Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That would assume the move was on Gus’s side and not Horton’s choice. Just saying.

For what it’s worth I would not be the least surprised if we moved someone from an off field position at Auburn to the field. I don’t think this was really a strategic move someone considered in a formulated plan. 

Excellent point.

Only semi-related thought: I wonder if Horton is on a tenure track of some sort at this point?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2019 at 7:42 PM, McLoofus said:

Excellent point.

Only semi-related thought: I wonder if Horton is on a tenure track of some sort at this point?

Don't think coaches have tenure but they do get vested in the state pension plan after some years...and that is worth doing.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't think coaches have tenure but they do get vested in the state pension plan after some years...and that is worth doing.

I think he would have to work a total of 10 years to be vested. Looks like he came to AU in 2013 giveing around 5 years.

Members that choose to terminate their service, prior to retiring, have several options for their retirement contributions.  If a member has already attained plan vestment, they may leave their contributions in the retirement account and apply for retirement normally, once the appropriate qualifications are reached.

If a member has attained at least five years of service credit, they may opt to leave their contributions in the retirement account for a later date of return.  If the member fails to return to qualifying government service after five years, the contributions will automatically be repaid to the member.

Above is from the state web page...might be worth doing for TH....and he has not been cut loose and can continue to build service for his later years if he takes an administrative job for a while. .    

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

Members that choose to terminate their service, prior to retiring, have several options for their retirement contributions.  If a member has already attained plan vestment, they may leave their contributions in the retirement account and apply for retirement normally, once the appropriate qualifications are reached.

If a member has attained at least five years of service credit, they may opt to leave their contributions in the retirement account for a later date of return.  If the member fails to return to qualifying government service after five years, the contributions will automatically be repaid to the member.

Above is from the state web page...might be worth doing for TH....and he has not been cut loose and can continue to build service for his later years if he takes an administrative job for a while. .    

And there is another option. After 5 years out of the system, your account stops earning interest. You may choose to leave your money in the account if you plan to return at some point. Say you have 8 years in the system. If you pull your money at 5 years, your timeline for becoming vested goes back to zero. If you leave it without interest after 5 years, you can return whenever and just have 2 years to be vested. Depending on how much is in the account, the pension could be worth more than what the interest would have been on that money.

I do not want to sound too stupid, but I missed something with Coach Horton. Is he gone or in an off field position?  Thanks for the update!

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I do not want to sound too stupid, but I missed something with Coach Horton. Is he gone or in an off field position?  Thanks for the update!

Off field position. Still on staff. 

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Off field position. Still on staff. 

thanks!  You know, I really thought that Coach Horton was a good coach and good recruiter. Not sure what to make of this.

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

thanks!  You know, I really thought that Coach Horton was a good coach and good recruiter. Not sure what to make of this.

I think he is both...but sometimes a change is good to bring some new energy. :dunno:

14 hours ago, doc4aday said:

You don't sound stupid Doc.

After I ready Jay Tate's piece last week about Luper being at the top of Gus' list, and where he said "AU parted ways with RB coach Tim Horton last week after six seasons."  I was confused about the situation as well. 

It appears Horton was re-assigned to a off-the-field position - but if that's the case why would Tate make it sound like "Auburn parted ways" with him altogether?

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

You don't sound stupid Doc.

After I ready Jay Tate's piece last week about Luper being at the top of Gus' list, and where he said "AU parted ways with RB coach Tim Horton last week after six seasons."  I was confused about the situation as well. 

It appears Horton was re-assigned to a off-the-field position - but if that's the case why would Tate make it sound like "Auburn parted ways" with him altogether?

As of Thursday of last week, Horton had no idea as to what he would be doing at AU. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As of Thursday of last week, Horton had no idea as to what he would be doing at AU. 

Thanks for the info WDE, It sounds like things are up in the air so to speak.  It seems if he was reassigned to an off-the-field role, then he'd have been told what his role would encompass?

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Almost sounds like he was fired without actually being fired. JABA?

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Almost sounds like he was fired without actually being fired. JABA?

I'd like to know if he's still in the facilities, pulling a paycheck, doing administrative type stuff, at a desk/office or not?  Jay Tate reports "AU parted ways" with him, WDEWDE says as of last Thursday Horton didn't know what his job would be relative to AU.  :dunno:

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd like to know if he's still in the facilities, pulling a paycheck, doing administrative type stuff, at a desk/office or not?  Jay Tate reports "AU parted ways" with him, WDEWDE says as of last Thursday Horton didn't know what his job would be relative to AU.  :dunno:

We can't do anything normally.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We can't do anything normally.

I-tried-to-be-normal-once-meme.jpg

Might be as minor as Horton just wanted to get off the field. Might be tired of crap. So Gus allowed him to take an analyst position off the field. Still think Gus might have to make a low hire. Not a lot of good coaches that feel like Gus is on stable ground at this point. 

Could move porter to RB then if we really had some balls go get shane Beamer as TE and special teams coach. Give him a pay bump from OU and if next year goes to crap fire Gus mid season and make Beamer interim coach and do a test run with him. 

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Likely still getting a check or we would have heard otherwise.   But if you look at the size of the Athletic Department Staff, there are admin jobs all over the place including whatever the guy was doing who just left for Tech.  Auburn Sports is a hundred million dollar business and anyone who has worked a company that large should have some idea of the overhead involved.     TH was not among the top paid coaches as I recall from looking at the staff salaries a while back so probably a number of jobs where he could help the program.  

He's not going to be coaching on the field...but he is a college graduate and has been around football a good many years so if Gus wants to keep him (which seems to be the case) it should be no problem creating a job for him that puts his knowledge to use and helps the program.   I'm not worried about him.....JMO but he's gonna do OK. 

Grimes needs to be replaced. If he isn't and we don't get a top RB coach, then that should tell us that Gus care if 2019 is his last year at Auburn or not.

Could even be that Horton is moving inside to take over some of the admistrative duties to help give Gus some extra time to work with the offense. AG referred to this after the iron bowl,  about giving Gus help on the administrative side. Horton is a senior guy, been around the game for a while. I really feel he was actually Gus’s 2nd in command all this time anyway at least administrative wise with player oversite. Understand this is just a possibility not any thing I’ve heard or seen.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Grimes needs to be replaced. If he isn't and we don't get a top RB coach, then that should tell us that Gus care if 2019 is his last year at Auburn or not.

I know no one wants to hear it but I don’t think Gus has as many options as some folks thinks he does at this point.

Trying to connect some dots here:  

- I heard Gus talked with Curtis Luper, but Luper isn't coming.  

- Gus hired a coach from Memphis (whom the HC has a relationship with Gus)

- Gus rehired Coach Grimes, whom he coached with earlier at Auburn

- Gus had hired Chip, who was formerly on staff with Gus

To me, Gus hasn't developed much of a network it seems and couldn't convince Luper to leave TCU.  Luper has been there a while, time to move on?   Maybe I am just overstating the obvious.   Would be nice to have one 'home run' hire on the offensive side besides Porter.     If Gus is gonna struggle to hire, maybe we consider hiring someone like Ronnie Brown (assuming he can recruit).   At least he has name recognition and skins on the wall - couldn't hurt with recruiting.

My choice:  move Porter.   Hire a TE coach (from the Big 12).

The D side is full of rock stars it seems to me.   But I am a homer and I admit it.  

Archived