Good for gus

musicitytiger

29 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I may not remember this correctly, but I though our offense was good with him calling but that he was taking heat for the defense and not paying attention there. I may Be remembering incorrectly

The defense was bad in '14 he listened and brought in muschamp to fix it. The offense tanked the next year and he gave up play calling to Lashlee about 4 games into 2016. Don't get me wrong I hope Malzahn's play calling takes us to New Orleans next year but there was a reason he gave up play calling duties to his OC and we would all be naive to forget why. Anyway damn good job today. War Eagle

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Obviously it was Gus that hired Lindsey; but if I was Chip this evening, I’d be pretty embarrassed.

I will disagree.. I’m a Gus fan. Maybe the last. But Gus can’t keep his system and oversee another coach to run it. It’s unique. He must run it himself or let somebody else have it. I like the former.

11 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

The defense was bad in '14 he listened and brought in muschamp to fix it. The offense tanked the next year and he gave up play calling to Lashlee about 4 games into 2016. Don't get me wrong I hope Malzahn's play calling takes us to New Orleans next year but there was a reason he gave up play calling duties to his OC and we would all be naive to forget why. Anyway damn good job today. War Eagle

I mean, let’s be real, we saw the same plays we saw all year other than the cam fake wheel route. When I saw that fake reverse pass I knew it was no different. Whether people want to say so and so was calling the plays, etc, Gus has filtered it all.

In the end, we were far more superior physically than they were

JMO and I am not an expert.. but the only thing I saw different today with our offense was execution. Plays looked the same. CGM did not go conservative when it was and 28-7(this was a nice change) instead he kept the hammer down until he pulled the starters on offense. 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I mean, let’s be real, we saw the same plays we saw all year other than the cam fake wheel route. When I saw that fake reverse pass I knew it was no different. Whether people want to say so and so was calling the plays, etc, Gus has filtered it all.

In the end, we were far more superior physically than they were

The plays he calls have not and will never change. That goes for almost every coach. It’s the timing and situations that they are called in and the personnel groups and execution that makes them go. Gus has to get a feel for what his unit can do and set the defense up to make it work.. he has to be neck deep in game planing all week. He sees this now. He’ll have to get help with other head coach duties. But this is his offense now..

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

The plays he calls have not and will never change. That goes for almost every coach. It’s the timing and situations that they are called in and the personnel groups and execution that makes them go. Gus has to get a feel for what his unit can do and set the defense up to make it work.. he has to be neck deep in game planing all week. He sees this now. He’ll have to get help with other head coach duties. But this is his offense now..

It’s been his offense for 6 years, if he’s just seeing that now that’s a problem. Lackluster positional recruiting doesn’t help, not having backups game ready doesn’t help, predictable playcalling based on personnel doesn’t help. I’m rooting for the players in 2019, they deserve it, I’m just hoping Gus doesn’t let them down

Just got back home from the game and I am still smiling ear to ear.  That truly was a swan song for all of the outgoing players.  So happy for them.  

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I will disagree.. I’m a Gus fan. Maybe the last. But Gus can’t keep his system and oversee another coach to run it. It’s unique. He must run it himself or let somebody else have it. I like the former.

I'm still on the bus...never got off.  The toughest part of being an Auburn fan is other Auburn fans, if you know what I mean.  

3 hours ago, AuMarine said:

JMO and I am not an expert.. but the only thing I saw different today with our offense was execution. Plays looked the same. CGM did not go conservative when it was and 28-7(this was a nice change) instead he kept the hammer down until he pulled the starters on offense. 

Yeah I didn’t see anything different either, if anything, this’ll just serve to reinforce Gus’s philosophy that you can run whatever and it just needs to be executed. 

9 hours ago, doverstutts said:

its a shame that he has to be threatened pushed and shoved to earn his 7 million.....be careful with your expectations for next year....this is the same coach that lost to tennessee

Agree. Happy for the win but no one should be threatened with being fired time after time to perform their job. Next season will tell the story. 

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Noticed Gus' demeanor in the post game (on-field) interview was..... interesting.  He deflected all of the praise on to the players (good) as opposed to what so many, me included, rail on when it's usually "poor execution" after a bad game.  Props to Gus.

But.... His mood was SO subdued.  Almost annoyed...it was odd.  Anyone else notice or see it that way?

Beyond that, the Offensive Line.  Where the heck was THAT all year?  I mean, Purdue may be a middling Big 10 team but they DID beat tOSU and were at least on par with some of the other teams Auburn played this year *ahem*UT*ahem* and until Malik came in and they became so predictable with the poorly executed zone-read, the Line was excellent. 

Did Chip Lindsey really poison the offense (line) that bad or was this game just some anomaly?  THIS Offensive Line would give me hope for '19.  But can we trust it?

DANG this excellent performance!!!!  😉😉😉

Bottom Line.... What a game!  It was truly fun to be an Auburn Tiger today -- War Eagle!!!!

I agree that feflect8ng the praise was the right way to go.

I had a different take on his demeanor though, it seemed to me that he was freezing his arse off after getting the water cooler dumped on him lol

Happy about the win and glad that Gus kept his foot on the gas.  Also nice to see the wheel route make a comeback.  More than anything though, the o line was the biggest difference when compared to the rest of the year.

However, I'm reserving judgement until I see this consistently.  Brohm can coach, but there is a severe talent gap between us and Purdue.  AU is top 10 every year in recruiting while Purdue is in the mid-low 60s prior to this year.  As long as we were motivated, which to Gus's credit we were, we should have dominated that game.  It's a nice win and Gus deserves credit for it, but I'm not back on the bus by any stretch.

16 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Dunno, but he’s got the boys drinking blood.  We are the 80’s Miami of the sec, wear it 

We are the Miami of the 80’s because Gus ran the score up on Purdue? You don’t remember the Miami of the 80’s. Not even close. 

16 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes, congrats to Gus and the team. The announcer just said that the 56 points are the most points scored in one half of any bowl game, ever. It's been a very impressive performance.

The lopsided score is largely due to the match up of teams. You've got one team that has had 7 years of Top Ten recruiting classes vs a team who averages classes ranked ~ #70.  Maybe 2 players on that Purdue team would play in the SEC.  With our level of athletes we should have been playing against a much better team.  

Of course, it is nice to win bowl games.  Maybe we can figure out a way to bowl against Kansas next season and go for 75 first half points...   

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Obviously it was Gus that hired Lindsey; but if I was Chip this evening, I’d be pretty embarrassed.

About what? That Gus didn’t let him do his job correctly? Gus should be the one embarrassed. Pissed away a lot of talent this year. Like he did last year. Nothing that happened this year is on Chip. 

8 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The lopsided score is largely due to the match up of teams. You've got one team that has had 7 years of Top Ten recruiting classes vs a team who averages classes ranked ~ #70.  Maybe 2 players on that Purdue team would play in the SEC.  With our level of athletes we should have been playing against a much better team.  

Of course, it is nice to win bowl games.  Maybe we can figure out a way to bowl against Kansas next season and go for 75 first half points...   

I agree that Purdue is no where near us in talent level, we also lost to teams this year who were less talented than us. That is the problem most of us have with Gus. I am happy for the players that they went out and executed and never took their foot off Purdue’s throat. I will give Gus credit, he had the players motivated and ready to go as he should have all season.. now let’s see if this carries over to next year. I am just so happy for our guys who worked their tails off all season.. they deserved this game.

8 hours ago, GoAU said:

I agree that feflect8ng the praise was the right way to go.

I had a different take on his demeanor though, it seemed to me that he was freezing his arse off after getting the water cooler dumped on him lol

My take was that he sounded truly humble...I never thought about the water cooler!! Great point!

Have not seen any mention, but on the timeouts late in second half and at end of the game Gus called all the team in.  The guys on the back bench were called up to circle.  

It looked to me Gus was bringing the entire team in on the decision to take a knee at the end of the game.  I was back about 15 rows, but it looked like the coaches and assistants were trying to settle down emotions after the unsportsmanlike calls rather than save time for another score.  

6 hours ago, AURealist said:

Yes, I'm aware of all that and more. But, you also need to enjoy it when good things happen too. It appears from your last sentence you aren't happy even 24 hours after a game like that. Why even be a fan of a team if that's the case ? I wouldn't. I enjoyed that game and I am very happy with the results. I have no problem giving Gus and the players credit for an outstanding performance. That's why these guys play the game and work so hard in the first place. 

Anybody who predicted a loss or tight game in the prediction thread can’t come in here pissing on this win as being overmatched and saying it should have been expected. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Anybody who predicted a loss or tight game in the prediction thread can’t come in here pissing on this win as being overmatched and saying it should have been expected. 

😃   You really think they will actually give the team or coach credit?   No matter what happens, some people can always find a way to "damn with faint praise" or divert the commentary to some previous game or season to air a gripe.

Thanks for your comment....

6 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Yes, I'm aware of all that and more. But, you also need to enjoy it when good things happen too. It appears from your last sentence you aren't happy even 24 hours after a game like that. Why even be a fan of a team if that's the case ? I wouldn't. I enjoyed that game and I am very happy with the results. I have no problem giving Gus and the players credit for an outstanding performance. That's why these guys play the game and work so hard in the first place. 

I'm very happy we won the bowl game.   Despite having no championship implications and others saying they don't mean anything, I think it's important to follow through play to win the bowls and have said as much multiple times in multiple threads.  It's the making a big deal out of setting the first-half scoring record versus an inferior team that I was addressing in that post.  

Archived