UCLA fires Steve Alford

GwillMac6

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

you need to go after Loblaw....I was just reflecting on an earlier comment....but when BP gets us to the Elite 8,  let me know and I'll give you my address so you can send me a nice dinner of crow...:)     Meanwhile, I think BP is ours as long as he wants the job. 

how many Elite 8's have Auburn ever been to? 

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

how many Elite 8's have Auburn ever been to? 

I'm thinking just one or two but expect you know.   Would be nice to happen again and hope to see it....:)  

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm thinking just one or two but expect you know.   Would be nice to happen again and hope to see it....:)  

One to my knowledge

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

One to my knowledge

Sounds right..had some good teams before that but for most of the years back in the day you had to win the conference to get in the tournament and Kentucky pretty much owned the SEC and got the automatic bids. and of course on 32 teams for many years.   Big powers mostly still rule but the next level teams have a better chance now and most years there are some surprises who make it.   Loyola last year, and Xavier the year before.   I'd be real happy to see a sweet 16 though. 

It makes me sad just to see speculation of Bruce possibly leaving. It’s on the twitter machine, mainly just as potential candidates. Though.

I think Bruce’s image is rehabbed enough for a big blue blood job as well which kinda sucks. See Calipari NCAA violations everywhere he’s been at. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

It makes me sad just to see speculation of Bruce possibly leaving. It’s on the twitter machine, mainly just as potential candidates. Though.

I think Bruce’s image is rehabbed enough for a big blue blood job as well which kinda sucks. See Calipari NCAA violations everywhere he’s been at. 

JMO but until Chuck Person's trial is done and over there are still issues affecting BP who as we have been told was under FBI instructions not to discuss the case…..so if that's true....it would seem that he knows something relevant...:dunno: which has not been made public.  That might not seem like much to AU people who don't like the school president anyway.....but it's probably very important to other school administrators who might consider hiring him..  JMO. 

The good news for Persons is that the coach at USCw who was nailed for the same thing has plea bargained some kind of favorable settlement which might include only a minor jail sentence.    Persons might make the same plea but until his case has been settled, AU would seem to be in the loop somewhere.  After a bunch of delays, the Persons trial is now set for sometime next month. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-usc-assistant-coach-tony-bland-pleads-guilty-bribery-college-hoops-corruption-case-230800475.html

As for baggage, I think that's not the only issue. Uky hired Cal. Texas Tech hired Bobby Knight. Louisville stuck with Pitino despite his philandering and prostitutes.

But even without baggage, UCLA would not want BP. They will look for someone who can fit in with the West Coast vibe, which is cool, sophisticated, educated, and very secular -- and who can relate to the UCLA alumni and fans. That definitely ain't BP. It's a different world and it's not a BP world.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

As for baggage, I think that's not the only issue. Uky hired Cal. Texas Tech hired Bobby Knight. Louisville stuck with Pitino despite his philandering and prostitutes.

But even without baggage, UCLA would not want BP. They will look for someone who can fit in with the West Coast vibe, which is cool, sophisticated, educated, and very secular -- and who can relate to the UCLA alumni and fans. That definitely ain't BP. It's a different world and it's not a BP world.

Surprised to hear that thought.  I've always thought him a chameleon.  Yankee, Jewish guy from the Northeast fitting right in and well loved wherever he has been.  Looks at home in the heart of Dixie just as much as in Connecticut/ESPN.

I think he stays out of choice.  Appears he loves AU, as he did UT, and loves the SEC.  Unless the $$$ are significantly better, I don't see him going anywhere.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:23 PM, augolf1716 said:

One to my knowledge

Auburn should have won that game. Freakin’ Pervis Ellison.....at least they went on to win the championship. I blame Gus, maybe the mods.

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Auburn should have won that game. Freakin’ Pervis Ellison.....at least they went on to win the championship. I blame Gus, maybe the mods.

Gus this time already blamed the mods for another offense

There are many games (football, basketball, baseball, etc) that Auburn "should have won" but didn't. I'm laying it all on others, because I am not taking the blame.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:51 PM, AU64 said:

What's Gus got to do with anything.   The issue is "baggage" and personal history. 

JMO but guess it depends on how you read things..... but please understand that just about  everyone except AU fans think that BP has "baggage" , not just from the three year "show cause penalty" related to Tennessee but also from his refusal to talk to AU about what he knew or suspected about Persons and the need to suspend two  AU basketball players..... which is not that long ago.      

I appreciate what BP has done to raise the status of AU basketball and get fans back engaged.  Just waiting to see where it goes from here....and I'm not worried about UCLA or any other top school taking him...just sayin'

I'm sure he brings up Gus because he see you turning a blind eye to Gus mediocre coaching and see you finding the silver lining even when there is none and watch you blame anything before you blame Gus. He probably hasn't ever seen you be critical of Gus.

He has saw you take little shots and digs at Pearl who he feels has been a much better coach, and has done a much better job but doesn't seem to get the same support and you both post on the same board that's a fan board of the same school you both support and both coaches coach at this school so it just seems that if you defend bad results the coach who's done a better coaching job would definitely get your support. So Auburn being the base line is what confuses him and the other people who has mentioned it about you and Mikey.  It's confusing

2 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

UCLA might have to go further down their list

Hoiberg seems to be hell bent on staying in the PRO's much like Chip Kelly was with football for awhile until he had no other choice. Even though he needs to go back to college. It is where he will be the most successful.

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure he brings up Gus because he see you turning a blind eye to Gus mediocre coaching and see you finding the silver lining even when there is none and watch you blame anything before you blame Gus. He probably hasn't ever seen you be critical of Gus.

He has saw you take little shots and digs at Pearl who he feels has been a much better coach, and has done a much better job but doesn't seem to get the same support and you both post on the same board that's a fan board of the same school you both support and both coaches coach at this school so it just seems that if you defend bad results the coach who's done a better coaching job would definitely get your support. So Auburn being the base line is what confuses him and the other people who has mentioned it about you and Mikey.  It's confusing

Just a reminder that the discussion was about BP.....and not to argue the point...but one trip to the elite 8 in 14 years of coaching Div 1 is not exactly elite coaching IMO.

Hoping he continues to make progress with AU and things look good for us this season …aided by an SEC that does not look too strong overall. The other good news is that he is not likely to be high on anyone's list to poach from AU anytime soon.  .  As noted by someone ...he fits the SEC well and seems to like it at AU and AU seems to like him.   What mostly impresses me is that he has made basketball fun on campus and probably has it making money too....and that's what matters I guess. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just a reminder that the discussion was about BP.....and not to argue the point...but one trip to the elite 8 in 14 years of coaching Div 1 is not exactly elite coaching IMO.

Hoping he continues to make progress with AU and things look good for us this season …aided by an SEC that does not look too strong overall. The other good news is that he is not likely to be high on anyone's list to poach from AU anytime soon.  .  As noted by someone ...he fits the SEC well and seems to like it at AU and AU seems to like him.   What mostly impresses me is that he has made basketball fun on campus and probably has it making money too....and that's what matters I guess. 

I understand this topic WAS but essentially for that one post at least it was actually about you. But I won't continue to dig at the real issue, just from this answer everyone can see it. It really just one of two things though, if you type two sentences or two pages.

For you to be consistent and maintain your integrity when you post you either have to stop taking issue of criticism with Gus or you have to become more open of praise and kudos to Pearl. Either one or the other or people will think this and occasionally bring it up when they see it. No we were talking about Pearl so when I'm down on him don't mention I'm never down on Gus stuff will ever work with that. One of two things. Period. People notice. Or I guess you could do like Mikey and just fly by for a sec, but he knows he'll get that too. 

I must admit it fascinates me though, not your disdain for pearl but the love for Gus. I imagine you don't know him personally so I wonder what did he do for such loyalty? That's nothing that I'm asking for an answer, it's rhetorical and I ask it to show what I think

Archived