Dillingham already having an effect?

Samau

It may be completely unrelated but this is the best the offense has looked all year. I know the play calling by Gus was excellent and that had a major impact but I'm hoping part of the reason was Dillingham. Memphis was #4 in the nation in total offense. Also this is the first time I can ever remember Stidham actually stepping up in the pocket and not scrambling to the sidelines when under pressure. I didn't recognize this offense today. I was pleasantly surprised. WDE 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Samau said:

It may be completely unrelated but this is the best the offense has looked all year. I know the play calling by Gus was excellent and that had a major impact but I'm hoping part of the reason was Dillingham. Memphis was #4 in the nation in total offense. Also this is the first time I can ever remember Stidham actually stepping up in the pocket and not scrambling to the sidelines when under pressure. I didn't recognize this offense today. I was pleasantly surprised. WDE 

Dillingham didn’t really coach for this game. The game planning was Gus and Kodi.

It remains to be seen what affect Dilly will have on our program. It seemed as if the offensive scoring approached 0 after JS left the game.  I'm not sure why. Maybe the second/third string players were just cold.

1 minute ago, Bottomfeeder said:

It remains to be seen what affect Dilly will have on our program. It seemed as if the offensive scoring approached 0 after JS left the game.  I'm not sure why. Maybe the second/third string players were just cold.

Gus wasn't exactly letting out all the stops at that point. He got too conservative. I was disappointed in this because it doesn't do anything towards developing the backups.

8 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder said:

do you think they were trying to score  handing it off or keeping it each possession?

I doubt Dillingham had anything to do with this. This is all Gustav and will be all Gustav next year. Gustav is coaching for his life next year and has going to win or lose betting 200% on himself. 

52 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

do you think they were trying to score  handing it off or keeping it each possession?

Short answer, no.  Gus seems to pucker up when the replacements come in.

Gus used his predictable tendency to set up couple big plays.  That’s just like his OC days from 2010.  The difference this game was in speed of our receivers versus Purdue secondary.  

I don’t think Willis was allowed to read and the hand-offs were predetermined by Gus.  Willis had open field if he kept on a couple of them.  Easy to read the guy hitting the running back as you go to hand off.

The play calling and formation predictability while Gatewood was in during second half was deja vu.  Can count the plays on one hand.  Could see Purdue anticipating play.

The score was 63 -14.   Gus wasn’t going to run anything else.    He was trying to  end the game without embarrassing Purdue anymore than they already were.   Just what little I saw of Gatewood, he is the better option between him and Willis.  

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

The score was 63 -14.   Gus wasn’t going to run anything else.    He was trying to  end the game without embarrassing Purdue anymore than they already were.   Just what little I saw of Gatewood, he is the better option between him and Willis.  

It was scary watching a guy of Gatewood size be that explosive. If they can just get him making correct zone,power reads and complete the easy passes.... May be a monster. Still too small of sample size , but has plenty of athleticism to be a game changer. 

Also the fact Gus did not run it up , showed some class. On other hand, wish he would not have slowed clock and got as many looks as possible with QB's just running very conservative plays.

This was a no win for Gus at the end if he continued running the same plays and our WR speed continued to be wide open he would have been hammered for running up the score.   By going ultra-conservative he gets hammered for not seeing what his young players can do.  I think Ideally he should have had each of the QB's get one real series where they threw downfield. Then go conservative.

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

Just handing it off.  Waste of an opportunity to see if future guys could get the ball in the end zone

I'm not sure I agree with this take.  For Malik or Joey to be successful, they will need to run the zone read successfully.  Malik in particular makes some frustrating decisions in that part of the game.

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

Shorter answer.  When Stidham has time,  he can be deadly.  Our Oline was horrible pretty much all year and it hurt us big time.  

It wasn't just the oline. It was Stidham too. Good QB's help out their oline by stepping up in the pocket and making a play

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This was a no win for Gus at the end if he continued running the same plays and our WR speed continued to be wide open he would have been hammered for running up the score.   By going ultra-conservative he gets hammered for not seeing what his young players can do.  I think Ideally he should have had each of the QB's get one real series where they threw downfield. Then go conservative.

Likely neither of the backups can "throw downfield" without good chance of an INT.

The coaches have watched both QBs for a year in practice and scrimmages and know what they can do....and what they can't do..      Can't see anything to be gained from having either of them throw a couple passes in a game where the team is up 50 points and they are playing with second and third teamers.    They got to play and run the ball and if Willis were a bit more intuitive, he and Shivers could have almost walked down the field....without even trying a pass.   And JG got robbed of a TD at the end.  

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Likely neither of the backups can "throw downfield" without good chance of an INT.

The coaches have watched both QBs for a year in practice and scrimmages and know what they can do....and what they can't do..      Can't see anything to be gained from having either of them throw a couple passes in a game where the team is up 50 points and they are playing with second and third teamers.    They got to play and run the ball and if Willis were a bit more intuitive, he and Shivers could have almost walked down the field....without even trying a pass.   And JG got robbed of a TD at the end.  

Man, you are just something else. Lol. I mean ....damn. 

Just now, leglessdan said:

Man, you are just something else. Lol. I mean ....damn. 

Damn indeed....that's my opinion and it's makes more sense than some of the griping and second guessing that has followed the game..

I can't think of many people that would argue that two main QB 's that will be part of the QB battle next year shouldn't get playing time and it really doesn't matter.....but if I would have had to guess where you could find these fewand far between people they would be posting here

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I can't think of many people that would argue that two main QB 's that will be part of the QB battle next year shouldn't get playing time and it really doesn't matter.....but if I would have had to guess where you could find these fewand far between people they would be posting here

Nobody said they shouldn't get playing time. You are pulling mis-quotes out of you know where again. It was said they didn't need to be throwing downfield with the score sitting at 63-14. That's different from what you claimed.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nobody said they shouldn't get playing time. You are pulling mis-quotes out of you know where again. It was said they didn't need to be throwing downfield with the score sitting at 63-14. That's different from what you claimed.

I don't know many people that would think that the two QB's who would potentially lead the team next year shouldn't get playing time and actually throw the ball downfield......I didn't think I had to say the QB actually play and do the things a QB has to do....I forgot who I was talking to though....you ok with the QB getting in the game and taking licks running the ball but not passing......well you're ok with these QB's doing that.....

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't know many people that would think that the two QB's who would potentially lead the team next year shouldn't get playing time and actually throw the ball downfield......I didn't think I had to say the QB actually play and do the things a QB has to do....I forgot who I was talking to though....you ok with the QB getting in the game and taking licks running the ball but not passing......well you're ok with these QB's doing that.....

I'm fine with not running the score up on a whipped opponent. A toss or two now wouldn't help anything next season and would have been poor sportsmanship. Spring practice and Fall camp are for QB development.

Archived