Was Chip a bad OC or did he and Gus not gel?

AUCE05

I don't think we'll ever know for sure, but my theory is that Chip is a good OC and had he been allowed to do it his way without interference, it would have been a good result.  And we saw yesterday that Gus can produce a good result as well.  The philosophies didn't mesh well and neither did the coaches involved.  The combo was a dysfunctional mess.  The main thing is a coherent, consistent and thoughtfully planned out strategy and Chip and Gus pulling in different directions made that impossible.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Gus not wanting to run up the score or not... As an ex-athlete, I preferred a team that was whooping my arse to score every time possible so I could learn to try and stop them.  That is the way one gets better. 

It is more embarrassing to be backed into a corner and just have someone quit playing  as if to say: you are not a worthy opponent...

Hope that this game is a building block for the future but I have doubts considering the competition level...

7 minutes ago, wareaglexx said:

As for Gus not wanting to run up the score or not... As an ex-athlete, I preferred a team that was whooping my arse to score every time possible so I could learn to try and stop them.  That is the way one gets better. 

It is more embarrassing to be backed into a corner and just have someone quit playing  as if to say: you are not a worthy opponent...

Hope that this game is a building block for the future but I have doubts considering the competition level...

That is uber insightful and very mature when it comes to the learning curve. Thank you for that perspective! I've never seen it expressed through the lens you just shared. That will preach, on and off the field!!

30 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think we'll ever know for sure, but my theory is that Chip is a good OC and had he been allowed to do it his way without interference, it would have been a good result.  And we saw yesterday that Gus can produce a good result as well.  The philosophies didn't mesh well and neither did the coaches involved.  The combo was a dysfunctional mess.  The main thing is a coherent, consistent and thoughtfully planned out strategy and Chip and Gus pulling in different directions made that impossible.

Seems like that stuff would be vetted out during the interview process, unless somebody went back on their words

11 minutes ago, wareaglexx said:

That's just something most who haven't played are saying. You'll NEVER find an athlete crying saying they ran it up when the team put it's back ups in. I mean trying to score with one second left in the game but the 3rd quarter? No

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Don't recall even once when he headed toward the sidelines when he saw signs of trouble and rarely dumped the ball out of bounds when his primary receiver appeared covered.  He was much more in command even on the few occasions when Purdue got a pass rush on him.

Yep. The proof was on the last 3rd Down of the half. Stidham stepped into the pocket and threw a good pass to Williams, who made a ridiculous catch near the ground. Next play .. TD.

The old Stidham would have tried to run laterally to escape pressure and been sacked/fumbled. Stepping into the pocket worked a lot better than a scramble.

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Honestly it was our OL. They played the best game of the season and that's why we looked so good IMO. Good blocking will make any coach look smart. 

And any subpar DL will make an OL look good.

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Seems like that stuff would be vetted out during the interview process, unless somebody went back on their words

For what it’s worth Gus had to promise chip play calling ability to get him to take the job two years ago per WDE. Obviously Gus did not follow through.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth Gus had to promise chip play calling ability to get him to take the job two years ago per WDE. Obviously Gus did not follow through.

EXACTLY. So why start discord between you and your OC? Be a man of your word. If you didn't trust him don't hire him. Seems like he was taken back that chip wasn't a yes man.....but I don't know that for fact of course

And did we all forget when the o wasn't working that well and Gus stepping away from being the o coord was the answer? Or am I remembering that wrong?

58 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gus could have throttled them with the deep balls all game long if he wanted to.

Yep. Slayton was BLAZING by his man every single time. Even after the one overthrow, I was saying in my best Gus voice, "Run it again!"

After Markell Jones was ejected, setting up 1st down at the Purdue 49 on the last drive of the half, I thought for sure the 1st play would be another bomb to Slayton. Maybe it was and Purdue killed it with early pressure. Took Gus till the 4th play to call it again.

I'm like you. Gus could have called it all game long. Their corners sucked.

14 hours ago, AUCE05 said:

I don't care how bad Purdue is.   They are at a minimum UT level.   Chip seemed to have held us back.  

Who knows. I fully expect Chip to have a successful coaching career wherever he goes.

This is a question that we will have the answer to within the next couple seasons. We will see the numbers Chip puts up and then see how we look going forward. If Chip can't put up big numbers against Big 12 defenses, then he's not worth his salt. 

Truth is Gus is an offensive guy. It’s what he does. As he progressed into the HC job at AU he could spend less time with the offense. Last year he even took on the ST himself. Nothing bad for an HC, but for Gus it was, because during a game Gus often wanted to insert his opinion. The problem with that was Gus was not really in the loop with what the OC was trying to do. Gus also wasn’t spending a lot of time in the Offensive room or studying the film that they were, because he was busy doing a lot of other things that HCs do. I think you saw this week was Gus back to being 100 percent involved with the offense. Studying the game film, writing the play scripts and coaching the offense. That was good. It also left Steele to run his defense with no interference. I think you see the benefit of that. Chips not bad he will do good things at Kansas. The question now at AU is will Gus except the roll and do what’s best for the team and himself. I hope so.

My speculation is that you had an AD and former Auburn football player himself, telling his head football coach that he needs to relinquish play calling duties (which may or not had been warranted after that shell-game game plan against Clemson) then followed by the pressure of being told to go find a "real" offensive coordinator. And we had a good deal of success because of it

But then the aforementioned AD resigns, being replaced by a new AD whose background is in baseball and who seems to be fairly hands-off. I think this lead to Malzahn injecting himself more into Chip Lindsey's offense thus creating an issue of "too many cooks in the kitchen". His resume would seem to suggest that Lindsey is a good coordinator/play caller, but I believe so is Malzahn.

So my interpretation is that ironically Jay Jacobs was the glue holding last year's offensive success together.

Before Chip could run his play, I heard Gus had to look over it. If Gus didn't like it, he'd strash it and come up with his own play to run.

21 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Don’t know the answer to this. I am sure it was on both sides and when you are expected to be certain things and do certain things and you fall flat on your face... I am sure there was tension on the offensive side. Chip is gone.. this is Gus’ ship now (concerting the offense and calling plays etc.) he can sink or sail. He decided to sail today. 

I do not see Malzahn 'sailing' on a consistent enough level in 2019 to please the fanbase. Hope I am wrong but I don't see it happening. Didn't he fail epic-ly the last time he openly called the offensive plays (2016 TAM)

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Truth is Gus is an offensive guy. It’s what he does. As he progressed into the HC job at AU he could spend less time with the offense. Last year he even took on the ST himself. Nothing bad for an HC, but for Gus it was, because during a game Gus often wanted to insert his opinion. The problem with that was Gus was not really in the loop with what the OC was trying to do. Gus also wasn’t spending a lot of time in the Offensive room or studying the film that they were, because he was busy doing a lot of other things that HCs do. I think you saw this week was Gus back to being 100 percent involved with the offense. Studying the game film, writing the play scripts and coaching the offense. That was good. It also left Steele to run his defense with no interference. I think you see the benefit of that. Chips not bad he will do good things at Kansas. The question now at AU is will Gus except the roll and do what’s best for the team and himself. I hope so.

something will suffer as a result of all the attention Gus gives week in and week out to offensive game planning. Recruiting maybe?

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

And any subpar DL will make an OL look good.

subpar DL? How in the world did they own TOSU this year?

10 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

subpar DL? How in the world did they own TOSU this year?

Are you saying that you think they are on par with UW, TAMU, LSU, MSU, UGA, UA? If so, you're mistaken.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Are you saying that you think they are on par with UW, TAMU, LSU, MSU, UGA, UA? If so, you're mistaken.

Guess not but they would have to be a good 'team' to beat Ohio State this year.

Archived