2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Pretty much  eliminates Auburn for the  OT target they wanted most.

We got in to late.  That seems to be the case with O-Line recruiting. We pick a couple we like we go for them but were not working the next group at same time. When we don't get our 1st choice we wait a while to even start discovering our second choice then we are late to the game. I can't blame Grimes as he came in this year. But we should have had our recruiters last year at least in these kids ears so we would have options.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I can't blame Grimes as he came in this year. But we should have had our recruiters last year at least in these kids ears so we would have options.

You're right. It all is & has been Gus's call when he is ready to move on from his top wants & if he would even take kids on his next tier.

Gus' ability to mismanage a roster is, in a weird way, inspiring. I think I'd rather just have a guy that did it the conformist way though🤔

• Haha 1

CGM may be about to have his best 5* class 

https://auburn.247sports.com/LongFormArticle/The-5-star-signees-of-Gus-Malzahn-as-Auburn-coach-128248271/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190124_111448_Auburn Tigers&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=99-FD-B8-99-12-20-A9-E2-F9-3F-82-B8-8B-2F-6B-53190124_111448AuburnTigers

Gus Malzahn to have his best 5-star haul at Auburn?

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 3 hours ago 

8 Comments

Auburn's 2019 recruiting class could be a memorable one when it comes to one major thing of note: Five-star recruits.

Should Auburn hang onto receiver commit George Pickens of Hoover (Ala.), who did not sign with the Tigers during the Early Signing Period in December, that would give Auburn three 247Sports Composite 5-stars for the first time in the Gus Malzahn era. Linebacker Owen Pappoeand quarterback Bo Nix, both 5-stars, already signed and are enrolled in class.

All told, Malzahn has signed nine 5-stars since the 2013 class -- his first at Auburn.

That includes two each in 2013 and 2014.

Of course, not all of those recruits lived up to the hype. As one would expect, the production of the group is a mixed bag.

Some of Malzahn's 5-star signees shined at Auburn. But others fizzed. Some stuck around. Some left the program. One's status currently isn't known.

For what it's worth, more than a few are playing on Sundays.

Will the college production of Nix, Pappoe and Pickens match their lofty 5-star ratings? Only time will tell.

Here's a look at Malzahn's 5-star recruits -- and how they have fared ...

The 5-star recruit committed to Auburn over Georgia on May 1. Late in the cycle, the Tigers held off Tennessee. Pappoe is extremely close with Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams and that relationship was huge in landing his verbal. Also, the opportunity to play early was a contributing factor. Pappoe is one of the most athletic recruits nationally in the 2019 class. He was an Under Armour All-American and a team captain in the game. Pappoe is the No. 25 overall recruit in the country. He enrolled at Auburn earlier this month.

Nix already has started school in Auburn. A 4-star recruit, he committed to the Tigers early last year and never wavered. He’s the state of Alabama's all-time leader in total offense and a two-time state champion. He competed in the recent Under Armour All-America Game in Orlando, Fla., and now will challenge for the starting job at Auburn in the spring. Nix began classes at Auburn earlier this month.

Ashley was redshirted as a freshman following eye surgery but started to show signs of progress last fall. The Auburn right tackle, a former 5-star prospect, started in place of an injured Jack Driscoll against Mississippi State. It was his first college start and the results were mixed. He did well with the run, but straggled in obvious passing situations. But after that game, Ashley left the team and it is not known when or if he will return. His status remains a mystery.

Defensive tackle Derrick Brown is one of Auburn's top players. In 2018, he recorded 45 tackles and 3.5 sacks. The season before, he had 56 tackles with 9 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. He made an immediate impact in his first year with the Tigers. As a true freshman, the 5-star signee from Buford (Ga.) Lanier had 11 total tackles, 1 sack and 1.5 tackles for loss. Brown had a chance to leave Auburn early for the NFL. Many think he would have been a first-rounder. Instead, Brown will return for one more season.

Two recruiting services had defensive end Byron Cowart as the No. 1 recruit in the country (not 247Sports) so when he picked Auburn on National Signing Day it was considered a major score for the Tigers. But Cowart never make a significant impact at Auburn. He was granted his release and left the program last fall, landing at Maryland. In three games last season, he had three total tackles and .5 tackles for loss. During his first two seasons, Cowart recorded 12 total tackles and one tackle for loss with no sacks. He was moved from end to tackle for the 2017 season, then left the program and resurfaced at Maryland. Per Maryland's official site, Cowart in 2018 "started all 12 games on the defensive line ... totaled 38 tackles (18 solo) on the season to go with five tackles for loss and two interceptions ... recorded second interception of the season vs. Michigan State (11/3) ... tallied a tackle for loss vs. Illinois (10/27) ... totaled a career-best seven tackles at #19 Iowa (10/20) ... had a career day against Rutgers (10/13), posting an interception and 2.0 tackles for loss, including a sack ... notched three tackles, a sack and a forced fumble vs. Minnesota (9/22) ... posted five tackles against Temple (9/15) ... had four tackles, including a sack, at Bowling Green (9/8) ... made Terrapin debut starting at defensive end against #23 Texas (9/1), making two tackles."

When Auburn landed 5-star running back Roc Thomas of Oxford (Ala.), Alabama's Mr. Football, it was a huge deal. But Thomas's career with the Tigers never took off and he transferred to Jacksonville State following the 2015 season. Injuries didn't help, but even when healthy Thomas never quite was the player many thought he would be. A few key fumbles in his career certainly didn't help matters. As a true freshman, Thomas showed some promise by rushing for 214 yards. In 2015, he earned the opening-game start vs. Louisville, but was injured in that game and subsequently sustained further injuries later in the season. He finished with 261 rushing and 200 yards receiving. In his first year at Jacksonville State, Thomas rushed for 782 yards. In 2017, Thomas had 178 carries for 1,065 yards and 13 touchdowns. He signed with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent and rushed for 30 yards on eight carries as a rookie.

Tre' Williams was a steady player at linebacker and consistently improved throughout his Auburn career. As a true freshman, he recorded 16 total tackles. In Year 2, he finished with 55. Last season, he had 67 with 36 being solo and 3.5 being tackles for loss. Williams was on the Rotary Lombardi Award watch list for 2017 and finished with 50 tackles, 2.5 sacks and a fumble recovery in 11 games. The issue with Williams wasn't ability. It was that he struggled with injuries. He took a year off from football in 2018 as he recovered from a neck injury. Now, he's looking to make a team in 2019.

A product of Dooly County (Ga.), Montravius Adams, a defensive tackle, had a productive career at Auburn and was a third-round pick of the Green Bay Packers last spring. At Auburn, Adams contributed every season and got progressively better throughout his career. Things really took off for him in 2016, when he lived up to the 5-star hype. That season, Adams recorded 44 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 1 interception and 2 blocked kicks. For his efforts, he was a first-team All-SEC and second-team All-American pick by the Associated Press. A foot injury has slowed him during his rookie season in Green Bay. In 2018, he recorded 20 total tackles (11.5) solo and 1.5 sacks.

A product of Milton (Ga.), Carl Lawson, a defensive end/buck, battled multiple injuries but nontheless had a solid career at Auburn and was a fan favorite. In 2013, Lawson made an immediate impact on the defensive line as a true freshman for Auburn's national runner-up squad. That season, he had 20 tackles and four sacks. His most memorable play came when Lawson stopped Alabama's T.J. Yeldon on fourth-and-1 deep in Auburn territory, keeping alive the Tigers' hopes in the Iron Bowl -- which they eventually won. Lawson missed all of 2014 with an ACL injury and missed much of the following season with another injury. In 2016, finally healthy, Lawson came up big and earned multiple All-SEC honors. The Bengals selected him in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He already has made an impact with that team. He was named to the Pro Football Writers of America All-Rookie Team after recording 8.5 sacks, one shy of the Bengals rookie record. He missed most of the 2019 season after sustaining a serious leg injury.

8COMMENTS

***2019 COMMIT .... HAS NOT YET SIGNED*** If Auburn can hold onto Pickens, an elite talent from Hoover (Ala.), that would give Malzahn his 10th 5-star signee at Auburn. Right now, the Tigers are trying to hold off Florida, Georgia, Miami and Tennessee. Pickens committed to Auburn in July of 2017. He has two official visits remaining.

Edited by toddc

36 minutes ago, toddc said:

And just imagine if 5* OT Wanya Morris would’ve been added to this class. That would’ve changed a lot of people’s perception of this clas, even though I still think it’ll be a really good class. 

On a side note, it makes me so mad that Tennessee is about to bring in 2 5* OTs in this class. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

On a side note, it makes me so mad that Tennessee is about to bring in 2 5* OTs in this class. 

Yup!

tenor.gif?itemid=5902151

• Haha 1

Thanks for fixing this thread @ellitor

I assume it’s you.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Thanks for fixing this thread @ellitor

I assume it’s you.

I created the thread but didn't add the article body because of all the adverts spaced in between each section. That was a Mod or you.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bammers wouldve reported us if we brought 4 5stars in 

Who says they aren't with 3?

• Sad 1

Per the latest article headline on his 247 profile page AU has offered high 3* Wisdom Asaboro. It's likely as an OL. Will wait to see if AU can get him to OV before starting a thread on him but wanted to let you guys know about the offer...

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Per the latest article headline on his 247 profile page AU has offered high 3* Wisdom Asaboro. It's likely as an OL. Will wait to see if AU can get him to OV before starting a thread on him but wanted to let you guys know about the offer...

So...just spit balling here...late offer...are we missing on some other targets?

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So...just spit balling here...late offer...are we missing on some other targets?

Well there was a couple highlights of him at tailback so I assume he is a back-up plan in case MAR picks Georgia or Miami (j/k); E said he might have been  offered as an Offensive Lineman (while there were no highlight's of him there  , he does appear to be athletic & may transition to OL fairly well). 

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

are we missing on some other targets?

Unlikely. If we land Bell & Henry that's 4 OL in the class. We really needed 5-6 for the class. Also while Henry capable of developing into a LT Wisdom has much more potential to do so on size & reach alone to go along with some defensive athleticism.

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I created the thread but didn't add the article body because of all the adverts spaced in between each section. That was a Mod or you.

I added the body later. Finally figured out how to eliminate ads when I use my phone 

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

I will need to do more checking on him, but here’s the article! Bleacher, so “consider the source”.

La'Michael Pettway, Arkansas Wide Receiver

6 OF 10

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

The 2018 season was forgettable for the Arkansas Razorbacks and first-year coach Chad Morris, as they won just two games and got dominated by North Texas.

What followed that 2-10 campaign is even more alarming, as 10 players have left the program. With a huge, talented recruiting class coming in, it may not be such a bad idea to replace some of the guys from the old regime.

One of the biggest losses, though, is leading receiver La'Michael Pettway, who won't play for the Hogs in 2019, even though they're getting transfer Ben Hicks to come over and throw passes to what looks like a good young stable of receivers.

Pettway finished 2018 with 30 catches for 499 yards and four touchdowns, but the former Arkansas high school standout will leave. So, where will he land?

Potential destinations haven't surfaced yet, but Pettway is an Alabama native despite playing his high school ball in Arkansas. With the ties Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has to that state, is it possible Pettway will return to it?

He doesn't appear to be in a hurry to make a decision, and while there are any number of places that would love to have him, it's a natural connection for him to head to the Plains and play for AU.

It would be a big deal for the Tigers, who will be breaking in a new quarterback after Jarrett Stidham bolted to the NFL draft. Will the lack of an established signal-caller deter Pettway from making that leap? It's possible, but we'll roll with the Tigers.

Prediction: Auburn

Edited by toddc

1 hour ago, AUMASTERS said:

Well there was a couple highlights of him at tailback so I assume he is a back-up plan in case MAR picks Georgia or Miami (j/k); E said he might have been  offered as an Offensive Lineman (while there were no highlight's of him there  , he does appear to be athletic & may transition to OL fairly well). 

I almost spit my drink reading that...  HAHA  6'8" 280 tailback.  HAHAHA  There is an every down back for ya.