2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

We know what our glaring needs are. Look at our commitments so far. There’s the problem and it’s only going to get worse.

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

If all holds they will probably finish 1 or 2.  We will finish around 7.  I’m not sure we will ever recruit at the top 3 level ever regardless who the coach is... ever

I don’t really care about our ranking anymore. Re-rank a Gus top 10 class after two years and it would fall out of the top 25 due to the washouts, burnouts and defections. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

If all holds they will probably finish 1 or 2.  We will finish around 7.  I’m not sure we will ever recruit at the top 3 level ever regardless who the coach is... ever

We do not have to be 1-3.  But you have to recruit with a focus.   Not having an O-Line or RB is a Malzahn issue.  

You  have to have the Joes to compete as a top 10 team and occasionally that top 10 ten will be a top 5 team.  

Edited by lala

The fail at recruiting OL is inexplicable. All the more so when you consider Gus’ O is predicated on the power running game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why can’t we use Gatewood like the way they use Fields?

Because he's not ready to run the scheme. 

We cannot just outscheme these teams.  Coaches are too good and have evolved.  We have to recruit with a focus. 

To compete against Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, Fla we need to have a top 10 class that meets needs.   Our lack of RB and OL the last few years is unacceptable and I think we will see the same on the DL next yr or the year after.   

• Like 2

Just now, The Six said:

Because he's not ready to run the scheme. 

Aren’t they both EE’s? Heck. Just run some wildcat. Aka find a lane n go.

It is not an issue of recruiting in general. Saben could easily take our talent and win a championship. People laugh at his “process” remark but I assure you he is correct. When he recruits folks he tells them If they come they better be prepared to give all they got everyday. Saben is not their friend he is their coach and hopefully their ticket onward . Watch his guys they not only know they are going to be in trouble for screwing up they expect it. All his players look at it from a business standpoint. That’s why someone like Hurts takes the demotion and stays because he trust Saben when he tells him to stay the course and get better. Gus he likes to be their friend. Impress them with his new car or coming over to his house and playing games. They know if they screw up it’s no big deal. Just look at JS in the fourth quarter on the sideline , after coming out with another 3 and out, and he is smiling and joking around. No worry Kristy and Gus will probably have him over for super Monday night anyway. Not his fault it’s Gus’s fault. Great coaches are great discipline coaches. Just the fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Six said:

Gus and company will need to adjust from taking "best available" to actually recruiting to fit a plan. 

But somebody else's plan.  ....not Gus' plan.

• Like 1

Heard last night that Nick Mullens, the new QQ for the 49ers, was coached by Chip Lindsey in HS and college. Weird, since Stidham doesn't appear to have improved in any area.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Heard last night that Nick Mullens, the new QQ for the 49ers, was coached by Chip Lindsey in HS and college. Weird, since Stidham doesn't appear to have improved in any area.

Gus will not allow Chip to do his job the way he wants to do it.  Chip has lost interest at this point, kind of like Lashlee did and like the next one will. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It is not an issue of recruiting in general. Saben could easily take our talent and win a championship. People laugh at his “process” remark but I assure you he is correct. When he recruits folks he tells them If they come they better be prepared to give all they got everyday. Saben is not their friend he is their coach and hopefully their ticket onward . Watch his guys they not only know they are going to be in trouble for screwing up they expect it. All his players look at it from a business standpoint. That’s why someone like Hurts takes the demotion and stays because he trust Saben when he tells him to stay the course and get better. Gus he likes to be their friend. Impress them with his new car or coming over to his house and playing games. They know if they screw up it’s no big deal. Just look at JS in the fourth quarter on the sideline , after coming out with another 3 and out, and he is smiling and joking around. No worry Kristy and Gus will probably have him over for super Monday night anyway. Not his fault it’s Gus’s fault. Great coaches are great discipline coaches. Just the fact.

If Saben (Auburn) had to coach against Saben (bama) every year what do you think his head to head Auburn record would be?

7 minutes ago, creed said:

If Saben (Auburn) had to coach against Saben (bama) every year what do you think his head to head Auburn record would be?

11-0 in November, 50% head to head with neither coach giving it away by being stupid.

• Love 2

12 minutes ago, creed said:

At least even. Remember he didn’t begin on top but was winning by his second year and he was doing it with players that were there when he got there and some he took out of JC. Same with Kirby he took over uga he has started at the bottom. Took away the players as well as the fans exceptance for mediocrity and replaced it with hard work ethics and a winning attitude . At AU our problem we are always looking for some quick fix. I would rather have a good coach come in and fix the problem. Which means Like Saben he will have to fire folks and run players off until everybody associated get the message that anything less than full commitment will not be accepted.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

At least even. Remember he didn’t begin on top but was inning by his second year and he was doing it with players that were there when he got there and some he took out of JC. Same with Kirby he took over uga he has started at the bottom. Took away the players as well as the fans exceptance for mediocrity and replaced it with hard work ethics and a winning attitude . At AU our problem we are always looking for some quick fix. I would rather have a good coach come in and fix the problem. Which means Ike Saben he will have to fire folks and run players off until everybody associated get the message that anything less than full commitment will not be accepted.

And we've had spurts of success (2010, 2013) which lead us to expect things like that are the norm when, in fact, they are the anomaly. 

Tuberville built a program like you are talking about there. Then he got sick/had personal problems, trusted his guys, and introduced the wrong idea as a "quick fix" to the changing landscape. Things have never been the same since.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

At least even. Remember he didn’t begin on top but was winning by his second year and he was doing it with players that were there when he got there and some he took out of JC. Same with Kirby he took over uga he has started at the bottom. Took away the players as well as the fans exceptance for mediocrity and replaced it with hard work ethics and a winning attitude . At AU our problem we are always looking for some quick fix. I would rather have a good coach come in and fix the problem. Which means Like Saben he will have to fire folks and run players off until everybody associated get the message that anything less than full commitment will not be accepted.

Good stuff.  Harbaugh took a while but finally has UM going and is about to run Cryer out with another "health issue".  Scott Frost struggled this year but I'll betcha they'll be dang good in 2-3 years.  Pat Dye took a couple years.  '83 was his 3rd year.

Whoever replaces Gus had better struggle a couple years and build a solid foundation and the fans need to understand that.  If they dominate the first year in....God help them.  

• Like 2

It really is a valid question when discussing who Gus recruits. It seems we take QBs every year that are the opposite of we are all led to believe is needed to have a good offense.  Either recruit dual threat qbs or dont.  This half assed take a guy and make him abandon his strengths to run this system is bs.  What is our identity? Why is Stidham our starting qb if we are going to run an offense that requires a running threat at qb to be good? It flat out doesnt make any sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Good stuff.  Harbaugh took a while but finally has UM going and is about to run Cryer out with another "health issue".  Scott Frost struggled this year but I'll betcha they'll be dang good in 2-3 years.  Pat Dye took a couple years.  '83 was his 3rd year.

Whoever replaces Gus had better struggle a couple years and build a solid foundation and the fans need to understand that.  If they dominate the first year in....God help them.  

That is why I said let’s not go after another magician. Let’s  find a good coach with some success that believes in hard work and being accountable for his results. Good coaches are not going to be demanding of high buyout because they believe in themselves . Offer instead greater result orientated money that is how you make good deals.Any coach worth his salt would be all over a contract laced with obtainable bonuses for good results.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Tubs problem was he let Jetgate get the best of him. After he proved them wrong he kept taunting them and quit focusing on being sucessful.

Tubs never had a record better than 9-4 before jet gate. He was a descent coach, but definitely inconsistent. He hasn't been more than an 8-5 anywhere else he has been. I dont get the love obsession with guy. He was better than average, but nothing special. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree with this. Unless the domination is more about power football and exerting your will on the opposition. Then, I might feel ok. Another thing I feel like folks dont talk about is winning more recruiting battles where the guy is not a juco or we dont have a built in Au advantage. Case in point we got Marlon Davidson due to his brother, got Braiden Smith's attention due to his sister being at Au, and will get Bo Nix due to Pat Nix connection. 

• Thanks 1