remaining 9 or so slots to fill

doc4aday

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

Play it safe. Stay in school. Improve your chances of success. He’s not there yet imo. 

Ah. Never seen punt used in that way before.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ellitor said:

I have seen it or heard it for decades but still have to explain it sometimes. 

On January 2, 2019 at 1:02 PM, mcgufcm said:

There will definitely be a DL or two in the final group.

Hopefully we flip Charles Moore from Miss St

7 hours ago, alexava said:

I have seen it or heard it for decades but still have to explain it sometimes. 

I hear/use it that way all the time. Basically means drop the original plan and go with an alternate plan, right?

59 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

I want to know where these 2-3 OL  are coming from.   Whose on the board? =

Been said many times lately. The only 3 known targets are Kamaar Bell, Juco Bam Oladele, & Dawand Jones. I'm sure the staff has more targets but the who part has not made it to AU reporters yet & thereby not us either. 1 of the OL we take will be a GT and the market for them still has another 4 months remaining so it will be a while before we know there.

I’m not convinced on that last point. If Tega stays, I don’t expect us to sign a GT on the OL, unless an unexpected stud hits the market or it’s a Center. If he goes, I think the odds of signing a GT go to around 100%. 

I’m expecting two more new faces on the OL, even if one is the JUCO kid. Three if Tega leaves. 

39 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I’m not convinced on that last point. If Tega stays, I don’t expect us to sign a GT on the OL, unless an unexpected stud hits the market or it’s a Center. If he goes, I think the odds of signing a GT go to around 100%. 

I’m expecting two more new faces on the OL, even if one is the JUCO kid. Three if Tega leaves. 

Harrell will return at Guard. He started out weak this year but as we learned he was banged up.  Healthy he will be solid next year.

Horton similar to Harrell -  Might see some younger players pushing him.

Kim/Brahm at Center - Both Improved as year went on Kim not strong enough and Brahm should be stronger this year.  Not sure if we will see a new face here.

Driscoll was solid with Troxell as backup so no new faces

Tega is the big question mark. If he returns he will start if he doesn't GT/Troxell/Sharp assuming we can find a stud GT/OT, If not a stud GT/OT I expect Troxell to start.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Apparently neither has Kirby Smart 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hear/use it that way all the time. Basically means drop the original plan and go with an alternate plan, right?

Maybe.but for me it means you take the safe, less risky route. 

22 hours ago, alexava said:

Play it safe. Stay in school. Improve your chances of success. He’s not there yet imo. 

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Here is an Auburn story on the word 'punt'. As a Freshman I'm taking a midterm calculus exam, 10 problems worth 10 points each. This particular AU prof was notorious for giving out tests that were almost impossible to complete in the time allotted and this was no exception. He also happened to be a big AU football fan. 

So I finished the first 9 problems with no issues but time is just about to run out before I can start problem #10. But instead of just leaving #10 blank I quickly draw a football shoe with cleats kicking a football and under the drawing I write one word...PUNT. The prof gave me a 2 point credit on the punt and I end up with a 92. True story.

I used the “punt” metaphor a few days ago..I had a coworker show me a picture on his Facebook page. It was a classmate, friend from years ago. Female of course, changed her profile picture and was smoking hot,especially for her age. He was trying to think of something to comment on it without starting a fight with his wife or pissing off her husband. I told him, if you have to worry about that at all you’d better just punt. Like the pic at most and avoid the drama.

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

I used the “punt” metaphor a few days ago..I had a coworker show me a picture on his Facebook page. It was a classmate, friend from years ago. Female of course, changed her profile picture and was smoking hot,especially for her age. He was trying to think of something to comment on it without starting a fight with his wife or pissing off her husband. I told him, if you have to worry about that at all you’d better just punt. Like the pic at most and avoid the drama.

In that scenario I think I would use the Forest Gump line; “stupid is as stupid does”.

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

Good advice.

I have been in his situation. I never had to ask for advice. But I get it. It's a weird impulse that makes no sense, but I get it. 

If he actually sees her in person, he can tell her in a non-creepy way that she looks great. Anything beyond that and he'd better be ready for whatever happens next. 

35 minutes ago, alexava said:

And, this kind of situation is why I have avoided social media altogether. A social media Luddite, as it were. I do, however, thrive on Bitmoji with known contacts.....and gifs, of course.

Also used as in “out kicked your coverage “ when you go after something you can’t attain!

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Tega is the big question mark. If he returns he will start if he doesn'

See him projected at round 5-7 on one of the forecasts.    Unless he is just anxious to get out of school, another year would seem to be a big help .  He is still pretty raw .   Hope he will stay since Harrell is staying. 

46 minutes ago, toddc said:

Also used as in “out kicked your coverage “ when you go after something you can’t attain!

I certainly out kicked mine.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

See him projected at round 5-7 on one of the forecasts.    Unless he is just anxious to get out of school, another year would seem to be a big help .  He is still pretty raw .   Hope he will stay since Harrell is staying. 

From what Ellitor has said he is leaving so he can bring his family to the US. To do that he needs a job so he can sponsor them. I hope he has talked with an Immigration attorney as I sponsored my brother-in-Law and my sister-In-law and her family many years ago. The sponsor needs a solid income that has been demonstrated over a number of years or a large amount of money.  I am afraid even if he leaves early this year his NFL stock won't he high enough to help him with a large enough bonus to allow him to sponsor his family. 

I hope he is getting good advice on how to help his family and bring them here.  Even when you have a solid income and do all the paperwork it takes time. Assuming he is talking about getting them here with a green card. Both my wife's brother and sister and her family had to wait about 10 years to come after being approved as only so many per year per country unless the process has changed. 

6 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

@mcgufcm the post was assuming Tega leaves because that's where all the info on him is pointing to right now. All my subsequent posts on the OL will be made with that assumption as well unless there is a dramatic chanfge in his mindset the next 11 days which is when he has to make a final decision.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I've always seen it used as a guy or girl landing a significant other physically out of their league. Anytime I hear that phrase I immediately think of Bert Bilema. His punt will probably never land...

110294188_an-pf-carin-07-0814_t630.jpg

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I've always seen it used as a guy or girl landing a significant other physically out of their league. Anytime I hear that phrase I immediately think of Bert Bilema. His punt will probably never land...

I might post my own picture 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:39 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

I agree that it would be huge but not like signing a 4-5 start recruit which we should be doing.... They would be here 3-4 years to kick A and take names

Wasn’t that what all world Calvin Ashley was supposed to do?

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

If I didn't know better my first thought would be that ole Bret has a very pretty daughter. Then at finding out they're married my second thought would be "are arranged marriages still happening?". 😁

Archived