Was Chip a bad OC or did he and Gus not gel?

AUCE05

9 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I don't think you can come to any conclusions off of one bowl game.  Period.

The team executed against a much slower defense (like they should) and dominated.   that was good to see.

Purdue basically had no answer for our speed and we really just gave them a small taste of it, Gus could have throttled them with the deep balls all game long if he wanted to. 

Stidham was throwing a better looking ball, finally healthy, I had heard all season he was playing with injuries. 

I liked Gatewood's quick decision making and reads, even when he didn't make the right one.  Can he be a leader and win the team over?

I so badly wanna see Malik get the ball in space, he just floats out there when getting the ball.

The defense looked like what I thought they would this year, flying around, interior d-line disrupting plays, linebackers cleaning up.  We are losing some damn good ones on that side of the ball.

Yep. I think I recall a few decent short passes from MM in 2017 mop-up, but not this year. I sure hope he gets beaten out going into next season. We have to have a reliable passer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

something will suffer as a result of all the attention Gus gives week in and week out to offensive game planning. Recruiting maybe?

I take from what I hear from him and Allen Green, that He is going to get help. I think that the AD can help with handling outside things like academics and  boosters. Also hiring folks to do things like planning logistics and such. A good example would be to look at uat. Nick is allowed to hire a lot of non coaching folks to handle that stuff so he can concentrate on winning games.

It's a great mystery that only those inside the walls of the program and team know. I'd love to know myself whether Chip called a bad game or if Gustav suffocated him. 

I'll tell u this, if I ever find a Genie lamp and get 3 wishes, I for sure will ask who the jackass was that called 13 straight runs vs LSU in 2017. 

21 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

I know we have heard the quote so many times but proved to be right. WR caught everything , Offensive line really seemed to gel and did not have near as many blown assignments.(Maybe Purdue didn't blitz as much) The players executed great today, and think a lot of that has to do with just being on the same page hearing it from one voice. Just my theory but as a player you are coached to do something , well ,other coach tells you how to do same thing differently or with a little tweak, or has different philosophy on something and confuses the hell out of players. This may be completely wrong in this situation cause I by no means have any inside Info, but use of terminology ect have huge impact. Not saying they clashed or didn't clash but  needs to be like it was today with Gus taking bull by the horns or give OC complete control of offense. 

Today it seemed Gus called the play , play was signaled in , play was run. Throughout this past season, plays were being relayed into players a lot slower. Players looking to sideline with hands in air wondering formation and plays. Almost as though Chip call a play , Gus think about it and run it or change it.

Just my theory , not saying this was the case, but look forward in hearing other responses to this topic. 

ALSO lot easier to call smoother game with how we started haha

This is 100% what happened. 

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Seems like that stuff would be vetted out during the interview process, unless somebody went back on their words

I think Gus did go back on his word.

The defense was waiting on play calls during this game. Stidham had a great game but missed on some throws. Maybe the new OC helped with QB play. Maybe Grimes coaching helped OL do better. I don't think Willis has the IT factor for our QB.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:40 PM, alexava said:

Gus has his own very unique offense. Chip, Rhett, Dilly, freeze nor anyone else is going to run this offense as well as they could run their own or as well as Gus can run this one. Gus tried this in 15-18 basically being forced into it. He has to figure out how to delegate other responsibilities to give himself time to fully take control over the offense. 

We cant point fingers at Chip. Gus would be first to say that. 

I hope this is true

I don't think it is as simple as Lindsey not being a good OC or him and Malzahn not seeing eye to eye, with nothing else going on. The offensive line was atrocious at the beginning of the season, which led to not being able to run the ball well (Malzahn's bread and butter) and Stidham not having time to sit in the pocket to let routes develop (Lindsey's bread and butter). And a great deal of the problem on the OL was a lack of quality experience. A handful of starts from three linemen, and none from the others (including the center, who is always a vital cog up front). As they got more experience through the season, they got better. Remember, we were giving UAT all they could handle for the first half, and we had a 75 yard run called back because of a bone headed blocking infraction (on a non-lineman) that had nothing to do with Shivers busting loose. If that play stands, it's a different game altogether.

Then came the bowl game, and while Purdue is not on the level of UGA or UAT, they did beat Ohio State soundly, so they had potential, as well, and the line fairly well dominated that game on both sides of the ball. Seems to me that was a bout where we turned the corner with blocking, and returning all five starters (provided Tega comes back, which I really think he should) only means they're going to get better as a unit.

Now, I could definitely see there being a rift between Gus and Chip, as their philosophies differed and Gus seemed to handcuff chip by giving him a certain range of plays which he could call, creating a too-many-cooks-spoil-the-broth recipe, but in Nashville the line blocked better, Stidham didn't have happy feet when sitting in the pocket waiting to throw deep, and the running backs (particularly Martin) were finding more room to run more frequently than before. Gus credited execution, and that's a large part of it, but him calling the plays made it look seamless without multiple opinions going into the thought process (yes, Malzahn undoubtedly got information from his assistants, but there was no wrestle for ultimate authority in game flow).

At the end of the day, we may never know exactly what went down, even if one or both parties decides to have a tell-all, because their viewpoint will necessarily be jaded towards themselves, regardless which of the two they blame the most. However, I would say at this point that the most obvious answer of the two options presented is that the two coaches simply didn't gel when they had to get creative to overcome the deficiencies up front. I think Chip can be a good OC if given autonomy, but I think it's ultimately Malzahn's neck on the line, and he's betting big on himself by bringing in an assistant from his own coaching tree who is used to coordinating the offense without the responsibility of calling plays. Hopefully Dillingham will work wonders with the QBs, allowing Gus to have a fully stocked cupboard to go to. Time will tell. I still expect it to be either Gatewood or Nix to come out on top in that battle, depending upon how much Gatewood has picked up the offense and how quickly Nix will be able to do so. 

In any case, I look forward to discovering how this will all play out. It's going to be a long offseason, but it starts as of now for us.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:50 AM, James Howell said:

High school coach.  

Not for the last 13 seasons, he hasn't been. And he's won a lot of awards at the college level, both as an assistant and a head coach, so...

Archived