Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

On 2/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, I_M4_AU said:

It’s good to have heroes and Bullet was a dog’s dog.  Good for Sir Maxwell.

Sir Maxwell goes absolute nuts when he sees a Chewy pet commercial. He can be in the basement and will come running as fast as his little Corgi legs will carry him to get to the TV!  One of the funniest things I have ever seen. Relatives do not believe me until they pay a visit and see Sir Maxwell glued to the TV. We were watching one of the Twilight Series movies the other night and he went bonkers when he saw all of the giant wolves doing their thing!

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

You don't have to read any more.  He is on "IGNORE" for me.  This function button has been a lifesaver.  You probably know how to do this, but someone had to coach me...click on your name, upper right of screen, go to settings, and go down to the "Ignore/d Users" page.  I've loved AUFamily more even since.  War Eagle!  

Unfortunately, people respond so his posts will often still show up.

I ignored that T-town bammer guy who likes to brag on rivals but people keep responding so I have to close my eyes and go "LALALALALALA....."

10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I ignored that T-town bammer guy who likes to brag on rivals but people keep responding so I have to close my eyes and go "LALALALALALA....."

Hmm...Maybe JB has recruits on ignore

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Unfortunately, people respond so his posts will often still show up.

Would be great if the ignore function also ignored quotes of the ignored person's post.  But, it definitely reduces the amount of drivel you have to read through on here.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Hmm...Maybe JB has recruits on ignore

"Maybe".  I'd say so.  The problem is when you are trying to persuade and convince kids to come to Auburn you have to have relationships.  I don't think the 18 YO kids are meshing with Grimes.  You have to win the kid over and win the family over.  Some think they are 100% going to play in the NFL with the right team and coaching.  Some want someone to take care of their kid for 5 years so that he stays out of trouble and gets a good education.  I think Garner is great as a recruiter because he can be both guys.  For the most part I think our staff is a bunch of men who promote doing things the right way and being Auburn men.  That works for some kids.  What our staff lacks is a real world take the gloves off recruiter that will just tell it like it is.  Yes that includes negative recruiting. Yes that includes playing the recruiting game with low lifes like Kirby Smart who tells a kid not to call other coaches to let them know you ain't coming until 5 minutes prior to your announcement.  This is a business and rival schools do what it takes to succeed.  It sounds great to say we have better men than that, but don't cry when we lose out in the end.  Every year there is at least one kid we want badly that is drawn to another school by an Alpha coach who takes the gloves off.  That kid listens to "Hey man, we are going to be in the playoffs every year here.  You go to Auburn and play for that nerd then it ain't happening."  "Do you really want to chance getting to the next level playing for Gus?"  "We recruit winners here and it shows on the field and in the draft"

Just my opinion but we have a recruiting staff that has too much of one personality.  Sometimes you need to put a different voice in a kids ear and you need that coach to head up the recruitment of that kid.

29 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

"Maybe".  I'd say so.  The problem is when you are trying to persuade and convince kids to come to Auburn you have to have relationships.  I don't think the 18 YO kids are meshing with Grimes.  You have to win the kid over and win the family over.  Some think they are 100% going to play in the NFL with the right team and coaching.  Some want someone to take care of their kid for 5 years so that he stays out of trouble and gets a good education.  I think Garner is great as a recruiter because he can be both guys.  For the most part I think our staff is a bunch of men who promote doing things the right way and being Auburn men.  That works for some kids.  What our staff lacks is a real world take the gloves off recruiter that will just tell it like it is.  Yes that includes negative recruiting. Yes that includes playing the recruiting game with low lifes like Kirby Smart who tells a kid not to call other coaches to let them know you ain't coming until 5 minutes prior to your announcement.  This is a business and rival schools do what it takes to succeed.  It sounds great to say we have better men than that, but don't cry when we lose out in the end.  Every year there is at least one kid we want badly that is drawn to another school by an Alpha coach who takes the gloves off.  That kid listens to "Hey man, we are going to be in the playoffs every year here.  You go to Auburn and play for that nerd then it ain't happening."  "Do you really want to chance getting to the next level playing for Gus?"  "We recruit winners here and it shows on the field and in the draft"

Just my opinion but we have a recruiting staff that has too much of one personality.  Sometimes you need to put a different voice in a kids ear and you need that coach to head up the recruitment of that kid.

We could consider a "closer" or "enforcer" type that might take things to the "take off the gloves" level. However, there may be other costs and downsides. Look at one of our  favorite rivals, Thuga, and their losing 2 legit "starters anywhere else" in Jacob Eason and Justin Fields. We all know it is a ball-faced lie to tell most high school players that they are going to be a major player as a Freshmen. You have to know that happens with Kirby "Curb Appeal" Smart. It almost seems to be a worse scenario than the  standard "processing" that has been institutionalized at Bama. JMHO

33 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

JMO but you have to make the right pitch to the right kid....there are schools all over who have not won a conference championship in years and yet get a share of the top talent.  Uga and bama are a special case to recruit against....but they are not, or should not be the only competition.    Think what it is like to be at MSU or arky or UK or OM....trying to recruit against the rest of the SEC...yet often they find enough good players to be competitive...and more.  

When someone steals a GP away by enticing a kid to mislead and waste the time and money of opponent coaches and prospective future team mates,    you can call if "alpha" but in my view, what the coaches have done is show the player and his family deceit and dishonesty is a virtue at their school.   

3 minutes ago, au701948 said:

We could consider a "closer" or "enforcer" type that might take things to the "take off the gloves" level. However, there may be other costs and downsides. Look at one of our  favorite rivals, Thuga, and their losing 2 legit "starters anywhere else" in Jacob Eason and Justin Fields. We all know it is a ball-faced lie to tell most high school players that they are going to be a major player as a Freshmen. You have to know that happens with Kirby "Curb Appeal" Smart. It almost seems to be a worse scenario than the  standard "processing" that has been institutionalized at Bama. JMHO

True but it must be nice to lose a Justin Fields because you have someone better.  It is a luxury to lose a top 10 player due to that player knowing he will never contribute because other players are better.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but you have to make the right pitch to the right kid....there are schools all over who have not won a conference championship in years and yet get a share of the top talent.  Uga and bama are a special case to recruit against....but they are not, or should not be the only competition.    Think what it is like to be at MSU or arky or UK or OM....trying to recruit against the rest of the SEC...yet often they find enough good players to be competitive...and more.  

When someone steals a GP away by enticing a kid to mislead and waste the time and money of opponent coaches and prospective future team mates,    you can call if "alpha" but in my view, what the coaches have done is show the player and his family deceit and dishonesty is a virtue at their school.   

Oh no doubt.  And make no mistake it speaks volumes about the integrity of the kid and family as well.  But at the end of the day one team has a game changer at the WR position and the nice team doesn't.  Either Pickens will be so good you can't keep him off the field and he won't care what he did to Auburn in 3 years after signing his NFL contract, or he will be a grade casualty or personality problem and fade away.

For what it's worth, as bad as I hate to say it, I think Picken's made the right choice.  I just don't like or agree with how he did it.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Oh no doubt.  And make no mistake it speaks volumes about the integrity of the kid and family as well.  But at the end of the day one team has a game changer at the WR position and the nice team doesn't.

Guess we will find out what kind of "game changer" he is next year or the year after.    You and I have both seen lots of game changers hardly get in a game.   JMO but we just move on and work with the players we got which looks like a pretty good group.    

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess we will find out what kind of "game changer" he is next year or the year after.    You and I have both seen lots of game changers hardly get in a game.   JMO but we just move on and work with the players we got which looks like a pretty good group.    

Yes I think we will be fine.  But it isn't just GP.  It is the accumulative affect of year after year.  Tre Hill, Clay Webb, Justin Fields and so on.  Eventually if you lose enough players over time then you end up 3-11 against that rival over a 14 year span. That is where we are with UGA right now.  Bad part is that it is only getting worse.

52 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Yes that is true but he kept Fields from going to a rival school.  Sometimes it is great to have two really good QB's and let the dust settle between them.  Meanwhile you keep your rival from getting one of those great QB's and having to play against him. Should Clemson have not told Trevor Lawrence that he would probably start as a Freshman at some point over Kelly Bryant?   It is a business.  If Burger King could do something to make McDonalds go away then they would.

you guys are right, it's all about the relationship 1st and the right message 2nd.   

Unfortunately, you can you have a great coach, but if #1 is not there, #2 will never get through.

Truth is, JB  isn't making connections, thus the relationships aren't being built.   How did we get the two we got?   I am guessing the relationship is built with the area recruiter and they meet JB  who "is out recruiting another area" and not spending a lot of time with them during the recruiting process.    This worked on 2 OL, but we need this to work on 5 or 6 next cycle?   Not gonna happen.  Especially with elite OL prospects.

something has to change.

I have mixed feelings about JB. I think he will be back for 2019, but who knows with what has happened recently with coaching changes. Who would you want to replace JB? If Gus is going to pull the trigger with JB, he needs to act soon and get someone in place and established before spring ball kicks in. I would not be surprised if Kendall Simmons slid into that position.  That seems to be the trend with Gus and his coaching staff.

It's unfathamable (not really) that with the quality of the school, the lack of depth and that all OLinemen are upperclassmen that we can not get OLine prospects lining up at our door this cycle. 

We need to put Woodson, Garner & Twill on recruiting OT prospects and we will see a nice uptick in OT & OL commitments. Woodson is worth his weight in gold and should be given a nice raise. Maybe let JB work with Woodson once we have our foot firmly in the door with a quality OL recruit.  I wonder if UT would have gotten another HC instead of Pruitt, we could have possibly landed Morris and maybe the other 5 star OT they managed to get onboard.

As much as I dislike Pruitt, he does know how to recruit. UT is a team on the rise and will be a force to compete against with recruiting. 2019 is going to be an interesting one. Make it or break it year for Gus and company.

Glad to see we landed a 4 star OL from Georgia. He looks like an interior lineman at 6-3 280. Give him some time in the weight room and get him to around 300 or so pounds, he could be ready for 2022.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I would not be surprised if Kendall Simmons slid into that position.  That seems to be the trend with Gus and his coaching staff.

Dear god, Kendall Simmons is not going to become the OL coach.  He has literally zero coaching experience.  Zero.  He moved back to Auburn and wanted a job; he's an analyst not some guy who's here to get pushed into a role he has zero qualification of filling.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

We need to put Woodson, Garner & Twill on recruiting OT prospects and we will see a nice uptick in OT & OL commitments. Woodson is worth his weight in gold and should be given a nice raise. Maybe let JB work with Woodson once we have our foot firmly in the door with a quality OL recruit.  I wonder if UT would have gotten another HC instead of Pruitt, we could have possibly landed Morris and maybe the other 5 star OT they managed to get onboard.

As much as I dislike Pruitt, he does know how to recruit. UT is a team on the rise and will be a force to compete against with recruiting. 2019 is going to be an interesting one. Make it or break it year for Gus and company.

from what I heard...UT was far worse off that AU for OL needs....hard to honestly tell a freshman that he could come in and start at AU when we have all our starters back.  Think the odds were better for that at UT.  Could be wrong but have a bunch of guys who have been at AU as backups for at least a year and seems that another year working toward a starting job would put them ahead of most incoming freshmen.    

Takes a pretty exceptional freshman to play in the OL about anywhere.   Granted we need some incoming OL but I'm betting the guys we get this year will all be red shirting ...good for the future of course.

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes that is true but he kept Fields from going to a rival school.  Sometimes it is great to have two really good QB's and let the dust settle between them.  Meanwhile you keep your rival from getting one of those great QB's and having to play against him. Should Clemson have not told Trevor Lawrence that he would probably start as a Freshman at some point over Kelly Bryant?   It is a business.  If Burger King could do something to make McDonalds go away then they would.

B Bryant did this a lot at bama in the 70s

19 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes I think we will be fine.  But it isn't just GP.  It is the accumulative affect of year after year.  Tre Hill, Clay Webb, Justin Fields and so on.  Eventually if you lose enough players over time then you end up 3-11 against that rival over a 14 year span. That is where we are with UGA right now.  Bad part is that it is only getting worse.

:bow:

The cumulative affect is exactly why Auburn's currently sits at 3-8 vs UGA/3-7 vs UAT/3-7 vs LSU in the last decade.  It all piles up over time and it's going to continue to get worse with the likes of Jimbo Fisher at aTm, and Dan Mullen now at a former powerhouse like UF, and the killer recruiter Jeremy Pruitt at UT.  Hell, Chad Morris hauled in the best class Arkansas has ever had and he went 2-10 last season.

The overall coaching pedigree stepped up a notch on the ladder in the past 2 yrs, and it will be felt down the road.  Auburn will always "be fine" as long as people are satisfied with watching AU continue on the same historical trajectory of averaging 8 wins/yr with the occasional blip on the radar where they really show out and make it to ATL and beyond.

19 hours ago, metafour said:

Dear god, Kendall Simmons is not going to become the OL coach.  He has literally zero coaching experience.  Zero.  He moved back to Auburn and wanted a job; he's an analyst not some guy who's here to get pushed into a role he has zero qualification of filling.

I agree with your assessment of Simmons, but you never know with Gus these days. I would not want him as OL coach on any good day. Just threw that one out to see where it would stick!  WDE my friend.  Dear God, I do agree with you on this one.

So apparently Horton isn't sticking around in his off the field role. 

Lots thought he would take the role left by Patrick Suddes but apparently that wasn't Horton's plan.

Have we ever reached out to Willie Anderson?  He runs a very successful Offensive Lineman Training Academy in Atlanta.  I think he would be a great OLine Coach.  

On 2/6/2019 at 7:01 PM, ToraGirl said:

You don't have to read any more.  He is on "IGNORE" for me.  This function button has been a lifesaver.  You probably know how to do this, but someone had to coach me...click on your name, upper right of screen, go to settings, and go down to the "Ignore/d Users" page.  I've loved AUFamily more even since.  War Eagle!  

The ignore feature is incredible for forum enjoyment. I suggest the Mods do a list of most ignored users to complement the most popular contributors list.

Could someone explain how is it that a team from the power 5 is only able to sign 5 offensive linemen in 2 years? In 2018, Auburn signed 2 and in 2019, Auburn signs 3. Oh by the way, Auburn has only signed 10 OL in the last 4 years. With signing those those, I bet you more 8-5 records are coming.

Archived