Stidham injured all season?

AUB1974

It all begs the all-important question. Where was this all season? Why now, when no one was even looking?

Malzahn seemed to blame it on an injured quarterback, but Stidham never mentioned an injury throughout the season.

“He wasn’t healthy all year,” Malzahn said after the game on the national broadcast, “and he never complained about that.”

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/12/auburn-where-was-this-all-season.htmlQ

Any thoughts?

Was sure fun to watch today. May have been still hurting from shoulder surgery or just nagging bumps and bruises. Either way gives an excuse for not playing up to the standards given before the year, sooooo maybe NFL says," well maybe that's reason for under performance." (Helps stock)

Maybe Stidham wasn't quite ready to come back at the start of the season due to his off-season surgery and they didn't want to use it as an excuse, since we obviously didn't have a backup ready.

From the article linked above:

"Malzahn proved something important this postseason, though. His players never stopped fighting for him, and that’s good coaching whether his critics want to admit it or not."

I think today's performance would back that statement.

I didn’t see anything different today than I saw all season.  He had a couple overthrows on long passes and lacked touch on some others.  Play calling was the difference today.  The return of the fake end around long bomb and lots of passes over 5 yards.  Purdue also had one of the worst pass defenses in the country which helps

There was a big hit he took against Washington. It was a third down later in the game. He scrambled out and he lowered his shoulder on a LB and got blasted. Not sure if that was THE play but he was ginger from it. And then the rest of the year he was constantly taking hits. 

It was nice to see him after a long break though. Had confidence and was stepping up in the pocket the few times he had to. 

He has thrown some beautiful passes and was a huge part of the 2017 highlights. I’m sad to see him go. 

Glad this was posted / I thought I misheard Gus when he said that. 

i thought stid was hurt as well. people called him a coward but if you are the best qb available i would bet the coaches told him not to take many hits as they could make his injury worse and maybe give us a less chance of winning. if his shoulder was trashed i can understand it messing his mechanics up and overthrowing those long balls several times. regardless i wish stid the absolute best going forward towards a pro career.

Archived