Good for gus

musicitytiger

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Unless JB himself is lying, JB had no zero none input on who to recruit at OL. 

Could this change with a big hire on the OL? Because I'm guessing that the reason he doesn't is because of his lack of recruiting ability?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Unless JB himself is lying, JB had no zero none input on who to recruit at OL. 

Oh I believe it, but you have to agree that it's absolutely absurd for a HC to strip his position coach of their input in recruiting their position.

21 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t have a clue? OK, since you insist, here it goes:

Almost every piece of “inside information” you’ve given us, (to include me over PM) has proven to not be true. I could go on, but that’s a mouthful that speaks for itself.

No one is discussing putting Gus in for coach of the year. Also, we had no business losing to teams like Tennessee and Central Florida. With that said if anyone, I mean anyone, believes it was Chip calling the plays versus Alabama and Georgia, then Gus insisted on taking over the playcalling for the SEC championship game and lost the game...if anyone believes that, there’s no point in expecting any type of intelligent conversation.

Jesus 

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Could this change with a big hire on the OL? Because I'm guessing that the reason he doesn't is because of his lack of recruiting ability?

I imagine this is the case, because he can’t recruit at a high level.

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gus didn’t listen to Hand either. Now? Let’s hope. The way it’s going now isn’t working. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus didn’t listen to Hand either. Now? Let’s hope. The way it’s going now isn’t working. 

I've realized that we could have an all-senior OL next year. Which means that 2020...ugh. And this is why I think there's a chance for Gus to pull a "JUST good enough" year next year, and why that would be so damaging for our program.

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I've realized that we could have an all-senior OL next year. Which means that 2020...ugh. And this is why I think there's a chance for Gus to pull a "JUST good enough" year next year, and why that would be so damaging for our program.

2020 OL does not look very promising at all. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why I'm hoping we have a new regime by then. Would we be able to attract a decent coaching candidate by then? I'm thinking of Tennessee after Kiffin screwed them and how bad their roster was and has been. The longer Gustav stays, the longer the bleeding on the O-line is.

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

OK please help someone who admittedly knows not much, if anything, about OL recruits and OL play...exactly which OL recruits/players should we not have recruited that we did and which OL recruits should we have tried to recruit that we did not? Most of the guys on the line were somewhat if not highly recruited by other P5 teams except for Tega who was a D-line guy I think. I see guys like Ashley who were 5 star guys that have not panned out so far.  That's not really on Gus but on JB. Should we not have recruited him? While we may have missed on some of the recruits we did push for like Putnam, Webb, etc but we didn't get can we blame Gus for that? He did push for those guys right? So exactly where is his OL recruiting picks so off? What recruits should he have gone after that we didn't but that JB would've wanted? Just trying to figure out how I should be blaming Gus for the bad O-line performance and/or recruiting. I know this post probably belongs in the recruiting page but the conversation headed this way here so...

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

Remember when Leftie said: “the talent just isn’t their“

Then the following season, Gus had us in the national championship game with a defensive back playing QB named Nick Marshall?

This is embarrassing;  When Leftie left Nick Marshall wan’t on the team, so Gus had to bring in the talent.   Oh and it’s “there” not “their”.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

In fairness to the masses, it is so absurd that it almost defies comprehension. I still have a hard time believing it - even though I know it comes from reliable sources. 

(In other words, even though I know it's probably true, I still have to pinch myself)

Gus has become a 3 letter word for "can defy all reason logic at times".

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Could this change with a big hire on the OL?

Unless Gus changes, no. Hand was a splash recruiting hire remember & didn't get to have any input.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Because I'm guessing that the reason he doesn't is because of his lack of recruiting ability?

Unlikely given the Hand statements above.

53 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That sucks. I thought Keith said 2020 has a strong crop of OL recruits.

52 minutes ago, AuJoe said:

OK please help someone who admittedly knows not much, if anything, about OL recruits and OL play...exactly which OL recruits/players should we not have recruited that we did and which OL recruits should we have tried to recruit that we did not? Most of the guys on the line were somewhat if not highly recruited by other P5 teams except for Tega who was a D-line guy I think. I see guys like Ashley who were 5 star guys that have not panned out so far.  That's not really on Gus but on JB. Should we not have recruited him? While we may have missed on some of the recruits we did push for like Putnam, Webb, etc but we didn't get can we blame Gus for that? He did push for those guys right? So exactly where is his OL recruiting picks so off? What recruits should he have gone after that we didn't but that JB would've wanted? Just trying to figure out how I should be blaming Gus for the bad O-line performance and/or recruiting. I know this post probably belongs in the recruiting page but the conversation headed this way here so...

Go read the last 2 or 3 pages of the 2019 O Line Recruiting thread @AuJoe. Most, if not all, your questions have been addressed ad nausseam in there.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That sucks. I thought Keith said 2020 has a strong crop of OL recruits.

May be wrong here E, but I think WDE was referring to the 2020 AU OLine, not the recruits.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Been trying to tell people this in the recruiting forum but some refuse to believe it. I guess I need to put "per WDE" on info they don't want to hear so it has validity.

You say that as if “Per WDE” would actually bring validity. 

Way to wreck tbe “good for Gus” thread guys and gals. 

On 12/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, AU-24 said:

It matters that he took over the O and performed extremely well! It matters that he broke a record scoring more points in the first half of a bowl ball game than any team in the entire history of the NCAA. It matters that we were 3 1/2 point favorites and beat them by more than half a century. It matters Gus beat Alabama and Georgia last year. It matters he’s won one SEC championship and played for another. It matters he signed the number one dual threat quarterback in the country, and a good recruiting class that has a chance to finish in the top five.

Auburn is 2-4 against LSU; 2-5 against Georgia; and 2-4 against Alabama under his leadership (6-13)...(oh, and .500 against Miss St....Miss St for crying out loud)...that's what matters.  Oh, yeah, 2-4 in bowl games...He has replaced his O-coordinator 3 times in 6 years....his choices.  The recruiting story has been good the whole time; Auburn's name attracts great talent...he fails to develop players and simply pick kids that aren't around 2 years later.   This win matters like beating Liberty matters....he's a world beater against bad teams from bad conferences.  

On 12/28/2018 at 2:32 PM, doverstutts said:

its a shame that he has to be threatened pushed and shoved to earn his 7 million.....be careful with your expectations for next year....this is the same coach that lost to tennessee

Also the same coach who beat Washington, who's ranked #9 nationally.

5 hours ago, japantiger said:

Auburn is 2-4 against LSU; 2-5 against Georgia; and 2-4 against Alabama under his leadership (6-13)...(oh, and .500 against Miss St....Miss St for crying out loud)...that's what matters.  Oh, yeah, 2-4 in bowl games...He has replaced his O-coordinator 3 times in 6 years....his choices.  The recruiting story has been good the whole time; Auburn's name attracts great talent...he fails to develop players and simply pick kids that aren't around 2 years later.   This win matters like beating Liberty matters....he's a world beater against bad teams from bad conferences.  

We are out-recruited by the turds; LSU and Thuga every year. Unfortunately there’s only so many Dabos out there. If there is one available, I would be very much in favor of the hire.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Also the same coach who beat Washington, who's ranked #9 nationally.

But also the same coach that turned around and lost to Tennessee.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

But also the same coach that turned around and lost to Tennessee.

Yes, that was established in the comment I quoted to begin with. I understand we lost to Tennessee, but the other side of it is we beat Washington. I'm sorry that you hate Malzahn so much that you refuse to see any good in the season, but it WAS there.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:21 PM, around4ever said:

Agreed!  He is actually coaching on the sidelines, too.  He hasn't done that all season.  Why?  

He was meddling with his own coaching. :poke:

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I understand we lost to Tennessee, but the other side of it is we beat Washington. 

There's a flip side you're not seeing.  Yes, we beat Washington, but the other side of that is we lost to Tennessee....

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

There's a flip side you're not seeing.  Yes, we beat Washington, but the other side of that is we lost to Tennessee....

giphy.gif

To add to the statement above; and it was later in the season we lost to UT when we should have been improving, not regressing.  The bowl win was a pleasant surprise, but doesn’t erase how the season played out.  On to 2019 and more optimism. 

Archived