Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

What? Gus went blind? OMG! I think I need a link -- or a drink -- or both.

No doubt

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s hard to believe that Horton has been looking for a job for 3 years and still hasn’t found one.  

I totally agree with those who have said Gus lacks vision.  

If he is going to be successful at AU, he needs to hire a Asst. HC who communicates a consistent vision, and based on that vision directs player personnel, development, and roster management.  This can free up Gus to work on the offense and be the face of the program.  Without these essential pieces in place all we can hope for is a good season every once in a while under Gus.  

With that said, if it were me, I would replace Grimes with the meanest high energy inspiring OL coach I could find.  And replace Horton with an Asst. HC/TE coach who can do the leg work of leading the program.   And move Porter to RB coach. 🤷‍♂️

Grimes and Horton are the two I think need to be replaced.  Kodi apparently has done better in recruiting but I dont see development in our receivers. Albeit I am no expert.  I also question our S&C. Interested to know what WDW thinks.

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

With that said, if it were me, I would replace Grimes with the meanest high energy inspiring OL coach I could find.  And replace Horton with an Asst. HC/TE coach who can do the leg work of leading the program.   And move Porter to RB coach. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with the first part, but certainly not the second. Essentially we would be paying Malzahn top 5 HC money to be an offensive coordinator? No thanks. 

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Oline coach with the personality of Rush Propst. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Searels is a good AU guy. But he should not be considered for the AU job. Not at all. 

Yep agree completely...always like Stacy but not as a OL coach

17 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

It’s hard to believe that Horton has been looking for a job for 3 years and still hasn’t found one.  

I totally agree with those who have said Gus lacks vision.  

If he is going to be successful at AU, he needs to hire a Asst. HC who communicates a consistent vision, and based on that vision directs player personnel, development, and roster management.  This can free up Gus to work on the offense and be the face of the program.  Without these essential pieces in place all we can hope for is a good season every once in a while under Gus.  

Unless you hire Saban or about a total of three other specific guys, a good season every now and then is all you are EVER going to get. 

This is just my opinion but in the overall picture of football and in particular the SEC, until Saban leaves everyone is playing second fiddle to them.   No matter who auburn hires as an assistant coach,  it’s not going to matter because the team across the state is getting the best players and currently getting great assistant coaches.    

56 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This is just my opinion but in the overall picture of football and in particular the SEC, until Saban leaves everyone is playing second fiddle to them.   No matter who auburn hires as an assistant coach,  it’s not going to matter because the team across the state is getting the best players and currently getting great assistant coaches.    

Except that they didn’t even win their DIVISION just last season.  AU controlled the game against them.

Gus is Gus and a 7-8 win HC with top 10 recruiting classes. What happens if he drops off to top 15-20 classes since developing players is a weakness? The SEC has not been at regular strength for several years. GA is now on a roll, TAM & FL will improve. LSU will improve mainly because of Coach O’s recruiting, not coaching. Both MSU & OM will improve some.  My point is without major adjustments on the O staff 8-win Gus will become 6-win Gus if allowed to stay beyond 2019.  The best managers hire more talented people than themselves or at least people that compliment their weaknesses  Gus finally did this on D with Muschamp/Steele, but seems incapable of hiring O staff members that are as talented and qualified as Steele’s team. Gus wants yes-men that won’t challenge him, is not capable of attracting SEC caliber assistants or just weak at recognizing O staff talent. The Grimes, Hand, Grimes part 2 still infuriates me given how important that position is for the O to be effective. Gus seems incapable of evolving as a HC and most of his problems are on his side of the ball. Can you name any successful HC with this same issue ? I don’t see Gus making any proactive SEC caliber staff moves on O and think it is his only hope for being here in 2020. It’s probably too late anyway, but we shall see    

War Eagle 

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

Except that they didn’t even win their DIVISION just last season.  AU controlled the game against them.

Well if the goal was to only win your division then that would have been great. I doubt they’d trade their Natty for our “title”. We did control that particular game but clearly everyone is playing second fiddle to them. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

Well if the goal was to only win your division then that would have been great. I doubt they’d trade their Natty for our “title”. We did control that particular game but clearly everyone is playing second fiddle to them. 

Agree.....despite his flaws, Gus has been able to beat bama twice recently with far less talent to work with but neither Gus nor anyone else is gonna beat Saban with any regularity IMO...in fact, hardly ever......even KS who has almost as much talent as bama has choked it up when he had opportunities to beat them.   

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Can't argue with that logic.

20 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I agree with the first part, but certainly not the second. Essentially we would be paying Malzahn top 5 HC money to be an offensive coordinator? No thanks. 

That’s true.  And I don’t like it either.  But that was with the premise of “if we are going to be successful with CGM as our HC”.  I just don’t think he possesses the visionary leadership to run the program.  

20 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep agree completely...always like Stacy but not as a OL coach

Who would be your choice? And  would you keep Grimes?

7 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Gus is Gus and a 7-8 win HC with top 10 recruiting classes. What happens if he drops off to top 15-20 classes since developing players is a weakness? The SEC has not been at regular strength for several years. GA is now on a roll, TAM & FL will improve. LSU will improve mainly because of Coach O’s recruiting, not coaching. Both MSU & OM will improve some.  My point is without major adjustments on the O staff 8-win Gus will become 6-win Gus if allowed to stay beyond 2019.  The best managers hire more talented people than themselves or at least people that compliment their weaknesses  Gus finally did this on D with Muschamp/Steele, but seems incapable of hiring O staff members that are as talented and qualified as Steele’s team. Gus wants yes-men that won’t challenge him, is not capable of attracting SEC caliber assistants or just weak at recognizing O staff talent. The Grimes, Hand, Grimes part 2 still infuriates me given how important that position is for the O to be effective. Gus seems incapable of evolving as a HC and most of his problems are on his side of the ball. Can you name any successful HC with this same issue ? I don’t see Gus making any proactive SEC caliber staff moves on O and think it is his only hope for being here in 2020. It’s probably too late anyway, but we shall see    

War Eagle 

My thoughts on this....  Bama is not our measure of success at AU - but they are the gold standard right now.  For all of Gus's failures, I would like to point out a pretty significant fact -  

make 3 lists for me.

1)  list of other SEC coaches you would prefer to have over Gus (I anticipate several)

2) . List of coaches (from anywhere) that you think have an interest in taking a job right between the empire at UAT and the one growing quickly at UGA - having their success judged by their ability to beat these two programs NOW, immediately - knowing the expectations of this fan base.   (I anticipate very few) 

3) . List the active SEC head coaches that have a win vs Saban head to head.  (there is only 1) 

I hate what our offense has looked like most of the past 3 years.  The failures of RB and OL recruiting are nauseating.  The lack of use of tempo for years is beyond comprehension.   These and other decisions have led to losses that the auburn teams of the past several years should not have lost.   There are things about Gus that make me crazy.  But we do have to take a rational look at the world around us.  I am fine with Gus being gone if he continues to drop the ball in 2019 - however acting like he is under qualified for this job is a bit laughable.  Since there are 12 SEC coaches with 0 wins vs Saban and Gus has 2 - and they have both been in the middle of this dynasty in Ttown.  

my thought is... bama fans and Saban will both be happy the day Gus leaves auburn.  

It's really not about win and losses, it's about perception. Gus had a perception of being an offensive genius. People literally used the word genius....so the remedial mistakes with development of players, the running the same plays over and over, not being able to make adjustments on the fly.....things like that is the problem......people can do the Saban gets the best so he'll never lose stuff if they want but even that came from knowing if you play for him you playing for somebody who knows what they are doing and demands the same perfection from himself that he asks from his players. 

How can you wear a title of offensive genius but you can't develop any particular position on the offense? Remember when people thought he was so good with a QB that people argued for him when not wanting guys with the opportunity of working with NFL QB gurus and trainers???? How comical is that now?

12 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

My thoughts on this....  Bama is not our measure of success at AU - but they are the gold standard right now.  For all of Gus's failures, I would like to point out a pretty significant fact -  

make 3 lists for me.

1)  list of other SEC coaches you would prefer to have over Gus (I anticipate several)

2) . List of coaches (from anywhere) that you think have an interest in taking a job right between the empire at UAT and the one growing quickly at UGA - having their success judged by their ability to beat these two programs NOW, immediately - knowing the expectations of this fan base.   (I anticipate very few) 

3) . List the active SEC head coaches that have a win vs Saban head to head.  (there is only 1) 

I hate what our offense has looked like most of the past 3 years.  The failures of RB and OL recruiting are nauseating.  The lack of use of tempo for years is beyond comprehension.   These and other decisions have led to losses that the auburn teams of the past several years should not have lost.   There are things about Gus that make me crazy.  But we do have to take a rational look at the world around us.  I am fine with Gus being gone if he continues to drop the ball in 2019 - however acting like he is under qualified for this job is a bit laughable.  Since there are 12 SEC coaches with 0 wins vs Saban and Gus has 2 - and they have both been in the middle of this dynasty in Ttown.  

my thought is... bama fans and Saban will both be happy the day Gus leaves auburn.  

I have been OFF the Gus Bus for a long time, but there is some validity with what you are saying.  LSU has always recruited near bama level and recently Ga has also but neither have beaten Saban based on that Gus is the second best coach in the SEC. That said Gus also blew the LSU game this year, lost to Tenn. and got beaten badly by bama and we also lost to Miss. State. 

Gus definitely has his weaknesses which many have pointed out ad nauseum (O-Line recruiting especially) but like you I am not sure any other coach would do any better. 

Getting rid of Gus is not easy for a couple of reasons one his contract and two every time the fan base and the behind the scenes Power Brokers decide this is his last year he does something like winning the SEC West and beating both Ga and bama in same year.  I would not be surprised to see him pull off something like that again next year then tank in 2020 when we basically will have lost our whole O-Line.

One thing I will give him credit for is this year he says he owns the O so if it does well we have to give him credit but if it fails again there are no other person to blame he is willing to bet on himself whether a good bet or bad bet is TBD but it shows guts.

12 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

If Auburn's high water mark is 6-13 against the top teams in the conference, we need to rethink how much we're sinking into this football program. Two other coaches managed two wins against Saban. Both are no longer coaching in the SEC. bama and Saban couldn't care less about Malzahn. Even when he's beat them, they still find a way to get the upper hand. I don't know who we get that's "better" than Malzahn because people asking that question are usually looking for another Saban situation. There isn't one. But I look at a lot of fundamental problems we have across our program despite good "stars" in the recruiting game and a coach who doesn't seem to adjust. Now he's finally got his sink or swim moment. If we improve against the schedule he's got next season, he'll be earning that check. If we look like this year against that schedule, we'll be fortunate to get bowl eligible. 

14 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

My thoughts on this....  Bama is not our measure of success at AU - but they are the gold standard right now.   

The first sentence you nail. Firmly.  Squarely.

The second you really miss by a country mile.  They are really glad he is there for he makes the university and program look like a mess.  National perception is that Auburn Football is a complete and total mess, and a program on the decline.

And there are some coaches who would do well at Auburn as they have built successful programs at other schools in their career, not been a fly by night fella, like Gus. Bo Mendenhall at UVA is one.  He rebuilt BYU into a consistent program and is doing the same at UVA.  And UVA has a distinct disadvantage:  Their ballers have to be able to make the scores and the grades to get into UVA and STAY eligible at UVA (UVA is not Duke or UNC, and will let you know that in a heartbeat).  And no, Auburn is not in UVA's sphere when it comes to the quality of education and student, let's not even go there.

The greatest issue at Auburn are the people in charge.  It has some of the poorest leadership I have ever experienced in my life.

When that changes, many other things will change, especially in football. For the better.

22 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I think Saban realizes that a 1 loss Alabama team will always be perceived as “one of the best 4 teams” especially if that loss is to a good Auburn team ( I don’t think he has ever beaten a top ten Auburn team) Alabama basically can go 11-1, without a conference title and they will moonwalk right into the playoff. They will get in whether they win the West or not.

15 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

make 3 lists for me.

This is a nonsense statistic.  Gus has played more games against Saban than any current SEC coach.  

Do you not know any Bama fans?  They want Gus to stay at Auburn forever.  What's a missed SEC West title every once in a blue moon when they're playing for National Championships every season?  

Saban can trust Gus to inexplicably lose a few games to keep AU from being any sort of real threat.  He's probably a bit concerned about what's taking place at aTm, though. 

Archived