2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

56 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol well this is new.

He has us confused with the University of Auburn. 

So... this week we get a grad transfer O-Lineman and a 2020 Wide Receiver. Good to know that our two worst recruiters are doing work :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

So... this week we get a grad transfer O-Lineman and a 2020 Wide Receiver. Good to know that our two worst recruiters are doing work :).

Kodi isn’t our worst recruiter & hasn’t been.

Edited by ClaytonAU

43 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Kodi isn’t our worst recruiter & hasn’t been.

He was being sarcastic. Or maybe you're driving home a distaste for Grimes. But Grimes has been very busy lately, it seems, which was part of @lionheartkc's sarcasm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He was being sarcastic. Or maybe you're driving home a distaste for Grimes. But Grimes has been very busy lately, it seems, which was part of @lionheartkc's sarcasm. 

What he said.^^^

South Georgia teammates Jaylin Simpson, Jashawn Sheffield say Auburn leads after second spring visit

By Benjamin Wolk, Auburn Recruiting Reporter

AUBURN, Ala. — Jaylin Simpson and Jashawn Sheffield‘s second trip to Auburn gave them similar feelings to the first.

When the Frederica Academy (Ga.) athletes visited in March, Simpson said the Tigers “gave him something to think about.” Sheffield called Auburn his No. 1 school. That was his first trip on the Plains. They made a multi-day trip this weekend with their mothers and high school coach.

In Simpson’s case, making sure mom could give her seal of approval was important.

“I had a great visit, my second visit. I brought my mom and sister so they could see it. They loved it. They feel like it’s a good place for me,” Simpson said. “Just being comfortable with a place that feels like home. My mom liked it, for one. I want to make her proud. She liked it, so I liked it.”

As SEC Country has written, it was likely Simpson would make a decision on his Auburn visit.

That won’t exactly be the case, but he does want to wrap the process up soon.

Simpson will make an announcement Monday morning after he goes home and talks about his top options with his family and coaches. Auburn, Florida State, South Carolina, Miami, Georgia and Clemson are the teams in contention to land Simpson.

As for Sheffield, the timetable isn’t set in stone — but sooner sounds more likely than later. The versatile athlete said it could happen after his football season. Or it could happen in the next week or so. The latter seems to be a much likelier possibility.

Auburn has made a significant push here, but Florida State and Tennessee are working to get Sheffield on campus before he makes a final decision.

Those programs will have work to do to jump the Tigers.

“It’s really like family here. I can see they genuinely care about me,” Sheffield said. “They don’t just talk about football. They talk about life, education, the business school. I like that. Other schools haven’t really done that.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

Nation’s No. 70 overall prospect recaps ‘amazing’ visit

AUBURN, Ala. — Tyrique Stevenson visited Auburn earlier this spring on a quick in-and-out stop.

Whatever he saw on that trip was enough to encourage him to return.

The nation’s No. 8 cornerback — No. 70 overall prospect nationally — made it back to Auburn on Saturday with his mother and other family members. They flew up from Miami, and it was the only college stop Stevenson made, though Alabama worked to get him to Tuscaloosa as well.

Stevenson said after his visit that he knew from his first trip that Auburn would be a contender, even though that narrative hasn’t been pushed much publicly.

“I just love how Auburn is. It’s slower from Miami. Everything is just slower. That’s why I wanted to get back up to feel the experience again,” Stevenson said. “It’s amazing. They sat me down. They talked about me being here. They talked about the ups and downs of the program — mostly the ups.”

Stevenson has been recruited heavily by cornerbacks coach Marcus Woodson, safeties coach Greg Brown and tight ends coach Larry Porter. Woodson is the position coach. Brown and Porter are responsible for Stevenson’s South Florida area.

The tag-team effort has put Auburn near the top of Stevenson’s list.

“They’re a factor. They’re definitely one of the choices I’m looking into. They’re going to be in my top 10, probably my top 5 when I drop it,” Stevenson said. “I just came in and spent time with my mom. I spent time with the coaches here. I had a really good time and got a good relationship going.”

Stevenson doesn’t have a third visit set, but he expects it will be in June. Auburn will host Big Cat Weekend on June 2. That’s a likely date to see Stevenson back on the Plains.

If there’s one factor playing in the Tigers’ favor, it’s the probability Stevenson could see the field early in his college career.

“It’s playing time. They’re just showing me I can come in and work hard and do what I have to do to be able to play as a freshman,” he said.

My 3 big notes from the weekend

Here are the three main takeaways I gathered throughout the weekend.

1. Luke Deal really likes Auburn, and so does his family. He took three official visits to Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan earlier this month. One thing is clear: Deal and his family feel comfortable in the South. Deal also doesn’t plan on taking anymore visits between now and his May 25 decision, so Auburn likely got the last laugh. There will be a lot of Clemson buzz because he’s from South Carolina, and those Tigers are ones to watch. But I think Auburn is in a great spot here at a major position of need. Auburn has really struggled recruiting tight ends the last two years, and there’s no question Deal is priority No. 1 at that position.
  2. Auburn wide receiver commit George Pickens returned to the Plains with his mother. He spent some time with coaches and fellow Auburn commit Bo Nix. Pickens is entertaining interest from other schools, but he’s also actively recruiting other players, including the most recent 2020 addition, Kobe Hudson. Let me put my feelings on how solid Pickens is this way: I like Auburn’s chances of flipping Georgia commit Jadon Haselwood more than Georgia’s chances of flipping Pickens. The Bulldogs are the most likely threat for Pickens.
  3. I expect Auburn to land three commitments this week from high-profile athletes in the state of Georgia. Starting Monday, I think there could be plenty of momentum for Auburn on back-to-back-to-back days. It should be fairly obvious (if you read SEC Country regularly) who I think those three commits will be. Regardless, it’ll be nice for the Tigers to dip into the Peach State successfully. It should be a big week for Auburn, maybe the biggest since I started covering the Tigers two years ago.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

This is a really strong assessment from Wolk! Maybe the strongest and most positive one I’ve ever seen him make! Man, am I ever pulling for him to be lit on this one.

• Haha 1

I am ready to see us get some OL commitments as I feel this is our biggest weakness without an answer Webb seems gone to BAMA, Morris to TN and so on.. In other words DB & S seem to have answers of 4 star players, as does LB. 

So how do we fix the weakness because we need it sooner that later. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is a really strong assessment from Wolk! Maybe the strongest and most positive one I’ve ever seen him make! Man, am I ever pulling for him to be lit on this one.

ain't that the truth todd! TODD! TODD!!!!!!!!!!!! He can make keef look like a jeffrey lee sunshine pumper with how he words things when it comes to Auburn recruiting. He is really good at his job and tells us the truth instead of what we want to hear.

16 minutes ago, Roos said:

I am ready to see us get some OL commitments as I feel this is our biggest weakness without an answer Webb seems gone to BAMA, Morris to TN and so on.. In other words DB & S seem to have answers of 4 star players, as does LB. 

So how do we fix the weakness because we need it sooner that later. 

Hire a better recruiter at the OL position. To me it is as simple as that. Grimes is a good coach do not get me wrong buuuuuuuuuuuuuut recruiting is more important in college football imo. Got to have the jimmy and joes.

Agree we can’t keep coming in 2nd place with OL 4 & 5 stars... if we lose on both Morris and Webb in addition to last year OL losses, then the future does not look bright in the OL position.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

2 recruitments aren't comparable.

The only comparison I'm making is that a source felt strongly about the prospect going to one school a few days early from decision and he chooses the other school.

We will do fine and will land our share of quality OLs when the dust settles. I have faith in this coaching staff to bring home the level of talent we need to compete in the SEC West & East as far as that goes.

Edited by doc4aday

16 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The only comparison I'm making is that a source felt strongly about the prospect going to one school a few days early from decision and he chooses the other school.

I don't recall anyone feeling strongly to AU days before he chose UGA. UGA & Vols were getting the pub.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Samau said:

Agree we can’t keep coming in 2nd place with OL 4 & 5 stars... if we lose on both Morris and Webb in addition to last year OL losses, then the future does not look bright in the OL position.

Yup.because those are the only quality OL in the class.

We can't miss on every quality OL in the class but those 2 aren't the end all be al nor spell doom for AU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, aufootball1 said:

TE LUKE DEAL was in Auburn on an official visit.. twitter.com/lukedeal5/stat…  https://247sports.com/Player/Luke-Deal-46049956 

We NEED TE's Super Bad... This commitment NEEDS to happen!!!  

Do we not use a TE much because that's not part of our offense, or is TE not part of our offense because we don't have quality players at TE? Chicken or egg? :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Or is TE not part of our offense because we don't have quality players at TE? Chicken or egg? :)

This one 

48 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do we not use a TE much because that's not part of our offense, or is TE not part of our offense because we don't have quality players at TE? Chicken or egg? :)

Well, when we had CJ, a NFL TE, we sure didn't utilize him very often.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, when we had CJ, a NFL TE, we sure didn't utilize him very often.

A very versatile, uniquely athletic NFL TE at that. Of course, he played on teams that just didn't throw the ball that much, period. Not that that makes it any better.