2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

He’s be a great addition, and he’d either take the Center spot or force Horton inside. Braun is a man. 

10 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Who the hell are we recruiting on the offensive line????!!!!

Bell, Henry, Wisdom Asaboro, & have moved Alec Jackson from DE to OT.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Bell, Henry, Wisdom Asaboro, & have moved Alec Jackson from DE to OT.

If we get those 3 it would be a good day!

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

If we get those 3 it would be a good day!

You know it! And Asaboro later in February would be a nice cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

You know it! And Asaboro later in February would be a nice cap.

Still no word on him giving us an official or did I miss it? I’m assuming it would be after signing day if so.

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

Still no word on him giving us an official or did I miss it? I’m assuming it would be after signing day if so.

It would be. Since he just reclassified unlikely he will be ready to sign on NSD...knocking on wood as I type this.

Edited by ellitor

31 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

That Alec Jackson info is interesting.  I missed that one. 

20 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Me too.  Interesting.

Check my posts daily. I've posted it nearly 10 times the pasty 2 weeks.

• Haha 1

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/02/national-signing-day-2019-who-might-choose-auburn-on-feb-6.html

National Signing Day 2019: Who might choose Auburn on Feb. 6
Updated 10:15 AM; Posted 10:03 AM
Hoover's George Pickens puts a move on Thompson's Gage Motes during a high school football game at the Hoover Met in Hoover, Ala., Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. (Dennis Victory/preps@al.com)
Hoover's George Pickens puts a move on Thompson's Gage Motes during a high school football game at the Hoover Met in Hoover, Ala., Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. (Dennis Victory/preps@al.com) (Dennis Victory)

shares
By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com
Because of the Early Signing Period, the annual National Signing Day has rightfully taken a back seat. Auburn signed 16 players on Dec. 19, and that was the bulk of the class, to be sure. However, with Wednesday approaching, there’s a chance AU gets around 6-8 more signatures before it’s all said and done.

Let’s take a look at what to watch for as Wednesday approaches.

George Pickens

Pickens is a five-star wide receiver, rated by 247Sports as the best player in all of Alabama. He’s just south of 6-foot-4, and 190 pounds, and is committed to Auburn. If he were to sign, he would join LB Owen Pappoe as the jewels of a stacked recruiting class.

However, Pickens wouldn’t appear a lock to sign. He has been committed since before the Early Signing Period, but elected not to sign then. He took an official visit to Auburn, but didn’t speak with reporters. He consistently has erred on the side of not giving interviews.

Rivals is reporting that Georgia and Tennessee are both making hard pushes to flip Pickens. It probably won’t be clear until Wednesday what happens here.

Running Back Options

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn made an visit to four-star Florida RB Mark-Antony Richards. The No. 12 player in a very talent-rich state would be a great pickup for Auburn, and 247Sports projects that AU is his most likely destination. He’s 6-foot-1, and 195 pounds, and would bolster and RB group that lost a top talent in Asa Martin after this season.

But there’s more to this story. Jamious Griffin, who recently took an official visit to Auburn, decommitted from North Carolina State shortly thereafter. He’s the No. 25 RB in the country, according to 247Sports composite, and is 5-foot-10, 205 pounds. However, he appears more likely to head to Georgia Tech, or back to N.C. State, than go to Auburn.

There’s also the added wildcard that both have probably spoken to new RB coach Carnell Williams. Maybe he has some recruiting magic that none of us know about.

Offensive Line

Auburn should feel very confident about landing Kamaar Bell, a three-start Georgia OG that Auburn will use as a center, if they land him. Bell all but committed on his official visit, saying that there was nothing left for Auburn to do, and they had basically convinced him.

Still, he took an official visit to Florida State last week, and is visiting Indiana this week, so there are no assurances. He’s 6-foot-3, and 320 pounds.

Ira Henry, an offensive tackle, tweeted about his visit with Gus Malzahn and JB Grimes on Thursday. Auburn’s main competition is Florida State, but 247Sports projects he’s likely to come to AU.

Other potential signees

Charles Moore: The 6-foot-4, 268-pound defensive end from Mississippi appears likely to choose Auburn, according to 247Sports. However, he’s taken visits to FSU and LSU, and anything is on the table.

Octavius Brothers: 247Sports says there is a 100 percent chance he is coming to Auburn, though he hasn’t officially committed yet. The three-star, 6-foot-2, 210-pould OLB took a visit on Jan. 11.

Kameron Brown: Brown is the surest thing on Wednesday. The younger brother of AU rising senior Derrick Brown is a two-star ILB from Georgia. He’s 6-foot, 222 pounds, and committed on Jan. 22.

• Thanks 1

Is there any highly ranked potential surprise for us ? Just curious. 

I’m going to be pissed if we lose Pickens, but Gus has given our competition plenty to use against us. I doubt it will happen, but replacing Grimes after NSD with a quality OL coach would give me more hope and show growth in Gus’ part as a HC. I realize it is a tall task attracting quality assistants for what might be a one year gig, but only Gus can get himself out of the mess he created. 

War Eagle 

3 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Is there any highly ranked potential surprise for us ?

No. MAR & Moore are the only highly ranked prospects left on our board.

48 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Is there any highly ranked potential surprise for us ? Just curious. 

I’m going to be pissed if we lose Pickens, but Gus has given our competition plenty to use against us. I doubt it will happen, but replacing Grimes after NSD with a quality OL coach would give me more hope and show growth in Gus’ part as a HC. I realize it is a tall task attracting quality assistants for what might be a one year gig, but only Gus can get himself out of the mess he created. 

War Eagle 

Who is he gonna be able to hire this year who is better? At this point I think we leave it alone.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, toddc said:

Who is he gonna be able to hire this year who is better? At this point I think we leave it alone.

Probably could poach the OL Coach from Memphis. I here he's an up & comer. And I just noticed he has an indirect connection to Gus.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Probably could poach the OL Coach from Memphis. I here he's an up & comer. And I just noticed he has an indirect connection to Gus.

We got the oc, so maybe we take him too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think this could be a smart hire. There are several highly rated OL in Memphis next year that he could have connections with.

Our (or my) new favorite beat writer (Bum) for al.com seems to be casting doubts about some  of our targets.....maybe just his way of getting his clicks......guess I will just wait until signing day to see if the guy has earned any credibility going forward. 

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

There are several highly rated OL in Memphis next year that he could have connections with. 

Yup. Cuz individual recruit rankings are always everything, especially a year out from the class being signed.

• Dislike 2

56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Our (or my) new favorite beat writer (Bum) for al.com seems to be casting doubts about some  of our targets.....maybe just his way of getting his clicks......guess I will just wait until signing day to see if the guy has earned any credibility going forward. 

Keith is far & away the most credible AU recruiting reporter. Ben "Mr. Man Bun" Wolk is 2nd. The rest don't matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1