Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell if I did that people would think something must be wrong with me.

You do and we do

42 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I seem to remember that Searles turned us down when he was at UGA. A year or two later, Texas hired him as their OL coach.

I think Searles just got hired by NC...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I know we like to hire former AU …...and this is JMO.....but the AU factor should never enter into the decision.   Among other things, it makes it really tricky if the guy does not turn out as expected....and so, what do you do?       

Go for the best person period.....and forget where he went to school. 

IMP, I think IMO, I think coach Grimes is having trouble recruiting the top 5 star offensive lineman to Auburn. Therefor, Gus needs to hire a new OL coach. 2 names that come to mind are Glen Elarbee of UCF and John Schlarman of Kentucky.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, AU64 said:

I know we like to hire former AU …...and this is JMO.....but the AU factor should never enter into the decision.   Among other things, it makes it really tricky if the guy does not turn out as expected....and so, what do you do?       

#Enlightenment 💡

50 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

What about Luper for RB coach?  Great recruiter, familiar with Gus.

He brought in Dyer back in the day right?

On 1/14/2019 at 1:14 PM, steeleagle said:

Did a horrific job at Miami FWIW.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

What about Luper for RB coach?  Great recruiter, familiar with Gus.

Gus somewhat tried recently but looks like he failed on that one

36 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

He brought in Dyer back in the day right?

Secondary. Gus was the lead recruiter as the OC.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:28 AM, aubaseball said:

This is just my opinion but in the overall picture of football and in particular the SEC, until Saban leaves everyone is playing second fiddle to them.   No matter who auburn hires as an assistant coach,  it’s not going to matter because the team across the state is getting the best players and currently getting great assistant coaches.    

Can't argue with that logic.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Secondary. Gus was the lead recruiter as the OC.

Either way....it was a good move at the time.  Never forget that almost tackle late in the Oregon game where he had the presence of mind to roll off the Oregon tackler without being "down" and continue onward for a major gain. 

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

I seem to remember Searels not being very interested in coming to Auburn. If so what seems to be the problem?

Just never has been the right time. He has no disdain for Auburn. His daughter works in the Auburn recruiting department like Bo Nix sister. I do not want Searels. His lines are always soft it seems like and he is not a great enough recruiter to make up for those average OL's.

Surprised we haven't heard anything on the RB coach search or made a hire by now. Me thinks the beat writers have been cut off since the Gus contract nonsense

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

Surprised we haven't heard anything on the RB coach search or made a hire by now. Me thinks the beat writers have been cut off since the Gus contract nonsense

Lol. He cut them off years ago. Never let them in to begin with. That's why they don't like him and why we generally don't get favorable treatment from our own beat. And it's not like they got any of that contract info from the staff, anyway. It's more likely they got it from Gus's agent. 

What is more interesting to me is that we made this move with Horton without already having the next guy ready to announce. Probably not of much consequence, though. We already have our primary RB target for this cycle locked up and the 2 other guys we're serious about don't seem to be affected by it. Plus, we probably have a qualified guy already on staff in Porter. And, of course, with the head coach calling the plays now...

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What is more interesting to me is that we made this move with Horton without already having the next guy ready to announce. Probably not of much consequence, though. We already have our primary RB target for this cycle locked up and the 2 other guys we're serious about don't seem to be affected by it. Plus, we probably have a qualified guy already on staff in Porter. And, of course, with the head coach calling the plays now...

Guess we will find out but shuffling assignments with existing staff is reasonable and guess there is not a need for another few weeks....until the prep for spring practice begins.   This sounds more like a corporate re-organization to me. 

On 1/14/2019 at 4:00 PM, AU64 said:

Exactly...besisdes, as soon as they hired on at Auburn....Boom!! They now have ties to Auburn!

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Lol. He cut them off years ago. Never let them in to begin with. That's why they don't like him and why we generally don't get favorable treatment from our own beat. And it's not like they got any of that contract info from the staff, anyway. It's more likely they got it from Gus's agent. 

That would assume the move was on Gus’s side and not Horton’s choice. Just saying.

For what it’s worth I would not be the least surprised if we moved someone from an off field position at Auburn to the field. I don’t think this was really a strategic move someone considered in a formulated plan. 

Archived