All Star Games Thread

ellitor

Keith has a good article on the game so I figured it would be good to post it.

Viewing guide: All-American game info

By Keith Niebuhr

As usual, numerous Auburn signees, commits and targets will compete in the upcoming postseason high school games -- the Under Armour All-America Game and All-American Bowl (formerly the U.S. Army All-American Bowl).

For some, it's their first chance to step out from the local scene and face many of the country's top prospects.

For others, like Auburn quarterback Bo Nix, it's old hat. He has taken part in multiple events for elite recruits this year.

For all of those taking part, it's one final chance to represent your high school -- and also prop up your future home. In last year's Under Armour All-America Game, current Auburn receiver Matthew Hill was one of the game's stars.

What's great about these events from a rankings and evaluation standpoint is the best-on-best component. How does one's arm strength stack up with the others in the class? Can a receiver get separation from top-flight defensive backs? Is a linebacker capable of sticking with high-end running backs? So from that point of view, it's an opportunity during the respective games -- but mostly the practices -- to compare and contrast the top recruits in the country.

Here's a look at the Auburn signees, commits and targets who will compete in these games ...

Also from the Under Armour event practices will be aired on ESPNU Monday Dec. 31st & Tuesday Jan. 1st at 3 PM CT,. The skills challenge will be on ESPN2 Wednesday Jan. 2nd at 5 PM CT.
Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 2

• ellitor featured and pinned this topic

Top performers from Day 1 at Under Armour AA Game

By Greg Biggins

Top Five Offense

1. WR, George Pickens, Hoover (Ala.)- Pickens looks like a college receiver right now. He’s pushing 6-4 and 190 pounds and has an athletic frame with great body control. The Auburn commit aways good for a few highlight reel catches every time out and had multiple impressive plays earlier tonight. When you look at his frame, athleticism and big play ability, there’s aren’t too many receivers with more next level upside.

5. QB, Bo Nix, Pinson Valley (Ala.)- Nix came out firing and had a very good day. He’s always accurate and threw the best deep balls of the day. He’s a mature quarterback with an advanced feel for the position. He never looks rattled and plays with a poise and maturity beyond his years. We could see the Auburn signee competing for playing time as soon as next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Three-Point Stance: Practice begins for Under Armour All-America Game

Mike Farrell • Rivals.com

1. PROSPECTS THAT HAVE STOOD OUT SO FAR

QBs after Day 2

1. Bo Nix, Pinson (Ala.) Valley – Auburn

Nix, who is the No. 1 dual threat quarterback in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, had the best day again, and a large part of it was his decision making and his ability to get rid of the ball on time. He had plenty of zip on the throws, his accuracy was good and he made good decisions. He was comfortable and at ease throughout the two hour session.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Size is the reason Pappoe lost his fifth star in our last ranking

I don't know if Pappoe's a 4 or 5 star. But if he lost a star due to his size, how did he ever have it to begin with? It's not like he's shrunk over the last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR said:

I don't know if Pappoe's a 4 or 5 star. But if he lost a star due to his size, how did he ever have it to begin with? It's not like he's shrunk over the last season.

Because he was given the top 30 overall player rating early like in 9th or 10th grade and was expected to grow some but really hasn’t to this point.

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I’m telling you, Nix needs every opportunity to be our starter next year.  Super excited for this kid

• Like 4

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I’m telling you, Nix needs every opportunity to be our starter next year.  Super excited for this kid

He will get a fair shot but unless the OL improves dramatically the logical move would be to not have him start unless he is clearly better than the other QBs. No need to risk shattering his confidence as a true freshman. We will still look to find a plug n play GT QB for next season.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The best guy will start, the opportunity is there. I'm thinking that will be Nix unless Gatewood shows out in Spring practice and Fall camp.

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He will get a fair shot but unless the OL improves dramatically the logical move would be to not have him start unless he is clearly better than the other QBs. No need to risk shattering his confidence as a true freshman. We will still look to find a plug n play GT QB for next season.

I think the OL in the last quarter of the season held up pretty well.  Do you not agree?  I only expect them to improve in the off-season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think the OL in the last quarter of the season held up pretty well.  Do you not agree?

No. OK at best IMO. Plus remember Tega is likely gone. Won't be the same OL. We have to find a quality LT in the Grad Transfer market in the next few months.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No. OK at best IMO. Plus remember Tega is likely gone. Won't be the same OL. We have to find a quality LT in the Grad Transfer market in the next few months.

Watch the Purdue game again and focus on the center. Watch how many times he is laying flat on the ground and how many times his assignment makes or assist in the tackle.   It's surprising

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Watch the Purdue game again and focus on the center. Watch how many times he is laying flat on the ground and how many times his assignment makes or assist in the tackle.   It's surprising

Don't have to watch the game again. I noticed it while it was happening. Also noticed Gus adjusted some by running the ball to the perimeter more than he usually does.

• Like 4

Steve Mariucci high on George Pickens, Owen Pappoe

By Keith Niebuhr

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLORIDA — As a football coach, Steve Mariucci reached the highest level of the profession by becoming head coach of two different NFL organizations. This week, “Mooch” as he affectionately is known, is coaching one of the teams in the Under Armour All-America Game. On his squad — 5-star Auburn linebacker signee Owen Pappoe, 4-star receiver commit George Pickens and 4-star buck signee Derick Hall. Following Wednesday’s practice, Auburn Undercover caught up with Mariucci and he shared his thoughts on Pappoe and Pickens. Note: the game is 5:30 p.m. CT Thursday and will be broadcast on ESPN2.

• Like 1

Top performers from Day 2 at Under Armour AA Game

By Greg Biggins

Top Five Defense

2. DL, Charles Moore, Louisville (Miss.)- We didn’t mention Moore yesterday but after watching video of every one on one rep, we definitely should have. He played well and was even more impressive today winning just about every rep in convincing fashion. He can play inside or outside and showed a nice burst and get off. The Mississippi State commit is rated the No. 105 prospect in the 247Sports Composite and No. 87 by 247Sports.

News and Notes:

*He didn’t make our top five offensive performers but Pinson Valley (Ala.) quarterback and Auburn signee Bo Nix was our top quarterback of the day for the second straight day. Nix is the most polished quarterback in the camp and the most accurate as well.

*There was very little separating the receiver group today. George Pickens, Theo Wease and Stanley King all could have easily made our top five offensive performers and had strong showings. Pickens wasn’t as dominant as he was Sunday but still got open a ton and caught everything.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 6:00 AM, abw0004 said:

He will be afforded every opportunity to beat out Gatewood. If he wins the job, I hope he is as capable of a runner as Ehlinger even though he is probably 20 pounds lighter. 

Bo Nix excited about his future at Auburn

By Keith Niebuhr

ORLANDO, FLORIDA -- Auburn 4-star quarterback signee Bo Nix of Pinson Valley (Ala.) liked what he saw from the Tigers in their bowl win over Purdue on Friday. They key to Auburn's success? "I think they just played together as a team and they converted on third down, didn't really have negative plays and they had explosive plays at the same time," Nix said. "They were able to throw the ball deep and effectively run the ball and that's why they scored so much." Nix, an early enrollee who signed with the Tigers last week during the Early Signing Period, will take part in the Under Armour All-America Game on Thursday (5 p.m. CT on ESPN2) in central Florida. In this video interview with Auburn Undercover on Saturday during check-in day for the event, Nix covered a wide range of topics, from new Auburn quarterbacks coach Kenny Dillingham, who recently visited with Nix, to his friendship with Tigers receiver commit George Pickens to the young talent Auburn is likely to return on offense in 2019.  Nix spoke to us for over 4 minutes. We hope you enjoy his insight.