Houston to hire Dana Holgorsen as new Coach.

GwillMac6

Absolute heck of a hire by Houston. Walk off Home Run for sure. I know he used to be OC at houston but WVU is a top 20-25 job in the country.

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

Rich Rodriguez back?

O WOW!!! I never even thought about that. Good idea. He never should of left to begin with. It tanked his career.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O WOW!!! I never even thought about that. Good idea. He never should of left to begin with. It tanked his career.

Maybe WVU comes after Gus?  😂🤣

No way Rich Rod back to West Virginia.. he burned too many bridges on his way to Michigan. 

Holg played hardball with WVU and they didn't blink like Auburn did with Gus. Would like to see WVU get a similar offensive style coach.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Maybe WVU comes after Gus?  😂🤣

!!!!!

dex.gif

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Absolute heck of a hire by Houston. Walk off Home Run for sure. I know he used to be OC at houston but WVU is a top 20-25 job in the country.

I wonder if he has ties or family in Texas? 

24 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Pretty sure the money tree is not native to Morgantown....

Related image

Yep. That’s why Holgerson left.

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

I wonder if he has ties or family in Texas? 

Yes. Holgorsen has family, friends and still owns a home in Houston.  

Dana was likely getting fired after next season so this looks like a self preservation move to me. 

He just wasted his most talented team and only got 8 wins out of them with one of the best QBs in the country. He’s only a few games over .500 in conference in his WVU tenure and has a history of collapsing down the stretch. The AD that hired him is no longer at WVU and he doesn’t have a great relationship with the current AD. We saw a preview of this team without Will Grier and it wasn’t pretty. I think he saw the writing on the wall and left on his own terms.

I can see him having a lot of success at Houston, similar to what UCF has done. Tons of talent in the Houston area means he’ll out talent most teams on his schedule and he will run a wide open offense that excites the fans. Very tough to recruit to WVU, he’ll end up with better raw talent and an easier schedule at Houston. He can use this as a springboard into a higher profile P5 job in a few years. 

A bunch of fans are about to get pissed off, but it's a sad day when the University of Houston had higher standards than Auburn. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25679237/houston-cougars-introduce-new-coach-dana-holgorsen

Meh...at 61-41, he's a 7-5 or 8-4 coach, on average.  UH will have to pay him many millions when the 1st 8-4 season comes along! They just won't put up with that record!  😆

Five coaches since 2011...not a whole lot of stability in that program.

16 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Meh...at 61-41, he's a 7-5 or 8-4 coach, on average.  UH will have to pay him many millions when the 1st 8-4 season comes along! They just won't put up with that record!  😆

lol it is houston. Those coaches all go on to better jobs. Totally different standards.

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:
13 hours ago, penguin149 said:

lol it is houston. Those coaches all go on to better jobs. Totally different standards.

Exactly.  UH has been a Stepping Stone program for years.  This is probably an unprecedented feeling for them to attract a fairly successful P5 coach who wasn't fired from his previous job.  And though Holgerson's record isn't impressive by "blue blood" program standards, he did what he did at West Virginia.  He will probably do well at UH and the the Big 12 will push to bring them into the conference.  Then his TX recruiting can REALLY ramp up.

Only thing with Houston they have a unrealistic standard. I know you should strive for championships but I don't see that happening no matter the coach.

1 minute ago, Southwest said:

Only thing with Houston they have a unrealistic standard. I know you should strive for championships but I don't see that happening no matter the coach.

Working to get in the Big 12...have a major assistant coaching salary "pot" too.....gonna load up the staff to compete.   It's more than just about winning I think.   

Mostly they just have to overcome the anti-texas bias of the non-texas schools in the conference.   

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Working to get in the Big 12...have a major assistant coaching salary "pot" too.....gonna load up the staff to compete.   It's more than just about winning I think.   

Mostly they just have to overcome the anti-texas bias of the non-texas schools in the conference.   

Big 12 won't let them in,they have shown to be just a stepping stone for coaches, the most important thing is although Texas is one of if not top state for recruits, Houston has to be still 5th or 6th best destination. Herman probably would of got them close but I don't see this new guy getting them even top 15. Frittata has publicly said he wants coaches that can get them to championships. 

1 minute ago, Southwest said:

Big 12 won't let them in,they have shown to be just a stepping stone for coaches, the most important thing is although Texas is one of if not top state for recruits, Houston has to be still 5th or 6th best destination. Herman probably would of got them close but I don't see this new guy getting them even top 15. Frittata has publicly said he wants coaches that can get them to championships. 

Understand they have almost $5 to spend on assistants.....so will be interesting ….Big 12 type money.....so guess we will see what H does with it. 

58 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Houston may have a tall mountain to climb getting into the Big 12 according to our ole buddy Pete Thamel.

https://sports.yahoo.com/major-applewhites-job-limbo-reveals-administrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html

On 1/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, Auburn 6 said:

Dana was likely getting fired after next season so this looks like a self preservation move to me. 

He just wasted his most talented team and only got 8 wins out of them with one of the best QBs in the country. He’s only a few games over .500 in conference in his WVU tenure and has a history of collapsing down the stretch. The AD that hired him is no longer at WVU and he doesn’t have a great relationship with the current AD. We saw a preview of this team without Will Grier and it wasn’t pretty. I think he saw the writing on the wall and left on his own terms.

I can see him having a lot of success at Houston, similar to what UCF has done. Tons of talent in the Houston area means he’ll out talent most teams on his schedule and he will run a wide open offense that excites the fans. Very tough to recruit to WVU, he’ll end up with better raw talent and an easier schedule at Houston. He can use this as a springboard into a higher profile P5 job in a few years. 

Springboard to a higher profile P5 job in a few years?!? WVU is a top 25 program. It is in a major conference. You CAN win championships at WVU. You CAN win Heismans at WVU. He didn't need to use Houston as a "springboard" to anywhere, as their former coaches. He was already there. As far as the way normal coaching decisions go, he is going backwards. But he IS going where he is comfortable. He IS going where he already owns a home. He IS going to one of the top 3 states for high school talent. So while he DID technically go backwards (being HC at a top 25 program) to a G5 school, he is going backwards in a forward fashion if that makes sense... 

Like others have said, he probably saw the writing on the wall, and knew his days in Morgantown were numbered.

4 hours ago, Southwest said:

They can win championships absolutely in the American conference. I think Dana is a big enough name where even though he is not known as a great recruiter that cache will help him recruit better than anyone else in the American or close to it. If he wants he can stay here for a decade and win a lot of conference titles.

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

Houston may have a tall mountain to climb getting into the Big 12 according to our ole buddy Pete Thamel.

https://sports.yahoo.com/major-applewhites-job-limbo-reveals-administrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html

So who will be joining Houston in the Big 14 next year?

Archived