2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

7 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Tubs never had a record better than 9-4 before jet gate. He was a descent coach, but definitely inconsistent. He hasn't been more than an 8-5 anywhere else he has been. I dont get the love obsession with guy. He was better than average, but nothing special. 

Tubs was 85 - 40 here.  People like him because he was personable and made Alabama fear the thumb.  He did get complacent though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Tubs was 85 - 40 here.  People like him because he was personable and made Alabama fear the thumb.  He did get complacent though.

Dont get me wrong. He was personable and did consistently beat Bama. But they were weak sauce when he was here. He was better than average, but nothing great.  Basically 8-4. Just my opinion. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Tubs never had a record better than 9-4 before jet gate. He was a descent coach, but definitely inconsistent. He hasn't been more than an 8-5 anywhere else he has been. I dont get the love obsession with guy. He was better than average, but nothing special. 

The obsession is that he beat Bama six years in a row when they were down. He had a very good record against ranked teams but disappointed often against teams he should have beaten. He did have 2004 though and that endeared him to everyone. I liked him but somewhat agree with your post. He was inconsistent. 

11 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The obsession is that he beat Bama six years in a row when they were down. He had a very good record against ranked teams but disappointed often against teams he should have beaten. He did have 2004 though and that endeared him to everyone. I liked him but somewhat agree with your post. He was inconsistent. 

He also got maximum effort out of guys that werent 5 star recruits and coached them up to reach their potential. Something sorely lacking with Gus. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

IMO his biggest mistake was his loyalty to the BBQ Gang.  Had he let Al Baby run the offensive show completely, AU would have had even more success.  But, he hamstrung Borges with guys that (I believe) weren't on the same page and it conflicted.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Six said:

Because he's not ready to run the scheme. 

Its only about 4 plays with different dressing. Especially gone line, he would have perfect. Think he may have got hurt early on didn't want to waste for just goal line situations

Tubbs got lazy with the recruiting part of the job and Saban out worked him, kids today want to play in the NFL they have no preference or favorite college. That’s what Saban gives them the opportunity to be in the limelight every damn year, until Auburn gets this we will always be a few steps behind on the recruiting trail.

20 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we consistently recruit top 10-15 and develop them we are fine. The issue is that they will not be developed. 

We consistently recruit top 10-15, but there were glaring examples last night where we are light years behind the TOP 5 schools. Our DB on Godwin’s long TD run had zero chance to catch him. The speed differential looke like SEC vs Conference USA. Their RBs were stronger than our LBs and dragged them downfield 5-10 yards on several occasions. Throw in the lack of development, and UAT, UGA, and LSU are way ahead of us. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

At least even. Remember he didn’t begin on top but was winning by his second year and he was doing it with players that were there when he got there and some he took out of JC. Same with Kirby he took over uga he has started at the bottom. Took away the players as well as the fans exceptance for mediocrity and replaced it with hard work ethics and a winning attitude . At AU our problem we are always looking for some quick fix. I would rather have a good coach come in and fix the problem. Which means Like Saben he will have to fire folks and run players off until everybody associated get the message that anything less than full commitment will not be accepted.

Your post is correct, and it runs deeper than the football coach. Mal Moore was a visionary as an AD and helped him launch what he has accomplished. The Clemson AD has done the same for Dabo. Prior to Dr. Greene, we had 25 years of lifetime Auburn guys running things. Fine men maybe they were, but their resume didn’t reflect that of a CEO. AU has endured an amazing and perplexing amount of inconsistency the past 20-30 years. A period that long doesn’t reflect a coach or a coordinator or a QB. It reflects a cultural deficiency that permeates the organization. I’m praying that Dr. Greene has the knowledge and insight to make that his focus. We need a culture of Sustained excellence for our whole athletic department. Hopefully, when Gus does go, we get someone that AG can work with to reshape our entire culture for sustainment of excellence. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Recruiting needs to pick up
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

We consistently recruit top 10-15, but there were glaring examples last night where we are light years behind the TOP 5 schools. Our DB on Godwin’s long TD run had zero chance to catch him. The speed differential looke like SEC vs Conference USA. Their RBs were stronger than our LBs and dragged them downfield 5-10 yards on several occasions. Throw in the lack of development, and UAT, UGA, and LSU are way ahead of us. 

Our athletes are not light years behind when they step on campus though. But by the time players from the other schools have a year or so in S&C and practice, they are far better developed. That's where we fall behind. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

I’ll say this for Tubs he could make a three star play at 5 star level. He definitely coached them up, the reason he had too was because he was too lazy to recruit the 5 stars 😁. He could beat teams he wasn’t supposed to and lose to crappy teams. That’s why jetgate happened. He straightened up a little and AU did good . He just like to jab the admin after that by sneaking off to Arky and duck hunting while supposedly job hunting .

2 hours ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Tubbs got lazy with the recruiting part of the job and Saban out worked him, kids today want to play in the NFL they have no preference or favorite college. That’s what Saban gives them the opportunity to be in the limelight every damn year, until Auburn gets this we will always be a few steps behind on the recruiting trail.

Saben didn’t have much impact on Tubs. They only matched up in 2007. Tub never recruited against anyone wasn’t his bag. The reason he got fired is he kept messing with admin. They waited till he brought in Franklin and got curb stomped that year( by the way it wasn’t Franklins fault, Tubs guys never gave him a chance. Then admin had their shot and they kicked him out the door.

22 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Our athletes are not light years behind when they step on campus though. But by the time players from the other schools have a year or so in S&C and practice, they are far better developed. That's where we fall behind. 

And better coached as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Saben didn’t have much impact on Tubs. They only matched up in 2007. Tub never recruited against anyone wasn’t his bag. The reason he got fired is he kept messing with admin. They waited till he brought in Franklin and got curb stomped that year( by the way it wasn’t Franklins fault, Tubs guys never gave him a chance. Then admin had their shot and they kicked him out the door.

Saban kicked Tubbs teeth in for in state prospects in 2008. 2008 was also s really good year in state. Got basically everyone he wanted because he out worked Tubbs. There was some quote I read a while back where Tubbs basically said Saban wasnt going to be able to come in and take over the state quickly. I think Tubs underestimated him to be honest. Which is insane in retrospect. 

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Saban kicked Tubbs teeth in for in state prospects in 2008. 2008 was also s really good year in state. Got basically everyone he wanted because he out worked Tubbs. There was some quote I read a while back where Tubbs basically said Saban wasnt going to be able to come in and take over the state quickly. I think Tubs underestimated him to be honest. Which is insane in retrospect. 

I agree somewhat but Nicks big advantage coming in was he was able to use the media especially espn to inflate his initial presence and once that started that was why he generated his first #1 recruiting class by the media. Recruits are attracted to high ranking class rightly so, expecting to win championships. Nick uses everything in his path. Not knocking him 

23 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We’re fringe top 10, they’re top 2. Just don’t think that without inferior coaching we can also afford to be so lesser talented than them. 

It likely won't pick up til the coaching situations are settled.

23 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we consistently recruit top 10-15 and develop them we are fine. The issue is that they will not be developed. 

Player retention has been an issue also.

22 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

As it pertains to recruiting,  I think the problem  isn't the recruiting itself but who we're re recruiting. Gus constantly stresses the need for a strong running game but ths the offensive line continues to be horrible year after year. If you need to run the football,  shouldn't the main focus in recruiting be on Running backs and offensive linemen?

Unfortunately our OL coach is our worst recruiter & Horton has not been great the past few years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Weird, since Stidham doesn't appear to have improved in any area. 

Gus is micro managing Chip like he did Lashlee, not letting Chip do his job.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

We consistently recruit top 10-15, but there were glaring examples last night where we are light years behind the TOP 5 schools

Not really. Other than the OL we got out coached & out executed, not out talented.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our DB on Godwin’s long TD run had zero chance to catch him.

Not many if any DBs have a chance on him.

Their RBs were stronger than our LBs and dragged them downfield 5-10 yards on several occasions.

Because they were a lot fresher than our LB due to the progressive pounding our D has taken being on the field so much all season.

UAT, UGA, and LSU are way ahead of us. 

Bama yes. UGA not yet, & LSU no.

14 hours ago, around4ever said:

Gus will not allow Chip to do his job the way he wants to do it.  Chip has lost interest at this point, kind of like Lashlee did and like the next one will. 

Other than a Jeff Fisher, is there any other coach in recent history that allows himself to maintain such a modus of mediocrity and is unable to see he is the issue? 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:07 PM, Mikey said:

Gus was hired to run his own offense. An OC is hired to do what he's told to do. Did you watch Saturday's game? Fisher calls his own plays. Spurrier called his own plays. The best game-day coach we've ever had at Auburn was Terry Bowden and he called his own plays. I think Gus needs to take back his offense and do what he does best, which is run his offense. If whoever the OC is doesn't want to follow instructions, he's in the wrong place.

Gus runs his own offense, and has for the most part of 2015-on (the dark days). Why would you want to see him run it whole-heartedly without any masquerade of an attempt of balance? We might not even score on scripted drives anymore

20 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus runs his own offense, and has for the most part of 2015-on (the dark days). Why would you want to see him run it whole-heartedly without any masquerade of an attempt of balance? We might not even score on scripted drives anymore

Who do think is scripting the drives?

I don't think Gus is doing what he was doing earlier in the area of play calling. It looks a lot different on the sidelines. I want him to run it whole-heartedly because if it goes back to what it used to be we're fine and if it doesn't get better he'll be gone with no excuses. I watched the 2013 Iron Bowl last week. Lost in the excitement of the Kick Six is the fact that our offense scored 28 other points and basically owned UAT the entire second half. It could be that others meddling in Gus's offense is the problem, not vice-versa.