WarEagle1982

Coaching Staff Changes?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Searles lines are notorious for being sawwwwwwwwwwwwwwft. And is he even that much better of a recruiter than Grimes? I would only want to hire him if he is a Elite recruiter and he is def not that. But I guess he is a lot better than Grimes at crutin because it really is truly hard to be any worse than grimes! lol.

I won't be that hard on Grimes but basically pass on Searles for me. Miami's lines have not been good and their OL recruiting hasn't been all that great either. At least Grimes gets his guys fired up and playing hard, even if the talent isn't always there. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Pretty amazing to see the difference between the approach that Ole Miss and Auburn have taken to fill coaching vacancies. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. The opinion on Searels seems to be very divided. Are some people higher on him just because he's an Auburn guy? 

That's sooooo not important to me. I mean, it's important that we have an Auburn guy here or there, maybe, but we already have those. We need a talented, energetic, hungry guy. He doesn't have to be young- see: Rodney By God Garner- but he needs to be those other things first. If he happens to be an Auburn guy- see: Travis By God Williams- then great. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting. The opinion on Searels seems to be very divided. Are some people higher on him just because he's an Auburn guy? 

That's sooooo not important to me. I mean, it's important that we have an Auburn guy here or there, maybe, but we already have those. We need a talented, energetic, hungry guy. He doesn't have to be young- see: Rodney By God Garner- but he needs to be those other things first. If he happens to be an Auburn guy- see: Travis By God Williams- then great. 

Searels is a good AU guy. But he should not be considered for the AU job. Not at all. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting. The opinion on Searels seems to be very divided. Are some people higher on him just because he's an Auburn guy? 

That's sooooo not important to me. I mean, it's important that we have an Auburn guy here or there, maybe, but we already have those. We need a talented, energetic, hungry guy. He doesn't have to be young- see: Rodney By God Garner- but he needs to be those other things first. If he happens to be an Auburn guy- see: Travis By God Williams- then great. 

Me, too. Seriously. Just love researching... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You know now a days kids who take Drivers Ed don't even have to do the driving test?

 I heard about that and I am jealous. Would be much better taking a road test with your football coach /PE instructor/ Driver’s ED guy. I think all I got was a discount on the insurance or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, casatiger said:

Pretty amazing to see the difference between the approach that Ole Miss and Auburn have taken to fill coaching vacancies. 

Mike MacIntyre is much better than Wesley McGriff AND Rich Rod is better than Phil Longo.  I honestly didn't think Matt Luke had it in him to hire guys of that caliber to a program gutted by NCAA sanctions with thin talent on the roster.

I'm interested to see how OM chooses to fill out their position coaches spots in the next few weeks as the coaching carousel spins like crazy until the last NSD.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have said it several times here, we need a guy with a vision. I love what Kentucky’s coach has done with their OL. He had a vision of what he wanted, developed the recruits, and now has a nice depth chart. Stop going after band aids all the time. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Have said it several times here, we need a guy with a vision. I love what Kentucky’s coach has done with their OL. He had a vision of what he wanted, developed the recruits, and now has a nice depth chart. Stop going after band aids all the time. 

Joey Gatewood could probably coach the offense line!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Joey Gatewood could probably coach the offense line!!

Why yes. Gatewood’s vision is 💯. Your keen eye is truly something to behold.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why yes. Gatewood’s vision is 💯. Your keen eye is truly something to behold.

Love it, spoken like the true President of his fan club, well done sir!!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Searels is a good AU guy. But he should not be considered for the AU job. Not at all. 

WDE,

Has AU ever reached out to Willie Anderson about a possible coaching position?   Word is he is viewed highly by coaches with the work he does at his lineman academy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, keesler said:

Mike MacIntyre is much better than Wesley McGriff AND Rich Rod is better than Phil Longo.  I honestly didn't think Matt Luke had it in him to hire guys of that caliber to a program gutted by NCAA sanctions with thin talent on the roster.

I'm interested to see how OM chooses to fill out their position coaches spots in the next few weeks as the coaching carousel spins like crazy until the last NSD.

They may fail royally, but respect the heck out of the hires.  Similar to the way Clemson approaches hires IMO. Not similar to the way Auburn approaches offensive hires at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Have said it several times here, we need a guy with a vision. I love what Kentucky’s coach has done with their OL. He had a vision of what he wanted, developed the recruits, and now has a nice depth chart. Stop going after band aids all the time. 

That vision starts at the top, that is where we need the clear and concise vision. Stoops has done an excellent job at Kentucky, you’re correct.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Searels is a good AU guy. But he should not be considered for the AU job. Not at all. 

Not arguing cause I don’t know. But why? I thought he was always considered a good one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 7:04 PM, toddc said:

Good to meet another Auburn fan from Athens, we represent pretty well!

Yep, Athens here as well. Rock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve heard this past week Grimes and Horton as probabilities. No names as replacements. Horton has wanted to test waters as HC at a smaller program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tiger79 said:

I’ve heard this past week Grimes and Horton as probabilities. No names as replacements. Horton has wanted to test waters as HC at a smaller program. 

Links please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, alexava said:

Not arguing cause I don’t know. But why? I thought he was always considered a good one. 

Look at the mess Miami's offense including offensive line was this past year.

You will have your answer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Look at the mess Miami's offense including offensive line was this past year.

You will have your answer

Dude been coaching 25 or so years!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexava said:

Dude been coaching 25 or so years!

and? Bad coaches keep getting hired all the time! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

and? Bad coaches keep getting hired all the time! lol

I guess that’s why football sucks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexava said:

Dude been coaching 25 or so years!

Ellis Johnson had coached that long, and had some of the top defenses in the country. He was considered one of the best DCs in the entire country...until he wasn't. 

It isn't THAT odd of a thing that coaches lose their mojo. 

That being said, I have no opinion on him one way or the other, but taking his last gig into account, and I'll take a hard pass. That doesn't mean he couldn't excel here, it's just not a risk I would take.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It isn't THAT odd of a thing that coaches lose their mojo. 

Happens.....game changes and they don't adapt well to it....especially on the defensive side.  Thinking of John Chavis who was an icon and JMO but mostly living off his past reputation. ..like VanGorder, Roof and some others.    And coaching near the top levels is a closed society....HCs keep hiring their friends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, aujeff11 said:

Have said it several times here, we need a guy with a vision.

What? Gus went blind? OMG! I think I need a link -- or a drink -- or both.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...