Coaching Staff Changes?

WarEagle1982

44 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Saban hasn’t beat a 9 win Auburn team yet. 

#Facts

Which, sadly, is only 7 times since 2000. AUburn, I believe, is capable of so much more. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't really have one for a choice but would not keep Grimes. 

Ah come on give us some names. I would say if there isn't a homerun hire we can make on the o-line then we should keep Grimes.

On 1/6/2019 at 8:28 AM, aubaseball said:

This is just my opinion but in the overall picture of football and in particular the SEC, until Saban leaves everyone is playing second fiddle to them.   No matter who auburn hires as an assistant coach,  it’s not going to matter because the team across the state is getting the best players and currently getting great assistant coaches.    

What's weird is I'd never heard of Mike Lockley or his greatness as an OC until this year - and Tosh Lupoi was always a position coach on defense until NS promoted him to DC.  Saban retooled almost his entire staff after the '17 NC win - he replaced +/- 8 coaches on his staff and damned if they didn't look stronger in several facets of their on-field play.  Saban didn't hire anyone that would be considered a "splash" hire to this staff, although Dan Enos is a fantastic QB coach - but the others weren't anything special or even well known coaches that he poached from other jobs.

17 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

Since there are 12 SEC coaches with 0 wins vs Saban

I think this is going to change in the next year or two.

You have to give CGM a little credit with his offense because he owns almost all the top 10 stats in a lot of AU records! I don’t have a list but I’m sure they could be found in stat tiger(?) posts somewhere. His qbs own 5/6 records for yards in a season and several top 10 records for tds in a season!

17 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

I hate what our offense has looked like most of the past 3 years.  The failures of RB and OL recruiting are nauseating.  The lack of use of tempo for years is beyond comprehension.   These and other decisions have led to losses that the auburn teams of the past several years should not have lost.   There are things about Gus that make me crazy.  But we do have to take a rational look at the world around us.  I am fine with Gus being gone if he continues to drop the ball in 2019 - however acting like he is under qualified for this job is a bit laughable.  Since there are 12 SEC coaches with 0 wins vs Saban and Gus has 2 - and they have both been in the middle of this dynasty in Ttown.  

my thought is... bama fans and Saban will both be happy the day Gus leaves auburn.  

The bama fans absolutely LOVE what AU's offense has looked like over the last 3-4 yrs.  They adore our failures at recruiting RB/OL players AND the inability of our (offensive guru HC) to develop a QB straight out of HS.  The love that Auburn teams rack up inexplicable losses to the likes to first year HC's at Tennessee and look totally inept of defense against a Joe Moorehead lead MSU team and pisses away games to LSU back to back years.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Saban or their fans are hoping and praying for the day when Gus leaves Auburn. 

After that media crapstorm that ensued in the wake of the IB (in which some of our own Mods on here backed up) when our own people (Jay G. Tate/Phillip Marshall/Brandon Marcello) went on a twitter rampage that ultimately painted Auburn and the entire AU Administration in a very poor light - the bammers are as happy as they can be to sit back and watch Auburn self destruct.  

Hell, we can put the UGA/LSU/MSU coaches & fans all in the same boat of hoping CGM stays here forever.

23 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree.....despite his flaws, Gus has been able to beat bama twice recently with far less talent to work with but neither Gus nor anyone else is gonna beat Saban with any regularity IMO...in fact, hardly ever......even KS who has almost as much talent as bama has choked it up when he had opportunities to beat them.   

I don't think UGA has NEAR the talent the turds have. KS has had 2 excellent recruiting classes. The turds have a decade of excellent recruiting. Once Kirby has been there a decade and continues to recruit at his current level, then yeah UGA will be on par with Bama. But they aren't yet. Not even close. 

18 hours ago, jtauburntiger said:

My thoughts on this....  Bama is not our measure of success at AU - but they are the gold standard right now.  For all of Gus's failures, I would like to point out a pretty significant fact -  

make 3 lists for me.

1)  list of other SEC coaches you would prefer to have over Gus (I anticipate several)

2) . List of coaches (from anywhere) that you think have an interest in taking a job right between the empire at UAT and the one growing quickly at UGA - having their success judged by their ability to beat these two programs NOW, immediately - knowing the expectations of this fan base.   (I anticipate very few) 

3) . List the active SEC head coaches that have a win vs Saban head to head.  (there is only 1) 

I hate what our offense has looked like most of the past 3 years.  The failures of RB and OL recruiting are nauseating.  The lack of use of tempo for years is beyond comprehension.   These and other decisions have led to losses that the auburn teams of the past several years should not have lost.   There are things about Gus that make me crazy.  But we do have to take a rational look at the world around us.  I am fine with Gus being gone if he continues to drop the ball in 2019 - however acting like he is under qualified for this job is a bit laughable.  Since there are 12 SEC coaches with 0 wins vs Saban and Gus has 2 - and they have both been in the middle of this dynasty in Ttown.  

my thought is... bama fans and Saban will both be happy the day Gus leaves auburn.  

1. Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, Dan Mullin, Derrick Mason, Mark Stoops, and Jimbo Fisher. I'd love to say Muschamp, but I feel he and Gus are on par, and I don't feel hiring him would be worth the money. I feel, we would get a little better recruiting with Muschamp and a better defense but I dunno about offense. 

2. ANY coach who wants to be rich. Coaches aren't scared of competition. We have a history of paying top dollar. And we pay even more to make them go away. So if they excel, they can become the coach that dethroned Saban. If they fail, they never HAVE to coach again, we would pay them 10 lifetimes worth of salary to go away. 

You guys act like coaches are scared of Saban and Smart. They aren't or they wouldn't be coaching major college football 

3. Gus. So? Gus has played Saban more than any coach in the conference. 

4. Your thought is "bama fans and Saban will both be happy the day Gus leaves auburn." You are flat out wrong. I can't believe anyone would write that with a straight face. Bama fans LOVE Gus being our coach. They didn't like it at first, but they SURE DO now. Nothing would make the rec happier than Malzahn being our coach for the next 20 years. 

58 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Ah come on give us some names. I would say if there isn't a homerun hire we can make on the o-line then we should keep Grimes.

Even if there isn't a home run hire available, Grimes needs to be replaced again. Gus already replaced him once. Grimes didn't leave to coach with his son. That was the feel good story pushed by sunshine pumpers. The fact is Gus offered Grimes an off the field position. Gus was hiring Hand regardless. Gus pushed Grimes out for his buddy, Herb. That didn't work out, but the worst hire Gus COULD make, he did. He hired Grimes back... The same Grimes Gus pushed out the first time. The same Grimes that couldn't recruit better than my Guinea Pigs. The issues we are going through right now on the OL, we are going through because of Grimes putrid recruiting. Of the 5 starters, Grimes recruited  Horton, Harrell, and Kim. There are a couple more OL that he recruited, Carr and Hamm but neither of them play much, if at all. Grimes hasn't recruited a high school OT that would end up starting during his entire history of coaching at Auburn. Grimes has recruited OG and C pretty well, but his OT recruiting, at Auburn has been just terrible. Looking through all the classes he was the OL coach, he has only recruited a couple of players projected to be OTs. One is Horton a starting OG. Sharp and Hamm are about the only OTs he has recruited out of high school.

57 minutes ago, keesler said:

What's weird is I'd never heard of Mike Lockley or his greatness as an OC until this year - and Tosh Lupoi was always a position coach on defense until NS promoted him to DC.  Saban retooled almost his entire staff after the '17 NC win - he replaced +/- 8 coaches on his staff and damned if they didn't look stronger in several facets of their on-field play.  Saban didn't hire anyone that would be considered a "splash" hire to this staff, although Dan Enos is a fantastic QB coach - but the others weren't anything special or even well known coaches that he poached from other jobs.

Bama has absolutely hired better coaches than us, and it isn't even close. Locksley has coached D1 football since the mid 90s. It doesn't matter that we hadn't heard of him. He has DECADES of experience, coaching almost every offensive position possible over the years. As far as Lupoi, he has coached defensive lines for pretty much a decade. He was much more highly regarded as a recruiter than a coach. As far as being a DC now, anyone could be a DC for Bama and excel. When you have a 3 deep of 5 stars, the talent you have makes it easier, much easier. 

46 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

2. ANY coach who wants to be rich. Coaches aren't scared of competition. We have a history of paying top dollar. And we pay even more to make them go away. So if they excel, they can become the coach that dethroned Saban. If they fail, they never HAVE to coach again, we would pay them 10 lifetimes worth of salary to go away. 

You guys act like coaches are scared of Saban and Smart. They aren't or they wouldn't be coaching major college football 

1. But who wants to take over the mess that is Auburn (according to some) and deal with our stupid President and the all-powerful PTB AND deal with the expectations of beating both Saban and Smart (and now Fisher too let's not forget) every single season or risk being called a failure of a coach?

is there any legitimate info out there to lead us to believe there will. be any staff changes? seems all talk is about should they change a coach but what reasons do we have to believe there will be any changes

10 minutes ago, Linayus said:

1. But who wants to take over the mess that is Auburn (according to some) and deal with our stupid President and the all-powerful PTB AND deal with the expectations of beating both Saban and Smart (and now Fisher too let's not forget) every single season or risk being called a failure of a coach?

You're right about the stupid president. However, if there is a coaching vacancy soon, there will also be a president vacancy. 

I'm not sure that our PTB are that much more powerful than at other schools. Maybe just not as smart as a few of them. Valid concern either way. 

The expectations out of the gate won't be to beat saban and smart every season. Not sure those will ever be the expectations. But somebody needs to take this football program and find out. Somebody needs to find out whether or not consistently winning the ones you're supposed to will be enough. Nobody seems to want to. 

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

is there any legitimate info out there to lead us to believe there will. be any staff changes? seems all talk is about should they change a coach but what reasons do we have to believe there will be any changes

Reasons to believe: 2

1. Horton's been trying to leave for years
2. The offensive line did not perform up to even middle-of-the-pack SEC standards and our current recruiting class is low on OLs, despite that being a position of need for this cycle.

Legitimate info that change is actually going to happen: 0

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Even if there isn't a home run hire available, Grimes needs to be replaced again

Well I will ask you, who would you replace Grimes with and is realistic that we could hire this person? And do you know for a fact that said person would be better than Grimes?

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Which, sadly, is only 7 times since 2000. AUburn, I believe, is capable of so much more. 

Sounds like you need some Joey G highlights to brighten your spirits.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4006365/5721cc7364e96b638016aa40

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

This is a nonsense statistic.  Gus has played more games against Saban than any current SEC coach.  

Do you not know any Bama fans?  They want Gus to stay at Auburn forever.  What's a missed SEC West title every once in a blue moon when they're playing for National Championships every season?  

Saban can trust Gus to inexplicably lose a few games to keep AU from being any sort of real threat.  He's probably a bit concerned about what's taking place at aTm, though. 

What makes Saban great is that he does not worry about others. He focuses on his process and his only. Jimbo and his style of offense fits right into how Saban defense wants to beat you, so I personally don’t think he is concerned one bit about them. LSU is the same. Auburn has shown when they have a top ten team they can beat him, even with a huge gap in talent. Auburn has to get more consistent at what they want to do and not worry about Saban and others. Just do us, and keep getting better.

3 hours ago, kd4au said:

Ryan Silverfield

tenor.gif

55 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

What makes Saban great is that he does not worry about others. He focuses on his process and his only. Jimbo and his style of offense fits right into how Saban defense wants to beat you, so I personally don’t think he is concerned one bit about them. LSU is the same. Auburn has shown when they have a top ten team they can beat him, even with a huge gap in talent. Auburn has to get more consistent at what they want to do and not worry about Saban and others. Just do us, and keep getting better.

YEP  - AU has to stop blowing games vs LSU & their shrimp boat captain HC & his sidekick Steve Ensminger - kick ass vs the lesser SEC teams with 1st yr HC's in this league i.e. Tennessee/MSU and keep getting better and better. 

Had Gus only lost to uga/uat this season AND won his bowl game then we'd be sitting at 11-2 and a top 10 finish on the season and his arse wouldn't be in the fire with the '19 season looming largely on the horizon.  You just can not put a poorly prepared team on the field (UT/MSU) where the fans/boosters/PTB get nauseous and want to puke in the stands because the product looks so inept.  There's too much money being poured into this program and too much hard work hauling in top 10 recruiting classes. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Ryan Silverfield

tenor.gif

Well we do have one coach from Memphis already so maybe we could add another. Make it happen o feathered one.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, kd4au said:

Well we do have one coach from Memphis already so maybe we could add another. Make it happen o feathered one.

We actually have multiple coaches from Memphis the past couple of years. Dilly Dilly and Marcus Woodson.

After Bird mentioned Ryan Silverfield I did a little research. The Memphis O-Line has been dominant the last 3 years and he has two players graduating Gabe Kuhn and Trevon Tate that may play at the next level. Kuhn was a 2 * and Tate was a 3* , so he has a good eye for talent and can develop players.  Kuhn RG and Tate LT.

Silverfield has a breadth of knowledge in that he has coached at all levels HS, College, NFL.

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

After Bird mentioned Ryan Silverfield I did a little research. The Memphis O-Line has been dominant the last 3 years and he has two players graduating Gabe Kuhn and Trevon Tate that may play at the next level. Kuhn was a 2 * and Tate was a 3* , so he has a good eye for talent and can develop players.  Kuhn RG and Tate LT.

Silverfield has a breadth of knowledge in that he has coached at all levels HS, College, NFL.

Yep, he would be a tremendous upgrade and an amazing hire if Gus could get him on board

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There's no telling who @bigbird actually received this information from. It wasn't me....I didn't know him until mentioned. But it was somebody 🤔

Seriously though he sounds like a good pick. I haven't checked it out but I know Middle Tennessee started a freshman 3 star at left tackle a few years ago and he played so well against Alabama Saban noticed him and gave him kudos....kid was from Florence but him being ready the way he was I thought was a pretty good coaching job

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There's no telling who @bigbird actually received this information from. It wasn't me....I didn't know him until mentioned. But it was somebody 🤔

Seriously though he sounds like a good pick. I haven't checked it out but I know Middle Tennessee started a freshman 3 star at left tackle a few years ago and he played so well against Alabama Saban noticed him and gave him kudos....kid was from Florence but him being ready the way he was I thought was a pretty good coaching job

The other I've tried to push was Alex Atkins. Unfortunately, he just took the OC job at Charlotte. 

When it comes to recruiting offensive linemen, Atkins has a few requirements.

"No. 1, toughness and durability. It's a gritty position, and you need guys who can withstand the game," he said. "Then athleticism. I want a guy, that if he weren't bigger, he could play any position in football."

Archived