Great End To Frustrating Season

autigeremt

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

agree....think willis has maxed out …….just does  not make good decisions with the ball.   As noted, Gatewood sample was small and that was fine....just glad he got in the game a bit.    By the time he was there,  Purdue was whipped and no point,  IMO , to do anything but run the ball and the clock.  

JG will get much more meaningful experience against AU's defense this spring and summer   There were vague comments during the season about a hand injury which maybe is no longer an issue?   

I am forced to agree on Willis.  I had such high hopes that he would remind us of Marshall but he really does make a lot of questionable decisions and, of course, we still don't know if he can pass since he's never allowed to.  He could add to RB or WR depth perhaps?

Gatewood, though also limited in this game, was MUCH more assertive IMO and looked more sure of himself & his decision making.  That long (robbed TD) run was SO reminiscent of Cam, it was spooky.

I'm looking forward to Nix in the future but going into '19 I'm 100% "Team Gatewood".

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUsince72 said:

I am forced to agree on Willis.  I had such high hopes that he would remind us of Marshall but he really does make a lot of questionable decisions and, of course, we still don't know if he can pass since he's never allowed to.  He could add to RB or WR depth perhaps?

Gatewood, though also limited in this game, was MUCH more assertive IMO and looked more sure of himself & his decision making.  That long (robbed TD) run was SO reminiscent of Cam, it was spooky.

I'm looking forward to Nix in the future but going into '19 I'm 100% "Team Gatewood".

Robbed is correct. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Well after stepping on their throats in the first half, going for it on 4th down a few times when you are in FG range, and scoring 56 points - he had to dial it back. I want the other players, especially Gatewood, to get reps with the real offense too... but there is a point where it can come back to bite you.  You want to beat a team soundly. You don't want to humiliate them (unless they are uga or uat). If he continued to run the HUNH and had them slinging it down the field when up by 7 TDs in the 4th, it would not go over well in the coaching circles. 

Who are the best coaches? All would be classified as a$$holes. Not good and really nice people like Gus is. Gus is a great guy but that has no place in a highly competitive environment for the most part. Big boy college football where being nice does gets you anywhere. I mean at least let the boys score and reward the walk on RB or the true frosh QB when you are at the 1. 

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If he continued to run the HUNH and had them slinging it down the field when up by 7 TDs in the 4th, it would not go over well in the coaching circles. 

With all due respect, this is wrong. I’ve seen too many games where the backups are playing within the offense and the coaches get praised for their players getting real experience. Now if Stidham was slinging it in tbe 4th, that’s a different story!

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Robbed is correct. 

"Angry Face" only because I agree with you...

Very happy we came out and executed. The offensive line looked so much better today. We looked like a well prepared team. Not going to rehash the pathetic season just going to be happy we won and won big. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

There is no QB on the roster who is close to the athlete Nick Marshall was. He was a absolutely elite athlete. Willis just does not look all that fast or athletic out there. He looks so clumsy running the ball too and Who the hell knows what he is like as a passer. 

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

we still don't know if he can pass since he's never allowed to.  He could add to RB or WR depth perhaps?

JMO but the fact that we have not seen him throw it means that he has not demonstrated to the coaches that he can be counted on for a passing play. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nah. You going too far now.

Just do not see Malik Willis as a Sec Player in any capacity. 

3 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Great win. Makes one wonder where this offense was all year....

🤔

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the fact that we have not seen him throw it means that he has not demonstrated to the coaches that he can be counted on for a passing play. :dunno:

No way I can disagree.

3rd quarter would have been a perfect opportunity to run the Full Offense, including the Passing Game, and clearly he wasn't trusted to do it.  

I hate it but agree with my brother @GwillMac6 that Gatewood made Willis look like a clumsy toddler.  Not saying Willis doesn't have a place on this team but I believe his QB days at AU are over.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Then we shouldn't here about Gus talking about Willis being a starter and he shouldn't be splitting reps until the fall with a guy who can't throw. It's amazing to me how we can constantly offer scholarships to QB's that can't throw a forward pass

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The same could be said with Gatewood. Gatewood did throw that screen pass attempt and was not accurate, so I guess we will have to wait for A-day to make our evals.

It’ll be fun to speculate until then.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

With all due respect, this is wrong. I’ve seen too many games where the backups are playing within the offense and the coaches get praised for their players getting real experience. Now if Stidham was slinging it in tbe 4th, that’s a different story!

Really....who gives a crap what the coaching circles care about. This is about the kids..and their futures. They absolutely need REAL game experience,  not handoffs in an attempt to run out the clock.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Then we shouldn't here about Gus talking about Willis being a starter and he shouldn't be splitting reps until the fall with a guy who can't throw. It's amazing to me how we can constantly offer scholarships to QB's that can't throw a forward pass

And it baffles me that practice reps are the same as game reps to some, especially when up by 5+ tds, know what you have 

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

The same could be said with Gatewood. Gatewood did throw that screen pass attempt and was not accurate, so I guess we will have to wait for A-day to make our evals.

It’ll be fun to speculate until then.

A- Day is when the offense always looks totally different the most each year from what we see on Saturdays in the fall. Remember A day Stidhams first year? NCM looked like a freaking stud and had a bunch of yards.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A- Day is when the offense always looks totally different the most each year from what we see on Saturdays in the fall. Remember A day Stidhams first year? NCM looked like a freaking stud and had a bunch of yards.

Heck Myron burton was an mvp 

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

hate it but agree with my brother @GwillMac6 that Gatewood made Willis look like a clumsy toddler.  Not saying Willis doesn't have a place on this team but I believe his QB days at AU are over.

Willis is an athlete but Gatewood is going to stand out more when given the chance to use his abilities. I do see Willis changing positions if he doesn’t win the job though. Not necessarily transferring. 

As President of Team Gatewood, I must say let’s go!!!!!

source.gif

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Really....who gives a crap what the coaching circles care about. This is about the kids..and their futures. They absolutely need REAL game experience,  not handoffs in an attempt to run out the clock.

I don’t know. I was just replying to his quote..

I pray our next QB is so bad at throwing screens that we will actually have to have a real offense and we can't rely on them

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Heck Myron burton was an mvp 

THE MODEL! lol

Archived