Great End To Frustrating Season

autigeremt

Just now, AU-24 said:

Don’t start what? He also was named game MVP!

The fact that you read where I said obviously I wasn't talking about this game but his career and you decided to reply he was the game MVP.......😂 ok. It's done you thought one thing it was another....no harm done

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I pray our next QB is so bad at throwing screens that we will actually have to have a real offense and we can't rely on them

The Eagles won a Super Bowl relying on screens last year. 

Its Gus’s team. He will live or die by the decisions he makes. I thought we should have given Gatewood and Willis more passing opportunities but it’s on Gus so here we go. 2019

33 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

The Eagles won a Super Bowl relying on screens last year. 

Its Gus’s team. He will live or die by the decisions he makes. I thought we should have given Gatewood and Willis more passing opportunities but it’s on Gus so here we go. 2019

I disagree with the Eagles, I think they used their tight end and a strong intermediate game.....yes I know Gus is the coach of the team and it's on him

I left about 2 series into the Williscat in the 3rd quarter. That was painful to watch (play calling and execution). Didn’t get to see Gatewood but my God he can’t be worse than Willis. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t know. I was just replying to his quote..

I was agreeing with you. Wde

33 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

The team basically scored 70 points and grown men in here are still complaining.

And the guy who was very publicly called out, and then unequivocally said "it's on me now", owned the s*** out of it today.  Apparently all he could do in one game isn't enough for today....

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

And the guy who was very publicly called out, and then unequivocally said "it's on me now", owned the s*** out of it today.  Apparently all he could do in one game isn't enough for today....

One thing no one can say is Gus isn’t a class act.  He took the blame for the bad season and he gave the players the credit for the win today.  He could of kept his foot on the gas and scored 80 but that wasn’t the right thing to do.  He let his actions do the talking instead of his mouth and I respect that about a leader.  

My thoughts on the game. First Purdue would have been lucky to win 5 games on our schedule but they also had some decent players. That said The players played with more fire than I’ve seen this year. They executed well. Even the OL. Gus didn’t sit back when he got a three TD lead like he normally does. Even with a commanding lead they played hard well into the 4th before going slow down. My major question is why now and not all year. Yes there were some injuries like every team has that is no excuse. I liked what I saw but it has to be what Gus does 24/7/365 from now on. He also opened it up. You saw today how you counter when they try to stop the run. First half we had 62 yds rushing and 340+ yds passing. Defense played well, it helps when your offense is stacking up points. Played Starters longer than we should have. Experience is as good a building block as you get. I agree with others, you should never put in a QB in that you don’t trust to run the whole offense and then let them run it. I disagree with anyone saying Willis or Joey was bad based on them running the offense with their hands tied by the coach. I think both got to attempt 1 pass each. Very few QBs come in hot. It usually takes a couple of passes to get the feel. Using all the offense makes each part work better. As I’ve said all year we have the talent to win championships we just need the coaching. Gus did that today. Looked and sounded like he was beginning to see his faults. Gave credit to the players rather than patting himself on the back. I also saw changes with Stidham. Dilly seems to be making progress. Jason hit his wide open guys today other than his first throw. The big improvement I saw with him was his handoffs were much smoother and quicker. He has been obvious and slow in his handoffs but that changed today. I saw Dilly in a practice video coaching all the QBs in the process. All I can say is maybe Gus has found his comfort zone. If he continues what he did today he might make it. For Auburn sake I hope so.

15 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Dilly seems to be making progress. Jason hit his wide open guys today other than his first throw. The big improvement I saw with him was his handoffs were much smoother and quicker. He has been obvious and slow in his handoffs but that changed today. I saw Dilly in a practice video coaching all the QBs in the process. All I can say is maybe Gus has found his comfort zone. If he continues what he did today he might make it. For Auburn sake I hope so.

Not sure if it was Dilly or who but JS "looked" better than he has all year in the pocket.  Did not bail out from the rush,  found his receivers and made a play or two out of nothing.  And on his TD run, he put his shoulder down and drove across the goal line rather than slide or dodge out of bounds.    Deserved the MVP for the game.   

As for substitutions...looked to me that Purdue never really surrendered on the field...at least the coaches who kept starters in on defense almost the entire game. MW and JG moved the team pretty well even without passing...had chances for some big plays if with some better decision making...and maybe with the help of a challenge / replay at the end of the game if anyone from AU had wanted to do that.   Personally I'm glad we let is slide and took the knee. ...

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure if it was Dilly or who but JS "looked" better than he has all year in the pocket.  Did not bail out from the rush,  found his receivers and made a play or two out of nothing.  And on his TD run, he put his shoulder down and drove across the goal line rather than slide or dodge out of bounds.    Deserved the MVP for the game.   

As for substitutions...looked to me that Purdue never really surrendered on the field...at least the coaches who kept starters in on defense almost the entire game. MW and JG moved the team pretty well even without passing...had chances for some big plays if with some better decision making...and maybe with the help of a challenge / replay at the end of the game if anyone from AU had wanted to do that.   Personally I'm glad we let is slide and took the knee. ...

I agree. It was obvious Joey scored I think the refs just didn’t want to let AU score again. But your right the AU family knows we could have hung another 21 on them easily but Gus showed some class. I also agree JS showed better pocket presence but again he improved the running game simply by making better handoffs and fakes. Much improved. As I’ve said before you don’t continue to recruit top 10 classes every year and not have the talent to win and we definitely have the talent to win. The team played hard for Gus yesterday. He needs to be able to get that each and every ballgame, practice and meeting. That’s what you he coaches main job is. Gus can win but he has to do what he did yesterday and swallow his pride and put his hand down in the dirt and get after it. I’ll be watching spring to see if the attitude I saw yesterday continues.

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

This should help with recruiting I would think. The O was impressive. The D played great. Of course Purdue is not that good... but neither were we during the season. 

I hope it does help w recruiting. We may have to replace three D lineman and of course we need to sign a potential game breaking tailback. Wish I could have seen Gatewood more, but he is very athletic. Think Willis is better suited for a smaller school. Great win and the fact that Purdue beat OSU by 29 is no fluke. Beating them by 3 or 10 maybe, but not that decisive. 

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

I disagree with the Eagles, I think they used their tight end and a strong intermediate game.....yes I know Gus is the coach of the team and it's on him

They used the screen game a ton. More than any other NFC team and second only to New England......but I digress. 

2 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

They used the screen game a ton. More than any other NFC team and second only to New England......but I digress. 

Didn't say they didn't use it but I don't think they relied on it, just like New England didn't. Just like the Eagles they used their intermediate passing game more than anything. I doubt anybody is going to rely on it. But I digress we're talking about the Auburn tigers and we weren't effective no where near those teams.....

6 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Philly had a nice RPO offense. Definitely wasn’t all screens. Like Cole said, Foles hit all the intermediate throws well.

Beyond all that talk it feels better a day after a big win on bowl weekend 2018. 

WDE

On 12/28/2018 at 4:57 PM, DAG said:

Team Gatewood 

I am going to predict that Gatewood will come in this spring and win the starting job and will be scary good kind of a bit like Cam. Since I have been doing a decent job predicting things, why not predict Gatewood to have a great future at Auburn!

20 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Any possibility Auburn ends up in top 25?

possibly...

I think maybe going 1s vs 1s during bowl prep was a big help in getting ready for this game.  I hope they do more of that during season.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, BJCrawford said:

Any possibility Auburn ends up in top 25?

Yes I think its possible. As long as voters don't vote for silly MWC/AAC teams with 9 wins who lose to power 5 teams in their bowl games.

Archived