Dillingham already having an effect?

Samau

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True….and probably other coaches too.  Bet anytime a new coach is hired, the other coaches who will have involvement with the new coach will have input and be asked for their view.   So.....coach maybe picked the wrong guy for the job?  or the right guy for the wrong job?    Whichever...he now has made a change.   What I would mostly blame Gus for would be sticking with an ineffective/wrong coach for too long. ..which I think happened with Lashley.  JMO

Probably both guys tbh. Gus just needs to be Gus and lead the offense. It's his passion and it is what ultimately got him a HC gig.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Probably both guys tbh. Gus just needs to be Gus and lead the offense. It's his passion and it is what ultimately got him a HC gig.

I agree, but if he does that other areas that a HC is responsible for will suffer. Gus is not one that is adept at delegation. 

Maybe he will change...

giphy.gif

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but if he does that other areas that a HC is responsible for will suffer. Gus is not one that is adept at delegation. 

Maybe he will change...

giphy.gif

Maybe he can do like Saban and hire 27 "analysts".

Only, in his case, the "analysts" jobs are actually to handle all the Head Coaching duties....

2Iav76G.gif

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hence why the ZR can't be a core offense anymore. Every once in a while? Sure, but as the core we would be beaten terribly by SEC D's. 

Hence why the RPO was invented. It takes the deficiencies of the ZR, and attacks the D as they do what is needed to stop the ZR. In a few seasons, the RPO will fall just like the ZR and a new scheme will have taken over. Thus is the cycle of football 

38 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Hence why the RPO was invented. It takes the deficiencies of the ZR, and attacks the D as they do what is needed to stop the ZR. In a few seasons, the RPO will fall just like the ZR and a new scheme will have taken over. Thus is the cycle of football 

Exactly.

Why some want to revert to a scheme 4 or 5 years removed from effectiveness is beyond me.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

Gus wasn't exactly letting out all the stops at that point. He got too conservative. I was disappointed in this because it doesn't do anything towards developing the backups. 

I think you are right. Gus played conservative to run out the clock, he was not concerned about running up the score like many suggest. this is how Gus plays. Get the lead then lay back and try to hold the ball. Does nothing to develop players playing like this.

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@aujeff11 

How many football teams effectively run the ZR as their core offense?

Who said anything about wanting it to be the core offense? I actually already spoke against this. But to answer your question a lot of teams use tbe ZR, not as tbe fastball, but as the changeup. 

Missisippi State killed us with it, Penn State, Michigan, Carolina Panthers, and many other schools that had QBs athletic enough for the ZR used it. 

Zone Read and RPOs are all from the same read option family, So when you see tbe Chiefs run a read option shovel pass, it should remind you of our “pop” pass in 2013.

As long as the read option can flip the numbers, (leaving one defender unblocked and accounted for, a QB keeper can shift the numbers 11 against 10 in favor of offense) there are going to be reasons to use it. 

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly.

Why some want to revert to a scheme 4 or 5 years removed from effectiveness is beyond me.

Because most people are surface only fans, they remember it worked and don't understand why it worked and why it doesn't any longer. 

57 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Who said anything about wanting it to be the core offense? I actually already spoke against this. But to answer your question a lot of teams use tbe ZR, not as tbe fastball, but as the changeup. 

Missisippi State killed us with it, Penn State, Michigan, Carolina Panthers, and many other schools that had QBs athletic enough for the ZR used it. 

Zone Read and RPOs are all from the same read option family, So when you see tbe Chiefs run a read option shovel pass, it should remind you of our “pop” pass in 2013.

As long as the read option can flip the numbers, (leaving one defender unblocked and accounted for, a QB keeper can shift the numbers 11 against 10 in favor of offense) there are going to be reasons to use it. 

The Ravens ran it intermittently pretty well yesterday....but no one can it be the primary offense but it can be effective in the right situation, like the triple option.

19 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

The Ravens ran it intermittently pretty well yesterday....but no one can it be the primary offense but it can be effective in the right situation, like the triple option.

So, if it's not the primary offense, then you need a QB that is a threat passing the ball. Otherwise, you end up with the 2016 UGA game.

44 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Because most people are surface only fans, they remember it worked and don't understand why it worked and why it doesn't any longer. 

You might like this article.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/platform/amp/2015/9/17/9345633/what-happened-to-the-zone-read-how-to-defend-spread-offense-urban-Meyer

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Who said anything about wanting it to be the core offense? I actually already spoke against this. 

Just now, bigbird said:

So I said they need to run the zone read and develop better passing skills. Your point? That’s a much better idea than your assertion of we need to stop running the zone read when we have two QBs that are athletic enough to do damage with the zone read. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It was a good read th at well outlined how easy It is to stop a ZR. It also makes mention of the RPO as the evolution. 

20 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

It was a good read th at well outlined how easy It is to stop a ZR. It also makes mention of the RPO as the evolution. 

Yes it does make mention of tbe RPO. It’s a part of the read option family. There has been film out on the zone read forever now and there are solutions to stop it but teams still successfully use it because the offense has counter solutions. 

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes it does make mention of tbe RPO. It’s a part of the read option family. There has been film out on the zone read forever now and there are solutions to stop it but teams still successfully use it because the offense has counter solutions. 

But running an RPO base isn't a ZR base. It requires a person who is more than just an athlete at QB. All offence evolved from the single wing and wing t, doesn't mean all are the same.  

In a RPO the QB will not run as much, only as a last resort. The blocking schemes are different, etc. It is more of a variation of the zone run than the ZR. 

29 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Plus, the RPO isn't the base O but a variation used to place the D in conflict and reduce the number of keys the D can use  

19 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Plus, the RPO isn't the base O but a variation used to place the D in conflict and reduce the number of keys the D can use  

The ZR doesn’t have to be our base O to run it. We can utilize it just as others use the RPO: to put stress on the D. Again, I’m not saying we should use it like we did against Tennessee in 2013 (6 total passes.) We can use it to our strengths along with veers and QB draws though. 

22 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

But running an RPO base isn't a ZR base. It requires a person who is more than just an athlete at QB. 

RPOs are just a fancier version of tbe pop pass that NM threw to Sammie Coates in 2013 Iron Bowl. RPOs and ZR can both be used off inside zone and outside reads. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rpoclinic.com/2017/08/29/inside-zone-rpo-the-basics/amp/

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

So, if it's not the primary offense, then you need a QB that is a threat passing the ball. Otherwise, you end up with the 2016 UGA game.

Lol. We passed on Jackson at QB. I can't get over that one lol. And many on the board would have wanted him at safety first int or I guess now misread of an option. Great stuff

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Lol. We passed on Jackson at QB. I can't get over that one lol. And many on the board would have wanted him at safety first int or I guess now misread of an option. Great stuff

Lamar Jackson at UL wouldn't be the same Lamar Jackson at Auburn IMO. Say what you want about Petrino, but he deserves a raise of glass for developing Lamar to be much more than just an athlete. Freshman year to sophomore year is night and day.

16 hours ago, DAG said:

Lamar Jackson at UL wouldn't be the same Lamar Jackson at Auburn IMO. Say what you want about Petrino, but he deserves a raise of glass for developing Lamar to be much more than just an athlete. Freshman year to sophomore year is night and day.

Petrino owes Lamar too. What happened to Louisville after Lamar left? 

Archived