Jamel Dean Declares for the Draft

aujeff11

Congrats to Jamel. Good luck and go ball out in the pros young man.

I hate to see him go but completely understand.  I hope he finishes his education either at Auburn or another school.  I wish him the very best at the next level and in all his future endeavors. 

I was really hoping he would stay. I wasn't expecting it, but hoping for it... 

The big one is going to be when #5 decides to declare or return. But Dean was the Brown or DeShaun Davis of our DBs. 

Losing Dean is big. Even if Gus gets his mojo back on offense, our defense is going to be a shadow of it's 2018 self. Holding on to Dean, Brown, and Davidson was a huge thing to make our defense respectable in 2019. We just lost one of them. Gus needs to be recruiting the crap out of Davidson and ESPECIALLY Brown if we are to have anything close to resembling our 2018 defense in 2019.

Best of luck JD!  War eagle!

Our biggest recruitment is underway.  If CGM can hold on to some of the talented Juniors it might be a great “recruiting” class.  CGM needs to talk to Tubs and figure out how he got Ronnie and Cadillac to stay for their senior year.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

The big one is going to be when #5 decides to declare or return. But Dean was the Brown or DeShaun Davis of our DBs. 

Losing Dean is big. Even if Gus gets his mojo back on offense, our defense is going to be a shadow of it's 2018 self. Holding on to Dean, Brown, and Davidson was a huge thing to make our defense respectable in 2019. We just lost one of them. Gus needs to be recruiting the crap out of Davidson and ESPECIALLY Brown if we are to have anything close to resembling our 2018 defense in 2019.

Agreed. I wish JD the best and never fault anyone for doing what's best for them. With brown and Davidson, one thing that may help is how deep this year's Dline class is. There is allot of 1st round talent around college football. I did see during the game that I believe was Todd McShaes draft board had D Brown as the#6 overall.....I was shocked by that. I mean I believe he is a1st round talent but I thought they had him as late 2nd round. It would definitely benefit them both I think to come back because DB could be a top 5 pick for sure next year.... Davidson could really stand to come back and developed his game a little more

2 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I imagine Brown is 99.9% gone. He did just have a baby and providing for that family will motivate him to go pro. 

Yeah but Brown also knows the importance of a degree from Auburn University, and what that can provide after football. Brown isn't a redshirt junior. He and Davidson started playing as true freshmen. Brown didn't start as a true freshman like Davidson, but he played significantly as a true freshman. I hope he returns. He could play his way into the #1 pick next season. That's money he would never make back being drafted in the middle of the 1st to lower. And I certainly don't see him as a top 5 pick right now. Next season he absolutely could be. That's money he will never have the opportunity to make up. We could also insure him. Hope Gus is pushing that point home to him.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah but Brown also knows the importance of a degree from Auburn University, and what that can provide after football. Brown isn't a redshirt junior. He and Davidson started playing as true freshmen. Brown didn't start as a true freshman like Davidson, but he played significantly as a true freshman. I hope he returns. He could play his way into the #1 pick next season. That's money he would never make back being drafted in the middle of the 1st to lower. And I certainly don't see him as a top 5 pick right now. Next season he absolutely could be. That's money he will never have the opportunity to make up. We could also insure him. Hope Gus is pushing that point home to him.

I hope he stays. He is one of my favs.

If I recall, his family also seems to be very realistic and down to earth, which will help as he makes this decision. 

Also I understand Dean doing it more than Brown or Davidson. Dean has had real health issues and he needs to get paid before his body breaks down. I absolutely understand that. I selfishly wish he would return, but it's completely understandable from his point. I just hope he doesn't fall to like a 5th or lower. Then he would have a difficulty sticking with a team... Who knows, he may be a future Birmingham Iron player...

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree.... That's why I was so shocked that I saw Todd had him listed as#6 overall....I'm wondering if i misinterpreted that and it was #6 overall DT because that sounds reasonable....I can make 4 DTs off top of my head without thinking about it that should go above brown. But yes he could be overall number 1 with another year, however, he could come back and get hurt badly and never play again. That's why I never fault anyone for taking the chance and going early even if we in the outside think it's better for them to come back... Even an undrafted FA makes$450k I think... That's life changing

3 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

"It's always sumptin.'" ($1 to Roseanne Rosanadana)

Congratulations!  So excited for you Dean.  It was so much fun to watch you grow and bounce back from that knee injury.  Don’t forget to come back and visit us!

3 hours ago, fishepa said:

Seems to always happen to us.  Oh well.  Good luck to him.

What? Guys go and pursue their dream? Seems like a great thing in that case.

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

"It's always sumptin.'" ($1 to Roseanne Rosanadana)

If it's the truth, it's the truth. 

I mean do you realistically think we can lose Dean, Davidson, and Brown and have anything close to fielding as talented a defense next year as this season?

I'm happy for Dean, and as I already have said I fully understand it from his view. Hopefully he and Carlton Davis can both grow into dominant NFL CBs. It would be nice to have two of the too corners in the NFL representing Auburn University.

Archived