Good for gus

musicitytiger

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, congrats to Gus and the team. The announcer just said that the 56 points are the most points scored in one half of any bowl game, ever. It's been a very impressive performance.

Not to extrapolate here too much while drunk on 56 first half points OR to take away from this performance - IMO punking Purdue is solid, like punking a South Carolina - but the real question, looking at this from 10,000 feet, is why did Gus struggle first time around shouldering both HC and OC duties and what is he doing differently? Maybe putting the minutiae on Dill will make all the difference?  

51 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

I give him a hard time when things go south.  I should be the first to admit when he’s thriving.  Good for him

we are the bad boys of the sec, it’s beautiful watching gus embrace it

I’m all for this Gus. He won me over betting on himself and hope he climbs out of the pit of adversity with his muscles flexing.

Hey if I'm going to give Gustav a hard time when he makes a ton of awful moves, then I have to be fair and tip my hat when he comes out and opens a major can on Purdue. Happy for him and the kids to go out with a W and hopefully some positive vibes for next year.  He's all in 200% on himself. There will be no more guessing over who is calling the plays, who is not able to execute their gameplan etc. Its all Gustav 200% whether that's success or fail. Hoping for lots of success including just a bit of QB development for once.

We played in a bowl game we shouldn't be in against a 6 and 6 team in a perinneally bad program in a mediocre conference...

I am glad the boys got a win...their coach is still the same guy that has underperformed the last 5 years....this game was like giving an enema to a corpse...it didn't hurt the program...but it's not going to reanimate it either...

Gus needs to do this when it matters.  He has what he wanted....needs to deliver.

3 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

I give him a hard time when things go south.  I should be the first to admit when he’s thriving.  Good for him

we are the bad boys of the sec, it’s beautiful watching gus embrace it

I don't know anything about the bad boys of the SEC, but it was a great game today. Emphatic.

Good job Gus.

Let's examine the Gus "To Do" list:

1. Finish early signing period strong. CHECK

2. Execute an exciting, dominating bowl win. CHECK

3. Finish final signing period strong.

4. Execute a purposeful spring practice and separate the QBs as much as possible.  Concentrate on improving the OL.

5. Same for fall.  Decide on a starter as early as possible.

and so forth...

34 minutes ago, japantiger said:

We played in a bowl game we shouldn't be in against a 6 and 6 team in a perinneally bad program in a mediocre conference...

I am glad the boys got a win...their coach is still the same guy that has underperformed the last 5 years....this game was like giving an enema to a corpse...it didn't hurt the program...but it's not going to reanimate it either...

Gus needs to do this when it matters.  He has what he wanted....needs to deliver.

It matters that he took over the O and performed extremely well! It matters that he broke a record scoring more points in the first half of a bowl ball game than any team in the entire history of the NCAA. It matters that we were 3 1/2 point favorites and beat them by more than half a century. It matters Gus beat Alabama and Georgia last year. It matters he’s won one SEC championship and played for another. It matters he signed the number one dual threat quarterback in the country, and a good recruiting class that has a chance to finish in the top five.

Missed the game today for an emergency at work. Proud of the team, and although one of his most ardent critics, I'm happy for Gus. I'm not about to jump back on the bus however until I'm sure it isn't going to spring another oil leak when it matters most. I still hold out hope that Gus gets us to the level of consistency that we all hope for. At the end of the day we should expect more than 7-8 wins a year for the kind of money he is being paid. Next season should tell the tale one way, or another. 

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

Agreed!  He is actually coaching on the sidelines, too.  He hasn't done that all season.  Why?  

Didn't want to meddle?  :dunno:   Good to see him taking charge.....all the way....

29 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Obviously it was Gus that hired Lindsey; but if I was Chip this evening, I’d be pretty embarrassed.

maybe but apparently there was stress between them (comments on the tube) and might have affected the team.   Not necessarily a Chip issue but sometimes people are just not able to work together and Gus does not seem to do well delegating.   SO....hoping he continues to do what he did today and "owns it". 

Noticed Gus' demeanor in the post game (on-field) interview was..... interesting.  He deflected all of the praise on to the players (good) as opposed to what so many, me included, rail on when it's usually "poor execution" after a bad game.  Props to Gus.

But.... His mood was SO subdued.  Almost annoyed...it was odd.  Anyone else notice or see it that way?

Beyond that, the Offensive Line.  Where the heck was THAT all year?  I mean, Purdue may be a middling Big 10 team but they DID beat tOSU and were at least on par with some of the other teams Auburn played this year *ahem*UT*ahem* and until Malik came in and they became so predictable with the poorly executed zone-read, the Line was excellent. 

Did Chip Lindsey really poison the offense (line) that bad or was this game just some anomaly?  THIS Offensive Line would give me hope for '19.  But can we trust it?

DANG this excellent performance!!!!  😉😉😉

Bottom Line.... What a game!  It was truly fun to be an Auburn Tiger today -- War Eagle!!!!

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Not to extrapolate here too much while drunk on 56 first half points OR to take away from this performance - IMO punking Purdue is solid, like punking a South Carolina - but the real question, looking at this from 10,000 feet, is why did Gus struggle first time around shouldering both HC and OC duties and what is he doing differently? Maybe putting the minutiae on Dill will make all the difference?  

I may not remember this correctly, but I though our offense was good with him calling but that he was taking heat for the defense and not paying attention there. I may Be remembering incorrectly

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Noticed Gus' demeanor in the post game (on-field) interview was..... interesting.  He deflected all of the praise on to the players (good) as opposed to what so many, me included, rail on when it's usually "poor execution" after a bad game.  Props to Gus.

But.... His mood was SO subdued.  Almost annoyed...it was odd.  Anyone else notice or see it that way?

Beyond that, the Offensive Line.  Where the heck was THAT all year?  I mean, Purdue may be a middling Big 10 team but they DID beat tOSU and were at least on par with some of the other teams Auburn played this year *ahem*UT*ahem* and until Malik came in and they became so predictable with the poorly executed zone-read, the Line was excellent. 

Did Chip Lindsey really poison the offense (line) that bad or was this game just some anomaly?  THIS Offensive Line would give me hope for '19.  But can we trust it?

DANG this excellent performance!!!!  😉😉😉

Bottom Line.... What a game!  It was truly fun to be an Auburn Tiger today -- War Eagle!!!!

I kind of felt the same way about the post game interview. It's like he didn't want to do it. My guess is that he has just grown weary of and lost faith in the media at this point. He can blame them but he has to look in the mirror too. The whole story that a lot of us bought regarding the contract renegotiation might be the last straw for him. Do I want a good ambassador for Auburn if the opportunity is presenting itself? Yes, but if Gus develops an edge and can get the team to play like they did today then I don't care if he gives a brief and irritable interview or not. I've given up my seat on the bus and I'm not getting back in line yet but I'm very happy for him. I've always wanted him to succeed. 

Archived