Dillingham already having an effect?

Samau

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm fine with not running the score up on a whipped opponent. A toss or two now wouldn't help anything next season and would have been poor sportsmanship. Spring practice and Fall camp are for QB development.

Playing in a game absolutely helps. A mistake made when up 63 as opposed to making that mistake when you're up against somebody in a dog fight can be completely different. 

I don't know where you guys are getting this logic from but there's a reason why QB's get better from game to game even after they've went though fall and summer practices and spring training

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know where you guys are getting this logic from but there's a reason why QB's get better from game to game even after they've went though fall and summer practices and spring training

From observation for one thing.     Playing a game probably helps but playing in a game for a couple series of downs?   I doubt it.  Don't even go beyond AU and you see guys who play part time or even a most of a game and never get better.  So if MW plays yesterday, throws a few passes ….and six months later he is supposed to be better?  That's a joke?  right? 

You can write it down.....Willis will never be the starting QB and he is about as good as he will ever be at QB........time for him to move to another position IMO.   As for JG...I have no idea having never been to a practice....but I'm pretty sure the coaching staff knows.   

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

From observation for one thing.     Playing a game probably helps but playing in a game for a couple series of downs?   I doubt it.  Don't even go beyond AU and you see guys who play part time or even a most of a game and never get better.  So if MW plays yesterday, throws a few passes ….and six months later he is supposed to be better?  That's a joke?  right? 

You can write it down.....Willis will never be the starting QB and he is about as good as he will ever be at QB........time for him to move to another position IMO.   As for JG...I have no idea having never been to a practice....but I'm pretty sure the coaching staff knows.   

Playing a half of football won't help? Got it. When jf3 was at QB you didn't know what the coaches were thinking but now you get upset if a dialogue is started 😂 And as far as JG you're damn right walking out in front of everybody during a bowl game knowing you're running an offense makes you better 6 months from now....can't tell you guys nothing though...somebody else will then you'll acknowledge it....

And you came up with that about Willis because he wasn't a good enough running back....NEVER saw you be disgruntled at any other QB needing to change positions from running an option. I saw you scoff at the idea of somebody not being good after he threw an interception....but nothing you say surprises me anymore

Never ever ever lets the back-ups use the playbook. Ever. So isn't saying "coach has watched them in practice and they're not ready" the same as saying "coach hasn't had a worthy backup qb in 8 or 9 years"?

Also, when you defend the decision to never rep a backup qb, isn't that the same as saying every other coach at every level has done it wrong for a hundred years? 

Say you love the coach, that's great. Say don't run up the score, that's great too. Just regular disagreements. But spare us the declaration that coach has seen them in practice, practice alone is good enough, and the players aren't. If he's so awesome at watching them and evaluating them at practice, then why cant he evaluate them at high school? It means he get's it right at practice but misses it 95% at high school level? The guy signs Mr. Football every year then two years later every one of those same guys aren't even worth a clean-up opportunity? BS. Im ok with Gus. He's our coach for the foreseeable future. But he sucks ass at the quarterback position. 

9 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Never ever ever lets the back-ups use the playbook. Ever. So isn't saying "coach has watched them in practice and they're not ready" the same as saying "coach hasn't had a worthy backup qb in 8 or 9 years"?

Also, when you defend the decision to never rep a backup qb, isn't that the same as saying every other coach at every level has done it wrong for a hundred years? 

Say you love the coach, that's great. Say don't run up the score, that's great too. Just regular disagreements. But spare us the declaration that coach has seen them in practice, practice alone is good enough, and the players aren't. If he's so awesome at watching them and evaluating them at practice, then why cant he evaluate them at high school? It means he get's it right at practice but misses it 95% at high school level? The guy signs Mr. Football every year then two years later every one of those same guys aren't even worth a clean-up opportunity? BS. Im ok with Gus. He's our coach for the foreseeable future. But he sucks ass at the quarterback position. 

I know I'm the dumbest guy on the board but I can't get passed the coaches know the QBs can't throw downfield without throwing an interception and running the score up correlation.....how is that going to work? 

We constantly sign QB's but for whatever reason only 30% of them can actually complete a pass....and not only us but other D1 programs saw them as QB 's but it just seems that we are tricked more than others....every year we only have one guy who is ready and capable of playing the QB position on the roster. Nobody else has noticed this pattern?

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know I'm the dumbest guy on the board but I can't get passed the coaches know the QBs can't throw downfield without throwing an interception and running the score up correlation.....how is that going to work? 

We constantly sign QB's but for whatever reason only 30% of them can actually complete a pass....and not only us but other D1 programs saw them as QB 's but it just seems that we are tricked more than others....every year we only have one guy who is ready and capable of playing the QB position on the roster. Nobody else has noticed this pattern?

It makes you wonder, if Stidham was hurt and not 100% (as Gus mentioned in his post game interview), wouldn’t it be nice to have had a backup QB ready to step in and run the entire offense?  One wonders if the injury was the reason we saw so many WR screens and Stidham’s fumbles and interceptions during the season.

It’s a trend Gus has had over the last few years, not having a #2 ready for his offensive skilled players, therefore playing players that are not 100%.

2 hours ago, aubie57 said:

It’s not just the QB position, there is rarely ever a RB2 ready to go. 

Pettway and KJ weren't both ready to go last year? Who knew?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You might have mis-remembered. Pettway was not available for the opener and KJ pulled a hammy in the opener.  Pettway was nursing a high ankle sprain even though he was pressed into service, he was ineffective while KJ was healing. When KJ got back Pettway disappeared until the Arky game and then disappeared for another injury.  So, no they both weren’t ready to go at the same time last year.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's NOT what he said. He said there is rarely a No 2 ready to go, which isn't the same thing. You are pulling mis quotes from you know where again. What you wrote is completely different from what you claimed

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You might have mis-remembered. Pettway was not available for the opener and KJ pulled a hammy in the opener.  Pettway was nursing a high ankle sprain even though he was pressed into service, he was ineffective while KJ was healing. When KJ got back Pettway disappeared until the Arky game and then disappeared for another injury.  So, no they both weren’t ready to go at the same time last year.

When both were healthy, both played until Pettway developed "other" difficulties. Those two running backs were available, as was Kam Martin. . The statement was made that there are rarely two running backs ready to go. There were three last year. Whitlow, Kam Martin and Shivers were available this season, along with Miller who was used in special situations. Four this season.

If the complaint was that there haven't been two all-SEC RB's available since Caddy and Ronnie, that would be true of AU and any other SEC team you cared to name.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

That's NOT what he said. He said there is rarely a No 2 ready to go, which isn't the same thing

And I pointed out that this is not true.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

When both were healthy, both played until Pettway developed "other" difficulties. Those two running backs were available, as was Kam Martin. . The statement was made that there are rarely two running backs ready to go. There were three last year. Whitlow, Kam Martin and Shivers were available this season, along with Miller who was used in special situations. Four this season.

If the complaint was that there haven't been two all-SEC RB's available since Caddy and Ronnie, that would be true of AU and any other SEC team you cared to name.

To the bolded part, the only game they were both healthy was the Arky game. Pettway was suspended for the opener and his ankle injury kept him out when KJ was healthy. We sure could have used Pettway in the SECCG, but as you say, he developed other difficulties.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And I pointed out that this is not true.

You pointed out THIS year. But everybody isn't you just fighting for everything Gus and make up things. People remember consecutive years of not having running backs to finish the season and aren't going to make pretend that it didn't happen

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

You pointed out THIS year. But everybody isn't you just fighting for everything Gus and make up things. People remember consecutive years of not having running backs to finish the season and aren't going to make pretend that it didn't happen

Last year (2017)we had K. Mart and Miller after KJ got injured. What years did we not have running backs to finish the season? I don't remember even one year since Bowden was hit with a bunch of injuries. I'd be interested to know when we had consecutive years without running backs to finish the season.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, AURocketman said:

Gus used his predictable tendency to set up couple big plays.  That’s just like his OC days from 2010.  The difference this game was in speed of our receivers versus Purdue secondary.  

I don’t think Willis was allowed to read and the hand-offs were predetermined by Gus.  Willis had open field if he kept on a couple of them.  Easy to read the guy hitting the running back as you go to hand off.

The play calling and formation predictability while Gatewood was in during second half was deja vu.  Can count the plays on one hand.  Could see Purdue anticipating play.

I think I agree with the first part of this but not sure about the rest. I think Willis was allowed to read because I recall one of the times he chose to the obviously wrong read and Gus was on him like white on rice. Also, in spite of 'Purdue anticipating the play' Gatewood was able to get big chunks and seemed to make the better reads and carve the defense up to the point of scoring even though the refs got it wrong and no review for mercy rules. Either that or Gus was doing a better job of predetermining the handoffs for Joey. It was also somewhat obvious to me that Gatewood outperformed Willis although I'm not sure it was fair to judge with the parameters they were working under.

Why are we talking Pettway and KJ when there’s two years of evidence after them that blatantly proves Gus will ride a hand out until the wheels falls off lol.

as far as the OP goes: Dillingham needs to help Grimes as much as he can 

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

as far as the OP goes: Dillingham needs to help Grimes as much as he can 

There is no way Dillingham is experienced enough to suggest anything to Grimes. A coach in the business for two years would have zero creds to try to help an experienced coach of Grimes’ reputation. Grimes has forgotten more the Dillingham knows right now.  The dynamic just wouldn’t work, something similar to Franklin discussing offense with the BBQ boys.

I understand, by an insider, that Grimes may not be here much longer, so the dynamic could change.  I would guess Gus would have more input to the OL than Dillingham. JMO

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

There is no way Dillingham is experienced enough to suggest anything to Grimes. A coach in the business for two years would have zero creds to try to help an experienced coach of Grimes’ reputation. Grimes has forgotten more the Dillingham knows right now.  The dynamic just wouldn’t work, something similar to Franklin discussing offense with the BBQ boys.

I understand, by an insider, that Grimes may not be here much longer, so the dynamic could change.  I would guess Gus would have more input to the OL than Dillingham. JMO

I’m talking about recruiting man lol

On 12/28/2018 at 8:47 PM, AU64 said:

Likely neither of the backups can "throw downfield" without good chance of an INT.

The coaches have watched both QBs for a year in practice and scrimmages and know what they can do....and what they can't do..      Can't see anything to be gained from having either of them throw a couple passes in a game where the team is up 50 points and they are playing with second and third teamers.    They got to play and run the ball and if Willis were a bit more intuitive, he and Shivers could have almost walked down the field....without even trying a pass.   And JG got robbed of a TD at the end.  

I agree up to a point but you have practice players and game players. I have been around sports all my life and have seen players in practice who are all world and then can't produce in a game and I have seen other players who don't excel in practice but when the game comes on they play at a different level. The only way you can tell is having them run the total offense in a game. 

I will concede up front the offense I would have Willis or Joey run would be different then what Stidham run in both are better runners read option to run is better for both of them but Nick and Cam also threw downfield. 

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree up to a point but you have practice players and game players. I have been around sports all my life and have seen players in practice who are all world and then can't produce in a game and I have seen other players who don't excel in practice but when the game comes on they play at a different level. The only way you can tell is having them run the total offense in a game. 

I will concede up front the offense I would have Willis or Joey run would be different then what Stidham run in both are better runners read option to run is better for both of them but Nick and Cam also threw downfield. 

That's useful to do but seems that a coach should be able to know the capability of a player he has had for 2 years....and who plays in scrimmage games on a regular basis.   MW has certainly had plenty of time to prove himself...

Check Matthew 25: verse 29.....Afraid this applies to MW.            " To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away."

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's useful to do but seems that a coach should be able to know the capability of a player he has had for 2 years....and who plays in scrimmage games on a regular basis.   MW has certainly had plenty of time to prove himself...

Check Matthew 25: verse 29.....Afraid this applies to MW.            " To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away."

In practice and scrimmage the QB is protected so you don't get to see the improvisation that can separate an ok QB from a great QB.  If you watch the bama Oklahoma game multiple times in a practice Kyler Murray would have been blown dead as somebody touched him but in a game he made multiple plays after being touched.  In my previous post I also mentioned the difference between practice players and game players. I played HS Football and then played Rugby for over 40 years in addition to coaching multiple kids sports and HS rugby teams.  Some players are great in practice and games, some are great in practice and better in games some are great in practice and  fall apart in games, some are mediocre in practice and mediocre in games and then some are mediocre in practice add show out in games. 

I saw enough in the Auburn Purdue game to see that that Gatewood seemed to read the Zone read better and was a stronger runner.  Since both are running QB's I would have liked to see then throw on the run. We had a big enough lead so what if they threw a pick.  As I said in my first post I wanted one series where they were allowed more leeway than stop so as not to run up the score.

Archived