2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Updated 7/19/19

ORANGE TEXT = Enrolled at Auburn

Added EE for January Enrollies. This class has 9.

QB (1)

4* QB Bo Nix (EE)

RB (1-2)

3* DJ Williams (EE)
4* Mark Antony Richards

HB (1-2)

Zona St. GT Jay Jay Wilson

WR (2)

4* Jashawn Sheffield
4* Ja'Varrius Johnson
Youngstown St. GT Zach Farrar

TE (2) Done!

3* Tyler Fromm (EE)
3* Luke Deal (EE)

OT (2)

3* Justin Osborne

OG/C (2)

4* Keiondre Jones
3* Kamaar Bell

SDE/DT (3)

4* Jaren Handy
4* Charles Moore

Buck DE/LB (1-2)

3* Colby Wooden (EE)
4* Derick Hall (EE)

LB (2-3)

5* Owen Pappoe (EE)
3* Octavius Brothers
3* Kameron Brown

CB (3)

4* Jaylin Simpson
4* Cam'Ron Kelly (EE): Transferred to UNC but since he enrolled at AU he counts to our 25 limit

3* Nehemiah Pritchett

N (1)

4* Zion Puckett (EE)

*23 Enrolled as of 7/19/2019

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4* WR Ramel Keyton seems high on the Tigers #29 Ranked WR and #157 Overall

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-recruiting-ramel-keyton-wide-receiver

The Tigers have made an early impression.

“They talk to me about fit. That’s one thing coach Horton says all the time. It’s all about where you fit. If I fit, I’m going to come,” Keyton said. “When I come up here, it feels like a family up here. It just feels good when I’m here.”

The 6-foot-3, 186-pound wide receiver isn’t in a hurry, however.

He’ll likely drop his top 10 to a top 5 in the spring, but admits many of the schools could shuffle around between now and then. Auburn is one program expected to be a fixture in that top group for Keyton. Ohio State and Clemson are two other safe bets, but again, most of this is fluid.

Keyton said his commitment decision will come “probably after the season,” but it wouldn’t be much after it, if he were to wait that long.

4* SDE Justin Eboigbe, lifetime Auburn fan was visiting as well

Auburn set to host weekend visitor who grew up a Tigers fan

Auburn’s full recruiting attention has turned to its 2019 class.

With National Signing Day complete, the Tigers will — aside from a potential grad transfer or two — focus on prospects who are soon to enter their senior years of high school. Several have already been on campus the last few weekends on unofficial visits and for junior day events.

Another will be there this weekend: 4-star defensive end Justin Eboigbe.

Eboigbe is the No. 9-ranked strongside defensive end and No. 135 overall prospect in the 247Sports ratings. From Forest Park, Ga., the 6-5, 260-pound prospect actually grew up idolizing Auburn players such as Bo Jackson and Cam Newton.

Those types of fandoms rarely matter in recruiting, but it’s still worth noting Auburn could have somewhat of a built-in advantage for a prospect from Georgia. Eboigbe also holds offers from Georgia, Florida and Tennessee, among others.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-mississippi-pickering-jackson

Pickering, well, he’s the ring-leader of the group. The 6-foot-5, 270-pound defensive end is the No. 2 player in the state and the No. 46 overall prospect in the 2019 class.

The first visit aced the eye test, and he plans to take many more.

“The trip was great. Auburn is somewhere I wanted to experience and I loved it,” Pickering said in reference to his junior day visit. “They obviously will be a factor. When I put my top schools out, Auburn will be high on it. I loved it. …  I’ll definitely be back. Anytime I get a chance to come, I’m coming.”

Speaking of Jackson, he was right alongside Pickering for most of their first visit to the Plains.

Auburn offered Pickering on Jan. 8, so he came on the visit with an offer. Jackson made his first trip not knowing for certain whether the Tigers had offer-able interest. Auburn coaches had gone by Jackson’s school during the contact period, and they’d been in regular contact, so he figured the Tigers were close.

It was confirmed during his visit.

“I felt like there was a good chance I’d get [the offer] after they came to the school. They don’t just go anywhere [to recruit]. I was hoping I’d get an offer, and I did,” Jackson said. “It meant a lot. Auburn is a good school, has a great program. It’s a nice fan base. I went to the basketball game and noticed they have a great fan base. Nice coaches, nice people.”

5* LB Owen Pappoe has us in his top 3 now!!!

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-owen-pappoe-top-3

“Auburn is most definitely in it now. After this visit, my head’s just spinning. Just getting to talk to the players, getting to talk to coach T-Will more in-depth out of any time I’ve visited Auburn,” Pappoe said. ” If I had to say three schools right now, I’d say Auburn, Georgia and Clemson.”

His top group isn’t the only difference.

Pappoe had been nearing a decision. He admitted after the Auburn junior day he’ll likely have to adjust when he makes his college choice. Pappoe still expects to choose before his senior season, but it won’t be immediately as he once thought. As he puts it, the decision isn’t “way down the road,” but he needed to “take a step back.”

We made his head spin, entered his top 3, and now he's pushing back his decision date a little...YES

• Like 1

Man I hope our defensive staff keeps recruiting hard. While it's fun to watch the offense score points, I love to see the defense shut down the opponent and a lot of that has to do with the LB position. Come on to Auburn, Pappoe!

• Like 4

One concern of mine is that we just had a huge WR class and we have 22 offers out.  Yet we struggled with OL recruits and all indications are that we need several OL next year and we only have 16 offers out.  How are we not on more OL?

12 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Man I hope our defensive staff keeps recruiting hard. While it's fun to watch the offense score points, I love to see the defense shut down the opponent and a lot of that has to do with the LB position. Come on to Auburn, Pappoe!

There is an awesome class of LBs to do just that! I really do like our odds with Pappoe after reading his interview and it sounds like he may announce in the summer.

@LKEEL75, I think some of our WR offers are just wishful and we know they won't be coming our way. We shall see though. E will give us much more clarity with time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

One concern of mine is that we just had a huge WR class and we have 22 offers out.  Yet we struggled with OL recruits and all indications are that we need several OL next year and we only have 16 offers out.  How are we not on more OL?

Grimes might be a bit slower in his assessment. We have some serious needs on the OL so I expect to see way more offers go out. Once we think we have 4-5 solid WRs that number will drop considerably, I'd expect.

Edited by Linayus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

@LKEEL75, I think some of our WR offers are just wishful and we know they won't be coming our way. We shall see though. E will give us much more clarity with time.

I get that, but why not do the same for the OL?  Why not shotgun blast top OL across country while we wait to make proper assessments of any up and comers?

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

There aren't as many top OL prospects as there are WR prospects. The number that can help us is fewer. Same with DT. Fit big guys that can run aren't very plentiful.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There aren't as many top OL prospects as there are WR prospects. The number that can help us is fewer. Same with DT. Fit big guys that can run aren't very plentiful.

Yup, probably why we move a lot of guys in to DT. I'm happy with this crop of offers. Many more will come and we really have to wait for some clarification before we start treating the list like the one E runs.

I'll keep posting links to the ones that look to be interested.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This one always puzzles me. Every year there are certain positions where there is more talent than others. But there are always multiple elite talents at every position. We are coming off a year of signing 2 linemen. We should already have offers out to virtually every one of the nations top O-linemen. We can say no or pull back later, as can they. 

• Like 3

What constitutes an offer. Is there an Official site that says Auburn offered or are getting this information from the kid. I am not knocking the work Zeke has done as I am really appreciative of the work he has done. I sure don't have the time or the energy to do as much work as he has done. But it seems hard to believe that many offers have already gone out.  At this time of year is an offer more like we have heard about you and believe we might be interested in you why don't you send us some film and talk with us or have the coaches already seen enough to think the player has potential to help us.  I realize as time goes on the coaches narrow it down based on need, priority, interest of the player, etc.

Just to rain on everyone's parade, but UGA is kicking ass in this next class just like they did in 2018.

wde

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

What constitutes an offer. Is there an Official site that says Auburn offered or are getting this information from the kid. I am not knocking the work Zeke has done as I am really appreciative of the work he has done. I sure don't have the time or the energy to do as much work as he has done. But it seems hard to believe that many offers have already gone out.  At this time of year is an offer more like we have heard about you and believe we might be interested in you why don't you send us some film and talk with us or have the coaches already seen enough to think the player has potential to help us.  I realize as time goes on the coaches narrow it down based on need, priority, interest of the player, etc.

No official of a college football program can comment on a recruit before they have signed. The only way we know there is an "offer" out there is if the player says he has an offer. Thus, any unranked third teamer from Podunk High can say he has an offer and the sites may publish it. I suspect that at this point, most "offers" out there are conditional, thus not "committable" offers.

Recruiting lingo is strange. An offer isn't really an offer and a commitment isn't really a commitment. Thus it goes.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/02/will_auburn_alabama_offer_4-st_1.html

Diabate for next offer please

Really don't want us to miss out on this kid that's AT AUBURN HIGH SCHOOL

Sometimes the hardest kids to land are at local high schools. Sometimes they simply want to get away from home, I know I did.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Sometimes the hardest kids to land are at local high schools. Sometimes they simply want to get away from home, I know I did.

Yep. He has almost no interest in playing for AU. We are getting no traction with this kid at all.  

17 hours ago, Linayus said:

Grimes might be a bit slower in his assessment. We have some serious needs on the OL so I expect to see way more offers go out. Once we think we have 4-5 solid WRs that number will drop considerably, I'd expect.

Grimes passed on Jonah Williams. Kid was ready to commit to AU but Grimes told him to wait. One of the biggest gaff's in OL recruiting history. I hope Chip is making the call on who to offer and not Grimes. Good technique coach but that is it. Remember there is a reason he was at U-Conn and not traditional power 5 school. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Grimes passed on Jonah Williams. Kid was ready to commit to AU but Grimes told him to wait. One of the biggest gaff's in OL recruiting history. I hope Chip is making the call on who to offer and not Grimes. Good technique coach but that is it. Remember there is a reason he was at U-Conn and not traditional power 5 school.

Being a cancer survivor had a little something to do with that. He did need to gear down a notch for some time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Then why the heck did Gus hire him AGAIN?

• Thanks 1

If I had to guess, I think Gus sees his team as positioned for a title run next year. If he's right, hiring the best on-field coach is a good decision. You have to pursue titles aggressively when they're possibly on the table. Bama, Oklahoma (mostly because the Big 12 sorta blows) and maybe Clemson are the only teams in country that are actual conference title contenders every season. Every other team, including Ohio State, builds to championship runs, and they have to cash in when it's on the table.

We had a shot last year and whiffed at the end. If Gus thinks we have a real shot next season (likely based on Stidham and the DL we have returning), I can't blame him for going to grab the best on-field guy he can find to shore up the OL's on-field performance. That decision could trickle down to mean you have a hole in OL recruiting a few years down the road, but you won't notice it that impact in 2018 or 2019.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Was easy. Only thing I got. 

What is your opinion of Stacy Searles?  Not just because he played at AU but he seems to have done a good job in coaching and recruiting everywhere he has been.

50 minutes ago, tinman said:

Then why the heck did Gus hire him AGAIN?

Because he's good at what he does and has had time to get back into shape to handle the rigors of coaching in the SEC.

• Like 3