: when key Republican senators decide that Trump is more trouble than he’s worth.

What’s new about this crisis is the increasing number of Republican defections. Politically, Trump’s obsession has backfired. His demand for the wall and his holding the rest of the government hostage become more unpopular by the day.

The most recent polls show that the public blames Trump more than the Democrats for the shutdown by margins approaching 2–to–1. There are at least seven Republicans in tight re-election races in 2020, and they aren’t happy.

They include Cory Gardner of Colorado, Susan Collins of Maine, Thom Tillis of North Carolina and Rob Portman of Ohio. Senators Pat Roberts of Kansas, who is retiring, and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska have also expressed exasperation in comments to the press. One can only imagine what they say in private.

In addition, two of the most resolute Trump defenders, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz of Texas, pushed back hard when Trump began saying that he could reprogram disaster aid to build the wall. Texas still has not recovered from the extensive damage of Hurricane Harvey.

Republicans are also frustrated that Trump keeps changing the game plan, on a whim, and fails to give them a heads-up. As recently as Dec. 19, Republicans in the Senate approved a funding bill that contained no extra money for the wall that Trump abruptly decided he had to have.

Here’s my crystal ball. I think the shutdown will end in the next week. The two parties in Congress will craft a deal that includes just enough of a face-saver that Trump can sign it. He and his advisers will be warned by key Republicans that they are just about out of patience.

The deal, not unlike the one that the Senate was prepared to go along with in late December, will reopen the government while separate negotiations about border security continue. In those negotiations, Democrats may come up with some kind of sweetener, such as more funds for border security including a stretch that Trump can call a wall, perhaps in exchange for a deal on DACA and the Dreamers. That would be worth a bit more wall ― which probably won’t even get built by the time Trump is ousted from office.

The fact that Trump has already backed off his threat to use emergency powers to build his wall suggests that he is not impervious to Republican pressure. Even the solid wall of right-wing support has started to crack on that one. The Wall Street Journal editorial board warned that if Trump could invoke emergency powers to build his wall, President Elizabeth Warren could use emergency powers to do God knows what.

Reflect on that for a moment. The gang at the Journal are actually worried that Elizabeth Warren might be the next president.

Republican defections over Trump’s wall are an ominous dress rehearsal for the end-game to come. Crumbling support for the shutdown comes at a moment when senior Republicans have challenged his Syria policy, and his Republican defenders are reeling from the latest revelations that the FBI initiated a counterintelligence investigation to assess whether Trump was literally acting as a Russian asset. That probe, in turn, became part of Robert Mueller’s inquiry.

Bottom line: Trump is becoming more and more of a political liability for Republicans, and harder and harder to defend. It’s challenging enough to defend him against all the charges of corruption and obstruction coming to a head in the Mueller probe. Impulsive and petulant demands like the wall only add to Republican miseries.

That’s why I remain convinced that the Trump presidency will end, after the House votes to impeach him, with a delegation of Republicans paying a call on the White House. They’ll advise Trump that his Senate support is uncertain, and that he’d be smart to cut the most important deal of his life — a deal with prosecutors to spare him and his family further legal woes ― if he will just spare the country another day of his presidency.

Robert Kuttner is co-editor of The American Prospect and professor at Brandeis University’s Heller School. His latest book is Can Democracy Survive Global Capitalism?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-trump-government-shutdown_us_5c3c12b7e4b0922a21d6218a

Archived