Great End To Frustrating Season

autigeremt

My opinion, you have something to prove, do it, run your best offense for 60 mins. Teams that are playing for championships are the ones that take knees against outmatched opponents.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

A- Day is when the offense always looks totally different the most each year from what we see on Saturdays in the fall. Remember A day Stidhams first year? NCM looked like a freaking stud and had a bunch of yards.

And Cam looked less than the stud he was, but it’s the next time we, as fans, will be able to see the QBs in action.  Everything up until then will be insider information.  I, personally, like the eye-ball test.

Of course, then we go dark until the fall videos of QBs handing off to RBs and running around with a football tied to a rubber band trying not to fumble.  No wonder we can’t eval the QBs until the first game or so.

My thing is you're breaking in a brand new QB against the best college qb next year. Any live game experience will help to ease into that atmosphere now the only live game reading an actual defense is going to come on that game day when you could've been easing guys into that role like EVERY good team right now does unless it's a true freshman and still they ease a guy into the role as the year go on. Instead we are going to throw some poor soul out there to the wolves and if we lose the same sensitive people who are so oh no there's no reason to run your offense they can do it freaking A day are the first people running up making an excuse about it being the first game what did you expect? Watch

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

And Cam looked less than the stud he was, but it’s the next time we, as fans, will be able to see the QBs in action.  Everything up until then will be insider information.  I, personally, like the eye-ball test.

Of course, then we go dark until the fall videos of QBs handing off to RBs and running around with a football tied to a rubber band trying not to fumble.  No wonder we can’t eval the QBs until the first game or so.

Right. As cam got game reps he became better....

It WAS a great way to end a frustrating season.  Maybe some of the recruits that are on the fence will come over to our side.  We played a lot of young guys on defense and held Purdue to 14 points.  Gus needs to sit Willis down after the first few days  of spring practice and tell him if he wants to stay at Auburn, he needs to move to DB.  Give him the chance to move and if he doesn't want to, encourage him to move on.  Now let's cheer the men's basketball team to the Final Four.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

My thing is you're breaking in a brand new QB against the best college qb next year. Any live game experience will help to ease into that atmosphere now the only live game reading an actual defense is going to come on that game day when you could've been easing guys into that role like EVERY good team right now does unless it's a true freshman and still they ease a guy into the role as the year go on. Instead we are going to throw some poor soul out there to the wolves and if we lose the same sensitive people who are so oh no there's no reason to run your offense they can do it freaking A day are the first people running up making an excuse about it being the first game what did you expect? Watch

You and I have emphasized many times: game reps> practice/scrimmage reps

Granted it was Purdue but man this team just looked completely different. Makes you wonder about the whole dynamics between Gus and Chip. With that being said, I have to enjoy the moment but still keep my guard up unfortunately lol

Also how many of you know what a QB actually look for to make a read? It's more than a d end.....if you running a run/pass read but there's no threat to pass the play may not have worked because of multiple reasons.....mainly because there isn't any pass threat and linebackers are crashing and not worried about coverage.....safeties as well....I'm just saying I wouldn't be moving anybody from their position from those plays not working. You can't judge an hb when the defense doesn't have to worry about a paas threat....you can't judge a QB who didn't run you into first downs on third and longs.....wouldn't even expect stidham to attempt that

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Also how many of you know what a QB actually look for to make a read? It's more than a d end.....if you running a run/pass read but there's no threat to pass the play may not have worked because of multiple reasons.....mainly because there isn't any pass threat and linebackers are crashing and not worried about coverage.....safeties as well....I'm just saying I wouldn't be moving anybody from their position from those plays not working. You can't judge an hb when the defense doesn't have to worry about a paas threat....you can't judge a QB who didn't run you into first downs on third and longs.....wouldn't even expect stidham to attempt that

Well, I do know this, the defensive end crashed hard on that first drive with Willis and our 5’7 bowling ball. That was as easy as it gets in terms of reading. Otherwise, we played very limited. Don’t worry MW will get his fair shot. He will come into spring the #1 QB just based off of experience. I just think JG has more upside in making plays with his feet, which will need to be a priority unless one of them prove to be very good passing this offseason.

I actually wouldn’t evaluate Willis or Gatewood today based off the plays. Neither were allowed to run the entire offense. However, it did look like Gatewood was more athletic and had a better grasp of the limited plays they were running. The race for QB will be very interesting. 

51 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m seeing a lot of Team Gatewood posts.

Glad to see everyone catching on now. 

He did miss his only throw which was an easy one.  He can run people over?  

People need to temper expectations

8 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

He did miss his only throw which was an easy one.  He can run people over?  

People need to temper expectations

I haven’t tempered them since he was a HS soph. Not going to start now lol.

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, I do know this, the defensive end crashed hard on that first drive with Willis and our 5’7 bowling ball. That was as easy as it gets in terms of reading. Otherwise, we played very limited. Don’t worry MW will get his fair shot. He will come into spring the #1 QB just based off of experience. I just think JG has more upside in making plays with his feet, which will need to be a priority unless one of them prove to be very good passing this offseason.

You look at the d end out of your peripheral but you eye the linebacker or safety that's what he was keying on. They messed up by taking too long but on one play the d end could've made the play on both of them. I think jg is great myself but I'm saying no other QB is going to expected to make this hard play and if you are moved from your position you should be given an opportunity to throw if you're a QB. Stidham left a bunch of plays on the field where he should've kept it and he's going to the NFL

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

It's incredibly frustrating to have a game put away at the half and not use the 2nd half to get a potential starter (QB in particular) ready for the next season by letting them execute the entire offense.  This constantly handing the ball off does absolutely nothing to prepare those players for the future.  Run the frickin' offense that you ran in the 1st half regardless of who is taking the snaps.  Frustrating as hell.

I agree 100% and is my only gripe for the game. Not only does running the full offense give those guys real game experience, but it’s a whole lot more FUN for THEM. They’ve been busting their butts all season long, so for goodness sakes reward them by letting them run the full offense and maybe they get to experience the excitement of scoring a touchdown in a bowl game.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You look at the d end out of your peripheral but you eye the linebacker or safety that's what he was keying on. They messed up by taking too long but on one play the d end could've made the play on both of them. I think jg is great myself but I'm saying no other QB is going to expected to make this hard play and if you are moved from your position you should be given an opportunity to throw if you're a QB. Stidham left a bunch of plays on the field where he should've kept it and he's going to the NFL

Stidham left a bunch of plays on the field???

15 of 21 for 373 yards, 5 TD’s, 0 pics, in less than 3 Quarters. Record breaking quarterback rating. I wonder what his stats would’ve looked like if he didn’t leave these plays on the field?

Jarrett Stidham's efficiency rating of 299.2 was the highest rating by an Auburn quarterback with at least 20 pass attempts. 

2 minutes ago, WarNole said:

Wow, what a game! I did not expect that!

Maybe Malzahn should have been calling plays all along.
Starting to feel a little better about next year.
:wareagle:

A point worth discussing....some of us have felt that way for quite a while..... others were wanting Chip to have more control.   Not sure what was going on with the two of them but I am happier with Gus calling the plays....and being fully responsible for what the offense looks like during a game.   And if he decides that 63 points is enough :dunno:  I'm OK with that....:) 

59 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Stidham left a bunch of plays on the field???

15 of 21 for 373 yards, 5 TD’s, 0 pics, in less than 3 Quarters. Record breaking quarterback rating. I wonder what his stats would’ve looked like if he didn’t leave these plays on the field?

Jarrett Stidham's efficiency rating of 299.2 was the highest rating by an Auburn quarterback with at least 20 pass attempts. 

I'm talking about his career obviously....did he even run a read option this game? Don't start please

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm talking about his career obviously....did he even run a read option this game? Don't start please

Don’t start what? He also was named game MVP!

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I didn't have a problem with that at all, but what about the entire 3rd quarter and even early in the 4th.  Plenty of opportunity to let a backup qb run the entire offense.   We actually tried NOT to score.  Late in the 4th and at the end, I get that, but midway through the 3rd just doesn't make any sense

Score was out of hand already. Plus that game started getting chippy. Last thing needed is suspensions going into game 1 of next season on potential starters of retaliation or fighting.

Archived