UCLA fires Steve Alford

GwillMac6

These blue blood type of jobs are the only ones I am worried that Pearl would leave us for. (more like terrified lol) 

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

These blue blood type of jobs are the only ones I am worried that Pearl would leave us for. (more like terrified lol) 

I have no basis for my opinion, but I just don’t see Pearl jumping ship.  He has a great thing here at Auburn with the administration 100% behind him through the investigation and willing to do what it takes to be a blue blood.  I would feel confident with him staying here to build his legacy.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

I have no basis for my opinion, but I just don’t see Pearl jumping ship.  He has a great thing here at Auburn with the administration 100% behind him through the investigation and willing to do what it takes to be a blue blood.  I would feel confident with him staying here to build his legacy.  

Well the OG AG was behind him 100%. Leath dumbass was trying to get him canned. Another example of this mans stupidity when it comes to athletics.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well the OG AG was behind him 100%. Leath dumbass was trying to get him canned. Another example of this mans stupidity when it comes to athletics.

You could very well be right, but are we sure Leath wanted him gone?  Maybe I missed an article on that. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

You could very well be right, but are we sure Leath wanted him gone?  Maybe I missed an article on that. 

That stuff does not get put in official articles. But yes we do. It was said numerous times on all the Auburn pay sites by the mods. That was AG first big move as AD was holding his ground on Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s good for AU, but Bruce has waaaaayyyyyy too much baggage to ever get a blue blood job now. No need to worry at all

2 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

It’s good for AU, but Bruce has waaaaayyyyyy too much baggage to ever get a blue blood job now. No need to worry at all

I was hoping that would actually work in our favor! lol. Great to hear Gene! Bruce Pearl IS Auburn.

airplane.gif

Alford has been on the hot seat at UCLA where they live in lala land and still think they should be a basketball power.  The loss to Liberty was just too much for them.

Much as we like him, BP' not gotten anywhere yet into the playoffs.....and UCLA will want (might not get however) someone with some regular success getting t to the sweet 16 or better....or maybe a former pro coach.    JMO but that's not a BP type of job. 

The thing about UCLA is that they want to be back in the blue blood top 5 programs but they’ve been totally unwilling to match the salaries those programs pay out. Plus the cost of living in LA crazy compared to college towns, so they actually need to pay even more if they want a top tier guy. I mean, Bruce was making the same amount as Alford was and AU is traditionally a trash b-ball program. They’re gonna have to stump up some real cash this go round if they want a bonafide coach bc people don’t just view it as a privilege to coach there. 

2 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

How can Pitino be encouraged on any school.

The stink on him has got to still be pretty substantial.

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was hoping that would actually work in our favor! lol. Great to hear Gene! Bruce Pearl IS Auburn.

airplane.gif

I hope the "Blueblood" programs think Bruce has too much "baggage" because I love him at AU. But the hypocrisy of them acting as if Bruce is beneath them is pathetic considering the shenanigans they've been pulling for years. Go Bruce!

55 minutes ago, CR said:

I hope the "Blueblood" programs think Bruce has too much "baggage" because I love him at AU. But the hypocrisy of them acting as if Bruce is beneath them is pathetic considering the shenanigans they've been pulling for years. Go Bruce!

JMO but I doubt it's BP's  " baggage " or several coaches would not have jobs at top schools.   Likely UCLA will want someone with a name who has been to the big dance several times and gotten close a few times without much big name talent....or someone from a noted coaching tree.  And it's a money issue...Alford was way down the list of coaches in the way of salary.     

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but I doubt it's BP's  " baggage " or several coaches would not have jobs at top schools.   Likely UCLA will want someone with a name who has been to the big dance several times and gotten close a few times without much big name talent....or someone from a noted coaching tree.  And it's a money issue...Alford was way down the list of coaches in the way of salary.     

Are you throwing shade at Bruce once again 64!? ! This is 2019 I thought you were done with that! lol

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Are you throwing shade at Bruce once again 64!? This is 2019 I thought you were done with that! lol

you need to go after Loblaw....I was just reflecting on an earlier comment....but when BP gets us to the Elite 8,  let me know and I'll give you my address so you can send me a nice dinner of crow...:)     Meanwhile, I think BP is ours as long as he wants the job. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

you need to go after Loblaw....I was just reflecting on an earlier comment....but when BP gets us to the Elite 8,  let me know and I'll give you my address so you can send me a nice dinner of crow...:)     Meanwhile, I think BP is ours as long as he wants the job. 

I mean sure winning a Sec Title at the worst program in Sec basketball history is not grounds for some crow already?! He had the biggest rebuilding job ever seen in sec basketball picking up the pieces after the absolute carnage barbee left this program. Now you are moving the goal posts and need a elite 8?! Come on 64!!! Bruce is the best thing to ever happen to AU basketball and he is a beast!!! And he has been to the elite 8 without big name talent. The only "name" NBA player he has coached has been Tobias Harris and it was his last year at UT. WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!!! #IstandwithBruce. You can make the argument pound for pound Bruce is the best recruiter in the country or at least one of them getting top flight talent to a basketball graveyard place like AU is.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean sure winning a Sec Title at the worst program in Sec basketball history is not grounds for some crow already?! He had the biggest rebuilding job ever seen in sec basketball picking up the pieces after the absolute carnage barbee left this program. Now you are moving the goal posts and need a elite 8?! Come on 64!!! Bruce is the best thing to ever happen to AU basketball and he is a beast!!! And he has been to the elite 8 without big name talent. The only "name" NBA player he has coached has been Tobias Harris and it was his last year at UT. WAR DAMN BRUCE PEARL!!! #IstandwithBruce. You can make the argument pound for pound Bruce is the best recruiter in the country or at least one of them getting top flight talent to a basketball graveyard place like AU is.

I appreciate your enthusiasm..  :) and I'm sure BP does too....

It's almost like some in here don't think Bruce has coached a non-traditional basketball school to the elite 8............

21 hours ago, AUGoo said:

What’s his plan?

To  be the next UCLA Head Coach, of course!

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's almost like some in here don't think Bruce has coached a non-traditional basketball school to the elite 8............

How many years ago?   I forget?     Meanwhile, glad everyone at AU is happy with BP because the odds of him leaving for UCLA is about zero so don't be so sensitive..   

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

How many years ago?   I forget?     Meanwhile, glad everyone at AU is happy with BP because the odds of him leaving for UCLA is about zero so don't be so sensitive..   

Roughly the same amount of time ago that Gus lovers point to as a reason for why he shouldn't be let go. 

Nobody is being sensitive and it's not about UCLA but it's so puzzling to me that you have consistently been throwing barbs at Bruce throughout his tenure while simultaneously backing Gus. You realize that's how our rivals feel, right? 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Roughly the same amount of time ago that Gus lovers point to as a reason for why he shouldn't be let go. 

Nobody is being sensitive and it's not about UCLA but it's so puzzling to me that you have consistently been throwing barbs at Bruce throughout his tenure while simultaneously backing Gus. You realize that's how our rivals feel, right? 

What's Gus got to do with anything.   The issue is "baggage" and personal history. 

JMO but guess it depends on how you read things..... but please understand that just about  everyone except AU fans think that BP has "baggage" , not just from the three year "show cause penalty" related to Tennessee but also from his refusal to talk to AU about what he knew or suspected about Persons and the need to suspend two  AU basketball players..... which is not that long ago.      

I appreciate what BP has done to raise the status of AU basketball and get fans back engaged.  Just waiting to see where it goes from here....and I'm not worried about UCLA or any other top school taking him...just sayin'

Archived