Gatewood in only

au701948

It is not fair to Willis or Gatewood, given the time they have had on the field and actual plays they were allowed to run, to say one is better than the other. To my untrained eye, Gatewood looked the part and Willis not as polished but who knows what Willis can do he hasn’t been allowed to show it. I say bring on Nix and let the games begin. Willis, Gatewood, Sandburg, and Nix will all have the opportunity to take the starting job. Let the best man win.  I am more concerned with the “style” of offense we will run. Yesterday Gus took advantage of our strengths by throwing the ball, that trends needs to continue next year. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, aucom96 said:

If running ZR option is all we have next season, we may be replacing a coach before the season is over.

during or after?....it will be one of the two unless gatewood can save his butt by being an elite athlete like cam was

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

In fact given the extremely small sample we have of any of the backups, its amazing how people can draw such definite/absolute conclusions

Joey Gatewood Heisman

15-0 ship!

4 hours ago, WarTiger said:

You are going to make that determination after he threw a total of SEVEN passes all season.  Oh, and he completed FIVE of those.  That's the very definition of MASSIVE REACH.  In fact given the extremely small sample we have of any of the backups, its amazing how people can draw such definite/absolute conclusions.  Very glad nobody here is making any decisions for the program.    

The only truth we have here is that we as fans haven't seen enough of any of these backups at the QB position to make even the remotest conclusion about them.  The coaches know lightyears more about what these players can do than anybody here ever will.

Is Massive Reach defined in Funk and Wagnalls?  😉
Willis' total completion yardage was 24 yards on 5 completions with the longest being for 7 yards.  4.8 yards per completion. H'mm.  He's been in the program for 2 years and I have to ask, why won't they let him throw down field?
Every time he's played this year, Malzahn is in his face when he comes off the field.  Why?  Poor decisions in a running play?  Was there a true zone/read called?
True, none of us know what happens in practice and none of us know what get discussed behind the scenes.  All I do know is I haven't seen any proof after 2 years that Willis is close to being a SEC QB.  Yes, he had a long run against MSU last year and he hasn't had many opportunities,  but there has to be a reason.  We all know Gustav is very conservative with young skill players, but my bet is Gus hasn't seen anything in practice or a game that makes him comfortable giving Willis the keys to the car after 2 years.
Besides, this entire site is made up of massive reaches and we all have differing opinions.  I stated mine as did you.

3 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Just judging from the warm ups before yesterday's game (and fully realizing they are meaningless ;)...)  Stidham and Willis had much better form and accuracy passing the ball. Gatewood had some struggles and the ball coming out of Sanberg's hand looks only slightly better than if it were being thrown by a place kicker/punter.  

Who knows what is going to happen in the off season and who will improve the most and take the lead? Gatewood certainly looks the part and he didn't disappoint when he was finally given a chance.  I just wish they had gotten in a bit sooner and had the opportunity to throw the ball down the field a little. It's a shame neither really was given that chance during the season even in mop up duty. It was 95+% run by design.  That really bothers me. 

Yep we are all going off of athleticism, but the one pass I did see JG throw did not look good at all. We shall see. I was definitely a victim of the moment last night. 

On 12/28/2018 at 5:17 PM, AU64 said:

JMO but playing half or a quarter of a game today against a whipped team was not gonna prepare Willis or JG for Oregon.   They were playing with a patchwork team and not in a position to run the "full offense".

As I noted earlier, it would  not have affected the future.   It's up to Dillingham to get them ready for next season....what Chip was doing with them will be irrelevant IMO. 

What you and a few others just don't seem to get is this isn't just about that one game. This is an ongoing issue that plagues the team since Gus has been here. The #2s are rarely ready to go or even allowed to sniff the playbook outside of basic handoffs and a couple of basic passes. They're underprepared. Prove me wrong.

Fact of the matter is nobody has any evidence to justify what they are saying as far as ranking the QB's. NOBODY knows of anybody's ability to learn or process anything, nobody knows who can make what throws, comparing what a guy in college did as opposed to what a guy did in highschool might could work with professionals but as far as the people talking the most in these threads saying who is the best? No. Don't have the data, if they did they still probably wouldn't know what to look at to evaluate. Just saying somebody played in high school full time and part time isn't smart. If scottsboro or pinson valley had two D1 qb's you don't know what would happen, 9 times out of 10 if any of the qb's Bo, Gatewood, the other D1 QB on Gatewoods team show up at scottsboro they are 4 year starters. Only a few schools have multiple D1 players at QB on one team.....

56 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Fact of the matter is nobody has any evidence to justify what they are saying as far as ranking the QB's. NOBODY knows of anybody's ability to learn or process anything, nobody knows who can make what throws, comparing what a guy in college did as opposed to what a guy did in highschool might could work with professionals but as far as the people talking the most in these threads saying who is the best? No. Don't have the data, if they did they still probably wouldn't know what to look at to evaluate. Just saying somebody played in high school full time and part time isn't smart. If scottsboro or pinson valley had two D1 qb's you don't know what would happen, 9 times out of 10 if any of the qb's Bo, Gatewood, the other D1 QB on Gatewoods team show up at scottsboro they are 4 year starters. Only a few schools have multiple D1 players at QB on one team.....

Some people want to use Gatewood’s elite athletic ability against him when he was in HS. If people consistently did that, they’d also say Ryan Davis wasn’t even good enough to be a full time WR,but then they’d feel foolish and shy away into the shadows again. 

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Some people want to use Gatewood’s elite athletic ability against him when he was in HS. If people consistently did that, they’d also say Ryan Davis wasn’t even good enough to be a full time WR,but then they’d feel foolish and shy away into the shadows again. 

So you think JG would be a good full time WR

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So you think JG would be a good full time WR

Not unless you think RD would be a good full time QB. Players playing positions based on necessity shouldn’t be a knock on the HS athletes. 

I think Gatewood is plenty enough talented to play other positions, but I want him where he can be more dynamic in a Gus Malzahn offense.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Not unless you think RD would be a good full time QB. Players playing positions based on necessity shouldn’t be a knock on the HS athletes. 

You're seem to be talking in circles and I'm not sure you know where you are at.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You're seem to be talking in circles and I'm not sure you know where you are at.

I’m actually not. Your comprehension skills are just not up to par. Hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m actually not. Your comprehension skills are just not up to par. Hope this helps.

How exactly is it supposed to help?  Empty is empty is empty.

Just now, bigbird said:

How exactly is it supposed to help?  Empty is empty is empty.

The argument is fine from my end. If you’re confused about the argument, let me know. If you’re fine with being empty is empty is empty, that’s cool, too. 

Or we can trade shots, and talk about it later. 

Unlike many on here, this was my first time seeing JG. I was impressed with his poise and ability. Must improve as a passer but certainly has loads of ability. I just have never seen MW as our starting QB. I can see JG being our starter next year and Nix red shirting. If Nix becomes first string, then he certainly would be special for a true freshman with two already in the system. I just don't think CGM can afford to take a year to develop Nix in the system and SEC. CGM needs to immediately come out of the gate with this team humming.

I don’t think there’s anyone who would say Joey Can’t be a qb in Gus or another system. My argument or opinion is that he needs more time to get to that point. Mostly because of his limited role in high school. Joey didn’t play other positions just because he was needed. He was probably beat or equal to the other player. Either way it probably will take another year or two. Bo was the opposite. He played qb and threw the ball around as much and as successful as most ever have. Because of this I predict Bo will win the job easily. I am not even hoping I’m right. I’d rather have a monster athlete at qb if he’s better. I don’t know or like either of them better than the others. This goes for Malik and Cord too. I will be the fan of whoever plays. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I don’t think there’s anyone who would say Joey Can’t be a qb in Gus or another system. My argument or opinion is that he needs more time to get to that point. Mostly because of his limited role in high school. Joey didn’t play other positions just because he was needed. He was probably beat or equal to the other player. Either way it probably will take another year or two. Bo was the opposite. He played qb and threw the ball around as much and as successful as most ever have. Because of this I predict Bo will win the job easily. I am not even hoping I’m right. I’d rather have a monster athlete at qb if he’s better. I don’t know or like either of them better than the others. This goes for Malik and Cord too. I will be the fan of whoever plays. 

Can't argue with that. I suspect Gus just needs a seasoned QB next yr and we don't really have one. With JG and BN it will probably take a few years to hit their stride.

21 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The argument is fine from my end. If you’re confused about the argument, let me know. If you’re fine with being empty is empty is empty, that’s cool, too. 

Or we can trade shots, and talk about it later. 

I think Bird was getting at the Ryan Davis was a quarterback in high school and was a good running QB like JG.

I think this spring will be a good test for our QB’s.  I am also on the Nix train and want him to win from day one as JG was not a polished passer coming out of high school and I think a year isn’t enough time.  On the other hand Nix has grown up learning to pass from his father.  There are some coaches saying they haven’t seen such a developed, college ready passer in 20 years.  I am no QB expert however so take what I say with a grain of salt.  

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

think Bird was getting at the Ryan Davis was a quarterback in high school and was a good running QB like JG.

I know what he was saying. What he’s saying is irrelevant. 

It’s ridiculous to criticize JG for playing out of position or moving around out of HS roster necessity is what I’m saying. 

Archived