Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

Does anyone see more staff changes coming other than the OC?  These usually start happening after signing day is in the books.  My thought is that if one happens it could be Brown, the DB coach.  If you look at his resume he hasn’t stayed many places over a couple of years.

Thoughts?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly do not see any changes with the current staff. Doubt Gus will part with JB. We have a solid staff for the most part with JB being on the borderline so to speak.

I would personally like a new RB coach and a new OL coach.  New guys that are young and can recruit. 

17 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

The cost neutral moves are obviously a challenge. That said, we need a quality OL coach. Gus’ choices of Grimes, Hand & Grimes part #2 have been costly. 

14 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I would personally like a new RB coach and a new OL coach.  New guys that are young and can recruit. 

One thing I'm surprised to learn is that Porter already makes quite a bit more in base salary than Horton does. If Horton and Grimes were to leave, I think that we might be well positioned to get in a couple young, energetic guys like JFD describes above at OLs and TEs/HBacks- or however they would divvy those responsibilities up if Porter slid over to RBs- and keep it cost neutral. (If that stipulation is indeed in place.) Bird has suggested some names of guys exactly like you describe, JFD. I think the OL coach at Tulane might be one. 

Anyways, yeah, agree. 

Even if the "cost neutral" stipulation is in effect, Gus should still be able to make solid replacements on his staff - AU pays it's football coaches top 5 in the entire country IIRC.  So replacements would get plenty of $$, the stipulation shouldn't restrict Gus from going after and acquiring the best available for his staff.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bird has suggested some names of guys exactly like you describe, JFD. I think the OL coach at Tulane might be one. 

Anyways, yeah, agree. 

Alex Atkins

He just took the OC job at Charlotte.

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bird has suggested some names of guys exactly like you describe, JFD. I think the OL coach at Tulane might be one. 

Anyways, yeah, agree. 

Ryan Silverfield

Is still available and one of my 1st preferences.  He's from Memphis and would have some familiarity with Dilly

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Ryan Silverfield

Is still available and one of my 1st preferences.  He's from Memphis and would have some familiarity with Dilly

No offense, but it pisses me off that you put more effort into this search than Gus did. 

Semi-joking. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No offense, but it pisses me off that you put more effort into this search than Gus did. 

Semi-joking. 

No offense taken...I piss a lot of people off. 😁

My top pick if we had decided to make a change at OL coach was Dwayne Ledford. Energetic guy with NFL ties and considered one of the top OL coaches in the country as well as a great recruiter just left N.C. State to take the same job at Louisville:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bigredlouie.com/2018/12/10/reports-nc-state-offensive-line-coach-dwayne-ledford-join-scott-satterfields-staff/amp/

I thought we were happy again with the prospect of an improved offensive line for next year? Why do we want to fire anyone?

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

I thought we were happy again with the prospect of an improved offensive line for next year? Why do we want to fire anyone?

For me it’s about improving recruiting. I think Stacy Searels has been considered a pretty good recruiter. Nothing against J.B. just trying to get better. 

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

Auburn needs vast improvement in OL recruiting and production/execution on the field.  Like NOW, because they are a couple of years behind the likes of our rivals in our own conference.  And if you aren't working non-stop and improving your program every damn day in this league, then you're getting further and further behind.

7 minutes ago, alexava said:

For me it’s about improving recruiting. I think Stacy Searels has been considered a pretty good recruiter. Nothing against J.B. just trying to get better. 

How's Dillinger as a recruiter? I'm wondering if the there was he could develop QB's and recruit the area well. I agree Job number one needs to better line recruiting. But it's a team approach to recruiting. If Grimes can continue to develop our players (which i think he has)  i'm kind of okay with him staying on

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

How's Dillinger as a recruiter? I'm wondering if the there was he could develop QB's and recruit the area well. I agree Job number one needs to better line recruiting. But it's a team approach to recruiting. If Grimes can continue to develop our players (which i think he has)  i'm kind of okay with him staying on

No idea how Dillingham recruits. He is very young plus new to P5/ sec. the jury will be out for quite some time on him. 

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

Well, we know he's never recruited for a top level SEC roster so who knows how he'll pan out.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Manny Diaz just fired the entire offensive staff at Miami. Searels might be available. 

Knowing how much we love researching and dot-connecting on these things...try a Twitter search and see if one of Searels' daughters (if it's the same Taylor) is not only an Auburn student but connected to AU recruiting...and interesting bio for Coach Searels, success beyond "Auburn ties." Did he turn down Auburn once, or was that Rocker? Searels' AU years were my own...

https://hurricanesports.com/staff.aspx?staff=408

(Oh, my...youngest daughter at Auburn, too....class of 2022!!  Very interesting!! But disclaimer...no Al.com went into the forming of this rabbit trail...) 

"cost neutral?" I was under the impression that all of that was nonsense talk. Well not really, but there are plenty on this site that have called that BS, including some in this thread... So Gus didn't renegotiate his contract, but one of the stipulations of the contract renegotiation is in effect? 

LoL this site sure provides me some humor. Some of you flip flop more than my 9 year old over which My Little Pony is her favorite.

I think I'm just going to start posting these when I see that in the future

2828096.jpeg

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Because my Guinea Pigs can recruit better than Grimes. 

781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

I have been a JB Grimes fan for years.  But, I think the game and recruiting have passed him by.  With the availability of Searles, we should go after him and ask JBG to stay on as an offensive analyst.  

I posted this elsewhere but seems more appropriate here...

I'd love for Searels to come home to Auburn.  However (and I could be mistaken) but I thought I've read before that, similar to Dell McGee, he doesn't want to work with Gus.

If I am wrong, then, I hope that they are actively working on trying to hire him.  But I've seen nothing to indicate this... 

Wasn’t Miami OL in a big ol mess? If so, was Searles their recruiting ol?

Archived