Good for gus

musicitytiger

Just now, AURealist said:

versus an inferior team t

That's the point.....AU was a 3 point favorite and even on this board people were predicting an AU loss.....so when did Purdue become an inferior team?  

AU and Gus felt they had something to prove and who knows what Purdue was thinking but all indications were that they and their fans were excited to be in the game.  

As noted by several people....AU hit them in the mouth...and then did it again and again still....and Purdue was a first round TKO.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

so when did Purdue become an inferior team?  

When Auburn scored a bowl record 56 pts in the first half.  Purdue then became very inferior. :beer2:

25 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I'm very happy we won the bowl game.   Despite having no championship implications and others saying they don't mean anything, I think it's important to follow through play to win the bowls and have said as much multiple times in multiple threads.  It's the making a big deal out of setting the first-half scoring record versus an inferior team that I was addressing in that post.  

It's not a "big deal", the post said it was what the announcers were saying. Who knew ? The impressive part was the way they played on the field. 

better enjoy it....look at next years schedule and what teams have coming back....i will be very surprised if at this time next year we are not knee deep in a coaching search.....Moo st. loses a lot so that might be the difference in 5-7 and 6-6

7 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

It's not a "big deal", the post said it was what the announcers were saying. Who knew ? The impressive part was the way they played on the field. 

Totally agree the Tigers looked great and played as a team for the whole 60 minutes.  It's exactly what a well-coached team with heart does for every game, even when they're losing big.   I hope we keep that attitude through to next season and get a rolling start vs Oregon.  

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

When Auburn scored a bowl record 56 pts in the first half.  Purdue then became very inferior. :beer2:

The Boilermakers have to be taking a hard look at themselves today realizing just what it takes to play in our league.  I bet, along with Michigan, they're surprised at the level of play in the SEC.

I have to hand it to Gus.  His team never quit on him despite some of the dumbest losses I have ever seen.  It was very obvious yesterday that the execution was the best it has been since the win over Bammer last year.  The O line made huge improvement as the year went on which sets up good for next year.  The offense obviously did a lot of work during the bowl practices.  They looked like a different team while the defense turned it in their usual solid performance.  

34 minutes ago, AURealist said:

The Boilermakers have to be taking a hard look at themselves today realizing just what it takes to play in our league.  I bet, along with Michigan, they're surprised at the level of play in the SEC.

Purdue will want to think about their offense.....which was pretty good all season and yet could never get going against AU.      Michigan had several key players sitting out the game to protect their NFL careers which might have made a difference. :dunno:    

SEC is hard to read....South Carolina got manhandled by Virginia....not an elite ACC team and Vandy lost.   Will be interesting to see how things go for the more highly rated SEC teams but I'm not calling the conference a dynasty just yet.   

This is why there are never too many bowl games...:)

11 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

About what? That Gus didn’t let him do his job correctly? Gus should be the one embarrassed. Pissed away a lot of talent this year. Like he did last year. Nothing that happened this year is on Chip. 

Where I would disagree,  Chip obviously wasn’t doing his job correctly.

Again, if I was Chip Lindsey, I’d be really embarrassed right now.

23 hours ago, alexava said:

I will disagree.. I’m a Gus fan. Maybe the last. But Gus can’t keep his system and oversee another coach to run it. It’s unique. He must run it himself or let somebody else have it. I like the former.

More than once it looked to me like Chip was in over his head. Again, I blame Gus for that, as Gus hired him. I’ll stand by what I said: if I’m Chip Lindsay right now, I’m pretty embarrassed.

Remember when Leftie said: “the talent just isn’t their“

Then the following season, Gus had us in the national championship game with a defensive back playing QB named Nick Marshall?

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

More than once it looked to me like Chip was in over his head. Again, I blame Gus for that, as Gus hired him. I’ll stand by what I said: if I’m Chip Lindsay right now, I’m pretty embarrassed.

Remember when Leftie said: “the talent just iwn’t their“

Then the following season Gus had us in the national championship game with a defensive back playing QB named Nick Marshall?

I might agree after I’ve seen what chip can do on his own. Plus 2017 was pretty darn good whoever was running it..

Execution cost us the UT, LSU, & MSU games that with proper execution, we should have won. UGA & turds could have been closer with better execution. Gus, do not forget how to make your team execute.

4 hours ago, doverstutts said:

better enjoy it....look at next years schedule and what teams have coming back....i will be very surprised if at this time next year we are not knee deep in a coaching search.....Moo st. loses a lot so that might be the difference in 5-7 and 6-6

Downvote me for this if y'all want, but this would probably be the best overall outcome. The longer we hold on to Gus the worse the OL becomes.

36 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Where I would disagree,  Chip obviously wasn’t doing his job correctly.

Again, if I was Chip Lindsey, I’d be really embarrassed right now.

Chip was obviously not allowed to do his job correctly. How can or should Chip be embarrassed? He did what he could. It’s over now. So why even be a douche and post this anyways? 

33 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Remember when Leftie said: “the talent just isn’t their“

Then the following season, Gus had us in the national championship game with a defensive back playing QB named Nick Marshall?

You don’t have a clue. Not one. 

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Exactly.

The worst possible thing that could happen next year is to go 8-4. Not good enough to attract O-line recruits with JB Grimes/Tim Horton (though honestly, after the way we "developed" Ashley, I'm not even sure if that would make a difference in this administration), but it's not bad enough to where the outside narrative won't be "Auburn is crazy for firing Gus!" (remember how bad our image was when Tubs resigned, despite it really being time to move on? Picture that x10). And the longer Gus stays past then, the more depleted our talent gradually becomes, to the point where Gus in his "do or die" mode (November 2017, yesterday) won't be enough. And by that point, our roster--at least at the O-line--would be so bad that Rhett Lashlee would be the best we could get.

I always like hearing your thoughts.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Exactly.

The worst possible thing that could happen next year is to go 8-4. Not good enough to attract O-line recruits with JB Grimes/Tim Horton (though honestly, after the way we "developed" Ashley, I'm not even sure if that would make a difference in this administration), but it's not bad enough to where the outside narrative won't be "Auburn is crazy for firing Gus!" (remember how bad our image was when Tubs resigned, despite it really being time to move on? That x10). And the longer Gus stays past then, the more depleted our talent g

I’m pretty sure JB is gone here in the very near future. Don’t matter. Gus and Horton pick who to recruit on the OL. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I’m pretty sure JB is gone here in the very near future. Don’t matter. Gus and Horton pick who to recruit on the OL. 

I mean, MAYBE the fact that JB is our OL coach is a factor as to why Gus and Tim do the recruiting? If we were to make a big splash OL hire (this is ENTIRELY hypothetical, by the way), maybe that COULD change?

10 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don’t have a clue? OK, since you insist, here it goes:

Almost every piece of “inside information” you’ve given us, (to include me over PM) has proven to not be true. I could go on, but that’s a mouthful that speaks for itself.

No one is discussing putting Gus in for coach of the year. Also, we had no business losing to teams like Tennessee and Central Florida. With that said if anyone, I mean anyone, believes it was Chip calling the plays versus Alabama and Georgia, then Gus insisted on taking over the playcalling for the SEC championship game and lost the game...if anyone believes that, there’s no point in expecting any type of intelligent conversation.

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus and Horton pick who to recruit on the OL. 

Been trying to tell people this in the recruiting forum but some refuse to believe it. I guess I need to put "per WDE" on info they don't want to hear so it has validity.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Been trying to tell people this in the recruiting forum but some refuse to believe it. I guess I need to put "per WDE" on info they don't want to hear so it has validity.

None of my info is true so I’m not sure that helps your cause. 

5 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I don’t have a clue? OK, since you insist, here it goes:

Almost every piece of “inside information” you’ve given us, (to include me over PM) has proven to not be true. I could go on, but that’s a mouthful that speaks for itself.

No one is discussing putting Gus in for coach of the year. Also, we had no business losing to teams like Tennessee and Central Florida. With that said if anyone, I mean anyone, believes it was Chip calling the plays versus Alabama and Georgia, then Gus insisted on taking over the playcalling for the SEC championship game and lost the game...if anyone believes that, there’s no point in expecting any type of intelligent conversation.

Gus did the same thing during the SECCG that he did this year, filtered and approved most of the plays from Chip. Per one of the current AU coaches on the staff right now. 

Its all moot now. Gus is doing what he should have been doing all along. Calling his own plays. Worked yesterday. Hope the trend continues. Maybe just maybe Gus will actually listen to more than one or two people on his staff now. Something he has not gone in a year or so. 

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In fairness to the masses, it is so absurd that it almost defies comprehension. I still have a hard time believing it - even though I know it comes from reliable sources. 

(In other words, even though I know it's probably true, I still have to pinch myself)

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In fairness to the masses, it is so absurd that it almost defies comprehension. I still have a hard time believing it - even though I know it comes from reliable sources. 

(In other words, even though I know it's probably true, I still have to pinch myself)

Unless JB himself is lying, JB had no zero none input on who to recruit at OL. 

Archived