Next Year’s OL

WarEagle1982

I really think the O line has a chance to be much improved next season.  I felt like they started coming around toward the end of this season.  I don’t think they committed to staying with the run enough in the UGA game and the Iron Bowl.  I’m excited to see how some of the younger guys progress.  I noticed that during bowl practice that my buddy Kam Stutts got moved to 2nd team at LG and played quite a bit and quite well for about the last half of the 4th quarter.  Jalil Irvin is another one that I expect to see step up and contribute.  Also, if Calvin Ashley is still there it’s time for him to drop a pair and be a dude!

What y’all think?

If Tega sticks around, rather than entering the draft, I think we'll have a stellar offensive line next year, which bodes well for Malzahn's offense. Given that all the starters from this season will be seniors next year, I'm not sure how we'll do going forward, but next season has a chance to be one for the ages.

I think Tega could be a 1st round pick if he would stay another year. He’s started to really improve as a tackle and one more year to refine himself and demonstrate his talent will get him drafted pretty high, especially considering he could be drafted now on size and build alone

45 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

I don’t get why people get down on Ashley, I keep hearing about medical stuff and if that’s the case......maybe he’s doing all he can to sniff the lineup

Rumor on here ( it’s just that. I have no source at all) was that he was soft out of high school and didn’t harden up. 

Yes, the OL did improve towards the end of the season and hopefully that will continue. Personally I would like to see them concentrate on getting a lot stronger during the offseason.

The fact that we likely lose all our starters after next year, combined with how bad our recruiting has been, is what really has me worried. My fear is that when we eventually part ways with Gus the talent deficiency at that unit alone will repel any decent coach. Plus, an 8-4 season (pre-bowl) would, unfortunately, likely be good enough for him to stay. I think it's highly possible, we have reason to believe the offense might be improved next year, but not enough to overcome the schedule. So, would be the worst of both worlds, and I would rather just go 6-6 or worse and be able to start over.

I doubt Ashley ever plays another down of football from the things I've read on other boards. 

But next year's line has the potential to be a good one. Even if Tega is drafted. I still think Trox and Brahms can both be exceptional. I guess people don't realize just how badly they were both injured. It takes time to get back fully healthy after those injuries. I'm still not sold on Driscoll though. He just doesn't seem strong enough or quick enough. He is adequate, he certainly isn't a star, but  doesn't seem to be a liability. And I don't even know what to think about the guards. They both should of been our strong points on this years line, and it sure felt like they were the weakest link, so I don't know what to think about them...

45 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The fact that we likely lose all our starters after next year, combined with how bad our recruiting has been, is what really has me worried. My fear is that when we eventually part ways with Gus the talent deficiency at that unit alone will repel any decent coach. Plus, an 8-4 season (pre-bowl) would, unfortunately, likely be good enough for him to stay. I think it's highly possible, we have reason to believe the offense might be improved next year, but not enough to overcome the schedule. So, would be the worst of both worlds, and I would rather just go 6-6 or worse and be able to start over.

Can't see any of this.  Firsr….any coach who judges a coaching opportunity at AU or any good program based on returning players isn't worth having....would appear to be looking for an easy job and would not do the work needed to compete in this conference.    

And I would never want to see the AU program go in the toilet just to stimulate a coaching change which, when done, might not even improve things.  I just wonder why so many AU fans have so much faith in the ability of some new coach without any idea who that coach might be. :dunno:  totally illogical IMO

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I just wonder why so many AU fans have so much faith in the ability of some new coach without any idea who that coach might be. :dunno:  totally illogical IMO

I think it has to do with the fact that every coach we have hired back to Bowden has either gone undefeated, or has played for a national championship. That gives people hope that a change can spark a championship run. 

And I don't think it's so much that people trust some new unnamed coach. It's just that people are tired of averaging 5 losses per year. People are tired of seeing the same things over and over like rushing up to the line and running it up the centers butt after a first down. Or being told the same things week after week like we had a great week of practice, or the players just didn't execute. Or being told the same thing season after season, being told the future is bright only for it to usually finish with 5 losses.

I think that's what it's about. Not about trusting some coach who isn't here, but about being fed up with the current head coaches tendency to be predictable. 

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I think that's what it's about. Not about trusting some coach who isn't here, but about being fed up with the current head coaches tendency to be predictable. 

I can see that to some extent but not in agreement but the idea that any change is good ?    I can't buy that. ...and while our "new coaches" have had a few very good seasons it's just not in the cards for AU to establish a dynasty....mostly we catch lightning in a bottle every now and then and otherwise we spring some upsets on superior teams and lose some games we should not lose....been doing that for 50 years and not likely to change.     that's just being realistic...not defeatist...our schedule just works against us doing much better.  JMO.  

I agree the OL did get better towards the end of the year. I think we could really be good next year if Tega, Brown and Davidson all come back.

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'm still not sold on Driscoll though. He just doesn't seem strong enough or quick enough. He is adequate, he certainly isn't a star, but  doesn't seem to be a liability.

If I recall, Driscoll was the highest graded OL in the majority of our games.  The most consistent.  

Consistency is the key word. May not be the most talented but Driscoll is a smart guy being able to pick up offense so quickly with relatively few mistakes without messing up the cohesiveness of the OL.  I expect him to  take on more leadership responsibilities next year.  Hope Gus can pick up another SEC ready grad transfer OL with two years of eligibility.  May be a little too much to ask for again.

Just hope Driscoll  can stay healthy..he was a valuable guy to come right in and play.

This is more along the recruiting lines but I think some of the difficulty there has been trying to compete against Saban (you can say what you want but that’s the biggest reason for their success this year) and Smart.  Both those programs are developing O linemen in absolutely unreal ways.  You look at UGA and they are playing true freshman linemen with admirable success.  That level of success has not been shown to the same level at Auburn.  When is the last time a true freshman on the OL came in at AU and stepped right in and played with success? 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

When is the last time a true freshman on the OL came in at AU and stepped right in and played with success? 

Lee Ziemba?  so 2007? 

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

This is more along the recruiting lines but I think some of the difficulty there has been trying to compete against Saban (you can say what you want but that’s the biggest reason for their success this year) and Smart.  Both those programs are developing O linemen in absolutely unreal ways.  You look at UGA and they are playing true freshman linemen with admirable success.  That level of success has not been shown to the same level at Auburn.  When is the last time a true freshman on the OL came in at AU and stepped right in and played with success? 

JMO but AU is not gonna be recruiting at the level of ga and bama no matter who our coaches are. ...and include Clemson in that group JMO.   For better or worse, we need an offensive scheme that does not depend on a powerful OL  

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but AU is not gonna be recruiting at the level of ga and bama no matter who our coaches are. ...and include Clemson in that group JMO.   For better or worse, we need an offensive scheme that does not depend on a powerful OL  

What offensive system is there that does not depend on at least a decent offensive line?

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

What offensive system is there that does not depend on at least a decent offensive line?

Decent ?...or brute strength....not the same thing.   AU and Ole Miss have both beaten bama in recent years with a much inferior OL vs their D by going over or around their DL.    Gotta have the talent no doubt but just suggesting we not try to solve every recruiting problem by firing a coach. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

For better or worse, we need an offensive scheme that does not depend on a powerful OL  

In what way possible can you imagine a better outcome with weaker OLinemen? 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Decent ?...or brute strength....not the same thing.   AU and Ole Miss have both beaten bama in recent years with a much inferior OL vs their D by going over or around their DL.    Gotta have the talent no doubt but just suggesting we not try to solve every recruiting problem by firing a coach. 

I disagree.  The last two times AU has beaten Bama (13 and 17) they did so by lining up and knocking them off the ball.  The 13 OL was as good or better than what Bama has now.  I also am not advocating firing the coach.  I simply think much more emphasis should be placed on it.

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yeah right. And I remember a time when Clemson couldn't recruit at a high level.

clark.jpg

Here's the thing: going into next season, we will be underdogs to six opponents, and understandably so. So most outlets will likely predict 6-6.

IF somehow everyone besides Dean stays, I think our roster would be good enough to pick off two, MAYBE three of those teams if one of them disappoints (I'm not counting MSU as one of those six just because they lose Fitz, and remember, they still technically underachieved this year).

I'm not really going out on a limb here, but I could see next year going anywhere from 4-8 to 9-3.

Archived