2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Where Auburn stands with 5-star LB Owen Pappoe, elite T Wanya Morris day before decisions

Benjamin Wolk 

This will shock you: I’m having trouble getting questions not about 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe and 4-star tackle Wanya Morris.

That’s OK.

That’s the way it should be.

It’ll probably be that way for the Tuesday question of the day, too.

The long-awaited decision is finally upon us. Pappoe and Morris — along with high school teammates Kenyatta Watson and Kevin Harris — will make announcements Tuesday on a live TV broadcast from Sports and Social at the Battery Atlanta. (Side note: SEC Country will have its own coverage on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube beginning at 5:30 p.m. ET, so stay tuned).

Pappoe and Morris are the two Auburn has its sights set on.

In Morris’ case, the tea leaves don’t look great for Auburn.

He set up back-to-back official visits to Tennessee and Auburn. Morris and his mother took that trip to Knoxville two weekends ago. He didn’t make the planned trip to Auburn, according to sources, despite a continued effort late into Saturday. The Tigers’ best hope is likely his friendship with Auburn center commit Jakai Clark, but the cancelled official visit is generally a solid indication.

As for Pappoe, Auburn might be on the verge of its first 5-star commitment since Calvin Ashley (T.D. Moultry didn’t become a 5-star until after he was already committed). This is my third cycle covering Auburn recruiting, and it isn’t hyperbole to say Pappoe would be the most critical commitment in my time covering the program.

That’s what I expect to happen.

Auburn has come on strong this spring thanks to the work done by linebackers coach Travis Williams. Pappoe has visited Auburn many more times than has been reported, and there have been at least three reported Plains trips in the last two months.

Auburn needs a big — and I mean big — state of Georgia recruiting win against the University of Georgia. There may be no bigger prospect to do that than Pappoe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long way to go on OL recruiting. Morris is a MAJOR want, but he's not the only guy we're after. Even accepting that I don't know our priority list, we've had visits from Devontae Dobbs already. We've had multiple visits from Keondre Jones. We're in on Will Putnam. Those are all big time prospects. Morris would be a helluva start, but he's not the only fish out in the pond.

I guess some folks think we "missed" on Quick and Kight, but that's not true. They were never listening to anyone outside of Tuscaloosa. I'll wait to see who we actually sign before passing judgment on the OL class.

Why’s there an ad with a pic of a golfing Saban with a dip in his mouth on this thread? 

02EC75F6-1DAB-4282-9C04-9573D7F6A914.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Long way to go on OL recruiting. Morris is a MAJOR want, but he's not the only guy we're after. Even accepting that I don't know our priority list, we've had visits from Devontae Dobbs already. We've had multiple visits from Keondre Jones. We're in on Will Putnam. Those are all big time prospects. Morris would be a helluva start, but he's not the only fish out in the pond.

I guess some folks think we "missed" on Quick and Kight, but that's not true. They were never listening to anyone outside of Tuscaloosa. I'll wait to see who we actually sign before passing judgment on the OL class.

To add to this the priority list can & likely will change with the evaluation period going on from now through the end of May where our coaches are getting out and seeing what these kids can actually do.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

To add to this the priority list can & likely will change with the evaluation period going on from now through the end of May where our coaches are getting out and seeing what these kids can actually do.

Bringing it today, my friend. Appreciate the info.

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bringing it today, my friend. Appreciate the info.

source.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Well, when we had CJ, a NFL TE, we sure didn't utilize him very often.

He did make a crucial catch against Miss. St. but no, we didn't use him much. Probably won't use the next one much either, so I don't get all jacked up about TE recruiting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SIAP, from AU writer

1. I expect Auburn to land three commitments this week from high-profile athletes in the state of Georgia. Starting Monday, I think there could be plenty of momentum for Auburn on back-to-back-to-back days. It should be fairly obvious (if you read SEC Country regularly) who I think those three commits will be. Regardless, it’ll be nice for the Tigers to dip into the Peach State successfully. It should be a big week for Auburn, maybe the biggest since I started covering the Tigers two years ago.

https://www.seccountry.com/recruiting/player/luke-deal/

Luke Deal seemed to really enjoy us as well

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

He did make a crucial catch against Miss. St. but no, we didn't use him much. Probably won't use the next one much either, so I don't get all jacked up about TE recruiting.

Lindsey didn't throw to them at ASU as much as I think people are hoping we will start doing here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Re: "back-to-back-to-back", who's announcing tomorrow?

I dunno? Lol I've been in a hole the last few weeks so I don't have any idea who might be in play soon. OP seems like a hot trend but I'm not sure when he announces.

Just now, Zeek said:

I dunno? Lol I've been in a hole the last few weeks so I don't have any idea who might be in play soon. OP seems like a hot trend but I'm not sure when he announces.

He's announcing at 6:30 EST today, and is today's expected commitment. Simpson was yesterday's. So I'm curious who is announcing tomorrow that he is referring to. I'm sure the information has been discussed somewhere in the recruiting forum and I should know, but... I don't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Re: "back-to-back-to-back", who's announcing tomorrow?

Sheffield seems to be the only other option.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Sheffield seems to be the only other option.

That's who people expect to pop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's who people expect to pop.

I wondered why Simpson didn't commit last weekend. They planned this all along. Each supposedly will commit back to back to back.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I wondered why Simpson didn't commit last weekend. They planned this all along. Each supposedly will commit back to back to back.

Where are you hearing this?

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Sorry, OP's recruiting thread now shows 5:00 EST.   :dunno:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry, OP's recruiting thread now shows 5:00 EST.   :dunno:

5;40-5:45 CT for OP.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

5;40-5:45 CT for OP.

And that's 6:40-6:45 for us ET people.  But keep in mind that the portion of the ceremony with Wanya is set to begin at 5:45 ET, which is really 4:45 CT.  But wait, I just saw another article that says Owen's is at 6:51 ET, or 5:51 CT.  For you Pacific folks, that would be 3:51.  Clear?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Where are you hearing this?

Just a guess.

No. 1 recruiting target for Owen Pappoe, Jakai Clark might surprise you — or it might be obvious

Wanya Morris committed to Tennessee over Auburn on Tuesday.
Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country

Owen Pappoe and Jakai Clark’s No. 1 recruiting target might surprise you.

Then again, it might not.

Auburn’s two commits from Grayson (Ga.) are set to be vocal leaders of the 2019 class. They have several prospects on their mind they’d like to see join them on the Plains. But when you ask 5-star linebacker Owen Pappoe who his No. 1 recruiting priority is, he gives an answer quite close to home.

“I’m going to try my hardest to get Wanya to flip. I’m going to be in his ear every day,” Pappoe said. “I was this close, this close [the last couple days], but he felt Tennessee was going to be the best choice for him. But that’s not going to stop me from being in his ear.”

Clark and Morris are close. He’d known for a few days his close offensive line friend would chosose the Volunteers over the Tigers. That’s not going to deter him from trying to flip his close friend.

He even gave Morris a tongue-in-cheek ultimatum.

“It’s the same thing [as Pappoe]. I’ve been trying, and I’m going to keep trying,” Clark said. “I want him to go wherever he’s happy. If we see him on the field, we’re still going to beat him, but I want to see him happy.”

I say leave the man alone but if that's what they want to do I won't stop em.

• Like 1

Kaboom! I think Wolk is the man when it comes to cruitin. He called this one a few weeks ago and I had never heard him this confident! He says there’s another one coming this week too.

Let me try posting this again but in the correct thread this time lol

OP updated. I tried to dwindle down the list so it's more manageable. Let me know if there is anyone of interest to add or if someone is off our radar to remove. War Eagle!

• Thanks 2