Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

If Gus is having trouble hiring a RB coach then he should just go ahead and move Porter to RB coach. Then move Kendall to o-line coach to help Grimes and let one of them coach TE's we don't use them any way except for blocking. Your welcome Gus, put my check in the mail.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Porter should be RB coach anyways. Isn't that his strength? Wait. Oh, no. This taking so long can only mean one thing.

He's hiring Onterio McCalebb.

I might be way off, but here's my take on the situation...bear with me.....

The first domino to fall was Patrick Suddes leaving for GT.  Geoff Collins hiring Suddes away from Auburn makes sense.  He brought his OC to GT, so they'll spent the next few seasons transitioning from an option-heavy offense to the spread they ran at Temple.  To efficiently and effectively manage the roster and transition from one to the other, Collins needed a General Manager who is familiar with a spread offense that has a lot of option concepts.  That guy also needs to be familiar with GT's traditional recruiting base, and if Collins could find someone he already knows and trusts, even better.  Patrick Suddes, who is an Atlanta native, meets all those requirements.  He's not an Auburn guy or a Malzahn guy, so he has no real loyalty to either.  And he'll have at least two or three years or job security during the rebuild.

Closer to home, I can't imagine we don't have an interim Assistant AD/Director of Football Operations during the month leading up to NSD.  No clue who it is, but a guy like Tim Horton who has been recruiting coordinator at two SEC schools could probably bung the dike until a permanent replacement is hired, perhaps even take the job officially.

Regarding CTH's old job, I haven't crunched the numbers or anything, but it seems most assistants stick around until after NSD before leaving for new opportunities.  Some of those guys get bonuses if they stick around, and part of that could be denying interest in other jobs.  As many have observed, we have a solid replacement already on staff in Porter, and Burns has coached RBs before.  I wonder if we're waiting until after NSD to make a move, and keeping our options open by not shuffling Porter and Burns before the hire.  Could be the same thing is happening with Horton.  

WDE!

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

What about Curtis Luper coming back.

Very big dollars to make that happen I heard.    However, that would be my first choice.   Strong ties in TX and knows the SEC.  Second would be the Ohio St RB coach, whomever that would be.  I say that for recruiting purposes (assuming we would expand our base a little).  

I doubt anymore changes. This is it. Staff is set for 2019. Will be complete revamp next year. Bad thing is now Steele, RG and T-will will also be casualties  in 2019 and they were dang worth saving.

Had we fired Gus after the IB we could have hired a good HC finished 2019 with at least 8 wins and been set to compete for 2020 and beyond. Now we kicked our self back for at least the next 2 maybe 3 years at best. I hope all the Gus supporters can find time next year to go by and apologize to the young players for supporting him. I hope AG and Leath are also gone along with RH

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Had we fired Gus after the IB we could have hired a good HC finished 2019 with at least 8 wins and been set to compete for 2020 and beyond. Now we kicked our self back for at least the next 2 maybe 3 years at best. I hope all the Gus supporters can find time next year to go by and apologize to the young players for supporting him. I hope AG and Leath are also gone along with RH

I’m a CGM supporter, and the players and the recruits are supporters, so no I won’t be apologizing!

Now that we have a new RB coach and QB coach, Gus still needs to hire a new OL coach. Grimes recruiting isn't showing us anything. I think Grimes only has 1 OL in the fold.

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Now that we have a new RB coach and QB coach, Gus still needs to hire a new OL coach. Grimes recruiting isn't showing us anything. I think Grimes only has 1 OL in the fold.

So you want to get an OL coach from Brewer high ? Look who Gus is bringing in . Definitely not experienced as the coaches moving out. I like Dilly he might be a good coach . Same for Cadillac, but do you really believe any P5 coach out there  would have picked Dilly over Chip or Cadillac over Horton ? Really. Spin it any way you want but these are not logical moves they are desperate moves. SMH 🤦‍♂️ 

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So you want to get an OL coach from Brewer high ? Look who Gus is bringing in . Definitely not experienced as the coaches moving out. I like Dilly he might be a good coach . Same for Cadillac, but do you really believe any P5 coach out there  would have picked Dilly over Chip or Cadillac over Horton ? Really. Spin it any way you want but these are not logical moves they are desperate moves. SMH 🤦‍♂️ 

Didn't know whether to give you the "haha" reaction or "sad" one because this is both.

18 minutes ago, MCPeePants said:

Just facepalm like the rest of us.

lol while that is my real-life reaction, I like giving out the reputation points to all my AU Fam! As far as I know facepalm, dislike, angry, and sad don't boost anyone's rep so I try to avoid using those unless truly warranted :cool:

Lots of schools (including bama) hire coaches who make you shake your head....and so I guess the same explanation is warranted      Kiffen was the best guy NS could find who would work for him.?  

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Lots of schools (including bama) hire coaches who make you shake your head....and so I guess the same explanation is warranted      Kiffen was the best guy NS could find who would work for him.?  

Look you might not be a Kiffen fan but when Saben hired him he has been a HC for two P5 teams. Dilly was in his first OC job at Memphis and  a GA two years before. Cadillac was a junior college coach and a high school coach in his last two stops before moving up to the powerhouse Iron Men of Birmingham. I’m not picking on them and hope they both succeed, but truth is not another P5 team in the country would have give them that position. Yes Gus is in a desperate mode. I hope it works my comment was to say that there was a reason he made these hires and it didn’t have to do with their past experience.

With 2019 most likely being Malzahn's last year at Auburn, the coaches Gus hired are just one year hires. That would answer why Gus didn't go out and hire 5 star coaches who's also great recruiters.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:51 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Look you might not be a Kiffen fan but when Saben hired him he has been a HC for two P5 teams. Dilly was in his first OC job at Memphis and  a GA two years before. Cadillac was a junior college coach and a high school coach in his last two stops before moving up to the powerhouse Iron Men of Birmingham. I’m not picking on them and hope they both succeed, but truth is not another P5 team in the country would have give them that position. Yes Gus is in a desperate mode. I hope it works my comment was to say that there was a reason he made these hires and it didn’t have to do with their past experience.

Your delivery was abrasive in your earlier post, but this one is pretty much spot without the malice IMO.

There again - someone again chose to compare Saban/Malzhan and as we all should know by now, there simply is no comparison between the two HC's in any facet of their management style or how they run a big time SEC football program.  

I think that Dilly is going to be an excellent QB coach. Gus hired Caddy foremost as a recruiting factor that has star quality.  Who knows, he could very well prove to be an excellent RB coach as well. Gus knows his fanny is on the line for 2019, and we will see his best effort since 2013. Does this equate to 10 or more wins? Who knows.  Whatever happens, Gus knows it is all on him and no one else to blame.  I want this team to win and to win big in 2019 regardless who is on the sideline calling the plays.

In the end it is all on Gus and Gus will make or break Gus and no one else. Not to be picky guys, it is Saban & Kiffin. I do not care for either one, but I guess at times I can be a spelling freak at times as my wife and Welsh Corgi, Sir Maxwell would say! Sir Maxwell watches TV more than my wife and me.  He loves watching the Roy Rogers' Show as well as the Lone Ranger. He goes nuts when he sees Roy Rogers' dog Bullet on the silver screen!

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

He loves watching the Roy Rodger Show as well as the Lone Ranger. He goes nuts when he sees Roy Rodger's dog Bullet on the silver screen!

It’s good to have heroes and Bullet was a dog’s dog.  Good for Sir Maxwell.

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think that Dilly is going to be an excellent QB coach. Gus hired Caddy foremost as a recruiting factor that has star quality.  Who knows, he could very well prove to be an excellent RB coach as well. Gus knows his fanny is on the line for 2019, and we will see his best effort since 2013. Does this equate to 10 or more wins? Who knows.  Whatever happens, Gus knows it is all on him and no one else to blame.  I want this team to win and to win big in 2019 regardless who is on the sideline calling the plays.

In the end it is all on Gus and Gus will make or break Gus and no one else. Not to be picky guys, it is Saban & Kiffin. I do not care for either one, but I guess at times I can be a spelling freak at times as my wife and Welsh Corgi, Sir Maxwell would say! Sir Maxwell watches TV more than my wife and me.  He loves watching the Roy Rodger Show as well as the Lone Ranger. He goes nuts when he sees Roy Rodger's dog Bullet on the silver screen!

Ok Doc, it's actually Rogers. :)

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Ok Doc, it's actually Rogers. :)

got me on that one!

After recruiting is over, Gus should fire Kodi Burns and hire a true WR coach who also knows how to hang on to a 5 star recruit.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

After recruiting is over, Gus should fire Kodi Burns and hire a true WR coach who also knows how to hang on to a 5 star recruit.

Your life must be absolutely miserable. I’m not sure I’ve ever read a positive post from you ever. 

46 minutes ago, autkidd1345162876 said:

Your life must be absolutely miserable. I’m not sure I’ve ever read a positive post from you ever. 

You don't have to read any more.  He is on "IGNORE" for me.  This function button has been a lifesaver.  You probably know how to do this, but someone had to coach me...click on your name, upper right of screen, go to settings, and go down to the "Ignore/d Users" page.  I've loved AUFamily more even since.  War Eagle!  

Archived