remaining 9 or so slots to fill

doc4aday

I can’t believe how bad LB recruiting has went this year outside of OP. Everyone is talking about the OL but LB recruiting has been similar this year. Missed on everyone 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DonDraper said:

I can’t believe how bad LB recruiting has went this year outside of OP. Everyone is talking about the OL but LB recruiting has been similar this year. Missed on everyone 

Who did we miss on at LB? Trezman maybe? How many did you feel like we needed to take this class? 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Who did we miss on at LB? Trezman maybe? How many did you feel like we needed to take this class? 

Trez, We missed on Kalen Deloach i think....and imsure some of the more in the loop guys would be more insightful but i think we were in the chase for Nakoby Dean from mississippi

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

Trez, We missed on Kalen Deloach i think....and imsure some of the more in the loop guys would be more insightful but i think we were in the chase for Nakoby Dean from mississippi

We didn’t push for Deloach until right before he committed to UF and Nakobe Dean was almost certainly going to UGA even if Mom said she liked AU. Trez was committed to UGA when we started pursuing him.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

We didn’t push for Deloach until right before he committed to UF and Nakobe Dean was almost certainly going to UGA even if Mom said she liked AU. Trez was committed to UGA when we started pursuing him.

Yea i knew we were making a push late for KD. And agree on Dean but still a miss, You guys that are in the loop.....what are we getting with O. Brothers? Know much about this kid....that is if we get him anyways?

44 minutes ago, DonDraper said:

We have young quality players that have been developed and have had a good amount of real time playing experience. Those that will be starting are not unproven in the least. OL, on the other hand, is scary when considering ability, development, and experience.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, doc4aday said:

I really hope that Ashley gets his act together and develops into a quality OL whether it be at the guard or tackle position.  If Prince Sammons could get it together as well, would be a huge help along the OL.  Any news on Tega?  IF he comes back, this would be a huge, huge bonus & like signing a quality 4 or 5 star OT.

so glad DB is coming back for his senior season. I hope Davidson, Tega and other players will come back for 2019. If we get Davidson back and Coe healthy, our defense could be special and maybe better than 2018. I hope that DB we be able to recruit the other players to come back for 2019.

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Trez, hopper, dean, deloach. Was hoping for 3 with 3 senior starters leaving along with Richard McBride career ending 

5 hours ago, DonDraper said:

There's a couple of underrated guys in Brothers & Russell the staff likes a lot. Both are expected to get big rating bumps. One is a freak athlete.

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

And decided not to recruit in state 4* LB Vonta Bentley.

1 hour ago, DonDraper said:

Was hoping for 3 with 3 senior starters leaving along with Richard McBride career ending 

You'll get 3. Now is not the time to worry there.

Do we have confirmation RM is career ending?

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Haven’t seen any confirmation but everything I’ve seen makes it seem like he’s done. Would love to have him back

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I've heard both, but trust the guy that said not career ending more. TIFWIW

FWIW the LB target Octavius Brothers is drawing comparisons to former Vandy standout LB & current NFLer Zach Cunningham.

3 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

Hope we get him. Are you going to start a thread on him?

Since I just found out he's a take, yes.

Ideal finish- 

1 WR- Pickens

1 RB- MAR/Griffin

2 OL- 1 guard (Bell), 1 tackle (that JUCO tackle/don’t know of any others/GT tackle) (hopefully a HS OT)

2 LB- Brothers, Russel

2 DL- Cox, Moore

Best available with the last spot (FB/LB Kameron Brown, another OL (preferably tackle), or another DB [Hampton, DJ James] I’d guess) 

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

We have young quality players that have been developed and have had a good amount of real time playing experience. Those that will be starting are not unproven in the least. OL, on the other hand, is scary when considering ability, development, and experience.

I don't think I've ever seen a post as factually inaccurate as this one. The OL has four starters returning, possibly all five depending on what Tega does and a lot of backups. How good they might be is another question, but the warm bodies are there.

Linebacker lost all three starters and McBryde, who should have been a 5th year senior, is questionable with head/neck injury. Returning we have two that have played some, three that played very little and one signee. No other position on the team is as thin as linebacker. (Don't start with the "base defense is two LB's stuff") We use three starters, one may come out at times depending on down and distance, but there are three starting positions and it takes three guys with different skill sets to fill those positions. If we were only two deep with no returning starters at any other position there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth. We desperately need to shore up the LB recruiting this cycle. Pappoe is good but he's only one guy and we need three or four.

44 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Ideal finish- 

1 WR- Pickens

1 RB- MAR/Griffin

2 OL- 1 guard (Bell), 1 tackle (that JUCO tackle/don’t know of any others/GT tackle) (hopefully a HS OT)

2 LB- Brothers, Russel

2 DL- Cox, Moore

Best available with the last spot (FB/LB Kameron Brown, another OL (preferably tackle), or another DB [Hampton, DJ James] I’d guess) 

Don't think this is the staff's ideal FWIW in a couple of spots. With all our non SR DL coming back or leaning to come back it now looks like we take 1 more DL. If we get Moore it looks unlikely we will take Cox as of now. At OT I don't think the juco is a take due to academic concerns. If we do get a transfer OT it appears more likely right now it would be an undergrad transfer instead of a grad transfer.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With all our non SR DL coming back or leaning to come back it now looks like we take 1 more DL.

I know that normally a senior's decision doesn't affect a recruit, but I love the idea of there being an exception at this position group this cycle. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I know that normally a senior's decision doesn't affect a recruit, but I love the idea of there being an exception at this position group this cycle.

Well it will be out of the recruits hands unlike most cases with that phrasing being used.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think I've ever seen a post as factually inaccurate as this one. The OL has four starters returning, possibly all five depending on what Tega does and a lot of backups. How good they might be is another question, but the warm bodies are there.

Linebacker lost all three starters and McBryde, who should have been a 5th year senior, is questionable with head/neck injury. Returning we have two that have played some, three that played very little and one signee. No other position on the team is as thin as linebacker. (Don't start with the "base defense is two LB's stuff") We use three starters, one may come out at times depending on down and distance, but there are three starting positions and it takes three guys with different skill sets to fill those positions. If we were only two deep with no returning starters at any other position there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth. We desperately need to shore up the LB recruiting this cycle. Pappoe is good but he's only one guy and we need three or four.

D857BDC8-49AF-435C-98DD-DD56363923AC.gif

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't think this is the staff's ideal FWIW in a couple of spots. With all our non SR DL coming back or leaning to come back it now looks like we take 1 more DL. If we get Moore it looks unlikely we will take Cox as of now. At OT I don't think the juco is a take due to academic concerns. If we do get a transfer OT it appears more likely right now it would be an undergrad transfer instead of a grad transfer.

I feel like this may be a redundant question, and I don’t mean it to be, but are there any high school OTs we’re even known to be looking at or evaluating? This may have been answered, but I haven’t heard of any lately off the top of my head. What do you think our chances are of signing one? I’m sorry again if you’ve had to answer this multiple times. 

Also, I guess I meant my ideal list. I just like the idea of stocking up both lines of scrimmage. Just my preference though. And Cox is from my area (Mobile/Baldwin County), so I just hope we get him with Moore (who I think is a stud). 

Archived